PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon 2nd week/October sleep bag

Freeleo
07-27-2007, 10:17
can anyone share with me what temp rating sleeping bag would be sufficient for a hike into the grand canyon the second week of october

would a 40 degree bag work.....i was thinking of picking up a used one.......REI Kilo Flash +40 deg bag

any advice would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
jch

strez
07-27-2007, 10:20
I often camp and backpack in New Mexico in October. Our elevation is usually around 6,000 to 8,000 feet. We sometimes hit temperatures at night in the teens or low 20s. I usually take a 20-degree bag when I head out there (and a zero-degree bag for my permafrost wife).

Baum Trigger
07-27-2007, 10:42
I'll be doing a 120+ mile trip along the Tonto platform in Dec. and will use a 30 degree bag the whole way. If you're going to be in the canyon, I think a 30 or 40 should be ok, but if you're on the rim you'll want something a lot warmer, i.e. 15 or 20. It will be very cold on the rim (approx. 6000+ ft.). Good lcuk to you!

oldbear
07-27-2007, 12:08
You should be fine.There is normally a 30 degree temperature difference between Rim and River with the Rim being the colder of the two..Most GCN hiking takes place on the what's known as the Tonto Platform which is a shelf of Bright Angel Shale sitting on top of the Tapeats Sandstone. The Platform is about 1200' above the River. Most of your campsites' will be a just below [100'-300']the Platform.
Even if you opt to make a dry camp just above the Redwall to save you some distance on the way out, the 40 degree bag should be OK .

Freeleo
07-27-2007, 14:25
thanks to all for the feedback..it has helped me out with my decision

jch

burger
07-27-2007, 14:55
If you're planning to do any camping at or near the rim, I'd go with something a bit warmer than 40 degrees. I lived in Flagstaff for a while (that's just south of the Grand Canyon at the same elevation as the rim), and you can get snow in October out there. The average low in mid-October in Flag is about 30 degrees.

bigcranky
07-27-2007, 15:05
We had temps in the mid-30s on the North Rim in July last year. (Then it was 105 at Roaring Spring, but I digress...) I guess my point is that if you are going to do any camping on the Rim, a 40-F bag might not be sufficient in October.

Shutterbug
07-27-2007, 15:58
can anyone share with me what temp rating sleeping bag would be sufficient for a hike into the grand canyon the second week of october

would a 40 degree bag work.....i was thinking of picking up a used one.......REI Kilo Flash +40 deg bag

any advice would be much appreciated
thanks in advance
jch

I was there last October. I waited too late to get a permit to camp below the rim, so I just hiked down to Plateu Point and back up as a day hike. Where I was on the rim, a 40degree bag would not have been warm enough. If it were me, I would go for one a bit warmer.

Freeleo
07-27-2007, 16:15
we are taking the south kaibob down, camping...then going up bright angel.......camping @ indian gardens on our way out.....if that makes sense to you all....so would i be alright if i had enough clothes to layer up..or what about having an emergency blanket jsut in case...i am hoping to make this bag work as i could see it being used much more than if i buy the warmer bag.....i am getting excited about this trip

thanks
jch

Jimmers
07-27-2007, 17:55
If you'll be doing most of your camping below the Rim a 40 Deg. bag should be just fine for your trip. The only place you might be a little uncomfortable is up high near the rim. Just remember that the further down you go into the canyon the warmer it gets. When I did the Nankoweap Trail from the North Rim,in June, three years ago it was a crisp 62 degrees when I started off, and climbed to over 105 degrees by the time I reached the river.:eek: I'm sure you'll have better sleeping conditions than I did.:D

Have fun, the Grand Canyon is an incredible experience. Hiking it is one of my top two outdoor experiences. (The other being Canyonlands)

Shutterbug
07-27-2007, 19:16
...i am hoping to make this bag work as i could see it being used much more than if i buy the warmer bag.....i am getting excited about this trip

thanks
jch

Sure you can make the bag work. My comment about taking a warmer bag was just thinking about comfort, not safety. You will be perfectly safe with the 40 degree bag.

oldbear
07-27-2007, 19:50
we are taking the south kaibob down, camping...then going up bright angel.......camping @ indian gardens on our way out.....if that makes sense to you all....so would i be alright if i had enough clothes to layer up..or what about having an emergency blanket jsut in case...i am hoping to make this bag work as i could see it being used much more than if i buy the warmer bag.....i am getting excited about this trip

thanks
jch
You're going to be hiking in an area that the NPS has desigated as Corridor.
The Corridor is where most of the hiking and nights spent below Rim in GCN occurs
The rules of camping in the Corridor are : designated sites only and no more than two nights total per site.
All Corridor campsites are either on the Platform or basically at River level
so your 40 degree bag will work.
Be aware of the fact that the dowhill run on S.Kaibab eats knees and quads for breakfast.
The trail from Phantom Ranch to Indian Gardens shouldn't take more than 2.5 hours so you can leave fairly late in the day which gives you time to explore the area around the BACG.
A really neat alternative to Indian Gardens via the River Trail routing is going uphill on the S.Kaibab finding the Tonto East and then cruising along the Tonto until you find Indian Gardens.
The Tonto portion is a little over 4 miles on reasonably level ground.
The S.Kaibab portion is a little over 2 miles and about 1400 vertical feet.
If you allow 4.5 hrs, you'll make it easily .

Mooselook Marty
07-27-2007, 19:56
I stayed in a cabin on the rim in mid October last year. We had frosts each night. The coldest was 22 degrees. We took a couple of dayhikes early in the AM. It started getting warmer when you got down about 2,000 vertical feet below the canyon.

Marty
P.S. The Hermit Trail rocks. Kind of like the old west.

The Solemates
07-30-2007, 13:54
never been in october. but i have been in march, and it snowed on us at the north rim. the next day it was 60-degrees in the canyon. i would be prepared for anything.