PDA

View Full Version : I'll never make it!! or How did you guys start planning?

Fenrir
07-27-2007, 19:26
I want to go in March-April of 08 with the SO, but I feel like I'm not ready, I have a pack and a bag that I could use if I had to (I'm considering upgrading) and I have a tarp in mind, but I still haven't picked out things like boots or prepared any maildrops yet :eek: Am I too late? How/when did you guys start? Thanks for the help!

oldfivetango
07-27-2007, 20:29
Not everybody uses a mail drop:D
Oldfivetango

Jan LiteShoe
07-27-2007, 21:51
I want to go in March-April of 08 with the SO, but I feel like I'm not ready, I have a pack and a bag that I could use if I had to (I'm considering upgrading) and I have a tarp in mind, but I still haven't picked out things like boots or prepared any maildrops yet :eek: Am I too late? How/when did you guys start? Thanks for the help!

Wait until February of '08, then you'll REALLY feel "not ready!"
:)

Luckily, the moment you put boot or trail shoe to trail, the anxiety tends to disappear, and the adventure begins.

I used trail shoes, others prefer light boots - and I only used maildrops through Hot Springs, just to get a feel for resupply. I used Baltimore Jack's crib sheet (now posted on this site). Once I saw how easy resupply was going to be, I just checked my guidebook for a likely spot up ahead, and sent any bounce box with extras there.

Really, with a few basics in place, the trail teaches you what to do. Prior to that, try to get to the ALDHA Gathering this October (http://www.aldha.org); it's like thru-hiker school! You will be immediately accepted into the fold, and there will be experience aplenty willing to assist. Not to mention great programs that will set your wanderlusting heart a'fire ...

Fenrir
07-27-2007, 21:56
Thanks again for the help guys, yet another reason to love this site, someone always has a word of support or suggestion! I'm looking at doing mail drops for possible cost savings, but mostly because I'm vegan, I've been meaning to ask the food forum for advice :-? I've read Baltimore Jack's sheet and it made me feel a bit less overwhelmed. I've heard in various places that you pick up a lot on the trail and it makes sense, but I still worry :D. Thanks again and if there are any other tips please keep posting!

Blissful
07-27-2007, 21:57

You still have time plenty of prep time (8-9 months). We didn't really get going on our maildrops until the first of the year (my start date was March 5th). Read up on Jack's resupply list too. We used maildrops and created our own dinners etc because the thought of eating the same old stuff makes me sick. The prices of resupply at convenience stores is unreal. Even some of the major grocery stores esp down south I thought were pricey. And you can do a lot more with food in drops and get the stuff you like. Some say drops are a pain because of pick-up and getting there at the PO late or on a weekend. It may happen once or twice if you use a lot of drops. But so many hostels and motels now accept drops that it really isn't an issue, IMO.

The fall is also a great time to get the rest of your gear together. Just take the prep one step at a time, like the journey on a whole. :)

Tha Wookie
07-28-2007, 03:06
relax. The AT takes mostly mental planning. You can buy food along the way. Even if you think you get all the gear figured out before hand you'll probably end up making some changes. I understand how intimidating it can be, but mental fortitude is the #1 thing to prep yourself with. So start now, and relax. You've got plently of time.

Appalachian Tater
07-28-2007, 03:08
At this point, getting together a complete gear list and posting it here for suggestions would be a good idea.

Check out food forum here for information about being vegetarian on the trail.

Grinder
07-28-2007, 07:28
Get your big four . pack, sleep shelter, cook.

Put them on and hike for a weekend or two.

Then the important to you questions will bubble up to the top.

miles of smiles
Tom

Egads
07-28-2007, 09:12
The best way to prepare for a thru hike is to show up at REI 10 minutes before closing time the day before you depart on your thru hike and bring $3k to waste.

You'll start leaving the heavy crap behind at the first few shelters for other opportunistic hikers to pick up.

Then you will want to replace half of your gear when you get to Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap.

Seriously, check the gear lists of other experienced hikers (does not have to be a thru). Buy the basics (shelter, pack, bag, pad, cook set) & go out for weekend shake down hikes (preferably with someone w/ experience). Spend the most $ on your bag & shelter. Continue buying accessories / clothing, upgrading as you gain experience. Ditch the cotton, buy lightweight gear. You don't need heavy hiker boots, get the low cuts. I believe in natural fibers for insulation, wool & down.

Count on this, you won't get it right the 1st time. That is why you need shake down hikes.

Egads

superman
07-28-2007, 09:22
If your feet aren't happy wou won't smile so much. I saw many people go home because they didn't have the right footware.
The gear that you start with may not be the gear you finish with. Don't fall in love with it. If it isn't right change it. It isn't worth messing up your hike for a piece of gear. Life is good...enjoy.

Krewzer
07-29-2007, 10:13
Wait until February of '08, then you'll REALLY feel "not ready!"

LOL.

No, you're not too late. My problem was starting to early. Every day I decided I needed something else. Finally got to Neel's Gap and sent most of it home.

Good advice from everyone here. Especially about the ALDHA Gatherihng.

Take a cold weekend hike or two, to see how your new gear is working for you; how it feels on your back, hips, legs and feet.

And if it's rainy...much the better, that's a real test. :p

Fenrir
07-30-2007, 16:10
Finding cold, rainy hikes near home is going to be a problem! Here in Vegas all we got is :sun. Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire, although I'm trying to get down to Joshua Tree, but thats only 99 instead of 110+

Krewzer
07-30-2007, 16:42
Finding cold, rainy hikes near home is going to be a problem! Here in Vegas all we got is :sun. Red Rock Canyon and the Valley of Fire, although I'm trying to get down to Joshua Tree, but thats only 99 instead of 110+

LOL. Just when I thought I knew it all.

I guess "chill out" wouldn't be very good advice either.....:p