PDA

View Full Version : When do you hike most often?

EarlyRiser
09-27-2002, 17:37
What season do you most often hike in?

ez-does-it
09-28-2002, 10:21
:)
The poll says what season do you hike in I voted but have to say all four I am always out on the trail just like a mail man, wind,rain,snow,sleet and hail I love being out there.
Well this is my $0.02 worth.

Peaks
10-02-2002, 08:10
Maybe the poll should ask: What's your favorite season to hike in?

chris
10-08-2002, 12:09
The problem is, my favorite season to hike depends on where I am hiking. For example, summer in the Sierras or Rockies, spring in southern Appalachia, fall in the Sierras or Smokys, Death Valley in winter.

Nightwalker
12-08-2003, 20:24
There should be an "all" response available. Hopefully one can be added, which is my vote. :)

Frank

c.coyle
12-08-2003, 22:54
What season do you most often hike in?

All year 'round. Had the snowshoes out this weekend. :dance

cabalot
12-08-2003, 23:07
fall colors are awesome but hiking in the spring right after everything has bloomed and its not to hot yet is my favorite. i hike all year and love dry summers and snowy winters but... during the spring i have this extra motivation knowing the days are getting longer therefore so are my hikes, and after the hot summer of swimming during the day and drinking beer in front of the campfire at night i still get the warm fall days and brisk fall nights. the only bummer is knowing the days are then getting shorter, but then Christmas time comes and i get new gear.

MedicineMan
12-08-2003, 23:32
We hike year'round and paddle year'round....sometimes a bit choosy about the weather, for instance we have the McAfee Knob section scheduled for next Sun-Tues but it looks like rain, and that is a section I want to see, so we may opt for a hike in Pisgah or Cherokee NF's and wait for a better chance of views off the Tinkers...
We even hike through the week, be it around the neighborhood or on a close by mountain-nothing major-20-45min jaunts just to get the aerobic in, today it was resistance on the machines and I will pay the price all night!

Doctari
12-08-2003, 23:47
I voted Spring, and for the most part that is when I hike. I also get time early summer, occasionally.
It's a time thing for me: rehersal for the Renaissance Fair starts in mid June. The fair starts late August & goes to mid October. On top of that I work 7 12 hr shifts out of 14 days (7 on 7 off) then I have to start working to save up for next years hike & fair.

If I had my way, I would hike year round. I even like hiking/camping in winter :sun

Doctari.

Streamweaver
12-09-2003, 01:49
Fall is my favorite season ,but the only time I dont like to hike is when its real hot and muggy!!! Streamweaver

celt
12-09-2003, 06:58
I'd vote for year round too. I cross-country skiied on the A.T. yesterday.

Rain Man
12-09-2003, 12:14
I'd vote for year round too. I cross-country skied on the A.T. yesterday.

HEY!!!! Isn't that kind of mechanized transportation illegal on the AT?!!!!

The way I look at it, snowshoes are pushing the envelope as it is!!! LOL

:jump

Lone Wolf
12-09-2003, 12:17
I ride a bike almost every day on the AT.

DebW
12-09-2003, 13:23
I hike all seasons except spring in New England. That's mud season (or slush season, or postholing season, or the season of deep running water on every trail). Spring is also time to clear the blowdowns and get the trails open again, so I'm out there anyway, just not going very far.

Jaybird
01-26-2004, 10:29
..."Walking with Spring"

kinda says it all! (as does its contents)

see ya'll UP the trail (this spring!) :D

Catsgoing
03-14-2005, 23:17
Florida hiking is very boring. I do some hiking here.

The beauty of hiking isn't the same as up north in the mountains.

Kayaking is great here. Very pretty sites to see and wild life...

:-?

Spirit Walker
03-15-2005, 15:23
I hike year around - we're out almost every weekend. But I do most of my backpacking in the summer and fall.

steve hiker
03-15-2005, 15:39
Winter and fall. Won't be long until I go into hibernation. Unless I can get to the Pacific Coast (the WCT, not the PCT) this summer.

Nameless
03-16-2005, 05:47
Born and raised Alaskan, but i prefer hiking above zero, so i stick to the summer. My legs are starting to itch though, i will probably be out before too long (assuming it doesnt drop to 30-50 bellow zero any time soon, it can... but i'm optomistic, so it wont)

Pink (the hair is no longer pink itself, more of a red now...)

Kerosene
03-16-2005, 19:19
Interesting that 40% of the respondents voted Fall, almost twice as many as summer. There aren't nearly as many people on the Trail once school starts as there are between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Fall hiking, especially as the leaves change and the bugs die off, is the best.

Buckingham
07-23-2005, 12:37
Me and my buds almost always go in the fall, perfect weather for hiking in the day, nice and cool for sleeping at night. We're just biding our time until September when we finally get to hit the trail again. Plus everyone else at my work takes their vacation during the summer, and they all battle to get the "good summer" weeks off. I can take off any time I want in the fall, because nobody else takes their vacation then.
:banana

B Thrash
08-18-2005, 19:28
Hiked them all but I have got to say the fall.

teachergal
08-18-2005, 21:34
I hate the heat/humidity of summer here in the mid-atlantic....only prob is that summer is when I have the most time!!!!

fiddlehead
08-18-2005, 22:15
here in thailand there are only two seasons: high and low although there are no long distance trails, hiking is better in low season but i'll go whenever i can

LIhikers
08-19-2005, 14:30
While my wife and I do a section of the AT during the summer we do more hiking during the other 3 seasons with the most in the winter time. During summer there's too many other things compeating for our free time. During winter there's much less to do so hiking and camping get more time.