PDA

View Full Version : Trial Delayed

Mike Drinkuth
10-20-2003, 17:11
Darrell David Rice, accused of the murder of two female hikers in Shenandoah National Park in 1996, was scheduled to be tried today. His trial was delayed until Nov. 3

here's a link...
http://www.wmtw.com/Global/story.asp?S=1488753

I sure hopes that DNA proves conclusive so the families of the victims (and the trail itself) can have some closure on this horrible tragedy.
(and mabye this scumbag will never see the light of day again)

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2003, 18:38
Thanks, Mike, for passing this news along. And while I've no wish to debate the death penalty here, I must say I disagree with Mike on one point: Full closure in this matter will not come about by insuring that the perpetrator of this crime will "never again see the light of day". Happily, Virginia is fairly enlightened about such matters, at least when compared to New England, where I live. Virginia (along with the majority of the nation's citizens), feels that full closure in these matters truly occurs only when the guilty party is as dead as his innocent victims, and I must say that I wholeheartedly concur. I wish the perpetrator a fair and speedy trial; upon its conclusion, if he's found guilty, then I look forward to hearing that the Commonweath bestows on him the same mercy he showed his victims, i.e. none whatsoever. If it means a delay of the trial in order to expedite this process, well, I'm all for it.

tlbj6142
10-20-2003, 20:54
Why has it taken 5-6 years for the trail to begin? The above article didn't really go into much detail.

Hikerhead
10-20-2003, 21:10
He's been in prison for a few years for running down a female biker on the Parkway before he was charged with this crime. He didn't kill the bikerl, just knocked her off the bike and tried to kidnap her, she fault him off. If memory serves me right, he ran this girl over before he killed the other two.

I agree with Jack......If he's found to be guilty, he should be shown no mercy.

Skyline
10-21-2003, 12:55
A more detailed story HERE:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55944-2003Oct20.html