PDA

View Full Version : Who offers instructions on the finer points of thru-hiking?

mobileman
07-28-2007, 02:12
Who offers instructions, information, knowledge or what have you on all facets of thru-hiking the AT.

mobileman
07-28-2007, 05:31
maybe my question is'nt specific enough? Where are , when are, group meetings, gatherings, etc. Where are sources of experienced information? What books are recomended? Who are good sources of good information? Who, what, when, where, why and how? I'm sure I'd like to hike the AT starting late March, 2008. My starting point is now, gathering as much information as you all are willing to give. Thanks

Roland
07-28-2007, 05:49
Bill,

Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) holds an annual event called The Gathering. This year, it will be held in Gettysburg, PA. Learn more by clicking here. (http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm)

Warren Doyle (http://warrendoyle.com/) advertises the Appalachian Trail Institute. Taught over a long-weekend at the college where he's employed, the course seems to focus less on gear and more on attitude. Warren will tell you that it's what is in your head and in your heart that will get you to Katahdin, not expensive gear.

A group has been getting together, in the winter, for an event they call the Southern Ruck (SORUCK). Search the forum, for more information.

Whiteblaze is a great repository of information. Don't forget to check-out the articles section.

dixicritter
07-28-2007, 09:57
Another resource is the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC). You can learn more about them by clicking here. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1423119/k.BEA0/Home.htm)

wilconow
07-28-2007, 12:39
The best thing you can do is to go on backpacking trips

Lauriep
07-28-2007, 14:11
ATC has a list of nine A.T. thru-hiking or related workshops and gatherings on the our Web site at http://www.appalachiantrail.org/thruhiking/workshops.

Laurie Potteiger
Information Services Manager
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425-0807
[email protected]

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is a volunteer-based nonprofit organization dedicated to the conservation of the 2,175-mile Appalachian National Scenic Trail, a 250,000-acre greenway extending from Maine to Georgia. Our mission is to ensure that future generations will enjoy the clean air and water, scenic vistas, wildlife and opportunities for recreation and renewal along the entire Trail corridor.

emerald
07-28-2007, 14:16
Read some journals here (http://www.trailjournals.com) to get some sense of what hiking the A.T. is really like. Don't overlook journals contributed by those who didn't complete their hikes. Valuable information may be found there too.

Hike -- maybe bank -- some easy, some harder A.T. sections to get a clear sense of what you're about to undertake. You'll benefit in many ways as you begin to sort out your gear issues and discover if it's something you really want to do.

SawnieRobertson
07-28-2007, 14:42
Bill, you are already at the right place. And there are others. Each has its own peculiar take on the common subject. All of the above suggestions are excellent. Then there are the links. Then there are the DVDs, the videos, the books. Immerse yourself in the whole picture. Go to a sports podiatrist to make sure that all is well with your feet. Work out faithfully, including, if you would a little very low level climbing. It's amazing how often that knowledge can come in handy. Be at the Gathering. Be at the Southern Ruck. Ask your questions. Weigh the answers carefully. And WELCOME to the AT Community.--Kinnickinic

Tha Wookie
07-28-2007, 15:12
I teach one-on-one backpacking courses for highly motivated clients.

My personal process eliminates the long and costly process of trial and error, and weeds out all the different preferences on hiking styles customized to your interests and current skill level.

Contact me if you are interested.

warraghiyagey
07-28-2007, 16:52
Who offers instructions, information, knowledge or what have you on all facets of thru-hiking the AT.

Hey Bill,
The previously mentioned sites will be good sources of info. As well if you were to go to any REI or EMS you will generally find at least one employee who has hiked the entire trail or a great distance of it as well as other trails that would give them the experience to offer solid tips.
You may however want to keep your eyes open for the good energy advice as even on this site you will find so many acidic opinions that may be contrary to the spirit of hiking the AT and if it's a spiritual journey you're seeking, these opinions could become a downright crushing blow to your sensibilities.
You may also want to avoid people wishing to sell you their program (opinions) and seek that which is just related experience of their own journeys.
Browsing journals as someone mentioned may be the best way for you to gather info as you have control over the info you receive.
Best of luck in your planning and journey.
The best peice of advice I ever received (and I didn't seek much) came from an EMS employee in Syracuse who had thru-hiked the AT. As I was leaving I asked him if he had any tips that I might find useful. His words summed it all up with a smile - he simply said "Enjoy your hike."
Peace

buckowens
07-28-2007, 18:19
When me and Roo hiked GA in June, we ran into 9 former thru hikers in 11 days on the trail. They were very helpful for information and courteous when dispensing it.

It must get into your blood as they can't stay away from the trail.

Roo and I leave again tomorrow for a week trip... When we get back we are going to have to check into the "Benton MacKaye Clinic" to try to get right again!!!:D :banana

iliketacos
07-28-2007, 21:46
Bill,

Just keep asking questions here like I do. Good luck.

Tennessee Viking
07-28-2007, 23:35
Mostly its by word of mouth of other hikers you meet on trail, outfitter shops, and people who completed the trail.

Reading the trail guides helps give an idea of the land and elevation.

Thru hiking books I would trust to much. Because info and equipment on thru hiking is always changing.

TJ aka Teej
07-29-2007, 15:24
Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Bill! :welcome

Check out the ATC links, consider attending this fall's Gathering and going to some of the free workshops, and take a look at the ATC's official guide "The ALDHA Thruhikers' Companion", which you can purchase on the ATC site or view for free at:

http://www.aldha.org/companyn/intro07.pdf

And think about taking a few 2-3 night backpacking trips. You'll learn more about what you need to know by hitting the trail!

rickb
07-29-2007, 17:53
Around here former thru hikers working at REI stores will put on "for fee" seminars with some regularity. The AMC also puts on seminars at thier facilities in NY and NH (and perhaps else where). Here is the one that googled up first-- this one even throws in a happy hour so I suspect these hikers are the real deal.
Fri–Sun, Nov 30 - Dec 2. AT Thru-Hike Planning Weekend at Mohican. This weekend workshop will provide you with information on how to plan for and complete an AT thru-hike. It will be based on personal experience and lessons learned on the Trail, covering what did and did not work for the thru-hikers Roger & Carole Homeyer. Fee $95/m, $105/nm includes 2 nights lodging; 2 light breakfasts and Sat happy hour & dinner. Hosts:Carole & Roger Homeyer.Register by emailing or calling Carole & Roger at [email protected] or 570-689-2024.NCA 9:30.If I were you I might look up a recent hiker of a similar background, and get together for a some BBQ and BS. Used to be the ATC could help one meet up with former hikers in thier area who volunteered for such. If you can't find names at www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) give the ATC a call.

Heater
07-29-2007, 18:13
Hey Bill,
The previously mentioned sites will be good sources of info. As well if you were to go to any REI or EMS you will generally find at least one employee who has hiked the entire trail or a great distance of it as well as other trails that would give them the experience to offer solid tips.

Peace

I'm not sure about EMS but REI hosts backpacking trips, workshops and even some maintenance trips local to the area. That may be of some help.

Appalachian Tater
07-30-2007, 13:02
It is certainly not necessary to pay anyone to teach you about backpacking. There is enough information provided free of charge by experienced hikers on this website and elsewhere on the internet for a totally inexperienced hiker to complete a successful thru-hike. Once on the trail, you learn fast and there are plenty of other people around willing to share knowledge free of charge if you start in the spring. Some things you're only going to learn by experience anyway.

mobileman
08-01-2007, 02:14
What are the better books(good hiker ) to read?

Heater
08-01-2007, 03:18

The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. (RIP)
Beyond Backpacking by Jardine.

Those are the two most popular.

Definately "The Complete Walker", though.

jesse
08-01-2007, 10:25
imobileman
This site has all the info you need. I have noticed there are varying opinions on just about every subject related to hiking. Read all the opinions and choose what works for you.
Do you have all your gear? If not, there is an outfitter located at Neels Gap on the AT in Georgia that has a great reputation http://www.mountaincrossings.com/ I hear about many hikers who start out with the wrong gear, only to get to Neels Gap and buy all new gear. What a waste. If practical you might think about driving up and visiting the guys at Mountian Crossing now, purchase the right gear before your hike. While there you could do a shakedown hike. After that you will know more than most of the 2008 newbies.

Appalachian Tater
08-01-2007, 10:29

Start with the articles here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=366

As far as the trail itself:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

If you read all the articles 95% of your questions will be answered and you can ask the other 5% on the forums here.

mobileman
08-01-2007, 20:17
I went to neels gap and Winton was a great help in getting me started with gear. According to him, I now have enough gear to go on some trial hikes. My first will be in mid August. Of course the big one will start with springer in the spring. Thanks to all the hikers who have responded to this post. I'm eager for more information.

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2007, 20:54
Winton is a great resource and always has been.....and he won't charge you for his advice or try and flog you into taking a paid "workshop" either.

Other folks have got it right. You don't need to take classes or seminars or for heaven's sake, you don't need to PAY anyone to learn about long distance hiking or backpacking. Save your money for gear or pizza.

Sounds like you're off to a great start all on your own.....anything else comes up, any questions or problems, run 'em by the folks here. We might not be right all the time, but at least we won't charge you either!!

TJ aka Teej
08-02-2007, 07:28
What are the better books (good hiker) to read?
Start here:

Walking With Spring by Earl Shaffer

http://www.earlshaffer.com/publications.html

Jaybird
08-02-2007, 07:37

]if you cant get your needed Info here...try ATC website:

www.appalachiantrail.org

or you can contact your nearest local hiking club

Tha Wookie
08-02-2007, 09:41
Winton is a great resource and always has been.....and he won't charge you for his advice or try and flog you into taking a paid "workshop" either.

Other folks have got it right. You don't need to take classes or seminars or for heaven's sake, you don't need to PAY anyone to learn about long distance hiking or backpacking. Save your money for gear or pizza.

Sounds like you're off to a great start all on your own.....anything else comes up, any questions or problems, run 'em by the folks here. We might not be right all the time, but at least we won't charge you either!!

Winton does participate in paid workshops for his professional advice. Although I doubt he'd flog anyone. You're right, he readily gives free advice to about anyone who asks.

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2007, 11:03
Winton does indeed offer free advice to anyone who asks.....and so does Wookie!

Lotsa good people out there willing to help the new guys.

digger51
08-02-2007, 12:17
My memory fades as I get older, but didn't Jack put together an information packet on here a year or so ago?

Alligator
08-02-2007, 12:38
My memory fades as I get older, but didn't Jack put together an information packet on here a year or so ago?Yes. It is under the WB menu bar above, the Thru Hiking Info pull down menu, then prep articles. He has the AT Resupply Series.