PDA

View Full Version : What kind of scale do you use?

RockStar
07-28-2007, 21:11
I am looking into buying a scale and overwhelmed! There are SO MANY. I may even buy one that does small measurements and some sort of hanging scale to weight my pack and other large items.

What kind of scale have you had success with? I know a lot about electronics but, nothing about digital scales.

iliketacos
07-28-2007, 21:27
Rockstar,

I used a fishing scale from bass pro:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=13327&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

The scale worked pretty well, I checked it against weights and other scales to measure its accuracy. It worked well when measuring small items, I would put small items in a plastic shopping bag, or lunch baggy and/or hang larger items from the scale itself. I could also load my whole pack and hang it from the scale. I hung the scale from a latch at the top of my door. It was a neat find and it worked well. It has a weight limit of 50 lbs and measures pretty well in the low ounces. Just remember to check whether your looking at kg. or lbs. ;) I'm interested to see what other people used. Good luck.

iliketacos
07-28-2007, 21:30
I think that should read "weight max of 50 lbs."

Programbo
07-28-2007, 21:46
Just get on the bathroom scale without your pack on and then get on it again wearing the pack..If you start weighing individual items it`s only a small step to drilling holes in the handle of your toothbrush and cutting the labels out of your clothing :p

Footslogger
07-28-2007, 21:47
I am looking into buying a scale and overwhelmed! There are SO MANY. I may even buy one that does small measurements and some sort of hanging scale to weight my pack and other large items.

What kind of scale have you had success with? I know a lot about electronics but, nothing about digital scales.

========================================

I'm sure there are some great digitals but I found a nice little mechanical one that I've been using now since I was preparing for my thru in 2003.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&prodCatType=0&catalogId=10051&productId=19467&cmArea=SEARCH

But ...if I had it to do again I would probably get this one ...

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&prodCatType=0&catalogId=10051&productId=99556&cmArea=SEARCH

'Slogger

RockStar
07-28-2007, 22:00
Just get on the bathroom scale without your pack on and then get on it again wearing the pack..If you start weighing individual items it`s only a small step to drilling holes in the handle of your toothbrush and cutting the labels out of your clothing :p

I am trying to lighten my pack as much as possible without sacrificing my level of comfort. Especially when it comes to my back. I had to leave the trail last year due to my back. So I like "weighing my options" when it comes to stuff going into my pack. :p

A wise man one told me "If you take care of the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves."

Thanks for all the suggestions and info! Im checking into them.

Nest
07-28-2007, 23:09
A simple kitchen scale is what I use. Keeps me form going overboard with counting grams since it counts ounces. Goes up to 2 lbs. which is something else I like. If something I have bottoms out the scale then I need to look real close at it's necessity. It also comes with a bowl that you can attach to the scale for measuring loose food. It comes in real handy for stuff that is hard to keep on the scale to weigh. Oh, plus it's real cheap.

RockStar
07-28-2007, 23:13
A simple kitchen scale is what I use. Keeps me form going overboard with counting grams since it counts ounces. Goes up to 2 lbs. which is something else I like. If something I have bottoms out the scale then I need to look real close at it's necessity. It also comes with a bowl that you can attach to the scale for measuring loose food. It comes in real handy for stuff that is hard to keep on the scale to weigh. Oh, plus it's real cheap.

Think I saw something like this at Wal Mart.

Nest
07-28-2007, 23:31
Think I saw something like this at Wal Mart.

Yup. Scales that don't go beyond a coupld of lbs. and aren't accurate beyond oz.'s are cheaper. I measure the small things that will fit on my scale a lot more than I measure my total pack. So the few times I want to weigh my entire pack I will just go to the post office, ups store, a co-op, or somewhere else where they would just let me get a quick weigh in.

RockStar
07-28-2007, 23:54
My step father has a hanging scale that is all but completely rusted. He uses it to weigh*gulp* dead deer. lol It is surprisingly accurate. I just hate going all the way over there to weigh my pack. I get a lot of questions and condescension(in regards to me "hiking my life away"). But, as you said I really just need something that covers ounces and maybe 3 lbs.

hopefulhiker
07-29-2007, 00:17
I used one of those digital postal scales from Sam's. It was accurate to about four grams.

Monkeyboy
07-29-2007, 00:27
What kind of scale have you had success with?

B-flat! :)

Monkeyboy
07-29-2007, 00:28
.....or A-Sharp if you're on the metric system.... :)

RockStar
07-29-2007, 00:37
LOL. Stop Monkeying around! ;)

Cannibal
07-29-2007, 01:36
$20 digital scale from Office Depot. Measures up to 5 lbs.

Heater
07-29-2007, 01:46
Good Cook "Electronic scale." :D

Cheap. Measures grams too. Goes to 5. (not eleven :()

Cheap. Like 30 bucks or something I don't remember. :-?

I have an armadillo in my trousers. :eek:

Jimmers
07-29-2007, 04:18
Honestly, I just use a plain jane, run of the mill electronic bathroom scale, and weigh the pack and myself. If you can't tell something is lighter by picking it up in your hands and then weighing it, then I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference after carrying it on your back all day. Beyond a certain point, any savings you make weight wise is just for bragging purposes. You're not really doing yourself any good, but it's nice to say you shaved an extra pound by cutting off the handle to your toothbrush and all the straps to your pack. :D

Just my nickle worth. :)

buckowens
07-29-2007, 06:49
Bought a $15.00 scale that goes to 36 pounds on Ebay after reading about it here. It is within an ounce of the post office scale and has a hold button when you weigh the big stuff. They have all kinds.

Try this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-LB-POSTAGE-SCALES-DIGITAL-SHIPPING-POSTAL-SCALE-35_W0QQitemZ160142272562QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50954QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RockStar
07-29-2007, 07:07
Honestly, I just use a plain jane, run of the mill electronic bathroom scale, and weigh the pack and myself. If you can't tell something is lighter by picking it up in your hands and then weighing it, then I seriously doubt you'll notice any difference after carrying it on your back all day. Beyond a certain point, any savings you make weight wise is just for bragging purposes. You're not really doing yourself any good, but it's nice to say you shaved an extra pound by cutting off the handle to your toothbrush and all the straps to your pack. :D

Just my nickle worth. :)
I wish I could lose a lb for cutting off the handle to my toothbrush! :D

Bought a $15.00 scale that goes to 36 pounds on Ebay after reading about it here. It is within an ounce of the post office scale and has a hold button when you weight the big stuff. They have all kinds.

Try this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/36-LB-POSTAGE-SCALES-DIGITAL-SHIPPING-POSTAL-SCALE-35_W0QQitemZ160142272562QQihZ006QQcategoryZ50954QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice find.

Thanks again Guys.

Jimmers
07-29-2007, 12:44
I wish I could lose a lb for cutting off the handle to my toothbrush! :D

Well, some of the battery powered ones maybe....:D

Footslogger
07-29-2007, 19:56

====================================

That works for "overall" pack weight but if you want to really see where the weight is coming from it pays to know the weights of individual items. I was amazed when I was done creating a spread sheet that summed up weights of all the items I used to carry.

I'm not terribly anal about the whole process and to be honest, since I went through the exercise in preparation for my thru in 2003 I have never gone back and re-weighed my pack or it' contents. I just found it to be a VERY revealing exercise and I encourage anyone to do if it they are serious about getting a handle on/reducing pack weight.

'Slogger

2Questions
07-29-2007, 20:00
Do you know an HVAC technician? We all carry digital scales for measuring our refrigerant bottles. Very accurate to the ounces!!

Nest
07-29-2007, 20:25
Well, some of the battery powered ones maybe....:D

I ran into a thru hiker earlier this year that had one.

LIhikers
07-30-2007, 17:35
My wife and I have 3 different scales. First is a postal scale that goes 0 to 3 pounds and is marked in ounces as well as pounds. Next is a fish type scale that measures 0 to 10 pounds and is also marked in 1/4 pounds. Last is a fish type scale that goes from 0 to 50 pounds that also shows 1/4pounds. We can weigh individual items or fully loaded backpacks.

RockStar
07-30-2007, 17:36
My wife and I have 3 different scales. First is a postal scale that goes 0 to 3 pounds and is marked in ounces as well as pounds. Next is a fish type scale that measures 0 to 10 pounds and is also marked in 1/4 pounds. Last is a fish type scale that goes from 0 to 50 pounds that also shows 1/4pounds. We can weigh individual items or fully loaded backpacks.

Good, Ill send you my gear and pack. You weigh it all and send it back. I expect it to be in the same condition as when it arrived. Thanks a bunch! ;)

Johnny Swank
07-30-2007, 18:46
I'd love to find a small scale that I could actually carry with me just for resupplies. We almost always buy/carry way too much food, and it would be worth the 4 oz to carry something that would save me 3-4 lbs at each grocery store.

If I'm by myself I can get down pretty close to what I actually need, but for 2 of us - forget it. I get paranoid about running out of food for my darlin'. I'm working out a simplier formula for each day to make things easier, but we need to take a few more trips in order to see how realistic it is. (ie - 12 oz pasta/rice, 2 lbs snack stuff, 1.5 oz olive oil, etc per day)

RockStar
07-30-2007, 18:50
That's true. When I bought stuff, b/c it is bought in bulk, I always carried more than I needed. Maybe a small digital scale in a bump box?

Nest
07-30-2007, 19:48
Most grocery stores have a produce section. In that section is a scale to weigh the veggies. See, the trail will provide. Now for places without a scale, try this. Throw the item you are considering purchasing in the air really high. Then get under it. If it hurts when it hits your head, it's too heavy.

RockStar
07-30-2007, 19:54
LMAO. Thats funny.

Monkeyboy
07-30-2007, 21:08
Most grocery stores have a produce section. In that section is a scale to weigh the veggies. See, the trail will provide. Now for places without a scale, try this. Throw the item you are considering purchasing in the air really high. Then get under it. If it hurts when it hits your head, it's too heavy.

Is that when it's in your pack or out of it?

Nest
07-30-2007, 21:42
Is that when it's in your pack or out of it?
In your pack of course. It's the total weight that counts anyways.

Monkeyboy
07-31-2007, 23:54
That means I can only hike with a rubber band and a pencil.....a stubby pencil at that!

Anyone know how to make a shelter out of a rubber band and stubby pencil?

emerald
08-01-2007, 00:12
The company where I work has a big scale to weigh tankers before and after they leave our facility. I'm hoping someday if I'm a good boy they'll let me weigh them.:rolleyes:

Throw everything you've got RockStar!:D

RockStar
08-01-2007, 00:41
Hey, when everyone is at lunch -strap your pack on and get on the scale. Then do it again without. That's what they tell me to do. The voices. I tell my therapist I am a part of a "forum" so they don't up my meds. yet when I repeat some of the subject matter and responses...well...lets just say she is becoming suspicious that there IS no forum. :eek: ;)

SteveJ
08-01-2007, 08:55
========================================

But ...if I had it to do again I would probably get this one ...

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&prodCatType=0&catalogId=10051&productId=99556&cmArea=SEARCH

'Slogger

that's the one I use....has worked great for me - only after I got it and started spreadsheeting my 'stuff' was I able to get from a 40+lb pack to a 20 lb pack.....

Nest
08-01-2007, 17:22
That means I can only hike with a rubber band and a pencil.....a stubby pencil at that!

Anyone know how to make a shelter out of a rubber band and stubby pencil?

MacGyver could.

LIhikers
08-02-2007, 17:54
Good, Ill send you my gear and pack. You weigh it all and send it back. I expect it to be in the same condition as when it arrived. Thanks a bunch! ;)

Sure thing but we charge by the ounce :eek: and of course shipping is extra:banana