PDA

View Full Version : Quick I need more excuses!

RockStar
07-28-2007, 22:43
Today my worst fear manifested. This is what I woke to...

"You know...I have BEEN on the Appalachian Trail. I have SEEN people hiking with grocery bags wearing Wal Mart Clothes. The GEAR isn't going to get you any closer to Katahdin. So why are you buying new gear?" :eek:

uhhhhh....:-? lol

The gear I bought to hike last year mostly was what was on sale. NOW, after hiking enough, I know what I need, don't need, and like.

Truth is some stuff I changed for the sake of my back problems. Such as my hammock setup. Some stuff I upgrade because it just suits my level of comfort. Other stuff...well...its just nice to have. But I went with: " Im trying to lighten my pack so I don't have to come home again with back problems.GOSH!:rolleyes: " ;)

You feel me?

Brrrb Oregon
07-28-2007, 23:32
Today my worst fear manifested. This is what I woke to...

"You know...I have BEEN on the Appalachian Trail. I have SEEN people hiking with grocery bags wearing Wal Mart Clothes. The GEAR isn't going to get you any closer to Katahdin. So why are you buying new gear?" :eek:

uhhhhh....:-? lol

The gear I bought to hike last year mostly was what was on sale. NOW, after hiking enough, I know what I need, don't need, and like.

Truth is some stuff I changed for the sake of my back problems. Such as my hammock setup. Some stuff I upgrade because it just suits my level of comfort. Other stuff...well...its just nice to have. But I went with: " Im trying to lighten my pack so I don't have to come home again with back problems.GOSH!:rolleyes: " ;)

You feel me?

"I've seen people run marathons barefoot, too, but they're braver lads than I, Gunga Din.

Seriously....you may think I'm an idiot, but my back is loving me. Quite frankly, I spend a lot more time with my back, so I know where I'd rather have the complaints coming from."

Another try: "Hey, chill out. You're not in my will, so it's not costing you anything." (Unless it's your wife or kids. In that case, you're just going to have to take the abuse as the price of not waiting until Christmas.)

RockStar
07-28-2007, 23:50
lol That ALSO came up today. "What do you want for Christmas" I said "Some of the cheaper things on my gear list...down booties and seamgrip" I got eye rolling and a sigh of discontent. So I replied "Or whatever you think I want. I mean you know what I want more than I do, you know me better than I know myself." The sarcasm was taken well, I got a laugh-and more eye rolling.

aaroniguana
07-29-2007, 09:58
I got over my mother's edict to never ask for anything a long time ago. If I really want something I start with the model 4 times above what I really want and negotiate back down.

IOW, if you want a Contrail, ask for a Rainshadow.

Lyle
07-29-2007, 10:29
If you are wanting things for Christmas, get a catalogue and mark the item, or print out the exact items you are asking for from a particular website. This will save some disappointment and embarassment when well-meaning friends or relatives find a "better" alternative :-)

Plus going this route makes them comfortable that you will truly like and apppreciate the gift. Makes their job easier, especially if they are not experienced hikers themselves.

RockStar
07-29-2007, 11:13
I got over my mother's edict to never ask for anything a long time ago. If I really want something I start with the model 4 times above what I really want and negotiate back down.

IOW, if you want a Contrail, ask for a Rainshadow.
Im going to try this!

If you are wanting things for Christmas, get a catalogue and mark the item, or print out the exact items you are asking for from a particular website. This will save some disappointment and embarassment when well-meaning friends or relatives find a "better" alternative :-)

Plus going this route makes them comfortable that you will truly like and apppreciate the gift. Makes their job easier, especially if they are not experienced hikers themselves.

problem is...none of my friends and family consider Hiking anything more than walking in the woods for no reason. So they see GEAR as a waist of money. Instead I get The Virgin Mary plate collection, Betty boop magnets, and socks. :rolleyes: lol

aaroniguana
07-29-2007, 11:19
But do you have a Virgin Mary Nightlight?

RockStar
07-29-2007, 11:39
Actual I have Votive Candles of Momma Jesus, Daddy Jesus and Baby Jesus. Oh and Saint Micheal. ;)

aaroniguana
07-29-2007, 11:52
You're lucky. The bulbs for the Virgin Mary nightlight are getting hard to find.

Brrrb Oregon
07-29-2007, 14:00
Im going to try this!

problem is...none of my friends and family consider Hiking anything more than walking in the woods for no reason. So they see GEAR as a waist of money. Instead I get The Virgin Mary plate collection, Betty boop magnets, and socks. :rolleyes: lol

There is one other route you might consider. Some in our circle have been known to get that special bottle of whiskey that one's wife thinks one does not need from Santa Claus. Good ol' Santa, he knows what a guy wants. ;) :D

(He learned this from his grandmother, BTW.)

RockStar
07-29-2007, 14:16
You're lucky. The bulbs for the Virgin Mary nightlight are getting hard to find.

LMAO. You silly rabbit! :p

There is one other route you might consider. Some in our circle have been known to get that special bottle of whiskey that one's wife thinks one does not need from Santa Claus. Good ol' Santa, he knows what a guy wants. ;) :D

(He learned this from his grandmother, BTW.)

:D

Mags
07-30-2007, 11:24
Actual I have Votive Candles of Momma Jesus, Daddy Jesus and Baby Jesus. Oh and Saint Micheal. ;)

Does your family have a Mary On A Half Shell (http://www.wegrady.com/mary/)in their gardens?

I think it is my personal fate to have a garden with tomatoes, eggplant and zuchini with the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) looking over it all...

Uncle Silly
07-30-2007, 11:49

"Momma Jesus"?? Eek!

(now where's that Eek smiley?)

RockStar
07-30-2007, 15:03
Does your family have a Mary On A Half Shell (http://www.wegrady.com/mary/)in their gardens?

I think it is my personal fate to have a garden with tomatoes, eggplant and zuchini with the Blessed Virgin Mary (BVM) looking over it all...

LOL thats funny! No, my family is mostly Baptist with penticostal sprinkled here and there. I am the only one (Except on my mothers fathers side and my fathers side. All Cubans there.) that is Catholic. So definitely no Mary on a half shell. Lol I'm a big Jesus fan so the Mary decor is my mom trying to be accepting of my conversion. :p You know, me being a Mary worshipper now and all. ;)

"Momma Jesus"?? Eek!

(now where's that Eek smiley?)

Everyone else laughs. :( I guess I lost part of the audience on this one. Still, don't forget it's not the bartender or waitress' fault. :o

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 20:05
LOL thats funny! No, my family is mostly Baptist with penticostal sprinkled here and there. I am the only one (Except on my mothers fathers side and my fathers side. All Cubans there.) that is Catholic. So definitely no Mary on a half shell. Lol I'm a big Jesus fan so the Mary decor is my mom trying to be accepting of my conversion. :p You know, me being a Mary worshipper now and all. ;)

"Lord, I knew some of my kids might revert to being Catholics. Even the alcohol, the rock and roll, I could expect that....but where did this hiking thing come from? WHERE DID I GO WRONG, LORD?!?"

Tobit
07-30-2007, 20:06
Jesus did a lot of hiking in his day, I wish I could have been one of his hiking buddies.

- Tobias

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 20:09
Jesus did a lot of hiking in his day, I wish I could have been one of his hiking buddies.

- Tobias

No sandals, no money, no bag, and take whatever they give you in the first house you come to. That's some ultralight hiking, alright, but it did appear to have gone well for those who tried it.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 21:53
I've learned that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I just go and buy it and she doesn't talk to me for a week...it's like being on the trail.

Also to I buy her gifts that well....I'll put it to you this way...if she don't want it, I'll use it!

RockStar
07-30-2007, 22:03
HAHAHAHA Thats good! The last gift I bought got returned. =/ lol I like your method better. Think Ill try that next time.

greentick
07-30-2007, 22:44

- Tobias

Well said.

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 23:17
I've learned that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I just go and buy it and she doesn't talk to me for a week...it's like being on the trail.

Also to I buy her gifts that well....I'll put it to you this way...if she don't want it, I'll use it!

You must know my uncle. He named his boat after my aunt: "Lil' Poison"
(That forgiveness/permission thing only works when you don't really need either one, at least not immediately.)

I asked my aunt what it was like being married to him (for about 60 years, now):
"I'd do it all over again, beause it's been so d**ned interesting."