PDA

View Full Version : Fontana to NOC end of October

Dancer
07-29-2007, 16:04
I'm going to take some well deserved vacation the week before Halloween and hike the AT from Fontana Dam down to the Nantahala Outdoor Center. I've been working out and hope to be able to do it in 3-4 days by then. Going to park at NOC and get a shuttle up to Fontana on Sunday then start out very early Monday. If you are interested let me know or if you are willing to shuttle (I'll gladly pay a reasonable price) pm me.

Amazonwoman (Julie)

jimh
08-01-2007, 13:39
What days of that week are you thinking about? I have a weird work schedule... Might be able to shuttle and hike with ya.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2007, 14:37
Not offering a shuttle - just wanted to say that I hiked that stretch as part of a longer section hike at nearly the same exact time of year as you. Late October is a terrific time but I hope you enjoy better weather than me. My trail journal for that stretch is here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84126). One of best photos (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=72920) of all my hiking is from atop Swim Bald with blue sky above but clouds/fog in the valley.

It's a difficult stretch so you're wise to be working out like you are. But as an Amazon Woman, you'll have no problem making it in 3-4 days given that an old guy like me hiked it in 2 1/2.:o

Dancer
08-01-2007, 16:22
Not offering a shuttle - just wanted to say that I hiked that stretch as part of a longer section hike at nearly the same exact time of year as you. Late October is a terrific time but I hope you enjoy better weather than me. My trail journal for that stretch is here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84126). One of best photos (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=72920) of all my hiking is from atop Swim Bald with blue sky above but clouds/fog in the valley.

It's a difficult stretch so you're wise to be working out like you are. But as an Amazon Woman, you'll have no problem making it in 3-4 days given that an old guy like me hiked it in 2 1/2.:o

Thanks Cookerhiker!
I will check out the journal and pics. I know that it will be a challenge because I haven't been doing much hiking lately but hopefully I will be ready by then. Happy hiking!!

AW

nc1100c
08-15-2007, 22:28
Hi, I only live about 45 minutes from NOC in Waynesville and might be interested in joining you on the hike. Exactly what days are you planning on going?
Mark

jimh
08-16-2007, 10:05
I believe amazonwoman was thinking Monday-Thursday.

Dancer
08-16-2007, 10:20
Hi Guys,
I'm kicking around a Monday through Thursday so that I can go at a slow pace and still be in NOC for the festival that weekend. I'm also kicking around an extended version which would start somewhere in GSMNP on the previous Friday but still land in Fontana Dam on Sunday then heading back out Monday morning.

I know that Jim would like to hike it a little faster and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you started the hike with me and decided to move faster and not hike with me the whole way. I'm cool finishing it alone.

nc1100c, I pm'd you some specifics.

AW

Tipi Walter
08-17-2007, 05:48
Yeah, I did this particular section recently and parked at the Fontana dam for a 7 day backpacking trip to Cheoah Bald and back again. I guess the climb up from the dam to Walker Gap will still have water(there's water right at Walker Gap)though the drought might change things. In other words, you might not have to hump much water starting out.

Cable Gap and Brown Fork shelters both have water(or DID)and the steep climb down to Stecoah Gap(where there's also water)is very steep indeed. The long climb up to Cheoah is a slog but has some new trail sections and passes thru some nice country. At a gap below the bald(Locust Gap?)I loaded up with water as the bald is bone dry though I spent an hour looking for it. I met up with an old friend thru-hiker on the bald going north to Maine and we camped right on top in our separate tents under the stars.

Hippo
08-17-2007, 06:59
I would love to go with you. It is hard to find someone that can hike sections during the week .....since I work weekends. Please let me know the details, dates and times and we will meet. Hippo

Dancer
08-17-2007, 09:23
Thanks for the water info Walter! That helps alot. I'm ordering my map and guidebook for that section today. The more I plan the more excited I get. If you can recommend any other good section hikes on the AT in NC please let me know. I'd like to try to do all the AT in NC before I attempt my thru next year.

AW

Dancer
08-17-2007, 09:24
Hi Hippo,

I'll pm you the specifics. Looking forward to talking to you.

Julie

jimh
08-17-2007, 09:54
Hippo;

I work Friday and Saturday NIGHTS so I hike during the week as well. Keep me in your hiking loop and I'll keep you in mine.

Thanks;
Jim

buckowens
08-17-2007, 16:42
Not sure if you would want one, but they have cabins at NOC for about 150.00 per night. My wife surprised me with one when she picked me up a few weeks ago. It had two bedrooms and a futon, was comfortable but a tad utilitarian. It also appeared to be haunted as we heard all kinds of crazy stuff there!! :D It was Cabin B if anyone wondered... I am going to start a thread and see if anyone ever stayed there...

Nest
08-17-2007, 17:15
Just a thought of something for your hike that you might enjoy. Maybe park your car at NOC, and hike to Fontana. From there you can raft with the NOC back to your car. All you would have to do is call them and have them leave an empty seat, and throw in an extra PFD and paddle for a raft. I talked to one of the guys at NOC when I hiked through there this June, and they said that was possible. We didn't go into details, but you could probably try on PFDs to find your size, as well as a paddle. Then you make a reservation with NOC before your leave so you can raft back to your car after your trip. You could probably put your pack on the bus and they would hold it for you at their office. Don't know if rafting is your thing, but I always thought it would be a great way to end a good hike. I don't know how often they run in October though.

Rain Man
08-17-2007, 23:07
If you are interested let me know or if you are willing to shuttle (I'll gladly pay a reasonable price) pm me.

Julie,

Did that hike, NOBO, about 3 years ago. Jeff Hoch at The Hike Inn shuttled us from Fontana to Wesser. You might check with him. They have a web site you can Google.

Rain:sunMan

Mongoose2
08-18-2007, 11:45
Amazonwoman

I used the hike inn on a northbound from Fontana last year (thehikeinn.com) Jeff and Nancy run a great place and do a great job with their shuttle service. They also happen to make the best salsa I have ever tasted, that alone is worth the trip! Wish I could make the hike with you, I am right down the road near Atlanta....good luck!

Dancer
08-20-2007, 12:12
Just a thought of something for your hike that you might enjoy. Maybe park your car at NOC, and hike to Fontana. From there you can raft with the NOC back to your car.

Thanks for the thought but I'm really not much for boats, of any kind. I swim like a fish but don't feel comfortable in boats especially if I know it's going to get turbulant. I also get pretty motion sick. I think I'll stick to my feet on this one.

Thanks for the tip about the Hiker Inn and shuttle guys, I'll look into that.

AW

Popeye
09-28-2007, 19:14
I just finished a hike from Springer Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap. It was a long way from one water source to the next from Hawks Mountain to Dicks Creek Gap and I was forced to hump as much as five quarts of water at a time. Only three of the many reliable water sources mentioned in my trail guide had water. I did find one small trickle from a culvert pipe and a seep that took some time to fill a water bottle, but they will be gone in a few days if there isn't some rain in the mountains soon. Hikers I met all the way from Davenport Gap said they had experienced the same thing along the trail. It there isn't significant rain in the mountains by the end October, you may want to delay your trip.

Dancer
10-01-2007, 05:02
Thanks for the advice Popeye. I've actually already scrapped this idea. I just haven't gotten on here to officially cancel. I'm just going to do a couple of day hikes based out of the NOC instead. Oh well, it was a nice idea.

Egads
10-01-2007, 06:43
I hiked from Fontana to Stecoah Gap 4 weeks ago & found water at 3-4 different locations.

However the next section 14 mi from Stecoah to NOC is bone dry. You can do it if you leave yourself a gallon of water hidden at the trailhead and hike this SOBO.

You should have some great views if the leaves are turning.

Egads.

jimh
10-06-2007, 09:49
try this;

http://tinyurl.com/yomw3f