PDA

View Full Version : Moose Goo is Awesome.

headchange4u
07-30-2007, 15:20
I recently read about Moose Goo (http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html) in another forum. It sounded really good so I made up a small batch at home to try out. WOW. This stuff is awesome. Delicous. I noticed from a search that it has been mentioned a few times here at WB, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Here the recipe:

Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

NOTE: If you pass this around to your friends, I have but one request - please refer to it as "Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo". Since I run this site anonymously, it's not an ego thing. I just get a kick out of hearing it mentioned on the trail, let's me know I'm contributing to my fellow trekkers. A simple pleasure, perhaps, but I take what I can get. :-) Thanks!

Basic Recipe:
2 parts honey
2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal! I plan to try sweet rice flour soon.)
1 part peanut butter (preservative-laden)
Mix thoroughly, will take some time.
Pack into Coghlan's Squeeze Tube (REI, Campmor, etc), or in cold weather wrap in wax paper.Single Squeeze Tube Proportions (2-3 lunches w/ large tortillas):
8 tbsp honey
8 tbsp corn flour
4 tbsp peanut butterPer tube:
1320 calories
172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
24g protein
38g fat (That's a high proportion of fat, but what the heck...) BEWARE! Below 40F, Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo becomes impossible to squeeze out! I open the tube from the back and spoon it out when that happens. For snow camping I pack it in wax paper instead, eat it like a candy bar, or pre-pack it into tortillas.
I melted half a Hershey's Bar into mine when I made it. I also used Masa corn flour available in most grocery ethnic food sections.

This is something that would make a great everyday snack at work if the fat content wasn't so high. I am going to try using some lower fat peanut butter on my next batch for everyday use. I would use normal peanut butter on the trail where the extra fat would be needed.

I have also been thinking about adding some instant breakfast powder to the mix to add some vitamins and mineral, extra protien, and chocolate flavor.

RockStar
07-30-2007, 15:36
Sounds yummy. I wonder how yummy it would be to add Marshmellows and resses pieces.

Ewker
07-30-2007, 15:54
to funny, I just made a batch yesterday. Now I have to go buy some tubes to put it in or roll it up in wax paper

TOW
07-30-2007, 16:03
i think i'll make some for the hikers this fall and see what everyone thinks.....

Chaco Taco
07-30-2007, 16:08
Its so so good. I made some for my lunches on my hike next week added some reeces

headchange4u
07-30-2007, 16:42
to funny, I just made a batch yesterday. Now I have to go buy some tubes to put it in or roll it up in wax paper

I made a small batch to start with, using 1 of those Jiff peanut butter to go cups, Masa corn flour, and sourwood honey. After eating a few bites I made it into a roll and left it in the fridge. I just broke of a chunk when I wanted it. I am trying to find those squeeze tubes without having to order them over the internet and pay shipping.

Ewker
07-30-2007, 16:47
I know the local REI in Nashville carries them but that doesn't help you unless you are coming down this way.

Midway Sam
07-30-2007, 16:54
I made a small batch to start with, using 1 of those Jiff peanut butter to go cups, Masa corn flour, and sourwood honey. After eating a few bites I made it into a roll and left it in the fridge. I just broke of a chunk when I wanted it. I am trying to find those squeeze tubes without having to order them over the internet and pay shipping.

Try the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Hamburg Center in Lexington. THey have an entire wall of that Coghlan's stuff.

headchange4u
07-30-2007, 17:55
Try the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Hamburg Center in Lexington. THey have an entire wall of that Coghlan's stuff.

I figured I could get them there. I remember all those Coghlan's items they sold. I have also been wanting to pick up one of those Swedish Fire Steel's they sell also.

peter_pan
07-31-2007, 11:41
HC4U, et al,

MOO GOO is awesome....Smee and I have been using it for aboiut 4 years now....We use refillable tubes until winter.... when freezing temp put it in wax paper cause it doesn't squeeze well when frozen.... UMMMMM.

Pan

Midway Sam
07-31-2007, 11:51
I figured I could get them there. I remember all those Coghlan's items they sold. I have also been wanting to pick up one of those Swedish Fire Steel's they sell also.

Now if they only had Swedish checkout clerks...

Lanthar Mandragoran
07-31-2007, 17:33
ditto on the awesomeness that is moosegoo... been a while since I made some... gotta make some soon...

Skidsteer
07-31-2007, 18:36
I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter. :dance

Chaco Taco
07-31-2007, 19:37
I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter. :dance

Naw add Nutella to it instead of subing. Just made another batch for next week and did the nutella instead of chocolate.

littlelaurel59
07-31-2007, 22:33
I use whole wheat flour instead of corn flour. Adding cinnamon makes an interesting variation. Someone already mentioned chocolate chips- the way my son likes it.

Great spread on a tortilla.

Chaco Taco
08-02-2007, 20:46
Made some today at work and mixed in some Heath bar, and granola. Great on a wheat-honey tortilla

arkwater
08-02-2007, 21:51
I have also been thinking about adding some instant breakfast powder to the mix to add some vitamins and mineral, extra protien, and chocolate flavor.

Try a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Its great!

headchange4u
08-03-2007, 09:50
I managed to pick up some of the squeeze tubes a couple of days ago as well as some extra peanut butter and honey ;)

I am going to make a couple of tubes including one using some chocolate Instant Breakfast powder. I'll let you know how that turns out.

WingedMonkey
06-16-2011, 19:27
Thought I would wake up this 4 y/o thread. Any new ideas for Moose Goo?

:-?

timebreaks
06-16-2011, 20:36
my cousin and i make this with malted milk powder, but any powdered milk - Nido or otherwise - works well. never thought to put it in squeeze tubes! We usually make balls and roll in cocoa powder or shredded coconut or wheat germ, truffle style. we also usually freeze it on purpose - yummy!!

Chubbs4U
06-16-2011, 22:02
Sounds pretty good plus its easy to make it your own.

English Stu
06-18-2011, 05:40
Just don't get along with peanut butter,what could I use as an alternative.

timebreaks
06-18-2011, 06:22

Try sunflower seed butter! Or another nut butter, like almond. :D

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2011, 08:15
Cashew butter!

mudhead
06-18-2011, 19:32

That is downright unAmerican.
:D

English Stu
06-19-2011, 05:01
Your right is unamerican. I had weeks,nay months on the AT and was hungry and thought I surely must be able to eat peanut butter now, gave up when it started coming out much the same as it went it in. Sorry too much information.

mudhead
06-19-2011, 08:54
That's OK. I can't tolerate tea:eek:

CowHead
06-19-2011, 14:07
where do you fine corn flour look in my local markets non there

Rocket Jones
06-19-2011, 14:23

Try the hispanic section, look for masa (corn flour).

Dobie Swift
06-19-2011, 14:23

I found it in the ethnic food section. (Hispanic/Latino) Brand name Maseca.

Hikes in Rain
06-19-2011, 15:59
You also might find it in the natural/health food section.

Trillium
06-19-2011, 18:07
well, I missed this thread when it originally was posted. Moose goo sounds like something I would really like but I have a question.

where can I buy the roll-up tubes? does REI carry them?

is there a link that I can check them out on-line?

TIA.

Rocket Jones
06-19-2011, 18:34
well, I missed this thread when it originally was posted. Moose goo sounds like something I would really like but I have a question.

where can I buy the roll-up tubes? does REI carry them?

is there a link that I can check them out on-line?

TIA.

Coghlan makes them. Look here (http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2).

Tinker
06-19-2011, 19:34

Another alternative is sesame seed butter.

Trillium
06-19-2011, 23:04
Coghlan makes them. Look here (http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2).Thank you! Appreciate the info.

Stats 2012
06-20-2011, 00:16
Moose Goo sounds a lot like Lou Osmond's (I hope I am spelling it correctly) recipe for something that the kids and I call "Honey-Butter-Peanut Butter". Simply mix equal parts honey, squeezable margarine, and peanut butter. The margarine makes it spreadable even in freezing temps.

It may sound gross, but everyone who tries it loves it!

I like everyone's suggestions of things to add.

CowHead
06-20-2011, 09:03
Thanks I'll be Masa with this

Chif
06-20-2011, 09:34
I use equal parts honey, peanut butter and Masa. I think that it balances the flavors better.

I have also used a small freezer bag instead of the tubes. This recipe makes great easy lunches with tortillas. I also like to eat beef jerky with it. It lasts a long time. In fact, I have some left over from my last trip that I am going to have for lunch today with a piece of left over fried chicken.

Chif

DripDry
06-20-2011, 09:38
My hiking buddy and his wife came up with a way to eliminate the mess (and tubes)- I use that method all the time now (and I eat this almost everyday on the trail spread on a Cliff Bar).
Make a large batch as noted below- Place the mixture in a 9" x 9" brownie pan, spread to a fairly even thickness and place in freezer for about an hour and a half to firm up. When firm (but not frozen) slice into rectangular pieces according to your preferred serving size. Place each section into a pint zip-loc bag, press out the air and seal. I then put each bag into a gallon bag and place the entire batch back in the freezer until I need it. This makes it simple to grab whatever I need and hit the road. On the trail, it is simple to bite the end off the bag and squeeze onto your choice of bread (or whatever).

For me, a "batch" is: 2 c. honey, 2 c. maze flower and 1 c. peanut butter- fills the pan well. I also usually add a cup of raisins to the mix.

AaronMB
06-20-2011, 10:48
For me, a "batch" is: 2 c. honey, 2 c. maze flower and 1 c. peanut butter...

Same here. I like to add chocolate chips.

I put the whole batch in one plastic bag. The tubes, IME, are unnecessary, as the 'Goo likes to stick to itself but not the bag. I like to simply pinch off the amount I want to use (through the bag), roll or "push" that amount towards the top of the bag, then simply apply it to a tortilla or whatever. There's no mess and only one bag used.
It does have a strong peanut butter smell - so watch them critters!

Buffalo Skipper
06-20-2011, 10:56
Y'all are all NUTS!!! :eek:

I made up a batch of Moose Goo a couple of year ago, and I even tried the "mookie" recipe for Moose Goo Cookies. This was the most disgusting stuff I have ever put in my mouth. I might be able to eat it in a survival situation, but not for a regular hike or for pleasure. Foul stuff that moose goo....

WingedMonkey
06-21-2011, 00:04
Moose Goo sounds a lot like Lou Osmond's (I hope I am spelling it correctly) recipe for something that the kids and I call "Honey-Butter-Peanut Butter". Simply mix equal parts honey, squeezable margarine, and peanut butter. The margarine makes it spreadable even in freezing temps.

It may sound gross, but everyone who tries it loves it!

I like everyone's suggestions of things to add.

During my on again off again veggie days I use to make a mix of 1/3 each peanut butter, honey and carob powder. There was a Mormon grocery near where I lived they were big into carob then.

Terraducky
05-08-2012, 23:01
This stuff is great! It reminds me of those old fashioned candies called "Mary Janes". Good recipe for the celiac hubby, too. I like to spread it on a bagel for a quick breakfast.

DripDry
05-13-2012, 08:34
I am gluten-free as well and Moose Goo on a Cliff Bar is my lunch on 90% of my trail days.

chrisoc
05-15-2012, 12:48
Putting powdered milk in the mix makes it sound like Ed Garvey's Citadel Spread

Patton
05-29-2012, 22:50
I was thinking of the Citadel Sp;read while reading this whole thread, but if I remember correctly, that also contained bacon grease. I think I am going to have to try this Moose Goo.

sbhikes
06-05-2012, 14:19
This sounds similar to buttery goodness. http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/blog/?p=657

Buttery Goodness Recipe:

4 pounds butter (salted)

1 canister regular oats (2lbs, 10oz)

1 ½ pounds brown sugar

Half a spice jar of cinnamon (less if fresh-grated, more if the jar’s really old)

Mash up butter, then mash in oats, then mash in sugar and cinnamon. Fingers work best, utensils can be used if you’re more couth than me. Don’t let the butter melt. If you like, add extras like dried fruit or nuts. Divide mixture into 2 gallon ziplocs. Keep cool. Makes about 4 person-days of food, if the person’s days involve many hours of physical labor.

SouthMark
06-05-2012, 18:46
I was thinking of the Citadel Sp;read while reading this whole thread, but if I remember correctly, that also contained bacon grease.

Yes he used 1 tablespoon of bacon grease. He often mixed his peanut butter, honey mixture with enough powdered milk to make it the consistency of fudge and of course cut it in squares. I have made it for almost every trip I have made. It is a lunch and snack staple for me.

sbhikes
06-06-2012, 10:18
Wow, all these gooey trail foods sound interesting. I'm wondering if anyone has made any of them paleo.

mudhead
06-06-2012, 14:34
Don't they all contain grains of some sort as a binder?

sbhikes
06-08-2012, 21:29
Yeah, and peanuts. But I'm wondering maybe to do some substitutions. Almond butter instead of peanut butter. Coconut flakes instead of grains, perhaps? And there's gotta be a way to put some coconut manna in there.

RED-DOG
06-09-2012, 11:57
Why do you have to use tubes, why can't you pack it in Zip Lock Frezzer Bags? and dip it out with a spork.

Hikes in Rain
06-09-2012, 15:59
You certainly could use baggies, but it wouldn't be "traditional".

Camping_Steve
06-11-2012, 11:40
So I just tried this... and it was AMAZING. The difficulty for me now will be to not eat this when I'm not moving. I will become a fatty in no time if I let myself snack on this stuff while I'm not hiking. Put Moose Goo on my hiking list. My backpacking gear will have this listed under "necessaries" for any long overnight hikes. Good protein? Check. Delicious? Check.

That's all I need to know.