PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up;Thumbs down

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 16:51
IMO and MPE (my personal experience)

2006/2007 section hiking experiences thus far.

Thumbs up:

Bears Den and Circuit Rider 2006
Junker 2006
John Stempa and Linda Gellock 2007
Mohican Outdoor Center, NJ 2007
Vernon Hostel 2007
Palmerton town hall 2007
Bob Boyle (Hiker and NJ Trail maintainer)
John and Riverfront Campground in Duncannon
Mount Holly Springs Hotel and Restaurant
PA state parks
Ron and John thru hikers 2007
NJ

Thumbs down:

Rudeness at Pine Grove Furnace State Park Store
Rudeness at Doyles Hotel
Mountain Creek Campground Mt Holly Springs Pa
LICKDALE CAMPGROUND at Swatara
Charles Campground eastern pa state

Pacific Tortuga
07-30-2007, 17:54
The Doyle for me was the best, owners went over-board to see I and others had a steller time. Great music at night for free too.

Pine Grove Store let me and others hang out and run up a tab, they were nothing but friendly.

Wish your interaction with them was better. The Duncannon camp ground was marginal, no, they were nice. 6 locomotives between 1 & 3:AM is what sucked. I can't blame that on them.

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 18:03
oh yes those trains. They must be the longest, loudest, most active trains that I know.

I caught the guy at Pine Grove Furnace store at quitting time after a 20 mile hike. He wouldn't even sell me a drink. He was counting money.

The woman at Doyles was nice and I tipped her generously, it was the man that apparently was having a bad day. Another hiker even remarked on his rudeness to me.

I spoke with a hiker this week. His complaint is with minimum credit card charges in NJ, and establishments not taking travellers checks. I didn't experience this, but I did have to purchase french fries in the tavern at culvers gap in order to use the restroom. French fries are always a good buy.

RockStar
07-30-2007, 18:10
I wish we could appoint a few guys and give 'em badges to be the hiker police. So they could take complaints and find the jerks that ruin it for everyone and say "HEY, YOU. You ARE the biggest JERK-Goodbye." and send 'em home with a fine. proceeds going to support the local trail clubs and some restitution. Maybe upon their second offense. Everyone deserves a second chance. hehe

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 18:16
My original post was mainly to praise and thank the establishments and people in the thumbs up category.

But I will say that I have had it with the RV campgrounds that are catering to a special clientel. Lickdale would not rent an electric spot to us, and when I pushed they told me $75 for three small tents for the night. Charles campground would not even permit paid showers unless a registered $$$ camper. But, then you have kind people like John and Linda that have a blue blazed trail to their home.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 18:28
Oh -my -gawd..no power, no showers! I can't believe I've camped in civilazation and a train woke me up! If my cell phone would hurry up and charge I'm gonna call....I'll call.....dang it some one will listen to me

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 18:32
Oh -my -gawd..no power, no showers! I can't believe I've camped in civilazation and a train woke me up! If my cell phone would hurry up and charge I'm gonna call....I'll call.....dang it some one will listen to me
If you notice, the riverfront campground was a thumbs up, train or no train. The train was not your average train, hence the reference.

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 18:36
why do you twist what I say. I am not a cream puff. We didn't want the tent campsite because of its deliberate undesireable campground location, which I think they do on purpose. We wanted to step up a bit, and rent an RV location, not for the power but for the beautiful natural spot. We had no use for the electricity. As far a cell phones, I carry one for safety only. I don't even carry a watch.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 20:27
why do you twist what I say. I am not a cream puff. We didn't want the tent campsite because of its deliberate undesireable campground location, which I think they do on purpose. We wanted to step up a bit, and rent an RV location, not for the power but for the beautiful natural spot. We had no use for the electricity. As far a cell phones, I carry one for safety only. I don't even carry a watch.
Without a watch how do you know when to call for help?

SawnieRobertson
07-31-2007, 11:52

Why bother to respond to deliberately obnoxious posts even if they are disrespectful to you? If the tube had talked about reasons not to switch to nicer accomodations based on its own experience, then the post would be worthy of your attention. As it is, the tube appears only to want to utilize put-downs to establish that it is a bigger, better tube in some very peculiar way.

Carrying a cell phone for safety is wise, not to "allow" you to go where you would not otherwise go, but to be able to contact rescue if you find someone along the trail who is seriously hurt.

I wear a watch and find that I am constantly asked by those who don't what the time is. <g>

You are fine, Maria. IMHO

Kinnickinic

gold bond
07-31-2007, 12:24
Geez you guy's (gals) lighten up...a tube! Really! I thought we were suppose to be having some fun.

Mean people bite!!