PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags

Conster
07-31-2007, 06:28
On my work this morning I just happened to walk past the local outfitter (funny that) They had a sale on so I went in for a quick browse

They had a Marmot Helium sleeping bag on sale down from 270 to 70 pounds, which is believe is US$550 down to $142

I scoped it of and am now the owner of a new bag. Impulse buying is very unlike me as I normally research any new kit for hours on the internet, before I ever go near a store. The guys in the store was pretty useless with advice ( but I suppose they dont get a lot of "proper" hikers in their store in central London UK)

So what do you lot think? Is this bag going to be warm enough for me to use on a thru-hike on the AT? As my "winter" bag? Anyone ever used this brand before?
Apparently its an "ultralight" 3 season bag. 1 pound 13 oz - down- 15F

Skidsteer
07-31-2007, 07:47
I think I'm green with envy. That's a great price.

Ewker
07-31-2007, 08:50
that is a hell of a price on that bag. That bag will do great for your AT thru-hike

hopefulhiker
07-31-2007, 08:52
This is a really good deal. If the bag fits you I would get it.. Also you can layer with dry clothes to keep warmer if you need it..

bigcranky
07-31-2007, 13:34
Great bag. Should be fine for a thru-hike starting in March, though you'll probably want some extra clothes inside on a few very cold nights. It's not really a winter bag in the Appalachians, even in the South, though it's good enough for most of the year. That was a steal of a deal.

Oh, and if you really don't want it, you can eBay it for 2 or 3 times what you paid. Or sell it on this forum. Have fun.

Uncle Silly
07-31-2007, 16:18
you'll probably find it to be too warm at times in the summer, tho it'll be fine for cooler nights. if it's a full-zip bag it'll be more useful on the hot nights.

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:51
Great Buy! Enjoy it!!!

Conster
08-01-2007, 11:09
Thanks everyone for your replies

I've decided to keep the bag, I've got a great winterbag I've camped with in Greenland but it weights way to much.

Hopefully I should be warm enough on the cold nights if I wear long clothes on. It's got a full zip so when it gets warmer i can unzip it and wear it as a quilt.

Now what can I spend the money I saved on?

Need to decide on a tent/tarp/hammock

Am leaning against a hammock at present, but not sure I've got time enough to try it out before March