PDA

View Full Version : Question for you former thru-hikers

Swiss Roll
07-31-2007, 10:25
Psychologically speaking, what's the toughest part of the trail? From what I've read in trail journals, a lot of otherwise healthy hikers lose their motivation and come off the trail in the Mass.-Vermont area. Thoughts?

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2007, 10:49
I think the toughest part for most folks is simply getting thru the first few weeks on the Trail, never mind worrying about how one is gonna handle Massachusetts.

If one gets past the Smokies in good shape, one's chances of success go up markedly.

It takes most folks around 125 days to get to the MA/VT border from Georgia.....the "toughest" part of the trip for most folks comes around four moths before this point.

Footslogger
07-31-2007, 10:58
Well ...here are my thoughts on that subject.

For starters I agree with Jack that for many the initial few days can be and often are the toughest. A lot of people attempting a thru-hike have done mainly "weekend" trips to get in shape or shake down their gear. Facing that first week, sometimes with snow/freezing rain and heavy loads just isn't something for which they had anticipated or prepared.

That said ...based on my experiences in 2003, by the time the brunt of hikers got that far (to quote BB King ...) the "thrill" is gone. That's NOT to say the simple pleasures of backpacking changed, but your committment to completing the thru-hike was being tested a lot more frequently. You're tired, you miss family/friends, your funds might be just about depleted, most (if not all) trail food has lost its appeal - if it ever really had any ...and you start to ask yourself "WHY, AM I DOING THIS ? "

Not sure if there are any boiler plate solutions. I think you either suck it up, find a way to continue having/making fun and keep on walking OR you fold up your tent and go home.

'Slogger

Time To Fly 97
07-31-2007, 13:10
I think this is different for everyone. While one hiker may experience physiological stress at a certain point (for any reason - lacking in vitamins, electrolytes, etc.) another may have had no problems because the hikers around him/her were a blast to hike with and that fatigue was simply not noticed as much. A lot has to do with attitude as well as best practices.

Being thankful got me all the way. Hiking is a gift - love every second.

Happy hiking!

TTF

weary
07-31-2007, 13:17
Well ...here are my thoughts on that subject.

For starters I agree with Jack that for many the initial few days can be and often are the toughest. A lot of people attempting a thru-hike have done mainly "weekend" trips to get in shape or shake down their gear. Facing that first week, sometimes with snow/freezing rain and heavy loads just isn't something for which they had anticipated or prepared.

That said ...based on my experiences in 2003, by the time the brunt of hikers got that far (to quote BB King ...) the "thrill" is gone. That's NOT to say the simple pleasures of backpacking changed, but your committment to completing the thru-hike was being tested a lot more frequently. You're tired, you miss family/friends, your funds might be just about depleted, most (if not all) trail food has lost its appeal - if it ever really had any ...and you start to ask yourself "WHY, AM I DOING THIS ? "

Not sure if there are any boiler plate solutions. I think you either suck it up, find a way to continue having/making fun and keep on walking OR you fold up your tent and go home.

'Slogger
A lot quit early. Mostly, I think, for the reason Bill Bryson seems to have quit. He just found the trail not to his liking. The dream of a long hike is always better than the reality. The dream ignores the cold, the wet, the bugs, the sore knees .... These are not the reasons most cite when they stop. One can always find a plausible excuse to give up.

I think those that eventually make it to Katahdin are mostly those with unusual commitment, and those who find genuine pleasure in their hikes. For some of us the pleasure is living amidst the unending panorama of nature -- the plants, animals, bugs, trees, birds, clouds, the rain, storms, the challenge of existing in a wild country, free from everyday worries.

Others stick it out because of the companions one meets, the conversations, the parties, the shared meeting of trail challenges -- or some combination of nature and companionship.

Few newcomers to long distance hikes escape being surprised. The trail is rarely what the beginning thru hiker envisions. Some find reality fun also. Most don't, and sooner or later decide to give it up.

swift
07-31-2007, 19:26
going home.

Jim Adams
07-31-2007, 21:54
Georgia---steeper, colder, wetter, more wind and more adapting than expected.

geek

Pokey2006
08-01-2007, 06:14
By the time you get to Mass/Vt, you're exhausted, your immune system is shot, and you've been living in the woods for months -- it simply gets harder to continue ENJOYING the journey. And if you're not enjoying it, why keep doing it? At least that's my experience, being one of those who was otherwise healthy, but went home in Vermont. Maybe taking care of yourself, eating right, taking your vitamins, etc., might help you get over that Mass/Vt hump.

superman
08-01-2007, 06:30
The first night of my thru was a storm that blew my tent down. The second night it rained so hard it was good that the floor of my tent leaked or I would have drowned in it. Then it dropped to about 15 degrees. People didn't care about getting to neels Gap...all they wanted was the fastest way off the trail. Between the weather and blisters some folks had a rude awakening that a thru hike is not always like the pictures on the brochure. You know the brochure...the hikers are smiling and hiking in perfect weather with vistas all around.

DiamondDoug
08-15-2007, 13:43
I agree with Jack, too. The only time, and I mean THE ONLY TIME I ever thought about not finishing was leaving Caratunk after a 4 day zero day break when I went to Boston to meet and hang out with an old friend for a few days. When I got back on the trail I was like, "what have I got left to prove? I've gone 2000 miles."

That lasted maybe twenty minutes.