PDA

View Full Version : LDS Thru-Hikers

NutellaTheHun
07-31-2007, 12:25
Anyone on these forums that is a member of the LDS church?
I am just curious and have some questions.
I am looking for someone who as thru-hiked the AT already and is a member of the church. Sound off here and I will PM you with the questions.

Thanks.

zelph
07-31-2007, 15:25
Anyone on these forums that is a member of the LDS church?
I am just curious and have some questions.
I am looking for someone who as thru-hiked the AT already and is a member of the church. Sound off here and I will PM you with the questions.

Thanks.

:welcome

I'm an LDS 'Bushwhacker" I'm thru with hikin, I just kinda putz along and field test stoves. :banana I'm sure that I can answer your questions, with the help of a few thousand hikers here. How may I help you?

Old Grouse
07-31-2007, 15:35
Do you LDS folks use UL handcarts?

zelph
07-31-2007, 16:02
Do you LDS folks use UL handcarts?

Only on the prairies in good weather. It's the only way to carry the cast iron stoves and tippis:banana

oldbear
07-31-2007, 17:15
Wouldn't a handcart violate the " no wheeled vehicles allowed on trails' law?
This is supposedly a true story.
I was camped out at the bottom of Grand Canyon one New Years Eve and the story was that a couple of guys had gotten the great idea to transport a keg of beer from the Rim to the River by using a hand truck to assist them.
NPS supposedly gave them a ticket for having a wheeled vehicle -the hand truck - on a trail.

James Justin
07-31-2007, 17:15
I don't know that much about the LDS Church (the Mormons), but I think that they are not allowed to drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or even drink coffee. Not all that sure thought. I've had Mormon missionaries at my house before. They gave me a copy of the book of Mormon. I glanced through it, but never read it. I heard that they are very trustworthy people, and Donny and Marie Osmond were Mormons. So is the main actor from the movie "Nepoleon Dynomite".

-Jimmy

zelph
07-31-2007, 19:26
I don't know that much about the LDS Church (the Mormons), but I think that they are not allowed to drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, or even drink coffee. Not all that sure thought. I've had Mormon missionaries at my house before. They gave me a copy of the book of Mormon. I glanced through it, but never read it. I heard that they are very trustworthy people, and Donny and Marie Osmond were Mormons. So is the main actor from the movie "Nepoleon Dynomite".

-Jimmy
Most Mormons live 10 years longer than most other peoples because they observe what doctors have been telling us all along. Smoking causes cancer. Alcohol will eat your liver up and pregnant women will surely not like what may happen to them if they dring during pregnancy. 99 percent of all surgeons will not drink coffee before a scheduled operation because of the ill effects of it. Coffee is an irritant to the bladder. Most informed backpackers stay away from the late evening caffien. And so on and so forth. Mormons have their free agency, they ellect not to ingest those things mentioned.

CoyoteWhips
07-31-2007, 21:31
I would think that recently returned missionaries would certainly have the walking down. Two scriptures and a massive day planner must equal one ultralight pack, so they're practically trail ready.

zelph
07-31-2007, 22:45
I would think that recently returned missionaries would certainly have the walking down. Two scriptures and a massive day planner must equal one ultralight pack, so they're practically trail ready.

Most of them are trail ready, most carry their stuff in a backpack. They teach the gospel for two years, return home and hit the trails.:)

The scouting program is massive in the church. Eagle scouts comming out of the woodwork all the time. They live to be on the trails, eat and breath stove debris:) . I feed them my stoves.:banana

Lugnut
07-31-2007, 23:01
Most of them are trail ready, most carry their stuff in a backpack. They teach the gospel for two years, return home and hit the trails.:)

The scouting program is massive in the church. Eagle scouts comming out of the woodwork all the time. They live to be on the trails, eat and breath stove debris:) . I feed them my stoves.:banana

And wear the same t-shirt every day. :D

zelph
08-01-2007, 11:29
And wear the same t-shirt every day. :D

BUT, they change their shorts every day. Jim changes with George, Fred changes with Ed, Sam changes with Zelph:banana

ASUGrad
08-01-2007, 11:32
I imagine the undergarment situation would be difficult. But they have great Scout programs

Old Grouse
08-01-2007, 11:52
My handcart remark was a humorous (Zelph - glad you realized that!)reference to LDS history. After the establishment of the community in what is now Utah, many families of the converted from the Eastern US and other countries crossed the plains and Rockies by foot, pushing their belongings in wooden handcarts. The tales of their arduous journies are truly inspiring. And no, I'm not LDS, but I have only the highest admiration for those whose faith could propel and sustain them in that way. I doubt many of us would care to push one of their handcarts very far on a paved road, let alone a virtually trackless expanse.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2007, 14:26
Most Mormons live 10 years longer than most other peoples because they observe what doctors have been telling us all along. Smoking causes cancer. Alcohol will eat your liver up and pregnant women will surely not like what may happen to them if they dring during pregnancy. 99 percent of all surgeons will not drink coffee before a scheduled operation because of the ill effects of it. Coffee is an irritant to the bladder. Most informed backpackers stay away from the late evening caffien. And so on and so forth. Mormons have their free agency, they ellect not to ingest those things mentioned.

Please understand that I'm not questioning your faith when I ask: what about red wine and all the attendant benefits based on much research? My doctor ( who just turned 80 for what it's worth) also preaches against smoking and caffeine but he recommends a glass of red wine every day especially for those with family history of heart problems like I'm faced with.

Not to mention that in the Bible, Jesus didn't turn that water into grape juice!:D

Mags
08-01-2007, 14:51
preaches against smoking and caffeine but he recommends a glass of red wine every day especially for those with family history of heart problems like I'm faced with.

Two years ago, I went to Italy and visted some distant cousins, saw the actual village (and house!) where my great-grandfather was born and visited Anzio (where my grandfather fought for the American army in WW2).

As part of my pre-trip research, I was given an article about the sister who immigrated to the US along with my great-grandfather and another sister.

The newspaper article (dated 1986) was about her celebrating her 100th birthday.

When asked her secret for a long life, she replied: Food with lots of garlic and a glass of red wine everyday.

Good enough for Jesus. Good enough for people in my gene pool.

I'm gonna drink some red wine.

Saluti! :)

CoyoteWhips
08-01-2007, 15:05
Not to mention that in the Bible, Jesus didn't turn that water into grape juice!:D

As I recall from church history, LDS sacriment originally used wine. However, at that time, there was some concern about possible adulteration of the available vintages, so they switched to water and the tradition stuck.

Turns out that water is good for you, too.