PDA

View Full Version : Cat pissed on my tent

twosticks
07-31-2007, 14:05
Anyone out there know a way to get cat piss out of a tent? It's a 4 season NF. I've washed it twice but it's still lingering. Thanks.

RiverWarriorPJ
07-31-2007, 14:08
:eek:.....lOl.....:eek:

Alligator
07-31-2007, 14:13
I've used Odoban to get the smell out of a sleeping bag. It can leave it's own scent afterwords though. It will fade.

Also, in the pet aisles there are products for this but I haven't tried any specific ones.

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 14:14
Try using a color-safe powdered bleach product.

twosticks
07-31-2007, 14:22
Try using a color-safe powdered bleach product.

Bleach? You don't think that will ruin the fabric? or the treatment?

Heater
07-31-2007, 14:42
Soak in a vinegar and water solution to break it down then wash it a few times. Repeat if necessary.

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 14:44
Test it first, or if you don't have any to try, test with hydrogen peroxide.

There are also enzymatic pet odor removal products available.

In a situation like this, you have to escalate even at the risk of damage since the tent will be useless as-is.

Frosty
07-31-2007, 15:53
Bleach? You don't think that will ruin the fabric? or the treatment?I wouldn't put bleach on tent fabric. YMMV.

Jimmers
07-31-2007, 16:01
I highly recommend the enzyme treatments you find in Petsmart and the like. They may sometimes take several treatments to remove the smell, but they do work. I had a fleece with the same issue a few years back. Foulest odor ever.:eek:

Hana_Hanger
07-31-2007, 16:02
This happened to me...so I can laugh about it now:D

I just received my new Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo tent.
Set it up in the front yard it starting raining.

well........some :eek: cat sprayed it, as well as hid in there from the rain!!!!

:sun2 Boxes of baking soda and cold water soaking in a washing machine for 3 hours ...did it for me...no smell at all!

Vinegar will help as already posted....just soak and then dry on a clothes line. I did not put my tent through the spin cycle...or any wash cycle
being it is sil-nylon.

Hope this works for you...

Cuffs
07-31-2007, 16:35
Austex has it right, vinegar & water. It breaks down the ammonia. Also, a product named Odornix is great for removing the smell...

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 17:14
Anyone out there know a way to get cat piss out of a tent? It's a 4 season NF. I've washed it twice but it's still lingering. Thanks.

There are solutions, but perhaps it would have been possible to use a different word in a general forum like this.

The Weasel

Tobit
07-31-2007, 17:23
There are solutions, but perhaps it would have been possible to use a different word in a general forum like this.
Wait a minute, have we become a society where an innocent word like piss has become unaceptable? This is political correctness gone totally wrong.

Piss, Pee, Urine are all just about the same and all should be allowed in mixed company. What do you want the original poster to say? "Oh my stars, little Johnny the Cat went and made a boo-boo on my tent!" But then we wouldn't know if the cat took a crap or urinated and would be at a loss as to what to recommend.

Give me a break.

/rant off

- Tobias

Cuffs
07-31-2007, 17:24

The Weasel

Kudos for catching that Weasel...

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 17:31
This thread should be moved to the "Sensitive Trail Subjects" forum, preemptively.

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 18:01
Wait a minute, have we become a society where an innocent word like piss has become unaceptable? This is political correctness gone totally wrong.

Piss, Pee, Urine are all just about the same and all should be allowed in mixed company. What do you want the original poster to say? "Oh my stars, little Johnny the Cat went and made a boo-boo on my tent!" But then we wouldn't know if the cat took a crap or urinated and would be at a loss as to what to recommend.

Give me a break.

/rant off

- Tobias

You get a break, Tobias. But yes, in a public forum where young readers are common, it's just an inappropriate word. If you disagree, go to your local school and ask how many teachers will use "piss" in the classroom. Or use language like that in a youth group. Tell your Pastor at the end of the service, "I need to take a piss." You get the idea.

Sorry. In other parts of WB, perhaps. But in general forums, I disagree.

The Weasel

Tobit
07-31-2007, 18:10
Weasel: What would be the more appropriate word to use then? "The cat urinated" would be the proper technical, and biological, word to use but if we have to act here like we are in church or back in the 2nd grade, what would be the appropriate word?

I hear far worse coming from the grade school playground located next door than the pee word.

- Tobias

Biloxi
07-31-2007, 18:14
:eek: ...".YO preach could ya hurry it along I need to take a PISS.":D .just the thought made me laugh..but weasel is right there are kids on here at times.so I guess you should have said "peed" "whizzed" "took a leak"something less :banana offensive I suppose:-? but still the preacher thing funny visual

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 18:19
There isn't anything particularly difficult about saying, "The cat urinated." "Urine" (and related verbs) isn't a particularly "technical" or "biological" word. And my point isn't that we're "in church or in the second grade." We're in a public forum, where young men and women are welcome, and such language, as a result, isn't. If you hear "far worse coming from the grade school playground next door," perhaps you should do something about that, rather than let such things become the norm and acceptable.

In short, coarse language isn't acceptable just because it's used by many; there are places and times when it is not objectionable. In the public forums here, it's objectionable. In the 'sensitive' forums or the political ones, it might be fine. But here, now, no.

The Weasel

Tobit
07-31-2007, 18:21
I dunno, my preacher gets fired up sometimes and says some pretty strong words when he gets real passionate about something. But he is a pretty down to earth guy and not very uptight. Cursing is definitely wrong but where is the line drawn? I don't think a bodily function like piss or crap is wrong in general audiences but I guess I am in the minority. However, the S word for crap is not generally appropriate in my book when used in public.

- Tobias

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 18:32
And there's a difference? Really? Tell me what the difference is, Toby. And if you like "p***" for general audiences, does that mean you really feel it's the sort of word for people to use to high school students? Tell me why that word is and "s***" isn't. And don't tell me your pastor uses languge like that. I don't believe it, at least not where youth are present.

As for removing the odor of cat urine, there are a few commercial chemicals that help, usually available at pet stores, especially the large ones.

The Weasel

Brrrb Oregon
07-31-2007, 18:38

The Weasel

The prevailing prejudice that has decreed Latin-derived terminology to be so much less coarse than Anglo Saxon is a little weird to me--and this, coming from a Catholic--but whatever. (I may be jaded by the experience of my brother finding out that a cousin had used our backyard in favor of the available bathroom in the house and calling him "The Urinator" at every opportunity for a year or so thereafter....somehow the term doesn't seem all that polite anymore.)

OTOH, perhaps OP's choice of words just seemed mild to me because I assumed that his sentiments had been toned down by one or two orders of magnitude, compared to the words that came to mind upon discovery of the offense! :eek: :mad: $%#&@!!!

I hope the cat wasn't harmed. I'd try finding a cat-fanciers forum to field your question, too. They have to be able to remove the smell from their stuff well enough to keep their other animals from sending reply messages in the same spot. Whatever works, they probably have it on hand by the gallon.

Brrrb Oregon
07-31-2007, 18:44
And don't tell me your pastor uses languge like that. I don't believe it, at least not where youth are present.

Most pastors I know are wise enough to avoid the topic altogether around the youth....not because the kids are innocent of the coarser terminology, but because they're not. Use any version of the word "urine" around third grade boys, and all-place-of-eternal-damnation will break loose.

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 18:44
"Piss" is not listed as vulgar or offensive or even as slang in the dictionary, as "crap" is.

"Pee", an abbreviation or slang for "piss", is even listed as "sometimes vulgar".

But good old "piss" is just labelled "informal". It's not appropriate in formal situations, but it's hardly considered offensive.

It is also derived from Latin and is "imitative" as it sounds like what it refers to. if you want something Germanic, you have to go with take a "leak".

Brrrb Oregon
07-31-2007, 18:45
"Piss" is not listed as vulgar or offensive or even as slang in the dictionary, as "crap" is.

"Pee", an abbreviation or slang for "piss", is even listed as "sometimes vulgar".

But good old "piss" is just labelled "informal". It's not appropriate in formal situations, but it's hardly considered offensive.

It is also derived from Latin and is "imitative" as it sounds like what it refers to. if you want something Germanic, you have to go with take a "leak".

I don't know if that was edifying, but it was certainly educational. Thank you.

Tobit
07-31-2007, 18:46
Weasel and I could debate this all night but we'd still come to the same stalemate. When used in the right context, in a forum like this, and not insultive, I still fail to see why something like "the cat pissed on" is so inappropriate. Granted, it is probably inappropriate to a grade schooler but most teenagers aren't going to be influenced this word in the least. How many grade schoolers are reading this forum anyway? I doubt very many at all and probably only a handful of 14, 15, and 16 year olds. More kids spend more time wasting time in front of Saturday morning TV or video games where worse stuff is said than a backpacking forum where one out of a hundred posts has the word piss pop up.

I've pretty much all I've had to say on this subject so I will end it here.

- Tobias

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 18:48
And there's a difference? Really? Tell me what the difference is, Toby. And if you like "p***" for general audiences, does that mean you really feel it's the sort of word for people to use to high school students? Tell me why that word is and "s***" isn't. And don't tell me your pastor uses languge like that. I don't believe it, at least not where youth are present.

Weasel, you certainly are full of piss and vinegar today! :eek:

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 18:50
Weasel and I could debate this all night but we'd still come to the same stalemate. When used in the right context, in a forum like this, and not insultive, I still fail to see why something like "the cat pissed on" is so inappropriate. Granted, it is probably inappropriate to a grade schooler but most teenagers aren't going to be influenced this word in the least. How many grade schoolers are reading this forum anyway? I doubt very many at all and probably only a handful of 14, 15, and 16 year olds. More kids spend more time wasting time in front of Saturday morning TV or video games where worse stuff is said than a backpacking forum where one out of a hundred posts has the word piss pop up.

I've pretty much all I've had to say on this subject so I will end it here.

- Tobias

Don't get pissed off, Weasel's just trying to take the piss out of you.

Brrrb Oregon
07-31-2007, 18:55
Weasel, you certainly are full of piss and vinegar today! :eek:

No kidding. For example, this isn't the kind of humor my pastor would be likely to repeat to the kids in our youth group: :rolleyes:

You really irk me, Yaht. I know Rock Star, and she's a girl. Girls don't have opinions, hers or anyone else's. Iif she could have one, she'd cry (like a girl) for being accused of having hem, but if she could have them they would be JUST THE SAME as everyone else's no matter what they were. As for diminishing your hike, sure it's her fault that you were a pygmy prostitute, since it is ALWAYS the girl's fault, but she didn't know it, since she's a girl, and girl's don't know ANYthing. So stop accusing her of anything except being a girl. That's bad enough. OK? OK? OK?

The Weasel

PS: Rock Star...how's the fishing?

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 19:11
Folks, there are 'sensitive' forum places for langauge like this. Those who have been around for a while know that I think it wildly wrong to use coarse langauge in the public forums here: I have pointed my Scouts at WhiteBlaze, and there are a lot of other youth here too. Some words and phrases are appropriate in other parts of WhiteBlaze that aren't here. If that's how you all speak at home, to young people, well, you come from a different environment than I do. But most people - and most parents - agree with what I say. If WhiteBlaze is a place where routinely people speak like that in any sub-forum, then it's a place that will be filtered out, either automatically or by parents who don't like language liek that for their sons and daughters.

As for my line on RockStar, I don't see anything in there that most pastors wouldn't use if they were being as sarcastic as RS was getting from me (we are, by the way, pretty good friends from a few hundred PMs - no, RockStar, I'm referring to "private messages") and there is no coarse/vulgar language in it.

So use this test: If there is language you wouldn't want a teacher to use to your 16 year old daughter, don't use it here. If you want to use that language, go to one of the subforums that are restricted.

And if you want to insult or try to shock me by using that word to me, all you do is show how petty you are, and you demean yourself, not me.

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 19:17
As for my line on RockStar, I don't see anything in there that most pastors wouldn't use if .........

So use this test: If there is language you wouldn't want a teacher to use to your 16 year old daughter, don't use it here.

Weasel, neither pastors nor teachers normally make use of the phrase "pygmy prostitute". Some might find it more offensive even than "piss".

Tobit
07-31-2007, 19:20
I guess your probably right Weasel and I certainly didn't mean for this to go as far as it did. I forgot how likely it is for Cub Scouts, young Boy Scouts, or similar groups to come here. I think it's appropriate for 16 and older and you don't so that should be the end of it.

I tried to keep the debate civil other than using the offending word in question and I hope there are no hard feels beyond our general disagreement.

- Tobias

Alligator
07-31-2007, 19:21
The Weasel-If you feel that there is a vulgarity in violation of the user agreement, could you please follow the instructions in the user agreement and report the post to a moderator or admin. That can be done either through a PM or the report post icon in the upper right corner of the post.

BTW I am not the mod in this forum, I'm just trying to help a hiker try to get the smell out.

The Weasel
07-31-2007, 19:22
Weasel, neither pastors nor teachers normally make use of the phrase "pygmy prostitute". Some might find it more offensive even than "piss".

As for the term, it was a reference to an earlier post, but that doesn't matter to you. Actually, "prostitute" is a word heard not uncommonly in many churches, dear Tater. As is the synonmy, more common in the King James Version, 'harlot.'

Give it up.

The Weasel

Skidsteer
07-31-2007, 19:26
...And if you want to insult or try to shock me by using that word to me, all you do is show how petty you are, and you demean yourself, not me....

The Weasel

Urinate off.;)

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 19:27
As for the term, it was a reference to an earlier post, but that doesn't matter to you. Actually, "prostitute" is a word heard not uncommonly in many churches, dear Tater. As is the synonmy, more common in the King James Version, 'harlot.'

Give it up.

The Weasel

Actually, I believe "whore" is most frequently used in the KJV than "harlot" is. It's not considered vulgar or slang, either.

Franco
07-31-2007, 19:36
All this talk about piss and not one commendation for the cat's critical appraisal of that TNF tent.
And now for a minute of silence
Let us spray
Franco

Skidsteer
07-31-2007, 19:47
All this talk about piss and not one commendation for the cat's critical appraisal of that TNF tent.
Let us spray
Franco

That nearly made me cry from laughing so hard. :D

Fiddleback
07-31-2007, 19:54
Tempted as I am to join in on the "p" conversation, I shall resist...

As far for the tent -- there are several sprays available at pet stores that may do the trick...other sprays are sold by vets (the animal kind, I don't know about the military kind:D ). "Out", available at WalMart, usually works but I've not tried it on any tents. White vinegar works wonders as well.

And don't pooh-pooh the benefits of strong sunshine. I'd recommend exposing the soiled area to sunlight after the above treatments.

FB
(sorry 'bout that 'pooh-pooh' usage...I was typing and it just came out...)

Brushy Sage
07-31-2007, 20:25
I think everybody agrees that cat urine smells mighty strong, and the odor is hard to get rid of.

aaroniguana
07-31-2007, 20:59
I got a new pack that way last year. My cat "shook the morning dew off his lilly" on my old Hillary. That's when I went UL.

Tobit
07-31-2007, 21:05
I got a new pack that way last year. My cat "shook the morning dew off his lilly" on my old Hillary. That's when I went UL.
OMFG, I had to come out of lurkdom on this one.. damn need defecated myself too.

- T

Appalachian Tater
07-31-2007, 21:16
I think everybody agrees that cat urine smells mighty strong, and the odor is hard to get rid of.

Yeah, everyone agrees, and there was no reason for it to turn into a pissing contest.

Frosty
07-31-2007, 21:36
Weasel and I could debate this all night but we'd still come to the same stalemate. What do you mean "could?"

Jim Adams
07-31-2007, 21:45
political correctness is killing this country!
I think that considering piss an objectional word is a bunch of s**T!
geek

Brrrb Oregon
07-31-2007, 21:52
Folks, there are 'sensitive' forum places for langauge like this. Those who have been around for a while know that I think it wildly wrong to use coarse langauge in the public forums here: I have pointed my Scouts at WhiteBlaze, and there are a lot of other youth here too. Some words and phrases are appropriate in other parts of WhiteBlaze that aren't here. If that's how you all speak at home, to young people, well, you come from a different environment than I do. But most people - and most parents - agree with what I say. If WhiteBlaze is a place where routinely people speak like that in any sub-forum, then it's a place that will be filtered out, either automatically or by parents who don't like language liek that for their sons and daughters.

As for my line on RockStar, I don't see anything in there that most pastors wouldn't use if they were being as sarcastic as RS was getting from me (we are, by the way, pretty good friends from a few hundred PMs - no, RockStar, I'm referring to "private messages") and there is no coarse/vulgar language in it.

So use this test: If there is language you wouldn't want a teacher to use to your 16 year old daughter, don't use it here. If you want to use that language, go to one of the subforums that are restricted.

And if you want to insult or try to shock me by using that word to me, all you do is show how petty you are, and you demean yourself, not me.

The Weasel

Like I said, the vinegar titer is pretty high....which is just the thing for urine stains, so that's not a bad thing, right? (As long as none of the 16 year-olds are either short or from Central Africa, but we won't go there...)

Let us spray
Franco

So, anyway, tell me what you found out, OP, because now I need some for my office chair. (Thanks alot, Franco!)

mudhead
08-01-2007, 05:00
Let us spray
Franco

This is the kind of individual that I could share silence with on some desolate rock.

warraghiyagey
08-01-2007, 07:26

Ha-ha :)

Conster
08-01-2007, 08:35
I've had a cat pee in my sailing bag in the past, which was full of clothes!

Soak your tent in a bucket (or bath) in a mixture of water and white vinegar. Leave it to soak overnight.

Rinse it thouroughly and then leave it to soak again in water and some orange peel, this should get rid of any lingering smell.

icemanat95
08-01-2007, 09:10
I concur here with the advice to go to a pet store and get an enzymatic odor removal product.

twosticks
08-01-2007, 09:19
everyone for all of your sound advice. I wasn't really looking for general info on how cat pee/urine/dew is removed, but specifically how it is removed from tents. I know that petsmart/walmart/home depot sell the enzyme stuff, but I don't know how well that will work with a tent. I was hoping for a brave soul before me who may have had the same problem and found a solution. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my description of the event and no, no cats were harmed in the making of the message. As for the cat getting it right on how the tent is, that's not fair. This tent is at least 10 years old and in my opinion was made when TNF was still making stuff for the sport rather than the money. So thanks again and I'll give the vinegar solution a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

Alligator
08-01-2007, 09:33
You could check the product labels and see if there are any restrictions for nylon. Could even be a customer service number. The intended use for many of those enzymatic products are rugs and upholstery. They may not be particularly harsh. Vineagar is a mild acid, so that's something to consider too. But hey, you've got to try something so let us know how it turns out:) .

The Weasel
08-01-2007, 10:13
Let us spray
Franco

Actually, while others were having fun insulting me - sorry, Skiddy, it don't work, better than you have tried and failed - I suggested going to pet stores for the fairly effective urine removal solutions they have there.

The Weasel

Alligator
08-01-2007, 10:37
Actually, while others were having fun insulting me - sorry, Skiddy, it don't work, better than you have tried and failed - I suggested going to pet stores for the fairly effective urine removal solutions they have there.

The WeaselAnd it only it took you four posts to make that suggestion:) .

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 11:20
everyone for all of your sound advice. I wasn't really looking for general info on how cat pee/urine/dew is removed, but specifically how it is removed from tents. I know that petsmart/walmart/home depot sell the enzyme stuff, but I don't know how well that will work with a tent. I was hoping for a brave soul before me who may have had the same problem and found a solution. I didn't mean to offend anyone by my description of the event and no, no cats were harmed in the making of the message. As for the cat getting it right on how the tent is, that's not fair. This tent is at least 10 years old and in my opinion was made when TNF was still making stuff for the sport rather than the money. So thanks again and I'll give the vinegar solution a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

I still think a cat-fancier's forum is going to have people who have gotten cat urine out of everything from Goretex jackets to camping gear to antique silk couches.

These are people who are never going to consider just getting new stuff and getting rid of the cat, and who have to get the item clean enough to keep from encouraging subsequent re-marking....once something smells like a bulletin board, and animal is going to keep using it as a bulletin board, after all!

Anyway, if they have specific brands to recommend or anything like that, let us know, would you?

taildragger
08-01-2007, 11:34
Won't this stench just eventually turn into hiker funk? I think all the tent needs is a good hike in the heat to make the cat piss part of its homeliness...

BTW, when did piss become an obscene word, I've been using it since I was 4 and was never reprimanded for it (I have a religious family as well)...then again I am an Okie...

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 11:39
Won't this stench just eventually turn into hiker funk? I think all the tent needs is a good hike in the heat to make the cat piss part of its homeliness...

BTW, when did piss become an obscene word, I've been using it since I was 4 and was never reprimanded for it (I have a religious family as well)...then again I am an Okie...

One marking attracts repeat performances, both from the first cat and from others. Except that the smell just might repel rodents, I think it is worth trying to get the smell completely OUT.

zelph
08-01-2007, 11:41
Anyone out there know a way to get cat pee out of a tent? It's a 4 season NF. I've washed it twice but it's still lingering. Thanks.

Enzymes!!!!!

This site gives good info (http://www.articlecity.com/articles/pets_and_animals/article_29.shtml)

Enzyme Cleaners - The Only Effective Cat Urine Odor Eliminator
by: Nancy E. Wigal

The first time a feline owner encounters an out-of-the-cat-litter-box experience, she probably uses whatever cleaners she has on hand. Initially, it appears she's cleaned the cat urine odor and stain from the location. However, in a matter of hours or days, she still smells the cat urine odor in the "clean" spot and can't figure out why it's still there.
You can effectively clean cat urine odor spots and get rid of the odor permanently, but you can't use the cleaners you have for other common household stain problems. This article outlines why only enzyme cleaners are effective in removing cat urine odor and stains.
Cat urine is composed of five different bacteria strains. Two of the identified bacteria strains are in cat marking scent, while the others are in the cat urine, the spray, and the uric acid. The bacteria is the main culprit responsible for the eye-watering, stomach-clenching cat urine smell. Cats usually don't lap up water in great quantities like other animals, so their urine tends to be extremely concentrated. This concentration of bacteria results in the strong smell that is unique to cat urine.
Regular household cleaners aren't designed to eradicate the bacteria in cat urine because they don't contain enzymes. If you clean up a cat urine puddle with a commercial household cleaner, you'll wipe up the puddle, but leave the bacteria behind. The odor remains and you feel frustration and anger.
But it's not hopeless. The answer is to purchase a good quality enzyme cleaner that specifically targets pet stains and odors.
Enzyme cleaners work by literally eating the bacteria in the affected area. The enzymes react to the bacteria by consuming it. When the bacteria is removed, the cat urine odor and stain is truly gone, and the smell is removed. Without the smell of the cat urine stain around, your cat is no longer encouraged to use that particular spot for her out-of-the-litter-box experience.
When you find a cat urine puddle, wipe up the puddle as much as possible. Be sure you check far and wide, in case the urine splashed or ran down an uneven surface. Then, spray or pour the enzyme cleaner onto the cat urine puddle area and let it dry. This gives the enzymes a chance to work on the bacteria and remove it. If the surface you're treating has cracks and pits, pour or spray directly into the crevice to make sure the enzyme cleaner encounters the bacteria.
Depending upon how old the cat urine puddle is, you may need to do more than one treatment. The older the puddle, the more treatment you'll need to do. Give the cleaner a chance to work by leaving it on the surface to dry.
You can usually find a variety of enzyme cleaners at your local pet store. My personal favorite is Dumb Cat Anti Marking and Cat Spray Remover. Before you purchase any enzyme cleaner, be sure to check the bottle's contents. Many enzyme cleaners use blood enzymes, which is not effective on cat urine. Dumb Cat uses enzymes that specifically targets cat urine bacteria.
Not only can you use enzyme cleaners on floor and furniture surfaces, but you can also use them as a laundry pre-soak if kitty happens to nail clothes or bedding. I also use an enzyme cleaner as a pre-soaking agent when I'm deep scrubbing my cat litter boxes every week. As the cat scratches in the box to cover her deposits, she creates cracks in the box surface. By pouring some enzyme cleaner in the cat litter box and letting it soak into the scratches, you eliminate accumulated cat urine odors that eventually discourage your cat from using her litter box. Good luck and happy cleaning

Jim Adams
08-01-2007, 11:44

good point here! maybe the cat was trying to get rid of hiker odor.:D

geek

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 14:07
good point here! maybe the cat was trying to get rid of hiker odor.:D

geek

Cats aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, but I'd give them more credit than that. Some things simply are not possible.

oldfivetango
08-01-2007, 19:15
When cats do this down home what we do is just leave a skunk
in the place for a few days and before you know what-you don't
notice that offensive cat odor no more!!!:D
Oldfivetango

Franco
08-01-2007, 20:56
Twosticks and The Weasels
I know that I did not introduced my post with a warning, followed by a mid sentence re-cap and a final explanation, (TV sit-com standard) but it was obvious enough to some that it was meant to be just a bit of fun and had nothing to do with the unmentioned TNF model.
The thread by then had already gone to the toilet.
When you hear the "there is a dead horse in the bathroom" joke and you happen to have a horse, let me assure you that it is not meant to offend you personally, it is a "joke" .
As it happens I have two cats, one of them is very fond of my tents because she likes to play with bits of string, at the tender age of 14.
I had for a short while a dwarf rabbit that liked to mark is territory even after it had been neutered. He was absolutely adorable but had to give it to a lady that had big outdoor enclosures for rabbits like that. So I do know that cleaning animal scent is not fun. Enzymes is what I used.
Franco

Tobit
08-01-2007, 21:03
Always, always, always, please make sure you have your Franco spayed or neutered.

:p

- T

Skidsteer
08-01-2007, 21:34

The Weasel

I wasn't trying to insult you.

It was a joke. A loophole joke. I thought you would appreciate it.

Yahtzee
08-01-2007, 22:51
I wasn't trying to insult you.

It was a joke. A loophole joke. I thought you would appreciate it.

Appreciate it? C'mon. Weasel got uptight about the word piss. I reckon he's not the type to appreciate a good joke.

Really, I'm stupified that someone thinks children of scouting age would be offended or harmed by the word piss. Astounded. Dumbfounded.

Weasel, c'mon man, pick your fights. That was just plain silly to bring up.

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 23:15
Appreciate it? C'mon. Weasel got uptight about the word piss. I reckon he's not the type to appreciate a good joke.

Really, I'm stupified that someone thinks children of scouting age would be offended or harmed by the word piss. Astounded. Dumbfounded.

If he doesn't bring it up, how are we supposed to know he's bothered by it?
I like to know when I've offended someone....if I'm going to offend, I'd like to at the very least only do it on purpose.

I was just giving him a bad time because he wasn't impressed by the possibility that there are both actual people referred to as pygmies and short people in general who don't like being treated as objects on account of their height, and because he pitched the girls, um, grief. We girls can "pitch grief", too.

That, The Weasel, goes under the heading of "if you can dish it out, you should try a little harder to take it." But if it really bothers you, I'm glad you made it clear. You are a pretty good sport about lawyer jokes, after all. I like you, and I'll try to remember that.

Dances with Mice
08-01-2007, 23:35

Weasel, c'mon man, pick your fights. That was just plain silly to bring up.I'll co-sign that note.

I’ve been around Scouts a long, long time. I’m trying to image a recent Webelos crossover on his first campout saying “I say, my good man, it smells as if a feline has recently urinated within close proximity of your tent.” But it’s not happening.

He might say it smells as if a cat peed, pee-pee’d, relieved itself, did its business, took a leak, marked, drained the lizard, went, wet, whizzed, tinkled, twinkled, passed water, did number one, piddled, drained the main vein, pointed it’s Percy or siphoned its python… but I really doubt it. The dear child would most likely say that the tent smells like cat piss.

Jimmers
08-02-2007, 01:23
I'm trying to recall my scouting days (they're rather hazy now) but I'm fairly certain I'd have called it cat piss as well. (Shrug) Just the word most commonly used for it in my experience.

Now Brrb Oregon does make an excellent point about wanting to know when someone has been genuinely offended by something you've said. It usually comes as something of a shock when I do it, but then who really goes out of their way to offend people? (ok, maybe that was a rhetorical question. There are a few people I know like that)

Point is it's nice to know what other people are thinking so you get a different perspective. You can always learn something new about yourself from other people's reactions.

Obsidian
08-02-2007, 06:33
Nature's miracle is one of the best products I've used to get the smell out. Vinegar also worked but not quite as well...

on a side note I remember when I was little and my youth minister would use the word piss and he always validated by saying it was in the bible.. whether that's true or not is beyond me

Skidsteer
08-02-2007, 06:44
Nature's miracle is one of the best products I've used to get the smell out. Vinegar also worked but not quite as well...

on a side note I remember when I was little and my youth minister would use the word piss and he always validated by saying it was in the bible.. whether that's true or not is beyond me

It is. Several times.
Isaiah 36:12 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=29&chapter=36&verse=12&version=9&context=verse)

aaroniguana
08-02-2007, 06:52
Insert unscrupulous lawyer joke here.

Jaybird
08-02-2007, 07:27
Anyone out there know a way to get cat piss out of a tent?..................................etc,etc,etc ,.................... .

there are several good "treatments" on the market...but, i've used SCOE 10 Spray...& it works! (invented to rid SKUNK orders)

check it out: http://www.scoe10x.com/scripts/VideoReviews.asp?gclid=CJD1iaXa1o0CFQRuZQodSy8KmQ

camojack
08-02-2007, 07:58
It is. Several times.
Isaiah 36:12 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=29&chapter=36&verse=12&version=9&context=verse)

Actually, that depends upon which version (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2036:12;&version=46;) you use. :D

Appalachian Tater
08-02-2007, 09:38
Actually, that depends upon which version (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2036:12;&version=46;) you use. :D

In the KJV, the verb "pisseth" occurs six times and the noun "piss", twice.

Wasn't offensive then, isn't now.

Brrrb Oregon
08-02-2007, 10:45
It is. Several times.

That is hardly a passage in which the speaker was trying to avoid offense, though! He was bluntly insulting how the listener's men were being treated. How words are taken does change (A BIT!) over several centuries, as well. There is also, in the same passage, reference to eating one's own excrement....not a phrase I would repeat in tender-eared company and then defend on the grounds that it appears in Isaiah. I see little evidence, for that matter, that prophets in the Hebrew Scriptures had any concept that their listeners had any right not to feel offended! After all, there is also a passage about bashing the heads of the babies' of one's enemies on the rocks. The Bible was not written as a text for Miss Manners (gasp!).

The question here is whether it would be so much to ask that the OP use a title like "Can cat urine ever be removed from a tent?" There isn't really a need for the stronger/more informal/vulgar word, and someone is just letting us know that he'd personally be more comfortable with the more technical term.

I think it is a pretty mild, although very informal, term. I would not be shocked to hear it coming out of the mouth of clergy. The Weasel thinks it's too vulgar to use around kids. Others seem to think using that substituting the word "urine" is stilted and silly. Do with that what you want....but I wouldn't waste any more typeface trying to change The Weasel's mind on the matter! :rolleyes:

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 13:01
political correctness is killing this country!
I think that considering piss an objectional word is a bunch of s**T!
geek

Jim, stop the game playing. The objection isn't to the word, but to where it's used: THIS part of WhiteBlaze is a fully public forum, and one which WB users encourage youth to visit to learn about the AT and hiking. There are other forums her in WB that are meant for grownups for a variety of topics, and the language gets pretty free in them.

Coarse language, for those who feel the need to use it, isn't something to be used here, or so many of us feel. If you feel differently, go to a youth group, ask to be a leader, and use that language there. In most cases, you'll be asked to stop, or even leave the group.

So stop accusing people of "PC". You're just out of touch.

The Weasel

twosticks
08-02-2007, 13:03
Twosticks and The Weasels
I know that I did not introduced my post with a warning, followed by a mid sentence re-cap and a final explanation, (TV sit-com standard) but it was obvious enough to some that it was meant to be just a bit of fun and had nothing to do with the unmentioned TNF model.
The thread by then had already gone to the toilet.

Franco

Franco,
I wasn't offended and I got the joke. I thought it was funny. I wouldn't have minded if the cat pissed on one of my new NF tents, would have been a good reason to replace.

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 13:08

The Weasel

Yeah, well, if you're "dumbfounded" by my comment, I'll agree with the first syllable of that.

If you think my comment was a 'fight', well, you haven't been in WB long. Me, I like jokes, although Skid needs to learn to work a room better before he/she can expect laughs. You? You and your ilk (reading this, FD?) are the ones who want to pick fights. Pity you never win them.

As for decent language in public, yeah, you may be surprised that there are people like that. There are more of us than there are of you. You need to hang out with a better class of people if you don't want to keep being "stupified." Make sure you clean up your language, though, or you won't hang out with them long.

The Weasel

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 13:22
That, The Weasel, goes under the heading of "if you can dish it out, you should try a little harder to take it." But if it really bothers you, I'm glad you made it clear. You are a pretty good sport about lawyer jokes, after all. I like you, and I'll try to remember that.

Brrrb, the "girls" posting is part of a heavy duty humor thread started by a totally hilarious lady, RockStar, who is one of my best friends here on WB, along with several others who I will not "out" for their sakes. And my comments - over the top though they may be - didn't need vulgar language to communicate. You picked a bad example.

As for lawyer jokes, well there ARE no lawyer jokes. They're all true.

The Weasel

Krewzer
08-02-2007, 15:32
My dear TwoSticks, I hope I'm not too late. You are most fortunate to have such a cat with your best interests at heart. That is a rare cat indeed.

You should not attempt to remove the Cat...."whatever that wet stuff is" from you tent, pack, stocking cap or other gear. Leave it for as long as it is effective.

And when it is no longer viable, contact us here at "Mouse Away!" We're the only SCAT approved manufacturer of true organic feline mouse inhibitor products here in the islands. Now available in Siamese,Tabby and Alley fragrances. Only $19.95 for a 500 mile supply. (Spray applicators, additional $1.95)

Don't be fooled by cheap Jack Russell imitations......Mouse Away, it's the only way.

Jim Adams
08-02-2007, 17:37
Jim, stop the game playing. The objection isn't to the word, but to where it's used: THIS part of WhiteBlaze is a fully public forum, and one which WB users encourage youth to visit to learn about the AT and hiking. There are other forums her in WB that are meant for grownups for a variety of topics, and the language gets pretty free in them.

Coarse language, for those who feel the need to use it, isn't something to be used here, or so many of us feel. If you feel differently, go to a youth group, ask to be a leader, and use that language there. In most cases, you'll be asked to stop, or even leave the group.

So stop accusing people of "PC". You're just out of touch.

The Weasel
You missed the point totally! My objection is not about the word either. My objection is that ANYONE would think that it is inappropriate here!
It is slang and part of the normal 'American" speech. There is no reason to feel that it is offensive anywhere.:(
geek

aaroniguana
08-02-2007, 19:03
As for lawyer jokes, well there ARE no lawyer jokes. They're all true.

That was the sense of humor I was missing in this thread. OK, point made.

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 19:26
You missed the point totally! My objection is not about the word either. My objection is that ANYONE would think that it is inappropriate here!
It is slang and part of the normal 'American" speech. There is no reason to feel that it is offensive anywhere.:(
geek

Jim, the word may be slang, but so are a lot of other offensive words. And it may be part of "normal" in the group you are with, and it may even be common among many young people. But it's not 'public' speech among most of America. I'll use the term, in some circumstances, and possibly even in the 'sensitive' forums here on WB. But no, you're wrong. It's vulgar, and I don't care how much 50 Cent has convinced you that it's just something cute to use. It's offensive in a lot of places, including most American homes, around most American children, in most American churches, in most American Scout Troops, and in most family-welcoming websites, which I think includes WhiteBlaze. If you don't agree, go to the leaders of those kinds of places and ask them if they want that kind of language to be routine, or if they welcome it. A lot of us don't.

Lest you really think that it's "just a word," well, it's also one of the famouns "Seven Dirty Words" that the Supreme Court - by a close 5/4 vote led by Justice Stevens, who is not exactly a hell-on-wheels conservative -found to be sufficiently offense (albeit not obscene) as to justify the Federal Communications Commission barring from the airwaves. (The others were s**t, c**t, m****rf****r, c**ks****r, and t**s (the latter referring to women's breasts, not the small chickadee-like bird), so you can see the class of words that no less an authority on language than George Carlin put p**s in). One of the bases that the Court used was that regardless of how inoffensive such language might be in some places and among some adults, the airwaves - open to children and youth - are not appropriate places for such terms. While that was in 1978, the decision has been repeatedly relied on, and is 'good law' in the sense of still effective, today.

In a word, as I said before, you're wrong.

And that's not a lawyer joke.

The Weasel

The Weasel

Appalachian Tater
08-02-2007, 19:44
Weasel, your criticism of the use of the word "piss" was worse than the use of the word itself.

If you see language you find offensive and it wasn't auto-censored like "mother****er" is, hit that little yield button and report it so the administrators can remove it.

Appalachian Tater
08-02-2007, 19:48
http://william.torkington.com/movies/20050716-7words.mov

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 20:15
Weasel, your criticism of the use of the word "piss" was worse than the use of the word itself.

If you see language you find offensive and it wasn't auto-censored like "mother****er" is, hit that little yield button and report it so the administrators can remove it.

I made a gentle observation, and the poster has, since then, appeared to concur. Under those circumstances, it would have been wildly inappropriate to have reported it. And my criticism - to the poster - was far more mild than it pleases you to distort it to be. You want to pick fights and generally be obnoxious; I wanted to make a suggestion - I think that was the word that I used - and the poster was (I am glad to see) a nice enough person to take the suggestion in the way it was offered.

The Weasel

Tobit
08-02-2007, 20:52
The following is a verbatim transcript of "Filthy Words" (the George Carlin monologue at issue in the Supreme Court case of FCC v. Pacifica Foundation) prepared by the Federal Communications Commission:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/filthywords.html

- T

Franco
08-02-2007, 20:55
I hate to pour water over this long winded conversation and other mixed metaphors but it is clear that what offends some does not others.
As a great fan of the Marx Bros (excluding Karl ) I cannot recall any vulgarity from them, certainly not from Harpo, but they are still funny today.
Here is a list of seven terms that I find particularly vulgar :
Surgical strike, smart bombs, regime change, smart bombs, decapitation strike,collateral damage,friendly fire.( I particularly dislike smart bombs)
Maybe those are the ones the American Government should ban.
Franco

The Weasel
08-02-2007, 21:03
I hate to pour water over this long winded conversation and other mixed metaphors but it is clear that what offends some does not others.
As a great fan of the Marx Bros (excluding Karl ) I cannot recall any vulgarity from them, certainly not from Harpo, but they are still funny today.
Here is a list of seven terms that I find particularly vulgar :
Surgical strike, smart bombs, regime change, smart bombs, decapitation strike,collateral damage,friendly fire.( I particularly dislike smart bombs)
Maybe those are the ones the American Government should ban.
Franco

It's not a question of "banning." It's a question of what is appropriate in family sites or sites that welcome the participation of youth.

I think it says a lot that no one responds to that. And that's my whole point.

The Weasel

GNR
08-02-2007, 21:23
I usually only lurk here but this is too good a bitch session to pass up on. In my opinion, people here HAVE been commenting on the "appropriateness" of the word...most people seem to feel that the word does not rise to the level of vulgarity, even in the context of youth.

I feel like words that make people, especially parents, queasy when said or heard by children are always opportunities to teach, learn and discuss what they mean. When my child comes home and says ***** after he gets off the school bus, I can say something like, "Don't ever say that!" or "Where did you learn that word?" and leave it at that, or I can teach the child what the word is used for, at a level that he can handle developmentally, and then remind him that he is not to use it. The conversation wouldn't have happened unless the child is exposed to the word, and then says it to bring it to my attention.

I don't even think that "piss" can bring on a sophisticated conversation such as the example, but maybe.

Anyway, the word appropriate, now that is a word that I would like to erase, as it rarely has any meaning at all.

Appalachian Tater
08-02-2007, 21:35
Weasel, posting about what you consider inappropriate language didn't get it removed so it was ineffective in achieving your goal of protecting youth. It merely drew attention to it. Here's the appropriate action, taken from the user agreement:

"If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question."

And to address your question (again), I, for one, do not believe that writing "a cat pissed on my tent" is offensive and neither does the dictionary. It is informal but not vulgar or sometimes vulgar or obscene. It is indeed appropriate on "family sites or sites that welcome the participation of youth.".

Specifically, if someone is old enough to surf the internet on their own and navigate and read these forums, it is not an offensive phrase. In fact, I had to read the original post again three times before figuring out what you might have meant in your original criticism -- at first, I thought it had something to do with "NF".

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 21:42
Just FYI......

My daughter was watching "Spongebob Squarepants" on Nickelodeon.....I heard from the other room the word "pee" used twice in thirty minutes.......

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 21:43
Back to the original thread content.....

Soaking the tent in water and vinegar and then soaking it in Arm and Hammer Clothes Detergent is effective in breaking down the enzymes in the offensive odor.

If that doesn't work, take the cat outside and beat the piss out of him!

Tobit
08-02-2007, 21:45
Television programs AND commercials need policing and advocacy more than WhiteBlaze. I can't believe some of the things I hear when I watch TV and I hardly ever watch TV anymore.

- T

Jim Adams
08-02-2007, 21:55
Jim, the word may be slang, but so are a lot of other offensive words. And it may be part of "normal" in the group you are with, and it may even be common among many young people. But it's not 'public' speech among most of America. I'll use the term, in some circumstances, and possibly even in the 'sensitive' forums here on WB. But no, you're wrong. It's vulgar, and I don't care how much 50 Cent has convinced you that it's just something cute to use. It's offensive in a lot of places, including most American homes, around most American children, in most American churches, in most American Scout Troops, and in most family-welcoming websites, which I think includes WhiteBlaze. If you don't agree, go to the leaders of those kinds of places and ask them if they want that kind of language to be routine, or if they welcome it. A lot of us don't.

Lest you really think that it's "just a word," well, it's also one of the famouns "Seven Dirty Words" that the Supreme Court - by a close 5/4 vote led by Justice Stevens, who is not exactly a hell-on-wheels conservative -found to be sufficiently offense (albeit not obscene) as to justify the Federal Communications Commission barring from the airwaves. (The others were s**t, c**t, m****rf****r, c**ks****r, and t**s (the latter referring to women's breasts, not the small chickadee-like bird), so you can see the class of words that no less an authority on language than George Carlin put p**s in). One of the bases that the Court used was that regardless of how inoffensive such language might be in some places and among some adults, the airwaves - open to children and youth - are not appropriate places for such terms. While that was in 1978, the decision has been repeatedly relied on, and is 'good law' in the sense of still effective, today.

In a word, as I said before, you're wrong.

And that's not a lawyer joke.

The Weasel

The Weasel
You're right, that WAS 1978. I heard(and I wont delete here because it was on normal television) today on the history channel on normal TV "pissing bastards". It was on a story about motorcycle clubs in the 1950's and there was no warning for adult content. If it obviously is not censored on TV then why censor it here. I went back and re-read your entry just to see if I could understand your point of view, but I can't see it. I have heard the word piss used in conversations at church, at school, in Scouting groups and by young children.
I am 54 y/o and do not lack morals. I have two adult children that I raised who also have very good morals and I am proud of the good people that they have turned out to be.
I just don't see the concern about a word!
Normal day to day life is difficult enough without having to worry about urinating someone off.:rolleyes:

geek

Dances with Mice
08-02-2007, 22:11
Well, I would like to thank The Weasel.

If it wasn't for his input the word "piss" would have hardly been mentioned at all on this thread and the discussion would center on boring stuff like the effectiveness of enzymic detergents versus surfactant treatments, dual acid-base combinations of household ingredients, solvents, or strong acids and their possible effects on the tent fabroc.

W-B has already decided because there is an auto-filter that will allow "piss" but won't allow anyone to write the name of the country of *******, whose capital is Abuja.

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 22:14
N I G E R I A

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 22:14
See, that was easy.....always a way around filters!

Tobit
08-02-2007, 22:19
No shiat....

Dances with Mice
08-02-2007, 22:19
See, that was easy.....always a way around filters!And the point is that W-B has already compiled a list of words forbidden on their site with the intention of keeping the site youth and family-friendly. The names of African countries may be outlawed but piss just flows right through.

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 22:21
Now that was funny!!!!

Tobit
08-02-2007, 22:23
If piss doesn't flow right through, you need to see a doctor immediately!

- T

aaroniguana
08-02-2007, 22:29
piss just flows right through.

Nicely played!

Frosty
08-03-2007, 08:14
I particularly dislike smart bombsI agree 100%. Those bombs cost a LOT of money. It is far cheaper to saturate bomb a target with good, old-fashioned dumb bombs. They totally obliterate a target, and the collateral damage serves as a warning of things to come. But probably the best place to criticize the foreign policies of our respective countries is in the political forum, and let this thread stay on topic. :-?

Two Speed
08-03-2007, 09:52
. . . and let this thread stay on topic. :-?On topic, you say? Ummmm . . . :p

Mags
08-03-2007, 09:53
On topic, you say? Ummmm . . . :p

I take it back. THIS thread is a wicked pissah...

(Said by scouts all over southern New England..)

Ender
08-03-2007, 10:50
I was hoping for a brave soul before me who may have had the same problem and found a solution.

I have used Odoban on both a backpack and a fleece vest that a cat urinated on, with perfect results. I did treat the vest twice and the backpack three times, just to be sure, but even after the first treatment, the cat urine odor was gone. Odoban does leave it's own scent, but it's pleasant, and fades with time anyway. I still own both the vest and the backpack, nine years later, and still use the vest (the backpack weighs in at 5.5 lbs, so it's relegated to the Honorably Discharged pile of my gear).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Mags
08-03-2007, 10:52
I have used Odoban on both a backpack and a fleece vest that a cat urinated on, with perfect results. .

I am actually finding this thread useful. My sandals now have that dreaded "sandal funk". I suspect some of these tips will work well for anything that has ah..an interesting odor. :)

Ender
08-03-2007, 12:03
My sandals now have that dreaded "sandal funk". I suspect some of these tips will work well for anything that has ah..an interesting odor. :)

Huh... that's a great idea! For some reason, I never though of doing that with my sandals (duh)... and boy howdy do they need it.

dixicritter
08-03-2007, 19:48
W-B has already decided because there is an auto-filter that will allow "piss" but won't allow anyone to write the name of the country of *******, whose capital is Abuja.

You must've put those *'s in yourself because I fixed that problem last week. See Nigeria.

To The Weasel and everyone else...

As to adding the word piss to the word filter it isn't happening... get over it already and quit high jacking this thread.

Jim Adams
08-03-2007, 20:16
You must've put those *'s in yourself because I fixed that problem last week. See Nigeria.

To The Weasel and everyone else...

As to adding the word piss to the word filter it isn't happening... get over it already and quit high jacking this thread.

Dixi, thanks for being the voice of reason.
On the thread topic...I have found it very useful. With over a year out there with my cat, not once did he ever urinate on my pack, bag, tent, clothes ect. I guess that is the old adage of "not where you live or eat". OTOH, I have thrown out gear that my girlfriends cat urinated on because I didn't know what coarse of action to take for the odor.
Thanks to all for the advice.:sun

geek

Dances with Mice
08-03-2007, 20:24
You must've put those *'s in yourself because I fixed that problem last week. See Nigeria.<shuffles feet> Busted.

But I would never type a word like that on such a nice forum.

Franco
08-06-2007, 04:39
Not sure if this helps, but Abikleen Laundries in Benin City, Nigeria, specializes in stain removal. Hopefully that will include domestic cat's piss.
Franco

totally Boagus
08-06-2007, 07:40
If it was an English cat it would have taken a "slash" on the tent.....far more proper and refined:p

TB

Monkeyboy
08-06-2007, 09:17
But if he asked what to do if his cat slashed his tent, we'd all be telling him how to properly sew it up....

Pennsylvania Rose
08-06-2007, 10:44
One of our cats SPRAYED my daughter's sleeping bag recently. A good soak in vinegar and water, then a long wash in our front loading washing machine did the trick.

STEVEM
08-06-2007, 11:30
One of our cats SPRAYED my daughter's sleeping bag recently. A good soak in vinegar and water, then a long wash in our front loading washing machine did the trick.

But what did you do with the sleeping bag?

Skidsteer
08-06-2007, 12:39
But what did you do with the sleeping bag?

Burial shroud.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-06-2007, 12:55
Burial shroud.

For the cat!!!

No, really, I did put the cats outside permanently - with many tears from my daughter. She'd rather sleep in a smelly bag and replace the carpet and drywall that the cat sprayed on and used as a scratching post than take the chance that the cats would get hurt or disappear. We've had a lot of cats over the years, but none as annoying as the two we have now.

Tobit
08-06-2007, 13:03
Man, the piss still lingers on.

- T

Jim Adams
08-06-2007, 18:38
Rosie,
tell your daughter about Ziggy. The cats will be fine outside!

geek

Jan LiteShoe
08-06-2007, 19:03
Well, I would like to thank The Weasel.

I had to Google that one...
:)

damush
08-06-2007, 21:59
Back to the original thread content.....

Soaking the tent in water and vinegar and then soaking it in Arm and Hammer Clothes Detergent is effective in breaking down the enzymes in the offensive odor.

If that doesn't work, take the cat outside and beat the piss out of him!
I agree with beating the cat.

JERMM
08-07-2007, 10:34
Get a bottle of Natural's Miracle, formulated "JUST FOR CATS", the dog formula won't work on cat urine. Sold at PetsMart and Petco online and in stores. Follow the directions, it may take two treatments, the stuff works. I have two cats, one saturated my carpet, it took almost a gallon of the stuff, but no odor or stain.

cowboy nichols
07-04-2009, 13:50
I'll bet no other cats p------- covered so much area.

Alli
07-04-2009, 16:27
Weasel-- It might have been 50 years since you were 10 years old, but it hasn't been much more than 10 for me. When I was 10 I knew every single swear word imaginable (learned most of them when I was six actually), and I went to a Catholic school!

As long as the parent properly informs the child of which words are appropriate to use around sensitive old people like yourself, it doesn't matter if the child sees them on the internet.It's not the internet's job to parent. It's the parent's job.

And furthermore, if you're seriously offended by a bad word on an internet forum, you might want to just shut your modem off now, because the internet contains multitudes of way more offensive words, images, videos, etc. Do a GIS (safe search off) for Goatse, Lemonparty, or Tubgirl if you don't believe me (don't do it at work or around your children though). All three of those images I saw before I was 13. I'd like to think I'm a pretty polite person and I certainly don't swear around the elderly.

Oh and my brother, who was a boy scout and also went to Catholic school, informed me about all the swear words. Hell, when you're in the woods camping you don't have much else to do but learn stuff like that.

On topic: I would also recommend vinegar. That stuff is potent.

Wise Old Owl
07-04-2009, 20:59
Cowboy posted on a 2 year old thread... bet that tent still smells -

Rockhound
07-04-2009, 23:21

The Weasel
Any way to get the smell of cat piss out of my portable shelter? there. Is that better weasy?

adventurousmtnlvr
07-05-2009, 02:06
yes, I do from experience with another item ... go to petsmart or similar store and buy "Nature's Miracle" Dual Action Orange-Oxy Powr stain & Odor remover ... had a similar cat problem and the worst smell ever. Researched the Internet and found what not to use (lol after I'd tried those thinking it was the right stuff) ... don't use anything with PINE and expecially not BLEACH ... it will attract more cats. And you can also use it as a pre-wash treatment. Instructions are on bottle which by the way is orange :)

World-Wide
07-05-2009, 04:12

When I first saw the hits on this thread I was like, "Damn, these White Blazer's really know their stuff on removing the smell of urine!!" Didn't realize 3/4's of the thread was actually a "pissing contest!" :( A lot of suggestions posted mention vinegar or some other acidic recommendation, but that's the exact reason they have all failed. You need an anti-acidic course of action to counter-battle the high acidity of feline urine. Every creature known to man pisses with a certain level of acidity except for one, "Sasquatch!" Thanks in collaboration with Jack Links beef jerkey and three brave grad-students from Yeshiva University New York, a way to extract Sasquatch urine has been identified. The method is dangerous and eye-protection is definitely recommended!! :D For the first time ever, here's the method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5PYj60gZU

Weasel: Sorry for saying "pissing!" I was a Webeol, Cub Scout and a Boy Scout growing-up which led me to a 20 year active duty career in the United States Air Force. We really weren't all that vulnerable and sensitive!!

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-05-2009, 15:39
I found that urine out...which you can get at lowes and walmart gets both the stain and the smell out of just about anything...including backpacks, sleeping bags, down jackets, and tents. spray...let soak for a few hours...then either leave it or wash it.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
07-05-2009, 15:43
I found that urine out...which you can get at lowes and walmart gets both the stain and the smell out of just about anything...including backpacks, sleeping bags, down jackets, and tents. spray...let soak for a few hours...then either leave it or wash it.

Sorry...the product is urine gone. My vet uses urine off. Both products work really really well. I even put urine gone in my carpet cleaner to get out big stains. HAzard of having an old cat (18 years).

Marta
07-05-2009, 15:45
Ya know, I've never had trouble with mice bothering my tent. Maybe it's because my male cat "helped" me treat it when I had it set up for seam-sealing. I am reminded of that fact whenever I set the tent up, six or seven years later. Especially when the air is damp and still.

That cat does love to take a crack at anything nylon.

Wise Old Owl
07-05-2009, 17:26
ya Know, I've Never Had Trouble With Mice Bothering My Tent. Maybe It's Because My Male Cat "helped" Me Treat It When I Had It Set Up For Seam-sealing. I Am Reminded Of That Fact Whenever I Set The Tent Up, Six Or Seven Years Later. Especially When The Air Is Damp And Still.

That Cat Does Love To Take A Crack At Anything Nylon.

Eeeeewwwww.....:D