PDA

View Full Version : need help planning trip, any advice helps!

matthewmichael
07-31-2007, 15:47
So two of my friends and i are planning a 9 day backpacking trip in mid september and we need some help finding something that fits our criteria. we want something of a medium diffculty and i demand some mountains, ergo the app trail. however my friend really wants there to be plenty of water (i.e. streams, rivers or lakes) so we're trying to locate some places that will fit both of those needs. we'll be setting out from nashville, TN, so anything that starts in Tennessee or North Carolina is totally acceptable, any ideas on trails or advice as to where to go and start out would be a great help, thanks to much in advance.
matt

Morning Glory
07-31-2007, 16:22
Try starting at Sam's Gap on the TN/NC line and head north, finishing up at Watuaga Lake. This is just over 100 miles and should satisfy both of your wishes. Also, if you need any shuttling, I will be happy to help you out.

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:48
Hit the Tenn. Turnpike. Pick it up at Miss Janets and roll in to Damascus (shameless grasp at having my hiking bro Matthewski come to see me!)

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:48
Er, sorry, Not MIss Janets as it is no longer....but from Erwin!

Wonder
08-01-2007, 10:49
Last Oppss....Man, I should have some coffee......You're not Matthewski, bt come see Damascus anyway....we have fun here!

Chaco Taco
08-02-2007, 21:35
Smoky Mtn National Park, Waterville School Road- Erwin, Tn
Damascus- Atkins.

Two Speed
08-03-2007, 07:55
Standing Indian is good if you can do without the lakes. Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT at Deep Gap, run the AT north to Glassmine Gap, take the Long Branch Trail back. Only problem is some folks find Kimsey Creek Trail a little confusing; KCT isn't blazed as clearly as the AT. After Deep Gap navigation is cake.

Nearly Normal
08-03-2007, 19:07
Foothills Trail
Lots of water, hills, mountains, rapids.
Good map and guide available.
NC, SC, with GA across the river.
Mostly SC.
Mostly moderate, some difficult.

Nearly Normal