PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiker in Washington DC?

J5man
07-31-2007, 20:10
I was in Washington DC weekend before last and was in one of the Smithsonian Museums (National Portraiture Musem) and saw a hiker decked out with a Gearskin pack and all of the hiker attire. He was going through security (imagine that with all of your gear with you) and I didn't have a chance to talk with him to see where he was hiking to/from. Is it common for thru-hikers to take a detour to DC?

Cookerhiker
07-31-2007, 20:19
It's not unheard of. Probably not the majority but a significant minority will take advantage of the 2 commuter trains from Harpers Ferry. I've heard of hikers (most likely those who started in April) who time their DC arrival for the July 4 fireworks on the mall. Personally, I think the cool thing to do would be rent a bicycle (not sure if rentals are available in HF) and cycle down the C&O Canal 60 miles to DC/Georgetown.

FWIT, when you pass Thornton Gap in Shenandoah NP, the road sign on US Rt. 211 mentions Washington DC. I've seen hikers describe the thrill of seeing this in their journals. Virginia of course is endless but seeing a sign for DC seems like progress.

aaroniguana
07-31-2007, 20:51
Could have been a thru hiker on the ADT since it goes through the heart of DC. I talked to several passing through NWDC in April/May, they jumped off at Henlopen in April. Or the Potomac Heritage Trail, which also goes through DC.

wilconow
07-31-2007, 21:57
Could have been a thru hiker on the ADT since it goes through the heart of DC. I talked to several passing through NWDC in April/May, they jumped off at Henlopen in April. Or the Potomac Heritage Trail, which also goes through DC.

several? several people thru the ADT?

aaroniguana
07-31-2007, 22:31
I drive route 50 between Annapolis and Washington almost every day and see thrus on the shoulder regularly.

Moon Monster
08-01-2007, 09:38
Given the population, some thru-hikers even live in DC and surrounds. I did right before my thru-hike, and I went in to visit friends. It's not just a tourist town;)

A year later in May, I was living in Arlington and drove past a thin, full-bearded 20-something wearing a Northface shirt, conversion-shorts, and Merrels on foot in Ballston. Plus, he just had that look about him of a thru-hiker--the kind of look that other thru-hikers instinctively know even when one is clean shaven (like something out of the Highlander movie and TV franchise). I still kick myself for not stopping to offer him a ride or some other magic.

Time To Fly 97
08-01-2007, 09:54
I caught 4rth of July in DC on my thru-hike and enjoyed the carnival type booths in the park during the day. Very cool experience!!!

Happy hiking!

TTF

J5man
08-01-2007, 10:58
Thanks for all of your insight everyone!

Chef2000
08-01-2007, 15:21
I met friends in DC for weekend during my hike, buT I left the pack in the hotel.

Cedar Tree
08-01-2007, 15:53
I met friends in DC for weekend during my hike, buT I left the pack in the hotel.

I also have a close friend that lives in DC. I rode the train over from Harper's Ferry and spent 2 days. It was cheap and easy.
CT

RITBlake
08-01-2007, 16:04
We spent about 5 days in the D.C. area. We spent the time staying w/ family and friends, checked out all the touristy spots, went to Kings Dominion, and basically just hung out.

Great side trip and very very easy to do w/ the trains running directly from Harpers Ferry to D.C.