PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Gap to Erwin

MoodyBluer
08-01-2007, 15:15
Hiking this section this Friday & Sat. w/ my boys and looking forward to the views from Big Bald...anybody have any comments or advice about this section?

Morning Glory
08-01-2007, 16:37
should be a nice hike. If you're tenting, Whistling Gap is a really nice area to tent in. I think I did this section over a 2 days also. The climb up Big bald was a little tough, but after that, it was a pretty easy hike.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 17:56
From Sam's Gap to Big Bald is all pretty much uphill. We ate lunch at Little Bald then went on in and spent the night at Bald Mnt Shelter. Did the sunrise thing on top of Bald..gorgeous! Have a great hike and be safe.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2007, 21:19
I've been up Big Bald twice, once in early May, once in July. You'll love it, especially with the variety of wildflowers.

From Spivey Gap, you have an initially steep ascent amidst laurel, Rhododendron, and a waterfall. Afterwards, the hike is easy. If you plan to camp at No Business Knob shelter, make sure you get your water beforehand; the official source is en-route, downhill from the shelter.

ANHINGA
08-01-2007, 22:31
Have compass with you. One socked-in October day, we spent about an hour wandering around the bald with no sense of the cardinal points or which direction the trail headed once we came upon it again. No real danger, but humbling to be reminded that there's no such thing as an innate sense of direction when everything is a grey blurry mist.

Chaco Taco
08-01-2007, 22:36
Ill be out in the area mid week next week. See ya'll out there. Thanks for the ideas of places to stop.:sun

ImkerVS
08-01-2007, 22:47
Sometimes downhill can be tougher than going uphill. From Spivey Gap down to Nolichucky, you may find you wish you had hiking poles, or maybe you'll wish you had something other than tennis shoes. Fun views, but relentless down grade. I was cramped at the bottom of it.

Brushy Sage
08-02-2007, 17:39
Have compass with you. One socked-in October day, we spent about an hour wandering around the bald with no sense of the cardinal points or which direction the trail headed once we came upon it again. No real danger, but humbling to be reminded that there's no such thing as an innate sense of direction when everything is a grey blurry mist.

And now the trail has been rerouted over the bald. However, newly-blazed posts have been placed to help wanderers in the fog and mist.

Cookerhiker
08-03-2007, 15:22
Sometimes downhill can be tougher than going uphill. ......

Sometimes?:-? For me, most i.e. 95% of the time. I'm no speed demon uphill but I much prefer it to downhill anytime. And yes, the descent to the Nolichucky River is a good example.

unl1988
08-03-2007, 15:40
Great section to hike, stop at the new gas station in Wolf Laurel before you launch and get some of their baked goods, Great cookies. Also, hit the Erwin Burrito when your done for a victory burrito.

MoodyBluer
08-06-2007, 18:29
got back from the trip and my boys and I had a good time...they are not the hikers I am but they persevered and finished just fine...the downhill to the Nolichucky wasn't as bad as I thought although any downhill that long does make your calves scream. I thought the descent down into the NOC was much harder.

Anyways, the temps were perfect...never above 80 degrees at elevation such as Big Bald and the views were a little hazy but great nonetheless.