PDA

View Full Version : Long time...

RagingHampster
10-22-2003, 08:28
Oh boy, haven't been by in a while and thought I'd pop in.

I've been doing alot of local hiking in central Mass. I have been preparing everything for my ultimate road-trip coming up this spring. I was supposed to leave this fall, but after rethinking, I've decided to leave come spring so that I can sneak up to Alaska come July before hitting Mexico. Everything is ready to go now, I'm just topping off my funds and biding my time.

I will be doing some section hikes throughout the AT this summer while road-tripping instead of making a thru-hike attempt as I had begun planning. Hopefully see some of shenandoah, and hike some of the big ones down south. Probably so some 2 or 3 day in and outs, with some day-hikes on select hills.

But it's nice to hear from so many of you, and I'll be checking back more often now that I have some extra time before my departure.

Keep 'Truckin
- Nick

DebW
10-22-2003, 10:16
Hey RH. Good to hear from you again. I was looking for you on the LT in September, but guess you weren't there. Did meet a guy from Greenfield, MA - a merchant marine named Scott heading sobo.

RagingHampster
10-22-2003, 10:46
Nice to here you got on the LT last month!
I requested a month off, but my boss said no way... :(

I'd like to do an overnighter this winter on Stratton Mountain, I have someone that knows that area well in the winter, as I've only hiked it in the spring/summer/fall. I hear that camping in the firetower is real fun ( :D ) ...

Scorpion
10-22-2003, 16:47
RH
Good to see you here again. I'm still useing and happy with my Arapaho Solo tent. Glad you steered me in that direction.
Scorpion

icemanat95
10-22-2003, 23:59
I'm not sure I would want to camp up there overnight. I'd feel a hell of a lot more secure in a good tent down in the trees. Might try skiing that mountain this year, the terrain is supposed to be fairly challenging.

RagingHampster
10-23-2003, 13:57
I'm talking about Stratton Mountain Vermont, not the one further up the AT. Except for the ski-slope side of the hill, the rest is completely under tree-cover, but there is a fire-tower that is always maintained, and built like a rock. A friend and I want to spend a night up in the tower.

I've hiked up Stratton a bunch of times, just never slept there during the winter. It should be fun, but we'll have to wait until heavy snowfall.

Blue Jay
10-23-2003, 14:59
I was just up there a week ago the colors were blinding. As I remember you are a big guy. The top of the tower is small. I do not think you could stretch out in it. Plus there is no cover over the stairs. If you were both very short and very thin maybe. Sorry to rain on your parade. There are some good camping spots below the tower.

RagingHampster
10-23-2003, 18:22
What happened to the stair cover?

It definetly had a cover over the stairs, my friend and I laid down diagonally and just fit, it's larger than it looks. We certainly could bring my winter tent, but that's kinda like cheating :p

Nice to here from all you guys/gals I haven't chatted with in a while.

Footslogger
10-24-2003, 14:34
Hey RH ...long time no see. Actually, I've been away myself for about 6 months hiking that footpath we call the AT.

Went up Stratton Mtn on this year's thru and had the good fortune of getting a free gondola ride down to the village. Agree that it would probably be a good place to camp. Then again, getting up top in the winter might be a challenge.