PDA

View Full Version : ~SNP~ JonesRunTrail

RiverWarriorPJ
08-01-2007, 16:25
How are the camp sites & availability along Jones Run Trail south of Doyles Cabin in SNP..??..H.O.I. or H.H. will probably have the answer, but does anyone here know of any camps near the falls that are well off the trail..??..
...thnx...

jlb2012
08-01-2007, 17:01
I can't say as I have ever looked for a camp site near the falls on Jones Run - there maybe one but I can't remember one. The only place I have camped near there is a bit further down Jones Run - where Jones Run joins Doyle River there are some sites down stream from that junction - cross Jones Run just before the junction and go down the river a little.

Also note - as a hammocker I don't have a particularly good eye for tent camping sites - my idea of a good site does not pay much attention to slope or rocks so long as it has two trees of reasonable size and distance apart with nothing sizeable between them.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-01-2007, 21:15
note - as a hammocker I don't have a particularly good eye for tent camping sites -

:eek:..lol..Thnx H.O.I......that was exactly what i was lQQkin 4...Be out there some time b/4 the middle of the month..thnx again..

Hikerhead
08-01-2007, 21:40
It's a pretty steep valley going along both creeks. An awesome site is where the two creeks meet but it's marked no camping. Like HOI said, go down river from the creek juntion. I did the loop last summer and hammocked up on a ridge when I got back up on top, between the AT and the parkway. This was about 200 yards after I passed a bear cub looking like he had just been kicked out of the house.

tanpuma
08-01-2007, 22:51
I was just hiking in that area a few weeks ago, the falls are all very very low.
no swimming hole on doyles, more like a below knee wading. I go up there almost every year and it was the lowest I have seen for july. Maybe it will rain and pick up again hopefully.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-03-2007, 16:06
Thnx HH...wasn't aware of the camping restrictions.......
Swimming holes are now wading areas all over the South East..

LupeLeah
08-05-2007, 06:44
do you have a hike on tap PJ?

Skyline
08-05-2007, 09:19
Like HOI, I am not aware of any good tentsites near the Jones Run Falls.

However, there is one ABOVE and to the side of the larger Doyles River Falls. It may be hard to find right now due to being overgrown with ground foliage.

There are multiple sites near the junction of Jones and Doyles. Both require crossing each stream, which should not be a problem at present.

RiverWarriorPJ
08-06-2007, 09:21
do you have a hike on tap PJ?
lQQkin' to do something on the 14th or 15th for a week or so...