PDA

View Full Version : ENO Hammock (Doublenest) side ties?

therumpus
08-01-2007, 19:52
Has anyone ever attached side tie outs to an ENO double nest? If so, some nylon, thread, etc... (I check some other forums and cannot seem to find specifics, all seem to relate to making their own hammocks).

The reason I am asking is, CASH! The HH are an expensive alternative, albeit light, but seemingly the most expensive.... I cannot sew - that limits making my own hammock. So I figured I could "customize" my existing hanger with some limited sewing help.

Also, the bug net that is designed for the double nest seems bulky and not very form fitting. See link: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/guardian-bug-net.html

I was thinking of taking the Guardian bug net (see below link) and tying it off at the bottom, once in the hammock, obviously not the most convenient but AN alternative. Any suggestions?

http://www.rei.com/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&langId=-1&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47946154

RockStar
08-01-2007, 20:05
Try searching the http://www.hammockforums.net I have heard it discussed before. Good luck.

FanaticFringer
08-01-2007, 21:25
I see your the newest member over at hammock forums. I'd suggest posting this over there as well. I own a couple of Hennessy hammocks as well as a homemade one. The side tie outs are o.k on my Hennessy but I really dont notice the difference if used or not.
Others may feel differently. Might try to PM Hooch over at hammock forums. He owns a Doublenest and could give you some good feedback.

RockStar
08-01-2007, 21:54
Peanuts also uses an ENO

Ramble~On
08-02-2007, 03:57
I have an Eno DoubleNest...I have the Guardian BugNet and I sewed tie outs on the hammock.

The tie out points were not intended to be used as tie out points but rather to be used to attach a homemade underquilt. I had a line next to my hammock on a trip and got the idea to tie off to it and it worked...so the loops sewn on to the perimemter of the Eno now have dual use. Honestly, there really isn't much use guying out the hammock.
The Guardian bugnet....I have used several times (notice I didn't say many) from the first time I used it I started thinking of ways to improve it...hint hint.

Dan Wilson
08-02-2007, 09:20
I now have the guardian bug net (luck to get one as they were back ordered on the web site all most all spring www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com) ) as well and have never had any problems with bugs at all! I used it down in the florida everglades over the summer and each morning i would wake up with swarms of no-seeums lerking outside...! I would wake up smiling smiling smiling...

peanuts
08-02-2007, 09:27
i used the guardian bug net, it was wonderful, no bugs, but.... its waaaaaaay too heavy! so i had a friend of my aunt sew velcro on the hammock edge and on nanoseeum that i bought at thru-hiker. bug net weight about 6oz.

Grinder
08-02-2007, 11:53
I just don't see the advantage of side tie outs!!

Maybe with the sewn on permanent bug net that HH have, it is necessary to keep the net out of your face.

It is true that, when you get in top loading (conventional) hammock, you have to push the sides out into place at your head and feet. But once done you are set for the night.

There is no increase in stability, etc, that I notice.

Tell me what I'm missing here??

MIles of Smiles
Tom

jettjames
08-02-2007, 11:57
i used the eno and the gaurdian net. i didn't bother with side tie outs, didn't think i needed them. had some great hangs and some sad ones but never needed tie outs. the bug net works great, but, right, it is a bit heavy. I use it now with my mac cat tarp. i set it up as a tent then tie off the bug net to the treeking poles and lay my pad in it and climb on in, works great. and it is durable.

Your ENO haoomock and the gaurdian will work just fine, actually they will work great, I used mine for 3.5 months and over 700 miles. didn't bother with the bug net other than maybe, 20 nites.

therumpus
08-02-2007, 16:21
Again, the HH prides itself on the ASYM technology and the tie outs are an intregal part of the HH (I am ass-u-ming, as I do not own an HH), but it makes sense to make a diag. lay easier? As I have not sewn tie outs to the doublenest, I can only speculate.

thanks for the help so far.