PDA

View Full Version : Shoes for bad knees

Pokey2006
08-02-2007, 01:16
I have a friend with bad knees who needs some help finding a good, lightweight shoe with plenty of padding to help ease his discomfort when he walks. He's not necessarily looking for shoes for hiking, but I know hikers and bad knees go hand-in-hand, so I'm hoping some of you folks may have some experience with this.

I've already gotten a lot of good suggestions for lightweight trailrunners from existing threads, but nothing specifically for someone with bad knees. Any ideas?

Heater
08-02-2007, 08:28
I have a friend with bad knees who needs some help finding a good, lightweight shoe with plenty of padding to help ease his discomfort when he walks. He's not necessarily looking for shoes for hiking, but I know hikers and bad knees go hand-in-hand, so I'm hoping some of you folks may have some experience with this.

I've already gotten a lot of good suggestions for lightweight trailrunners from existing threads, but nothing specifically for someone with bad knees. Any ideas?

Maybe go to a doctor and check out orthotics. They can straighten things up and help with knees, hip and lower back pain.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-02-2007, 09:03
I've had a lot of relief from using Superfeet insoles in whatever shoes I wear. It keeps the alignment of my foot correct so that my knee and hip don't have to compensate. Superfeet come in non-hiking models for normal footwear. If your friend tries this, be sure to warn him that you have to break in superfeet slowly. The instructions are on the tag that comes with Superffeet and also on their website.

Jim Adams
08-02-2007, 09:34
I had a knee problem on my 2004 thru hike and had 2 doctors, an orthopedic doctor, a physical therapist and an athletic trainer all treat me w/o a solution. I was carried to a pickup truck and hauled off the trail.
I got off of the trail for a few days to attempt to heal at a friends home in Knoxville, Tn. While there, he suggested that I go to his chiropractor in Knoxville. His name is Dr. Petty. He is a hiker and also the chiropractor for all running sports at the University of Tennessee. In less than 20 minutes he had diagnosed the problem, adjusted my foot, knee and hip and put a higher arch in one of my boots.
I never had another problem from there to Katahdin.
I don't know whether this advice will be useful or not but I have been a paramedic for over 30 years, I transport patients to the hospital everyday but I don't go to the doctors...I use a chiropractor.
Good luck.

geek

LovelyDay
08-02-2007, 10:31
8/2/2007
I blew my knee in TN three years ago. The pain was excruciating; I had all I could do to hobble down to Erwin. I recommend your friend see a good orthopedic doctor. That's what I did. No surgery. I wear the same clunky leather boots, but now with arch supports, and that's all it took to straighten out my knees. I section hike each year now, one month atta time without any trouble.

Mother's Finest
08-02-2007, 11:24
the real question is How do his feet support body weight? if they tend to collapse, then this person could benefit from an orthotic. when the arch collapses, the knee tends to rotate towards the midline of the body. this pushes the joint further to the edge of its range of motion. over time, this can contribute to all sorts of knee problems.

best of luck

as always, if your friend is considering an orthotic, find a competent cped www.cpeds.org (http://www.cpeds.org)

peace
mf

Footslogger
08-02-2007, 11:33
[quote=Mother's Finest;387179]the real question is How do his feet support body weight? if they tend to collapse, then this person could benefit from an orthotic. when the arch collapses, the knee tends to rotate towards the midline of the body. this pushes the joint further to the edge of its range of motion. over time, this can contribute to all sorts of knee problems.

==================================

Totally agree ...plus if the core problem is not addressed the adjustments in gait due to the inevitable knee rotation can and often do over time lead to hip and even spine problems.

'Slogger

The Solemates
08-02-2007, 11:56
Crocs or similar rubber soled shoes. My waldies and my Ecco's are the most comfortable shoes I own. both have thick rubber soles.

Pedalsndirt
08-02-2007, 11:59
I agree with the orthotic suggestion. I started using them and all my back/knee/shin problems lessened dramatically. Now I just have to get used to hiking regularly. =D

oldfivetango
08-02-2007, 21:00
Us old folks believe in orthodics.I got mine at footsmart.com for
around 20 bucks.They are great!Also,in my hiking boots I have the
kind they sell that you make your own personal mold of the foot.
Expensive,but you can tell the difference.:D
Oldfivetango

Pokey2006
08-04-2007, 08:00
Hey, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm gonna pass them along and hope for the best for my friend...

I knew I could count on y'all. As always, Whiteblazers are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks!