PDA

View Full Version : I would like to thank a fellow hiker

gold bond
08-02-2007, 10:31
I know that if he read this he wouldn't want any fuss made over him . I would like to thank Mr. JR "Model T" Tate for taking time out of his busy schedule and driving down to SC and talking with the boys in our lodge.

This weekend is our OA fall fellowship and Model T is coming to speak to our boys about the AT and hiking, hiking safety and hiking the AT. He has already done this a couple of times and the boys just love his stories. He never ceases to entertain them with his stories about life on the AT

Again thanks Model T!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-02-2007, 12:10
:::: Dino gives high five to Model T for service work ::::

Pacific Tortuga
08-02-2007, 12:25
Model T is the grand-pa most kids would love to have. I bet his bed time stories are the best. He would give Will Rogers a run for his money. ;)

gold bond
08-02-2007, 12:41
He actually took some of our lodge pins along with him on his last thru and is going to present them back to thre boys for their trophy case.

He is truly the Grand Pa! He spends all day with the boys talking and cutting up with them. Every year when the boys do there program planning they want to find out if he is available to come.

As well the adults look forward to hearing his "trail stories".

emerald
08-03-2007, 00:49
:::: Shades of Gray gives high five to gold bond for service work ::::

Rain Man
08-03-2007, 08:48
This weekend is our OA fall fellowship ....

OA? Why the secret codes?

Rain:sunMan

gold bond
08-03-2007, 09:14
OA? Why the secret codes?

Rain:sunMan

Sorry!

OA is a part of the Boy Scouts Called the Order of the Arrow. The boys in The Order Of The Arrow are voted in by the boys in there troop. The "OA" has two fellowships , or campouts, a year and we do service projects at the camp. We help clean it up, make repaires whatever needs to be done. The OA is organized around service and giving back to scouting. It is kind of the next step up from the troop level.

Our OA lodge has a Native American dance team as well as a Native American drum sing team.

Ender
08-03-2007, 09:33
Model T is a great guy. I met him back in '98 briefly. Really good hearted and genuine. Among the best of us.

gold bond
08-03-2007, 10:24
:::: Dino gives high five to Model T for service work ::::

He is going to teach the boys how to make soda can stoves. He is going to do a Q and A on hiking the AT and he is going to give a talk on gear selection and hiking safety. He will have those boys hiking in no time!

Kerosene
08-03-2007, 17:44
Model T took the time to send me a personal 'thank you' after I posted a review of his first book on Amazon. He's a class act.

slowroller
08-03-2007, 18:29
I met Model -T in Brentwood TN at the REI. Great guy,his book "Walkin on the happy side of misery" is one the best books I have read in a long time. You gotta love that southern humor.

gold bond
08-06-2007, 10:10
Just to let all of you know. Model T was amazing!

Saturday morning he did a 1.5 hour class on gear selection and packing your backpack.He had a amusing story I think for everything in there!
Saturday sfternoon he did a 1.5 hour class titled "Appalachian Memories". It was a powerpoint presentation which had pictures from all four of his thru hikes and a Q and A seesion.
Then saturday night he did a 1.5 hour class on making soda can stoves. He even brought alchahol so the boys could fire them off.We even had a class on snakes as a Copperhead decided to barge in to our class un expectably!
He took as much time with each boy as was needed and he made sure that every boy got some of his time during the two days he was there. Alot of those boys now have a new hero in their life! They as well have a new respect for hiking, backpacking and the AT.
Model T drove down from Tennesse and brought all his gear and whatever he thought the boys might enjoy without asking for a dime. I offered to give him gas money but he would not here of it.
The highlight of the weekend was when Model T presented to the boys a fox pin, the fox is our lodge mascot, that he had taken with him on the trail. He had had it mounted on an oak plack and a brass piece with the inscription on it that the pin had been the entire lentgh of the AT with the dates on it.
He is truely a classy guy and I am honored to know him.