PDA

View Full Version : How to find a campsite.

Doctari
10-22-2003, 12:24
Just a thought, many times I have heard stories about hikers being miserable because of: a full shelter, no campsites available, etc. And I too have done this a time or two. But after my last trip, I determined that is an unnecessary hardship to endure. So I now am constantly looking for a place to camp, almost from starting out in the AM to end of day. This also helps my enjoyment of the day because I am forced to pay attention to my surroundings. And it geves my much needed practice at "reading the lay of the land" which is why I do it all day.
What to look for: Saddles (gaps, sow spots in the ridge, etc.) the trail passes nearby. Game trails toward what seems to be level ground, these will oft times be very faint but I followed one to the best camp I have ever used just south of Erwin. If you have been paying attention to the “lay of the land” you can sometimes predict when a level spot will appear. Naturally, having a smallish tent or tarp helps. And the ability to have a dry camp. The 3 I used last year were left as pristine as I could manage, I even fluffed the leaves I slept on.
Were are these great campsites I used? Sorry, not telling :-) but use these tips & you may find them. Or not.
:p :D

attroll
10-22-2003, 13:00
If you were a hammock camper you would never have to worry about this problem.

tlbj6142
10-22-2003, 13:03
If you use a hammock, great spots are even easier to find.:D

DebW
10-22-2003, 14:08
Originally posted by attroll
If you were a hammock camper you would never have to worry about this problem.

I started hammock camping about a year ago, and while hammock sites may be more abundant than tent sites, I don't agree with the "never have to worry" statement. Sometimes the underbrush is too dense and 3-4 feet high, so unless I can develop a technique for leaping into my hammock, it's not going to work. Sometimes the trees are too dense - I could hang the hammock, but I couldn't spread the tarp over it.
In northern Vermont above 2500 ft, camping is not allowed except at shelters, and the obvious reason was that it would have been almost impossible, even with a hammock. The undergrowth in the forest was too dense. Below 2500 ft the forest was usually open enough to permit camping, but often the trail stayed in the above 2500 ft. region for more than a day at a time. Above 3500 feet the trees are too short and have very shallow roots. Above 4500 ft there are no trees.

Spirit Walker
10-22-2003, 15:33
Our usual practice is to hike until 4 or 5:00 and then start looking for a place to camp. If it takes an hour or two, well we have time before dark to find something reasonable. It usually isn't that hard in the east. The PCT was a problem because of the endless sidehill, but even then, we always found something eventually. We pick up water to carry if it is scarce, or cook dinner early, but that's usually not a big problem on the AT. One hint - pine and hemlock groves make for soft sleeping and little or no undergrowth.

smokymtnsteve
10-22-2003, 17:38
Call KOA...they accept reservations...:D

Two Speed
10-22-2003, 18:00
For what it's worth, I would advise against camping under Eastern Pines. The ground cover they provide is plenty soft enough, but they seem to drop a lot of sap, which shows up as sticky brown spots all over any gear that gets in contact with the ground. I've had one heck of a time getting that crap off of the bottom of a tent after a night under Eastern Pines. Sleeping was nice and comfy, and didn't reallty object to the spots themselves, but I was concerned that dirt would adhere, making mildew and delamination of the waterproof coating on the tent floor a distinct possibility. My experience is limited to the southeast, so I am curious if anyone has had similar problems with Eastern Pines further north.

I can't say that I remember a similar problem with any of the other pine species that I am able to identify. Hemlocks haven't been a problem either, to the best of my recollection, so I would second the vote for camping under hemlocks (or any other pine but Eastern).

I have found mountain laurel puts down a great bed of leaves and really cuts the wind off. If I can find an open 4' x 9' slot for my dinky little tent in the laurel thickets late on a day that looks like turning into a coldy windy night, I am home for the night!

A-Train
10-22-2003, 19:56
this site is really pro hammock huh? :)

brian
10-22-2003, 22:03
A-Train... this site is VERY pro hammock, and im one of them;).

For hammocking, I find that paper birches and maples are the best hammocking trees. If i can find a relativly young oak, that would be just fine too.

At night, I usually plan my ending of the day somewhere remotley near water, to make cooking and the mornings easier.

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

SGT Rock
10-23-2003, 08:53
I have been pro-hammock for a long time, nice to see people are coming around!

tlbj6142
10-23-2003, 11:17
Am I going to be SOL? Nope. Might have a few issues way up north. But, by then you'll be an expert Hammock user so you'll be able to find a good site without too much issue.

Doesn't DebW live in the NE? She hammocks. Ask her.

DebW
10-23-2003, 12:32
Originally posted by tlbj6142
Nope. Might have a few issues way up north. But, by then you'll be an expert Hammock user so you'll be able to find a good site without too much issue.

Doesn't DebW live in the NE? She hammocks. Ask her.

What does SOL mean?

See my earlier post. Hammocking usually works, but depends mostly on the elevation you are at and the character of the forest. If you can plan your nights below ~3000 feet you will usually be OK. Sometimes you could manage to hammock up to 3500 ft. Note that if the trees are less than 8 feet tall in the White Mountains, you are technically (according to the Forest Service) above treeline and camping is not allowed except in winter.

smokymtnsteve
10-23-2003, 12:35
starts with an S
and ends with a T
comes outa you
and it comes outa of me..

that's the S...the OL is out of Luck

Shadow Walking
10-23-2003, 13:19
I've been debating between Hammock and Tent/Tarp for awhile. If there are no suitable hammock locations then there won't be any for Tent/Tarp either. Is this a true statement? I have seen where people have set up a hammock as a bivy with sticks/poles so figure you could do that if trees are not around.

Pedestrian
10-23-2003, 13:27
Originally posted by smokymtnsteve
starts with an S
and ends with a T
comes outa you
and it comes outa of me..

that's the S...the OL is out of Luck

Scat?!?!

Pedestrian
10-23-2003, 13:31
It starts with S
and ends with T.
It comes out of you
and comes out of me.
Now I know what you're thinking,
you could call it that
but let's be scientific
and call it SCAT.:)
:banana :banana :banana

smokymtnsteve
10-23-2003, 14:01
well your walking down the trail
and your nose goes ..OOHH
must be some critters SCAT near you
now don't gross out ,cause it's ok
they ain't gotta place to Flush it away....

It starts with an S ..
and ends with a T...

smokymtnsteve
10-23-2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Pedestrian
Scat?!?!

I knew what she was thinking ,,,
and if you called it that .
.then SOL...
would make it that!:D

Pedestrian
10-23-2003, 14:20
:) Now this is fun! Much better than guns and bears and dogs.

Oh my!

:)

DebW
10-23-2003, 16:27
Originally posted by Shadow Walking
I've been debating between Hammock and Tent/Tarp for awhile. If there are no suitable hammock locations then there won't be any for Tent/Tarp either. Is this a true statement? I have seen where people have set up a hammock as a bivy with sticks/poles so figure you could do that if trees are not around.

On the AT, there are always shelters, and you know where they are so can plan to stay there. There are almost always tent sites near the shelters. Hammocking would usually be possible there as well, but campsite developers don't necessarily plan for hammockers. And yes, hammockers can easily become tarpers when necessary (an 8x10 tarp is more accommodating than the small Hennessey fly). So don't worry and pick the shelter you are most comfortable with. But pay attention to terrain and elevation when planning where to end up at night. Aiming for shelters always works, though you don't have to sleep in them.

Crash
10-23-2003, 19:53
if you cant hang your hammock, or pitch your tarp from the hammock, you can always just put your Hennessey Hammock on the ground with its tarp and use it as a bivy

Doctari
10-24-2003, 01:33
I'm neither for nor against hammocks. Havn't used one YET :-)

But I must dissagree with "Never have a problem" even on the AT. There have been many times when from my POV the trees are way too close together for a hammock.
I still think my method is good for either tent or hammock or tarp camping. I will admit that for the most part, I now search for a tent site without really thinking bout it, and I figured most of the "Old timers" would have their own methods, and have added their own tips and hints as I expected. I wasnt expecting quite this response..

Footslogger
10-24-2003, 15:43
It's always been my experience that if you hike just a bit beyond a shelter there is generally a decent place to pitch a tent or hang a hammock. Just grab your water near the shelter and then hike on several hundred yards or so. Most likely you'll find a spot.