PDA

View Full Version : Easy going segments in NH

Tobit
08-02-2007, 21:30
I have a strong desire to get back out there but I haven't been on the trail since I was 19 and I'm now 35. :rolleyes: I'm a bit out of shape and could loose a few pounds. I'm currently taking some walks around town to help get back in shape but it's boring as heck. I will probably never be a thru-hiker but I do want to become a strong state-by-state segment hiker.

What would be some fairly easy going overnight or two to three day hikes in NH that I could use as "training grounds" for building up my legs, feet, and cardio? They don't have to be super easy, I still have a good head on my shoulders (I know to avoid the presedentials in my current condition :o), but I will be solo and would prefer routes that were easily marked and completable. I'd prefer routes that are actually on the AT but they don't have to be. My last solo effort was up to the top of Mt. Garfield.

Thanks

- Tobias

Frosty
08-02-2007, 21:57
Just stay south of Route 25 (Glencliff) if you want the easier parts of the NH AT for a backpack.

rickb
08-03-2007, 07:13
I might suggest some of the trails in the Sandwich Range Wilderness. Since they are on the southern side of the Whites, you will spend less time inthe car and more in the woods.

A short but neat overnight would be a loop over Black Mountain, and night at Black Mountain Pond. If you want a flat trail (one of just a couple in the Whites) you could hike down the Guinea Pond Trail to Flat Mountain Pond. Probably 10 or so miles each way-- but flat!

You have a gazillion choices!

superman
08-03-2007, 07:49
All good information already. Here's a site to check out with some easier stuff closer to you. http://www.nhoutdoors.com/hiking_trails.htm#Merrimack%20Valley10

There a trail that starts in central MA and goes up through NH. I can't remember the name of it right now. It's close to you and would give you some good weekends. Enjoy.

Frosty
08-03-2007, 07:59
If you want a nice backpack not on the AT, consider the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway. about 50 miles (four days) between Mt Monadnock and Mt Sunapee, terrain not too bad, gives a nice point-to-point hike with a feeling of completion, and even has a general store/grill about halfway (washington, NH) for an AT-like town meal/resupply experience. (Also a Mr. Mike's 2 miles east on Rte 9).

http://www.msgtc.org/

Tobit
08-03-2007, 08:37
Thanks guys. The MSGTC looks like a nice lil micro-AT, I will definitely have to check it out.

- T

sixhusbands
08-03-2007, 08:57
Try the Wilderness trail area. It is a flat hike into the Franconia falls area and on into the Nancy Pond area. There is plenty to do and see plus you will have a great time swimming at the falls. Or try the Great Gulf trail into the junction near the Wamsutta , Six Husbands and the Buttress trails. Again very easy grade and plenty to see plus swimming.
On either of these trips, if you get the urge you could climb up a 4000 footer. The climb up to Boncliff is well worth the effort.

Tobit
08-03-2007, 09:06
I am also going to help out the local AMC chapter with trail maintenance. Their next project is in 2 weeks on Pawtuckaway's North Mountail trail. Little bit of hiking and work to get some great excercise.

- T

peakbagger
08-04-2007, 21:46
You may want to check out viewsfromthetop.com, it is a new england hiking board, with a lot of focus on the whites.

Tobit
08-05-2007, 20:21
You may want to check out viewsfromthetop.com, it is a new england hiking board, with a lot of focus on the whites.
Thanks, it looks like a nice board. Too bad they are not allowing new members however. Bummer.

- T

Roland
08-05-2007, 20:30
Thanks, it looks like a nice board. Too bad they are not allowing new members however. Bummer.

- T

Well, that's not completely true. Darren did place restrictions on membership, but it is still possible to join the forum by being sponsored by existing members.

You can read about it here. (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10451)

Tobit
08-05-2007, 20:39
Well, that's not completely true. Darren did place restrictions on membership, but it is still possible to join the forum by being sponsored by existing members.
True. However, I am not "elite" enough in the hiking community to know anyone who could sponsor me. :rolleyes: However, there is some good information in the forums that can be utilized by a lurker like me.

- T

Roland
08-05-2007, 20:42
True. However, I am not "elite" enough in the hiking community to know anyone who could sponsor me. :rolleyes: However, there is some good information in the forums that can be utilized by a lurker like me.

- T

Did you follow the link I posted?

VFTT has hiker events every weekend. All you have to do is show-up for a hike, and by the end of the day, you will have several sponsors.

Tobit
08-10-2007, 21:35
VFTT has hiker events every weekend. All you have to do is show-up for a hike, and by the end of the day, you will have several sponsors.
Well, most of the upcoming hikes don't seem to be too organized as they say "If you’re interested in this hike please respond to this thread or by PM and we’ll work out the details." so it is kind of hard to join the hike when you aren't a member.

I can't go to the gathering this weekend because I am already comitted to doing trail maintenance.

Pedaling Fool
08-10-2007, 21:53
I think your only option, considering what you're looking for, would be one of the many side trails, especially around the Whites. I don't remember many sections of N.H. where I wasn't rock-scrambling or at least rock hopping. And when I wasn't dealing with the rocks, it was the roots or the mud.

I've heard many of the side trails are really nice and - believe it or not - many don't have near the number of rocks, roots and mud.

I don't believe it, but that's what I've heard - worth checking out, since you live in the area.

Tobit
08-10-2007, 21:57
I've heard many of the side trails are really nice and - believe it or not - many don't have near the number of rocks, roots and mud. I don't believe it, but that's what I've heard - worth checking out, since you live in the area.
Yeah, I now have a whole list of non-AT trails in NH I need to check out.