PDA

View Full Version : Wolf-2300 Commandments

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 17:01
Wolf’s Commandments

Thy shall not bitch about ones pack weight. If one is to complain his/her pack weight is too heavy then thy is a fool for packing it so heavy.
Thy shall not ask what others are carrying. If one needs to ask what others are carrying then thy is a fool for being out there without knowing.
Thy shall not stay in towns. Thru-hikers belong to the wilderness not civilization.
Thy shall not travel with a cell phone. Cell phone are the devil work - an evil device that belong at home, far, far, far away from a nature trail.
If one should slack pack then thy is a slack packing weenie. It is called backpacking to be done with a backpack.
If one should call themselves a hike, one must be will to hike. Walking for only a mere 8 hours a day is hardly justification for calling one self a hiker. There is still 16 hours that were wasted not hiking.
One shall hike with the moon light. More time hiking less time camping.
Thy shall not complain about a booboo. Face it no one cares if you fell down, got a blister, have your skin falling off, etc. Suck it up and move out.
If ones spouse/partner does not understand why one must hike then thy spouse/partner shall be no more. Hiking is far more important then a spouse/partner could every be.
Thy shall not talk about doing the trail, thy shall just shut up and do it!!! If one is to say he or she is going to hike the Appalachian Trail then thy must be willing to walk it. Talk is cheap, hiking is for real.

TinAbbey
07-29-2007, 17:40
why don't you throw in though shall hike in an astronaut suit

emerald
07-29-2007, 18:17
If one should slack pack then thy is a slack packing weenie. It is called backpacking to be done with a backpack.

I thought what WhiteBlazers do is called hiking and what one chooses to carry is no one else's business. See commandment #2.:rolleyes:

I've never heard of thru-packing or a thru-packer. Sounds goofy to me.:D

Kerby
07-29-2007, 18:45
Wolf’s Commandments

Thy shall not bitch about ones pack weight. If one is to complain his/her pack weight is too heavy then thy is a fool for packing it so heavy.
Thy shall not ask what others are carrying. If one needs to ask what others are carrying then thy is a fool for being out there without knowing.
Thy shall not stay in towns. Thru-hikers belong to the wilderness not civilization.
Thy shall not travel with a cell phone. Cell phone are the devil work - an evil device that belong at home, far, far, far away from a nature trail.
If one should call themselves a hike, one must be will to hike. Walking for only a mere 8 hours a day is hardly justification for calling one self a hiker. There is still 16 hours that were wasted not hiking.
Thy shall not complain about a booboo. Face it no one cares if you fell down, got a blister, have your skin falling off, etc. Suck it up and move out.
If ones spouse/partner does not understand why one must hike then thy spouse/partner shall be no more. Hiking is far more important then a spouse/partner could every be.
Thy shall not talk about doing the trail, thy shall just shut up and do it!!! If one is to say he or she is going to hike the Appalachian Trail then thy must be willing to walk it. Talk is cheap, hiking is for real.

Rules to live by, to be sure!

ps, What is in your pack anyway, mine feels to heavy.

(Ouch, I think I skinned my knee, wonta see it?)

Brrrb Oregon
07-29-2007, 18:48
Wow. And people accuse God of being a control freak!

There is nothing to lighten the pack like unloading your expectations of what other people should be doing.

How's this, from Thomas Merton. It's about contemplatives, but it could be applied to anyone who wants to travel the world in peace....and yes, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to forgetting it and ignoring it :rolleyes: . Suffice it to say, though, that his experience of a few dozen monks coming from totally different walks of life trying to pursue holiness side by side and year after year was that it was hard enough WITH a vow of silence. He thought it would be well nigh impossible without it:

"One of the first things to learn if you want to be a contemplative is how to mind your own business.

"Nothing is more suspicious, in a man who seems holy, than an impatient desire to reform other men.

"A serious obstacle to recollection is the mania for directing those you have not been appointed to direct, reforming those you have not been asked to reform, correcting those over whom you have no jurisdiction. How can you do these things and keep your mind at rest? Renounce this futile concern with other men's affairs!

"Pay as little attention as you can to the faults of other people and none at all to their natural defects and eccentricities."

IMHO, one does everyone a favor, OP, if one hikes one's own hike, and only one's own hike.

Just a thought, in case it helps. If not, well, at least with electronic media, you don't even have to find a trash can to feel free to pitch it aside. I hope your hike is always a good one.

Cookerhiker
07-29-2007, 18:51
So do these commandments have the full force and effect of law, and what are the consequences for failure to comply?

Brrrb Oregon
07-29-2007, 18:53
So do these commandments have the full force and effect of law, and what are the consequences for failure to comply?

Someone's eyes burn holes through you, which is only a problem if you're not too thick to notice....so I think I'm OK. :D

emerald
07-29-2007, 19:39
There is nothing to lighten the pack like unloading your expectations of what other people should be doing.

:-? So that's Wolf's secret to reducing pack weight!

Seems he still might cut some weight, but HYOH and all that stuff.:D

wilconow
07-29-2007, 20:31
I think a nice commandment of White Blaze would be you shouldn't be allowed to change the default font. cursive, pink, purple, etc makes for poor readability.

woodsy
07-29-2007, 21:08
If one should call themselves a hiker, one must be will to hike. Walking for only a mere 8 hours a day is hardly justification for calling one self a hiker. There is still 16 hours that were wasted not hiking.
Where can I sign up for this kind of Hiking?:cool:
I might, just might, have to tighten my belt a notch:D
I can get along without a cell phone though!

emerald
07-29-2007, 22:11
Walking for only a mere 8 hours a day is hardly justification for calling one self a hiker. There is still 16 hours that were wasted not hiking.

I agree.:) To be called a hiker, one should HYOH at least 1/2 of every day (12 hours). To hike less is to spend one's day doing mostly something else.

There comes a point not easily recognized by newbies when one begins to flirt with slackpacking.;) Going down that path has corrupted many an unwary hiker.:D

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 22:22
I thought what WhiteBlazers do is called hiking and what one chooses to carry is no one else's business. See commandment #2.:rolleyes:

No, no, no … you are truly misguided. Most Whiteblazers simple talk about hiking; they talk the walk rather than walking the walk. Many ask truly goofy questions about non-important subjects posting up gear list, hostels information, or questions on gear. Most would rather read about others opinion or adventures rather than develop one of their own.

Commandment two states “Thy shall not ask what others are carrying.” What is hidden from prying eyes is for none to see. A hiker who choices not to carry the full weight of his or her pack is truly a weenie. Thy have freely expose themselves to the world; they are weak, unable and unwilling to carry the weight of their pack, a true weenie.

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 22:35
Where can I sign up for this kind of Hiking?:cool:
I might, just might, have to tighten my belt a notch:D
I can get along without a cell phone though!

Funny you should ask. I am in the process along with several other hard charging Drill SGT of toughing up former civilians into hard core hiking machines. You are always welcome to join them.

Go Army!!!

www.army.mil (http://www.army.mil)

Wolf

emerald
07-29-2007, 22:38
Let me see if I understand now the implications of Commandment #2. It's quite proper to observe what another hiker is not carrying and comment upon it, but it's a sin to ask if most of the contents of another hiker's pack are back at the hostel today?;)

Do I have that straight now?:D

notorius tic
07-29-2007, 22:50
I think that you are not only sending a stupid but foollish message to any that walks on this planet. With the intention of enjoying ones self. I hiked from GA to PA . Am I any less worthy than thou ? your words ? a person that enjoys the outdoors. OHh and by the way i am going to ME an going SOUTH to catch up with friends. So why dont you start to encourage an stop your stiifling BS. AND get of your ass hit the trail?///////////////////////////////// And tell some one you love them today<:

Brrrb Oregon
07-29-2007, 22:54
No, no, no … you are truly misguided. Most Whiteblazers simple talk about hiking; they talk the walk rather than walking the walk. Many ask truly goofy questions about non-important subjects posting up gear list, hostels information, or questions on gear. Most would rather read about others opinion or adventures rather than develop one of their own.

Commandment two states “Thy shall not ask what others are carrying.” What is hidden from prying eyes is for none to see. A hiker who choices not to carry the full weight of his or her pack is truly a weenie. Thy have freely expose themselves to the world; they are weak, unable and unwilling to carry the weight of their pack, a true weenie.

Wolf

Oh, I don't know. Stood next to "love your enemies" it seems pretty easy to me. ;) :D

Try to become a saint. Then we'll see who's the weenie....and who carries what weight. Admitting that you're weak is a whole lot tougher than pretending that you're strong. :p

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 22:56
[quote=Brrrb Oregon;385506]Wow. And people accuse God of being a control freak!

How's this, from Thomas Merton. It's about contemplatives, but it could be applied to anyone who wants to travel the world in peace....and yes, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to forgetting it and ignoring it . Suffice it to say, though, that his experience of a few dozen monks coming from totally different walks of life trying to pursue holiness side by side and year after year was that it was hard enough WITH a vow of silence. He thought it would be well nigh impossible without it:

"One of the first things to learn if you want to be a contemplative is how to mind your own business.

If one shall flaunt thy imperfect, then others shall judge.

"Nothing is more suspicious, in a man who seems holy, than an impatient desire to reform other men.

It is our duty to weed out the evils nature that has corrupted the minds of others. The wickless must be punished for their sins.

"A serious obstacle to recollection is the mania for directing those you have not been appointed to direct, reforming those you have not been asked to reform, correcting those over whom you have no jurisdiction. How can you do these things and keep your mind at rest? Renounce this futile concern with other men's affairs!

We all have be appointed, guardians against the evil that delve within others. One will always have free choice, but it is up to all of us to guide those that would lower their standards into becoming a backpacking weenie. To say no to the easy path so they may enjoy the full rightness.

"Pay as little attention as you can to the faults of other people and none at all to their natural defects and eccentricities."

By ignoring the actions of others, by not speak up, by not showing others the evil in their ways … you are approving their actions. I ask you to turn away. Surely you can agree, there is a better way then to hike with a bunch of weenies.

Wolf

notorius tic
07-29-2007, 23:01
You have it all correct. MIND YOUR OWN BUISSNESS AND LET OTHERS INTO YOURS. ITS A SIMPLE SOLUTION TO A VERY OLD ANSWER. JUST SIT AND LISTEN YOU LEARN MORE EVEN IF IT IS ****. BRING TO THE TABLE NOT ONLY WHAT YOU PLAN TO EAT BUT BRING EXTRA CAUSE THERE MOUTHS ARE NEVER FOOL:

Just Jeff
07-29-2007, 23:03

...says the almighty about the trail, from the comfort of his armchair...

I hike. And sometimes I'm curious about others' gear. I don't "need" to know, b/c I'm comfortable with what I have. But sometimes I'm not so dense as to think that I can't learn something new...so I ask, if the situation is appropriate. If I get a short answer, I don't press it...but that's never happened to me b/c most hikers aren't ********.

emerald
07-29-2007, 23:11
What you said.

Oregon, sometimes it's to be taken as a sign that a red-eyed loon has set down on WhiteBlaze pond when the font seems to call for Visine®.;)

Hope you have a good week.:) I need my rest. Tomorrow morning, I have something much more important and interesting to do on the A.T.:sun

notorius tic
07-29-2007, 23:13
YOUR WEIGHT AS I SEE IT A KEYBOARD PUNCHING FOOL. IT does does matter what carry or how you carry it? I dont care if you drag it the point is you misguide on those comms.......sry anybody outside trying.. I HIKED with BAGGINS and LONERBONER. 2 diffent peas in POD but both had great res[ect for the EARTH fuk the trail we got a hole planet going sht. and boner carried a miserable 75lbs . Baggins could not even get up she had 35lbs at 4 ft 5 but neiether one ever complained nor did they say anything about 11111111110000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000 coomandandts KISS jeses

Frosty
07-29-2007, 23:14
It is our duty to weed out the evils nature that has corrupted the minds of others. I don't have time to weed out the evil in others. It isn't that I don't want to weed out evil and punish evil doers. It do. Really. It's just that after hiking all day, I have enough just trouble finding a suitable tent site, what with rocks, roots, bushes just where I don't want them, widow-makers above, depressions below that might fill with water, and of course level enough that I don't slide off Big Agnes.

I would have more time to weed out the evil in others if I slackpacked, but Of course that isn't an option. I just don't see how I can help. Sorry.

Brrrb Oregon
07-29-2007, 23:22
[quote=Brrrb Oregon;385506]Wow. And people accuse God of being a control freak!

How's this, from Thomas Merton. It's about contemplatives, but it could be applied to anyone who wants to travel the world in peace....and yes, I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to forgetting it and ignoring it . Suffice it to say, though, that his experience of a few dozen monks coming from totally different walks of life trying to pursue holiness side by side and year after year was that it was hard enough WITH a vow of silence. He thought it would be well nigh impossible without it:

If one shall flaunt thy imperfect, then others shall judge.

It is our duty to weed out the evils nature that has corrupted the minds of others. The wickless must be punished for their sins.

We all have be appointed, guardians against the evil that delve within others. One will always have free choice, but it is up to all of us to guide those that would lower their standards into becoming a backpacking weenie. To say no to the easy path so they may enjoy the full rightness.

By ignoring the actions of others, by not speak up, by not showing others the evil in their ways … you are approving their actions. I ask you to turn away. Surely you can agree, there is a better way then to hike with a bunch of weenies.

Wolf

Hey, buddy, let's get one thing straight right off the bat: when it comes to hiking, I am at present a weenie, even by my own lights, and at 44 years old with two little kids in the house, that is not likely to change soon. If hubby decided to take off and do the PCT, I'd be OK with that, but I have other fish to fry.

I am, quite frankly, thankful that there are real hikers who will give me the time of day when it comes to wheels I would rather not re-invent myself. I only have so many trips around the sun left in these knees.

I'm imperfect. I always will be. The extent to which that applies to my hiking is by far the least of my worries. I should let you be, but I am a mother, so of course I won't. I will cluck on your behalf; that is one of my imperfections.

My concern is that your worry about those you cannot and will never change is going to have an adverse impact on your cardiac health. As the I Ching says somewhere, the master should let the fool come to him, and not the other way around. If you are the hiker I take you to be, they will come to you, or at least they will be watching you. Live what you preach, and you will have more converts than you'll be able to count. As you have said yourself, it is the hiking that is for real.

To those who ask, tell. Or just look at them and keep hiking, figuring that the ones with the sense to learn will just follow. Let the rest get the hike they have chosen. That way, you'll get the hike you deserve.

You seem like an OK guy. Peace, and no stumblings on your trail.

slowroller
07-29-2007, 23:49
Thy shall not ask what others are carrying. If one needs to ask what others are carrying then thy is a fool for being out there without knowing

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24895 Hmmm:-?

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 23:54
Let me see if I understand now the implications of Commandment #2. It's quite proper to observe what another hiker is not carrying and comment upon it, but it's a sin to ask if most of the contents of another hiker's pack are back at the hostel today?;)

Do I have that straight now?:D

You don't need to ask them what they are carrying, you can simple ask them are they a slackpacking weenie instead.

Peace,

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
07-29-2007, 23:59
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24895 Hmmm:-?

Slowroller,

I neither bitched about the weight of my backpack or asked others what they were carrying.

Wolf

Heater
07-30-2007, 00:05
The wickless must be punished for their sins.

Oh, the irony... :rolleyes:

:D:D

Yahtzee
07-30-2007, 00:21
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Eliminates the need for the 10 commandments.

Hike your own hike. Eliminates the need for your silly rules.

emerald
07-30-2007, 00:28
You don't need to ask them what they are carrying, you can simple ask them are they a slackpacking weenie instead.

Peace,

Wolf

You know, I think I've got it! I thought for a moment slackpacking weenie might be a redundancy, but I see now my error and how your term solves a problem too.

I know a slackpacker is thru-packer who carries a heavy pack and hikes less than 12 hours. A slackpacking weenie must be a thru-packer who carries a pack lighter than Wolf - 23000's and hikes less than 1/2 day too!

I'm glad you cleared that up for me. Now I'm really going to bed this time. Tomorrow, I'm going day-hiking.;)

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 01:28
Oregon, sometimes it's to be taken as a sign that a red-eyed loon has set down on WhiteBlaze pond when the font seems to call for Visine®.;)

Hope you have a good week.:) I need my rest. Tomorrow morning, I have something much more important and interesting to do on the A.T.:sun
Yes, you'd think someone my age would know better by now.
Lucky you! Hope your rest was good & your hike is great!

Two Speed
07-30-2007, 06:34
Oh, the irony... :rolleyes:

:D:DYeah, I've been catching that too. Makes me wonder if Wolf does that for amusement or really is that lousy on the keyboard.

Brrb, this thread is Wolf's COMMANDMENTS so the rest of us can abide by them or be among the "evil" as we choose. The original post wasn't directed at any single individual, and Wolf can be a hoot.

Really, sit back and think about it for a minute: how much would you have given to have seen that infamous encounter between MS and Wolf? I know I'd have given a centavo or two to watch that. FWIW I think I'd have been cheering for Wolf, but seeing as I missed that pivotal episode in AT history I'll never be sure.

Wolf, my spelling impaired friend, keep on posting. Aside from being amused I do pick up a tip or two from you every now and again, and I promise not to ask what's in your pack. ;)

woodsy
07-30-2007, 06:57
Funny you should ask. I am in the process along with several other hard charging Drill SGT of toughing up former civilians into hard core hiking machines. You are always welcome to join them.

Go Army!!!

www.army.mil (http://www.army.mil)

Wolf

Well I wasn't going to say it but seeing you mentioned it:
When I read the commandments I thought I was getting off the bus at Army boot camp all over again:eek: Except I see you omitted the dry shaving adventure:rolleyes:

rickb
07-30-2007, 06:58
Glad someone felt fit to fill the void left when L. Wolf left us for a bit.

hurryinghoosier
07-30-2007, 09:03
You folks need to get a life!

oldbear
07-30-2007, 09:30
"We all must learn sometime " JT Kirk

CoyoteWhips
07-30-2007, 10:03
Apparently nap time precludes me from the title of hiker.

Well, I'm ok with that. I am a wilderness napper.

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 10:09
What a snooty backpacker!! It is thru hiking; not thru packing. The lighter my pack gets, the more I enjoy the hike. Personally, I think that I am getting smarter. Yes, I will slackpack any chance I get. Yesterday, I came down Lehigh Gap in the rain. I didn't even carry my slackpack. I carried raingear and gloves. I also ran in hiking boots across the ridge about 3 miles to attempt to outrun the thunder storm and rain. Yes, I am a weanie. I will carry the goods where I need to carry the goods, and that includes water, but I will say that I have slackpacked thru PA. It is hard to rationalize the weight and discomfort when there is a road every 8 miles. In all fairness, I am every bit as proud of my accomplishment as you are with yours. I will make the entire trail, but in my time frame and my method. I could say shelters and poles are for weanies, but I won't. You have no regard for my trail experiences.

StarLyte
07-30-2007, 10:50
Glad someone felt fit to fill the void left when L. Wolf left us for a bit.

Wolf is from the old school where sensible, planned backpacking was taught and your reward was your wilderness experience.

Modify that in any way and you just have a hike.

SawnieRobertson
07-30-2007, 11:01
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Eliminates the need for the 10 commandments.

Hike your own hike. Eliminates the need for your silly rules.

I like this. Pure genius. Wouldn't life be wonderful if all the people in the world, even the world leaders, were able to live this way. But here we are, unable, even if we are the likes of our own dear Wolf, to implement it.--Kinnickinic:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gold bond
07-30-2007, 11:52
I actually brought this up in another thread, got blasted for it but I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. We have become a society of instant gradification. I blame Walmart for that! We want it when we want it no matter what it takes to get it. We have become lazy and over confident and I humbly believe that it is starting to show up in our hiking community now.

I feel that "slackpacking" or having a car meet you every 8 miles so you can get what you may need and resupplied isn't right. The only reason there is a road every 8 miles is because of people thinking up ways to get out of carrying their "full" packs! Whatever happened to carrying "what you need" to get the task completed? Hiking isn't a task and I hope it never becomes one but if it is what you have planned to do then at that moment in time it is your task.

To me...and this is my humble opinion...it's cheating. I feel the same way about hikers spending 2-3 nights a week in town, eating at resteraunts, and partying and staying in motels every other night. I do feel you need to come off the trail every now and then to rest your body and mind but it has gotten way out of hand. If you have that kind of energy either hike on further or help the local ATC do some trail maint.

I do not agree with flip flopping either...pick a direction...plan enough time to do it...and go! If you have to flip flop and it isn't due to a medical situation...well you spent way to much time in town trying to lighten your load and line up your slack pack rides!

I am a section hiker. I in all likelyhood always will be.
I probably will never be blessed with the oppotunity to do a "true" thru hike. I have always and will always envy the people blessed with the oppurtunity to be able to give it a try.You can bet on one thing...I started at the approach trail at Springer and I will finish at Kahtadin! No blue blazing, no slackpacking, and no flip flopping. I will stay north untill it ends.I will carry what I need for the duration of that section. I actually did from Sam's Gap to Bald Mnt shelter and back as a warm up hike for Philmont. When I get to that section again in my hike I will do it all over again. When I came back south it erased my steps!

Hopefully one day I will get to thru and I will stick with whatever plan I decide to do. If I don't finish....I'll start all over gain, from the beginning at the approach trail, when I can and hopefully will learn from my first mistakes. In reading the trail journals from hikers this year I bet you can count on one hand how many stayed "true" to the trail. I can not tell you what "true" is....but when you finish you will know deep down inside what the answer to that is.

Tha Wookie
07-30-2007, 12:05
I think I jut lost 80 million brain cells wading through this thread.

Footslogger
07-30-2007, 12:13

============================

Thanks for the heads-up Wook ...not sure I have that many to spare.

'Slogger

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 12:18
How many of you bought hamburgers at the waysides in SNP? I can say that I carried all my food the entire 100 miles and then some. Actually, the waysides weren't even there when I went through; neither were the showers. So, don't tell me that I am any less of a bacpacker than you because I choose to slackpack through the "wilderness" of PA. I'm a women, mostly hiking alone. I prefer to be in the 40+ mile stretches, but that cannot be found in PA. I don't hike shelter to shelter, but sunrise to sunset. It is a preference, not right or wrong.

Oh yes, and I shared my good fortune with those coming through the gaps with me. They were grateful to get water and to unload trash. I don't believe they cheated by accepting water.

What exactly is the definition of a full pack? I once carried 80 lbs, but now learn to live with 30 when not slackpacking. Is that cheating??

you blame Walmart ??

Hike your hike, and let others hike theirs.

Mags
07-30-2007, 12:18
I walked the trail uphill, both ways and in the snow...

gold bond
07-30-2007, 12:49
We have a saying here where I live..." hit dog hollars". Modiyooch you just rang my ears! My intentions are not to belittle anyone or make anyone feel bad or hurt their feelings, this is just my opinion. You know an opinion is like a nose...everyones got one right? So don't in a huff just yet.

A full pack is more than just food and water...come on...you know this one. As far as thirty pound pack that is great. Mine is still a little more weight on a 4-5 day but if that is everything you need for that section then that is a "full pack"....I guess! Also If you carried all your food for a hundred miles you weren't eating. Your pack weight as far as food should go down as you go along! You say it's not 30 "when your not slackpacking", see you know what I'm talking about! If it's not cheating why is there a differance betwwen the two and why would you do one and not the other?

As far as sharing your good fortune that is great..we all look out for each other, nothing wrong with that. I ran into people short on water and halved whatever I had with them. If I'm on my way out I'll take peoples trash..thats just good hiking! If we don't look out for each other than who will....we are a family right?

As far as being a women hiking alone...I had my butt handed to me by a female hiker on one stretch! She was hiking alone and I bet here pack weighed alot more than mine. She was in a groove and was awesome! I'm blessed for having gotten to know her she had some great trail stories and Idea's.

My Walmart thing is years ago when Walmart first came to be 'ol Sam Walton said we will be open twenty four hours a day...we will have groceries and car stuff and.... well it went on and on. Eventually every staore had do do it or possibly face going out of business. This philosphy has poured over into most every type of public type of business because that is what the public has come to expect. THIS IS WHY I HAVE ALOT LESS TIME TO HIKE!!! Being in the heating and A/C idustry if someone's t'stat is set for 70 deg and it's 72 deg I have to go out no matter what time of the day or night it is. Sooo..it's just easier to blame Walmart!!

And pleeeaaasseee....hike your own hike. If that was the case you or I wouldn't subscribe to WB to get other peoples opinion on how to hike! I would rather just say..."happy trails"

emerald
07-30-2007, 14:09
Yes, you'd think someone my age would know better by now.

Lucky you! Hope your rest was good & your hike is great!

The only hiking I did was into Eagle's Nest Shelter with shelterbuilder. We took in 6 bags of bark mulch for the composting privy and recut the vista today that had grown shut. A little more fine tuning and we'll be back in business.

Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago when that vista was cut open. sb brought with him a pic of the vista on the day the shelter was dedicated in 1988. Good times.

I was also greatful for the assistance provided by both hikers who spent last night at Eagle's Nest Shelter. Each carried in a bag of mulch saving sb and myself a round trip. If either or both of you happen to read this post, thank you very much!

emerald
07-30-2007, 14:29
gold bond, I believe I'd rather empty the collection container at Eagle's Nest Shelter's privy and start a new batch of compost than read another one of your posts about "true" thru-hikes.:D

Mags
07-30-2007, 14:54
gold bond, I believe I'd rather empty the collection container at Eagle's Nest Shelter's privy and start a new batch of compost than read another one of your posts about "true" thru-hikes.:D

Hmmm...it could be like "REAL CRIME" 1940's novels...

True Tales of True Thru's !!!

I wonder if Elmore James would be interested?

gold bond
07-30-2007, 15:04
Hey shade....is that bad or is it that personnel?

Frosty
07-30-2007, 15:07
Hmmm...it could be like "REAL CRIME" 1940's novels...

True Tales of True Thru's !!!

I wonder if Elmore James would be interested?Do you mean James Ellroy (LA Confidential, Black Dahlia) or Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, Riding the Rap, Be Cool, etc)?

Elmore James was a blues guitarist.

emerald
07-30-2007, 15:14

:-? You might be a slackposting weenie, but I'd need an opinion from the authority on that subject to be sure. I see you blue-blazed the s in just too.;)

Mags
07-30-2007, 15:15
Do you mean James Ellroy (LA Confidential, Black Dahlia) or Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty, Riding the Rap, Be Cool, etc)?

Elmore James was a blues guitarist.

You are right...I am having a brain cramp. Crossed my wires. Doh! I meant Elmore Leonard..though I've heard of James Ellroy...(LA Confidential is a favorite movie...never read any of the books).

(I do have Elmore James in my CD collection..just to make this even more fun!)

emerald
07-30-2007, 15:20
Hey shade....is that bad or is it that personnel?

gold bond, BMECC is always looking for personnel to assist with our bin composters.:) We'd be happy to have you join us the next time, so long as you don't dissertate on "true" thru-hikes, okay?:cool:

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 15:30
And pleeeaaasseee....hike your own hike. If that was the case you or I wouldn't subscribe to WB to get other peoples opinion on how to hike! I would rather just say..."happy trails" BTW, I do not subscibe to get other peoples opinion on how to hike. I know how to hike. I did pick up some info on the trail this week, though, that I may check out. It will make my pack even lighter!! And, I didn't even ask. The information was forthcoming.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 15:43
Shades as long as we're talking crap....Why does your feathers get so ruffled on the "true thru hike" subject?

Seems as though you have some pretty strong opinions but seem to get real offensive on that one thing...why is that?

I'm not here to argue but it seems you get a little frustarted with that subject...care to elaborate?

gold bond
07-30-2007, 15:46
Modiyooch what is your purpose on subscribing to WB if not to get reference material on hiking or as some call it...opinions?

Even on WB we don't ask..sometimes the info is just there. I have learned alot of valuable information on WB...without even asking, it was just there!

gold bond
07-30-2007, 15:51
Mags, I just went to your website. It is great! That being said...whats your opinion on the (for the sake of shades I won't use the word true) (T*@e) thru hike?

I really like the way you have the site done...I'm going back to read somemore!

Mags
07-30-2007, 15:56
..whats your opinion on the (for the sake of shades I won't use the word true) thru hike?

To walk. To see. To see what you see.
--Benton MacKaye

Everything else is just the details.

(and thanks for the kind words)

Frosty
07-30-2007, 16:12
Shades as long as we're talking crap....Why does your feathers get so ruffled on the "true thru hike" subject?Can you grasp the concept that there is no "true thru hike?"

That everyone has his own idea of what a hike entails? For some it is social, and the town experience is most important? For others it is solitude and being alone in the woods (though these folk would do better to avoid the AT as they won't find their hike there. Try the Bruce Trail.)

Not everyone 'wants to get away from it all,' they just like being in the woods, so telling them cell phones don't belong on the trail doesn't make sense. They don't belong for YOU, they are fine for others. Just being in the woods is enough for some people, they don't need to be Daniel Boone. Others cannot stand it if there is anyone camped within a mile. To each his/her own.

Talking about the "true thru hike" is like talking about the "one true religion." There are many of them, and what's mine is not yours.

Once you get the concept of hike your own hike (and let others hike theirs), you'll see that this whole thread is meaningless.

The problem is, we have people who give lip service with HYOH. Hike your own hike, but slack packing isn't real thuhiking. Hike your own hike, but if you bypass a hundred yards going into a shelter and coming out of it then you didn't hike the AT.

People with van support didn't thru hike. Well, yeah, they did. They didn't thru backpack. But then anyone who re-supplies or stays in a hostel didn't either.

If you take a month off, you didn't thru hike. If you and a friend split gear, if you bring a GPS or MP3 player, if you ... , if you ... It goes on and on. People trying to tell other what is important and what they should do.

You take care of Gold Bond, I'll take care of myself, and Shades of Grey is perfectly capable of knowing what he wants for himself.

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 16:33
Modiyooch what is your purpose on subscribing to WB if not to get reference material on hiking or as some call it...opinions?

to give opinions based on my experience. Like you say, everyone has an opinion. I have asked only one question and that was regarding the temps at MT Washington. I know the temperature ranges and I will prepare for the worst while hoping for the best, but I was interested in the experiences of others while at the summit.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 16:46
Frosty, well stated and I strongly agree on most of it!

There were alot of people giving their thoughts on this subject and when I gave mine well I pretty much was told mine was what belonged in the crapper. If you are going to do that well I will debate you till your fingers bleed! As far as believing there is no true thruhike well maybe the word true is whats causing alot of people to gasp. Is there a true south? You betcha!!

I as well believe this HOH is an excuse for some. It was first a spiritual thing, but now like alot of things some have twisted it all up to mean nothing. I will leave that at that. If there is a HOH theory than there has to be a True thru hike theory....I may be wrong but you can't have it both ways.

Again, I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings. I thought this was a site where you could talk and figure things out like that issue without prejudice. Maybe I should just read from now on and hold my opinions. I guess I'll never get the "politically correct" thing down right either!

Mags
07-30-2007, 17:30
Is there a true south? You betcha!! )

True south? Well..depending on your view point, the true south (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Italy)is debateable as well. Some would argue it begins at the "first petrol stop south of Rome". :D (Kinda like saying the "civil war"... The roundtops or the cavaliers? Oh..you mean THAT civil war instead?)

If there is a HOH theory than there has to be a True thru hike theory....I may be wrong but you can't have it both ways.

Are we now looking for the Grand Unification Theory of Hiking? I think it has something to do with the mythical AYCE Ben and Jerry's.

I thought this was a site where you could talk and figure things out like that issue without prejudice. Maybe I should just read from now on and hold my opinions.

Sigh. I see this a lot in real life. You are more than welcome to express opinions...but people are welcome to question them as well. It goes both ways.

Just because I (or someone else) questions your opinions, does not mean we question you. As I am found of saying "It is possible to disagree without being disagreeble".

Part of that is yes..we are going to disagree with you. Yes, we may question your opinions. Yes, we may poke fun. But it also means I'll probably buy you a round if I ever see you at a trail town at some point.

It's just talk..get out there and hike. Hike your own hike, if you will. ;)

Wolf - 23000
07-30-2007, 17:35
Oh yes, and I shared my good fortune with those coming through the gaps with me. They were grateful to get water and to unload trash. I don't believe they cheated by accepting water.

What exactly is the definition of a full pack? I once carried 80 lbs, but now learn to live with 30 when not slackpacking. Is that cheating??

you blame Walmart ??

Hike your hike, and let others hike theirs.

A Full pack is carrying everything you need to be self sufficant without relying on others. If you need to rely on shelter, other hikers for food/water, etc. your nothing but a bum.

Wolf

modiyooch
07-30-2007, 17:39
A Full pack is carrying everything you need to be self sufficant without relying on others. If you need to rely on shelter, other hikers for food/water, etc. your nothing but a bum.

Wolfnot my situation, thanks

BucketHeadnBryn
07-30-2007, 18:07

Wolf

Technically, that'd be a tramp, not a bum. A hobo travels and works, a tramp travels and drinks, and a bum drinks and don't go nowhere. (For the more romantic version, replace the word "drinks" with "dreams".)

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 18:23
Yeah, I've been catching that too. Makes me wonder if Wolf does that for amusement or really is that lousy on the keyboard.

Brrrb, this thread is Wolf's COMMANDMENTS so the rest of us can abide by them or be among the "evil" as we choose. The original post wasn't directed at any single individual, and Wolf can be a hoot.

Really, sit back and think about it for a minute: how much would you have given to have seen that infamous encounter between MS and Wolf? I know I'd have given a centavo or two to watch that. FWIW I think I'd have been cheering for Wolf, but seeing as I missed that pivotal episode in AT history I'll never be sure.

Wolf, my spelling impaired friend, keep on posting. Aside from being amused I do pick up a tip or two from you every now and again, and I promise not to ask what's in your pack. ;)

I've seen enough infamous encounters to last me awhile. I only watch when they're free....and I still feel a bit of a rubber-necker, gawking at a trainwreck.

I just hope Wolf doesn't have a lot of cardiac involvement in the fact that very few other people wandering the AT (doing whatever it is that he feels they are technically entitled to say they are doing) have absolutely no need of external validation coming from his direction.

From my standpoint, this is a little like the Pope sending out a memo on what the word "church" means, technically speaking, from the standpoint of the Vatican. As long as it only applies to meetings overseen by the Vatican, and the Pope doesn't get red in the face whenever he reads in the newspaper about the 15,000 other Christian denominations in the world using the term their own way (he doesn't, by the way) then hey, have at it. Even if you're talking to the Pope, lightning isn't going to strike you if you call your denomination of one a "church".

So, hey, Wolf: I'm a weenie. No skin off my knees. Have a nice hike, restrain yourself around weenies like me who insist on using the language their own way, and watch that blood pressure, OK? You only get so many trips around the sun. Use the time wisely. ;)

(Get a life....I do have to get that on the old "to do" list. :D )

gold bond
07-30-2007, 18:40
I've seen enough infamous encounters to last me awhile. I only watch when they're free....and I still feel a bit of a rubber-necker, gawking at a trainwreck.

I just hope Wolf doesn't have a lot of cardiac involvement in the fact that very few other people wandering the AT (doing whatever it is that he feels they are technically entitled to say they are doing) have absolutely no need of external validation coming from his direction.

From my standpoint, this is a little like the Pope sending out a memo on what the word "church" means, technically speaking, from the standpoint of the Vatican. As long as it only applies to meetings overseen by the Vatican, and the Pope doesn't get red in the face whenever he reads in the newspaper about the 15,000 other Christian denominations in the world using the term their own way (he doesn't, by the way) then hey, have at it. Even if you're talking to the Pope, lightning isn't going to strike you if you call your denomination of one a "church".

So, hey, Wolf: I'm a weenie. No skin off my knees. Have a nice hike, restrain yourself around weenies like me who insist on using the language their own way, and watch that blood pressure, OK? You only get so many trips around the sun. Use the time wisely. ;)

(Get a life....I do have to get that on the old "to do" list. :D )
Guess 'ole Mr. Webster had it all wrong then. I been reading and using his stuff for ywares...guess I could have been making up my own. Geez so much wasted time!

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 18:57
Guess 'ole Mr. Webster had it all wrong then. I been reading and using his stuff for ywares...guess I could have been making up my own. Geez so much wasted time!

Webster? Who made him Pope? :D
(Not the people in Oxford.;) )

Seriously, though, dictionaries just report the prevailing usages...which, if I remember correctly, are listed in order of antiquity, not popularity. Also the decision of someone more or less self-appointed to the job. This is why they don't just put out one edition and have it over with. What gives them the authority they have? That the rest of us decide to use them that way. Ol' Daniel put out a book that corresponded to what people think is good pronunciation and usage, the books sell, the standards remain. I think Wolf has an uphill battle in front of him....at least, unless he is heir to some sort of equivalent to apostolic sucession that I'm not aware of?

The Spanish have a government-appointed Royal Committee which decrees what is and is not the Spanish language. The English don't. I don't think they've had one for about 500 years. Those guys were the brain surgeons who put the spelling of "knight" in stone, though, the old boogers, so I say good riddance to them.

I'll remain a black sheep, in any event....but I really gotta get to that "to-do" list thing.

Just Jeff
07-30-2007, 19:24
I actually brought this up in another thread, got blasted for it but I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. We have become a society of instant gradification. I blame Walmart for that! We want it when we want it no matter what it takes to get it. We have become lazy and over confident and I humbly believe that it is starting to show up in our hiking community now.

I feel that "slackpacking" or having a car meet you every 8 miles so you can get what you may need and resupplied isn't right. The only reason there is a road every 8 miles is because of people thinking up ways to get out of carrying their "full" packs! Whatever happened to carrying "what you need" to get the task completed? Hiking isn't a task and I hope it never becomes one but if it is what you have planned to do then at that moment in time it is your task.

To me...and this is my humble opinion...it's cheating. I feel the same way about hikers spending 2-3 nights a week in town, eating at resteraunts, and partying and staying in motels every other night. I do feel you need to come off the trail every now and then to rest your body and mind but it has gotten way out of hand. If you have that kind of energy either hike on further or help the local ATC do some trail maint.

I do not agree with flip flopping either...pick a direction...plan enough time to do it...and go! If you have to flip flop and it isn't due to a medical situation...well you spent way to much time in town trying to lighten your load and line up your slack pack rides!

I am a section hiker. I in all likelyhood always will be.
I probably will never be blessed with the oppotunity to do a "true" thru hike. I have always and will always envy the people blessed with the oppurtunity to be able to give it a try.You can bet on one thing...I started at the approach trail at Springer and I will finish at Kahtadin! No blue blazing, no slackpacking, and no flip flopping. I will stay north untill it ends.I will carry what I need for the duration of that section. I actually did from Sam's Gap to Bald Mnt shelter and back as a warm up hike for Philmont. When I get to that section again in my hike I will do it all over again. When I came back south it erased my steps!

Hopefully one day I will get to thru and I will stick with whatever plan I decide to do. If I don't finish....I'll start all over gain, from the beginning at the approach trail, when I can and hopefully will learn from my first mistakes. In reading the trail journals from hikers this year I bet you can count on one hand how many stayed "true" to the trail. I can not tell you what "true" is....but when you finish you will know deep down inside what the answer to that is.

I like to see people respectfully enjoying wilderness, no matter whose rules of hiking they follow. If they having fun and not hurting the environment, more power to them. HYOH.

T-Dubs
07-30-2007, 20:01
I think I ju(s)t lost 80 million brain cells wading through this thread.

You've got to stop playing that game where you drink a shot every time you read 'HYOH'. :)

Me, on the other hand, I can't wait to read some more!

TWS

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 20:06
You've got to stop playing that game where you drink a shot every time you read 'HYOH'. :)

Ooo, that would be worse that the Rachel Ray games. That's wicked drunk! :eek:

gold bond
07-30-2007, 20:20
Just Jeff HYOH'd......raise your glasses....AAAHHHHH! Next!!

gold bond
07-30-2007, 20:36
Webster? Who made him Pope? :D
(Not the people in Oxford.;) )

Seriously, though, dictionaries just report the prevailing usages...which, if I remember correctly, are listed in order of antiquity, not popularity. Also the decision of someone more or less self-appointed to the job. This is why they don't just put out one edition and have it over with. What gives them the authority they have? That the rest of us decide to use them that way. Ol' Daniel put out a book that corresponded to what people think is good pronunciation and usage, the books sell, the standards remain. I think Wolf has an uphill battle in front of him....at least, unless he is heir to some sort of equivalent to apostolic sucession that I'm not aware of?

The Spanish have a government-appointed Royal Committee which decrees what is and is not the Spanish language. The English don't. I don't think they've had one for about 500 years. Those guys were the brain surgeons who put the spelling of "knight" in stone, though, the old boogers, so I say good riddance to them.

I'll remain a black sheep, in any event....but I really gotta get to that "to-do" list thing.
Are you trying to "compisate" here for some kind of shotcoming?

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 21:14
Are you trying to "compisate" here for some kind of shotcoming?

No. I just don't know when to shut up. There is no compisating for that.

gold bond
07-30-2007, 21:42
So that makes two of us! Want to start some kind of club?

Brrrb Oregon
07-30-2007, 21:58
So that makes two of us! Want to start some kind of club?

I thought that's what we were already in. That's what Wolf said, anyway. ;)

emerald
07-31-2007, 00:54
Shades as long as we're talking crap....Why does your feathers get so ruffled on the "true thru hike" subject?

Can you grasp the concept that there is no "true thru hike?"

I had a long but enjoyable day yesterday. Thanks, Frosty, for answering gold bond's question.

gold bond,

How can there be one "true" thru-hike when everyone has his or her own and they're all different? It is one's own "true" thru-hike that one must hike, not yours.

You shouldn't believe everything you read or take all of my posts seriously. Many are intended simply for entertainment purposes.

Consider lightening up and reading The Cry of the Loon. It's one of my favorite threads. I find this thread quite entertaining too. The point of it all is for newbies to read it and see how ridiculous this sort of discussion can be.

Shades of Gray

woodsy
07-31-2007, 07:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24565

In case you couldn't find it:-?:sun

Wolf - 23000
07-31-2007, 22:42
To those of you who have come forward by announcing your weenie hood, I salute you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to reach enlighten ment. Brothers, sisters let us pray that one day they will grow out weak bodies to become a true backpacker.

A true backpacker is truly far greater than a mear slackpacker - who needs to cheat to accomplished the same task a backpacker is able to endure. Their weak body makes them weak, wanting, desiring create confort of home. A backpacker does not desire these things. He/she desires only peace and quite while in nature.

Wolf

Uncle Silly
07-31-2007, 22:59
i reached the enlighten mints and ate them all. had to yellow-blaze around Big K to get 'em. sorry i didn't leave any for the followers of the One True Hike.

emerald
07-31-2007, 23:24
To those of you who have come forward by announcing your weenie hood, I salute you. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to reach enlighten ment. Brothers, sisters let us pray that one day they will grow out weak bodies to become a true backpacker.

Wolf

Wolf, that other Wolf --the one with the high post count-- he announced just prior to departing on his Green Mountain adventure he'd joined the ranks of lightweight weenies. You might want to go here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25479) to read his announcement in the event you missed it.

Do you think he should give up his ways and carry a heavier pack?

emerald
07-31-2007, 23:37
i reached the enlighten mints and ate them all. had to yellow-blaze around Big K to get 'em. sorry i didn't leave any for the followers of the One True Hike.

I know it's sinful to be envious, but knowing you will now experience eternal peace and quite while in nature makes me wish I reached them first.:(

Frosty
08-01-2007, 08:15
Again, I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings. I thought this was a site where you could talk and figure things out like that issue without prejudice. Maybe I should just read from now on and hold my opinions. I guess I'll never get the "politically correct" thing down right either!Well said, but you don't need to hold back your opinions. This board is full of very strong opinions.

Where I have to be careful is to give my opinion, not tell other people they are wrong for theirs. There is a big difference between, "I go into the woods to get away from civilization," and, "The only reason we go into the woods is to get away from civilization."

The first is true, the second is not. It is basically telling people why THEY hike. Some people roll their eyes, others respond by saying, "Who do you think you are to tell me what I like."

That is probably why you got the reaction you did. You don't have to stop giving your opinion. You can still give opinions. You can also tell people how wrong they are do hike the way they do. That is half the threads on WB. Simply expect to have people object, and then counter-attack viciously.

There is a game where you post something controversial, and when someone says, "That's not my experience at all," you pounce. It's called spanking, and some people really get off on it.

Don't go away. Your posts were well written. Stick around and post some more.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 08:35
Thanks Frosty. I do need to think before I type sometimes. I do no ever try to force my opinion on anyone but I guess it seems like that sometimes.

Again thanks for the kind words and the advice. I never turn down good advice!

modiyooch
08-01-2007, 09:02

A true backpacker is truly far greater than a mear slackpacker - who needs to cheat to accomplished the same task a backpacker is able to endure. Their weak body makes them weak, wanting, desiring create confort of home. A backpacker does not desire these things. He/she desires only peace and quite while in nature.

Wolf ok, I confess. I slackpacked (??) thru PA & NJ. Although, I did carry everything that I needed for the day and didn't ask my fellow hiker for food/water/shelter, I am guilty of not wanting to carry a full pack up for those .5 elevation gains of 500 feet. I am sooo weak. I also chose to camp off the trail or at a hostel instead of 2 miles in from THE INTERSTATES. I'll redeem myself in Maine.

MOWGLI
08-01-2007, 09:06
I met Wolf in Louisville last fall. He had a great big smile when he was talking about trails. Somehow I think he's flashing that same smile as he reads the replies to this thread. :sun

gold bond
08-01-2007, 09:15
I met Wolf in Louisville last fall. He had a great big smile when he was talking about trails. Somehow I think he's flashing that same smile as he reads the replies to this thread. :sun

Go Wolf, Go Wolf, it's your birthday Go Wolf......:banana

Time To Fly 97
08-01-2007, 09:26
Thanks Frosty. I do need to think before I type sometimes. I do no ever try to force my opinion on anyone but I guess it seems like that sometimes.

Again thanks for the kind words and the advice. I never turn down good advice!

A respectful way to state your opinion
(Just to think about and certainly not directed at anyone)

I used to work for a place called New Dominion in MD. It is a very successful wilderness-based group therapy alternative for teenagers facing lock up for crimes they committed. The formula for talking with one of the group who was acting out went something like this:

I don't feel uncomfortable with you
I feel uncomfortable about what you did or what you are saying
This is how it makes me feel
Never call people names or speak for their feelings (cause you don't know them well enough to do that)
Keep an eye out for and acknowledge common ground in the debate, to reinforce that the conversation is friendly
It sometimes helps to soften your point by using words like I think, seems, may, perhaps, sometimes, etc. This may help to change the "voice of God" delivery to a "suggestion to think about" delivery.

I think this formula works very well in everything from family disagreements, to professional work to even WB. We are all part of the hiking family so we want to be respectful to each other. If you state your opinion softly and from the first person perspective, you can not be faulted and chances are your message recipients will feel safer to share more with you...leading to a better conversation.

Just some thoughts.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 11:36

Wolf

You seem to be a big-hearted man, which is the difference between a prophet and a mere self-satisfied fanatic.

May I point out, however, that there are those (myself not included, I will admit, at least not just yet) whom the Good Lord has not given a body capable of putting in quite the miles or hours that you advocate. It is not cheating if you give your best. It is only cheating if you give less than that of which you are capable or claim more than you actually do. Attempting to tax yourself beyond your actual ability is not an act of integrity, but an act of self-delusion.

There is nothing wrong with a Labrador retriever not being a hound, or a hound not being a cat. "Hike your own hike" (oops...SHOTS!) is just another way of saying, "Be yourself". There is, as well, to everything a season: a day to push hard and a day to sit alone in one secluded meadow and just listen, a day to hike together and a day to hike alone, a day to unequivocally do and a day to just be.

Still, I can see where advocating leaving a lot more "home" behind when you go out to meet nature and asking a bit more of your body than you are certain it can deliver can be an encouragement to go a little deeper into what is and is not "self." You are right in preaching that these practices often hold some rewarding surprises.

I'm not a proponent of hair shirts or bringing back the cat'o'nine tails, but I can get on board with that.

MOWGLI
08-01-2007, 12:12
Mowgli's Commandment.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEATING IN HIKING. :sun

gold bond
08-01-2007, 12:23
Time to Fly 97, Thank you for the tips. The will certainly be taken to heart. I will use them as I work with youth as well, not to that extendt but it will be very helpful....again thank you.

Ender
08-01-2007, 12:34
Mowgli's Commandment.

This one is good. :sun

gold bond
08-01-2007, 13:10
Mowgli's Commandment.

Caught a crew at Philmont cutting switchbacks and taking dirt roads to stay ahead of our crew and get the level sites every night! We were wondering how they beat us to the campsites every night. Cheating?

MOWGLI
08-01-2007, 13:21
Caught a crew at Philmont cutting switchbacks and taking dirt roads to stay ahead of our crew and get the level sites every night! We were wondering how they beat us to the campsites every night. Cheating?

Cheating? No. Bad trail ethics? Yes.

Jaybird
08-01-2007, 13:46
[FONT='Bradley Hand ITC']Thy shall not bitch about ___fill in blank_________ blah, blah,blah,........................................ ....

[SIZE="3"]thou shall NOT use someone else's TRAIL NAME on WB.
DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:D

gold bond
08-01-2007, 13:58
Cheating? No. Bad trail ethics? Yes.

So if I slide an ace up my sleeve when playing poker it's considered bad "card ethic's"

The Cheat
08-01-2007, 14:00
I think a nice commandment of White Blaze would be you shouldn't be allowed to change the default font. cursive, pink, purple, etc makes for poor readability.

I agree, I would have liked that post alot better if I was able to read it.

RockStar
08-01-2007, 14:01
Damn it. Now I have to learn the rules of the hiking game? Are there teams? I want the red team unless the blue teams jerseys are Cobalt Blue. Will they be soccer style jerseys or basketball style? If basketball style...Ill just be a cheerleader.

warren doyle
08-01-2007, 14:01
Wolf (a.ka. Charlton),

Commandments? No thanks. I'll stick to my one-page 'book'.

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 14:03
Mowgli's Commandment.

It is not technically "cheating" if you cut through between trails so as to needlessly cause erosion? OK, that's fine. Call it what you want. If you do, however, you will be shot on the spot or, by those who do not carry guns, beaten senseless with a Leki pole, dipped naked in undiluted Aqua Mira, and hung up like a bear bag from the tallest tree that's handy.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 14:18
It is not technically "cheating" if you cut through between trails so as to needlessly cause erosion? OK, that's fine. Call it what you want. If you do, however, you will be shot on the spot or, by those who do not carry guns, beaten senseless with a Leki pole, dipped naked in undiluted Aqua Mira, and hung up like a bear bag from the tallest tree that's handy.

Now I always get on my son when he says , "technically dad if I was only....was It wrong" Just because we use the word technically doesn't not make it cheating.

Mags
08-01-2007, 14:25
Now I have to learn the rules of the hiking game?

I've said it many times (including this thread), but the man who came up with the idea said it best. When asked on the purpose of the Appalachian Trail he said simply:

To walk. To see. To see what you see.

These "rules" are the esence of why we hike.

Walking is the simplest activity. You put one foot in front of the other, you enjoy the views, the feel of the sun on your face, the smell of damp leaves during a New England autumn. Drink a mug of hot chocolate on a cold, but sunny, winter day.

We can talk about purity. Or Slack packing. Or the "correct" way to hike the Appalachian Trail.

I will instead think of the simple statement said by a forester with a patrician background.

I will walk. I will see. I will continue to see what I see.

I suspect we all feel the same way in the end. It is only on online forums that we continue to debate the number of thru-hiking angles on a pin. God knows I've done that too. :)

emerald
08-01-2007, 14:26

No, gold bond, not cheating. I don't understand the concept of cheating while hiking, unless one's talking about claims to have done something one hasn't done. What you describe is something far worse.

I find cutting switchbacks lazy and disrespectful toward those who laid out and built that trail. Those people were trying to build a trail that stands the test of time and they busted their behinds to make it that way. I also think what you describe is a crime against nature as well as selfish in the extreme.

How do you like my opinions today, gold bond? As I pointed out yesterday, I thought I might one day like you. I meant almost completely. Anyone who spends time with young people outdoors and teaches them about respect is not a bad person for sure.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 14:49
No, gold bond, not cheating. I don't understand the concept of cheating while hiking, unless you're talking about claims to have done something one hasn't done. What you descirbe is something far worse.

I find cutting switchbacks lazy and disrespectful toward those who laid out and built that trail. Those people were trying to build a trail that stands the test of time and they busted their behinds to make it that way. I also think what you describe is a crime against nature as well as selfish in the extreme.

How do you like my opinions today, gold bond? As I pointed out yesterday, I thought I might one day like you. I meant almost completely. Anyone who spends time with young people outdoors and teaches them about respect is not a bad person for sure.

OOOOO Shades you did'nt see my post on that other thread! As far as opinions...there like feet...we all got them...just yours stink! Thats according to FD

emerald
08-01-2007, 14:56
OOOOO Shades you did'nt see my post on that other thread! As far as opinions...there like feet...we all got them...just yours stink! Thats according to FD

You are correct about opinions, but that thread and this thread are BS threads, the other thread even more so. Besides, the other thread is a humor thread. I'll read it now. I suppose you think it will cause my hair to stand on end or something!;)

RockStar
08-01-2007, 14:58
Im on Oregons team :eek: ;)

emerald
08-01-2007, 15:05
Im on Oregons team :eek: ;)

I don't have all afternoon to play, but when I come home much later, I'll see how the teams are shaping up. I think playing for or against the two of you might be fun!:D

gold bond
08-01-2007, 15:09
You are correct about opinions, but that thread and this thread are BS threads, the other thread even more so. Besides, the other thread is a humor thread. I'll read it now. I suppose you think it will cause my hair to stand on end or something!;)

You've got hair??

emerald
08-01-2007, 15:24
You've got hair??

Why are you questioning your own question? gold bond, do you have a confidence problem? Of course, I have hair! Don't you read your PMs?

MOWGLI
08-01-2007, 15:31

I was climbing a mountain near Purple Lake on the JMT last summer - when this hiker came flying straight down the mountain cutting all the switchbacks. As he passed perhaps 50' in front of me, I yelled, "Hey! WHat are you doing? Please don't cut the switchback. You're damaging the trail!" Too late. He was gone.

The embarressing part is, he was Asian. A short while later (perhaps 30 minutes) I met up with another Asian out on the trail, and I ASSUMED (OH OH :eek: ) that the guy who was cutting the switchbacks was his buddy. I said something to him, and the reaction I got told me immediately that there was no connection between the two. Boy, did I feel stupid. Thankfully, it seemed to go over his head.

Moral of the story? No more profiling on the trail for Mowgli!

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 15:39
Now I always get on my son when he says , "technically dad if I was only....was It wrong" Just because we use the word technically doesn't not make it cheating.

I'm usually pretty peaceble about the words people choose, but by the time I start getting mama-bear about a topic, I'm past semantics. Call it what you want: they can split hairs, I'll be going moma-bear on them. They probably ought to argue while they run, not before.

With regards to violence, my history would show I'm more like an elephant than a bear. It isn't hard to stay on my good side.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 17:42
I'm usually pretty peaceble about the words people choose, but by the time I start getting mama-bear about a topic, I'm past semantics. Call it what you want: they can split hairs, I'll be splitting their skull where the hair parts. They probably ought to argue while they run, not before.

With regards to violence, my history would show I'm more like an elephant than a bear. It isn't hard to stay on my good side.help me?

I do not nderstand what your implying here. Can you help me.....huh?

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 19:40
help me?

I do not nderstand what your implying here. Can you help me....splitting skulls, running....huh?

I'm not going to get in a discussion (split hairs) about whether it is "cheating" to cut out switchbacks. Either knock it off or face the consequences.

Or run. (See post, above.) A person only has to be faster than me, which is not a tremendous feat, even when I'm mad, but I won't spot you three steps, I'm just saying, you'd better dispense with the talking and get with the running.

gold bond
08-01-2007, 21:27
Still Why would I need to run from you...what have I done to you? I do not even know you.
Just for future reference though...I don't run. I've been known to get knocked back a step or two but I'll stay to the end!

Yahtzee
08-01-2007, 21:36
I heard the switchbacks are so down about hikers passing them up, they have begun cutting themselves. It's getting to be an epidemic among the younger trails.

Brrrb Oregon
08-01-2007, 23:03
Still Why would I need to run from you...what have I done to you? I do not even know you.
Just for future reference though...I don't run. I've been known to get knocked back a step or two but I'll stay to the end!

Oh, NOW I understand why you're confused. I explained myself that way because thought I was just being obscure again. I have a way of doing that. (Hard to imagine, I know.:rolleyes: )

Heavens, I don't mean YOU personally! I meant "you" as in "if for example you were to do such and so"! I was agreeing with you....I don't care whether somebody says "technically" or not. I have pretty reasonable rules, and give second chances to those who are contrite. It takes some work to get my hackles up. That's what I meant by more elephant than mama bear.

Well, unless you cut through between switchbacks, but the truth is that I'm just an old lady who'll probably just shake my cane at you and pull your ears if I catch you. (DON'T YOU DO THAT, YOU HEAR?!?)

When somebody does something bad enough to get me mad at them, they're generally too embarrassed about it to give me any fight about it. ;)

gold bond
08-02-2007, 08:28
Oregan, I apoligize for the misunderstanding...it's all good!

Where's shades gotten off to? I'm out of Opinions!

woodsy
08-02-2007, 09:55
I did not start this thread but my name somehow replaced wolf-2300 under the forum heading Wolf's commandments.:eek:
Can this be fixed?
Thank you.:)
Woodsy

gold bond
08-02-2007, 10:22
Oh Woodsy...how could you ....how could you just take over a thread like that? Was this a hostile takeover? Did wolf put up much of a struggle? OOOOOO the horror of it all!!

woodsy
08-02-2007, 10:37
Something funny going on here? Did I accidently hijack wolf's thread?

woodsy
08-02-2007, 10:41
42 replies to a thread with only 20 views:-?

Brrrb Oregon
08-02-2007, 10:47
42 replies to a thread with only 20 views:-?

You caught me. I have it on perma-view. All those posts, only one view.

gold bond
08-02-2007, 10:47
This thread has takin on a life of its own...."open the thread door hal"

Uncle Silly
08-02-2007, 13:51
no kidding... it's gotten split into three different threads... woodsy, what did you do??! :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26338
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26450
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26455

gold bond
08-02-2007, 15:41
o crap now it's under my name! Some one stop this godzilla of a thread before it devowers all of white blaze.....oh geez I hear it coming again....I'm...so...scared....aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-02-2007, 16:28
::: Evil Dino grins :::

I fixed it.

gold bond
08-02-2007, 17:45
Gold Bond scratches,ticles rubs...FD toes!

emerald
08-02-2007, 23:14
Oregan, I apoligize for the misunderstanding...it's all good!

Where's shades gotten off to? I'm out of Opinions!

You'd better apologize to the lady from the Pacific coast. She'll tear you apart!

If you wanted opinions, you should have emailed me, rather than taunted me online. I've got plenty of opinions, just none for you today! I sent them to someone else. You seem to think I have nothing better to do than to respond to your posts! I have a life apart from WhiteBlaze, gold bond.:p:rolleyes:

Brrrb Oregon
08-02-2007, 23:38
You'd better apologize to the lady from the Pacific coast. She'll tear you apart!

If you wanted opinions, you should have emailed me, rather than taunted me online. I've got plenty of opinions, just none for you today! I sent them to someone else. You seem to think I have nothing better to do than to respond to your posts! I have a life apart from WhiteBlaze, gold bond.:p:rolleyes:

Elephant, not mama bear. Ten years, I'll never hurt a fly. Just watch out for that ten years plus a day. ;)

OK, maybe one of those little yipppy rat-on-a-ribbon dogs that thinks that a leash is all that stands between it and really giving it to those passing cars....:rolleyes:

Just stay on the trail and don't try me by cutting off those switchbacks. I wouldn't want to be responsible.
(YIP! YIP! YIPYIPYIPYIP-YIP! Grrrr.)

gold bond
08-03-2007, 08:35
Durn shades now I feel...well...kinda like I imagine you hike...low and slow! No opinions....no opinions...from you ! Dang, that be like Disney with no Mickey Mouse! You got more opinions than Carter's got liver pills....now all ya need is courage ta put 'em out there! Come on...come on...you can do it water boy!!

Now you got to leave 'ol Oregon out of this.....she and I done worked it out! Looks like you are on your own on this one now! It's just you and me!

I did email you back...rather I PM'd you back. You didn't get it. Dang, I was rather proud of that response! Go back and look, I don't want that one to get away!

gold bond
08-03-2007, 10:29
Shades....is this your post eqivalent to a "rope-a-dope"? Take a jab and then run off for a day! Such a hoser poster!!

Now...I will not be back untill Sunday. Don't beat me up to bad! I'm going camping this weekend. I got to get away from this place for awhile!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2007, 10:35
::: Dino bites Gold Bond on toes :D :::
Gold Bond, how dare you abandon internet hiking for real camping. Have a good time.

Brrrb Oregon
08-03-2007, 12:46
Shades....is this your post eqivalent to a "rope-a-dope"? Take a jab and then run off for a day! Such a hoser poster!!

Now...I will not be back untill Sunday. Don't beat me up to bad! I'm going camping this weekend. I got to get away from this place for awhile!!

And we get to leave on Sunday! Normally I'd say that working weekends stinks, but since camping in midweek rocks, I won't bellyache.

Yes, yes, I know, I should just abandon the children and the husband and thruhike. My long-range plan is to bring those boys up nice and strong, so they can carry the food for me when I'm old. They're 8 years old and weigh 75 pounds, and they did 5 miles with a 13 lb. pack on their first time out a few weeks back. If you consider the length of their inseam, that's like a grown guy doing 10 miles with a 30 lb. pack, but they were OK. Youth helps.

Wolf may think it is slackpacking to spend 15-20 years raising the kids in order to get some of the weight out of your pack, but I prefer to think of it as a long-range plan.

Of course, what is more likely to happen is that they'll do the PCT and I and my arthritic back will get to drop them off at the trailhead. Oh, well. This is what happens when you wait too long to have children. ;)

Mags
08-03-2007, 12:51
Oh, well. This is what happens when you wait too long to have children. ;)

In all seriosness, I think having children in your early - mid 30s is more common that in years past.

I think of my folks being 22 yrs old and having their first child (me!) and then I think of what I was like at 22 yrs old. Scary. ;)

Brrrb Oregon
08-03-2007, 13:23
I think of my folks being 22 yrs old and having their first child (me!) and then I think of what I was like at 22 yrs old. Scary. ;)

Me, too....but you know, it would have gotten us off the street.

gold bond
08-03-2007, 13:25
::: Dino bites Gold Bond on toes :D :::
Gold Bond, how dare you abandon internet hiking for real camping. Have a good time.

I hear you! It's like a 100 deg here today and is only suppose to get hotter this weekend. If there is any consilation to it is I will be with my son and Model T will be there. I'll probably just catch a section of the trail thru him....if nothing else I won't cramp up!

Mags
08-03-2007, 13:30
Me, too....but you know, it would have gotten us off the street.

Well, seeing as I was still living at home at 22 yrs old, if I had a kid my parents probably would have kicked me out INTO the street. :)

(Commuted to college..just like almost all my cousins)

Brrrb Oregon
08-03-2007, 15:37
Well, seeing as I was still living at home at 22 yrs old, if I had a kid my parents probably would have kicked me out INTO the street. :)

Just you, though. The grandkid could stay.

(Commuted to college..just like almost all my cousins)

Smart kid. A fraction of the loans, and maybe some money left for hiking gear.

Mags
08-03-2007, 15:57
Smart kid. A fraction of the loans, and maybe some money left for hiking gear.

Nothing to do with me. Most peple with my background don't go to college away from home for as much cultural as economic reasons. To leave the fold is just not heard of.... Even today, I am considered somewhat of a blacksheep when the majority of the family is still within 10 minutesof each other. :)

Sadly, I missed out on what college is about: Exposure to different ideas, being away from a different environment from what I was brought up in and other parts of college not taught in just classes.

No regrets. But I do acknowledge I missed out on an experience that most people in my current peer group had.

Part of the reason why my time on the AT was so meaningful that is my first real exposure to people who had a different background than myself, my family and friends.

Mags
08-03-2007, 15:58
Just you, though. The grandkid could stay.

Heh..you are probably right. The fact remains, I would still be on the street. :)

Brrrb Oregon
08-03-2007, 17:03
Sadly, I missed out on what college is about: Exposure to different ideas, being away from a different environment from what I was brought up in and other parts of college not taught in just classes.

No regrets. But I do acknowledge I missed out on an experience that most people in my current peer group had.

Part of the reason why my time on the AT was so meaningful that is my first real exposure to people who had a different background than myself, my family and friends.

Whether teaching or as a student, I have spent more time on college campuses than I care to admit. If you are spending time on the AT, I wouldn't worry too much about the part of college that you missed out on. As you say: no regrets, that's the way to go. What would have been is what was. You got a different experience, that's all.

Part of what you missed out on was a bunch of people financially sponging off their parents while feeling free to complain incessantly about them. I lived in the dorms for one year. I hated them. I was never meant to live with that many people who never missed having a kitchen. I will spare you the laundry list, but if I had a chance to do it over again, I'd pass over that living arrangement in a heartbeat, were I allowed to do it.

Look at it this way: long-distance hiking weeds out most of the people who have a profound dislike for seeing after their own needs. Whether by good luck or wisdom, I think you're getting the best of both worlds.

emerald
08-03-2007, 20:25
Shades....is this your post eqivalent to a "rope-a-dope"? Take a jab and then run off for a day!

You might not be surprised to learn the "rope-a-dope" tactic was invented about 1/2 hour's drive from where I WhiteBlaze. Muhammad Ali's training camp at Deer Lake just up PA 61 from Port Clinton is presently for sale.;)

I will not be back until Sunday. Don't beat me up too bad! I'm going camping this weekend. I got to get away from this place for awhile!!

Sounds like a good idea. I'd join you, but I'm a hiker, not a camper.:D

Jester2000
08-10-2007, 19:23
I think that you are not only sending a stupid but foollish message to any that walks on this planet. With the intention of enjoying ones self. I hiked from GA to PA . Am I any less worthy than thou ? your words ? a person that enjoys the outdoors. OHh and by the way i am going to ME an going SOUTH to catch up with friends. So why dont you start to encourage an stop your stiifling BS. AND get of your ass hit the trail?///////////////////////////////// And tell some one you love them today<:

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Thank you Wolf for the hilarious starter. Many good posts here, almost all funny (Yatz got a good one in that no one noticed), and some even intentionally so.

Folks like Notorious who don't know Wolf, continue to be offended! It's priceless (ps -- he's probably a little too busy to be hitting the AT, but I assure you, he's not on his ass).

Wolf - 23000
08-11-2007, 01:50
Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Thank you Wolf for the hilarious starter. Many good posts here, almost all funny (Yatz got a good one in that no one noticed), and some even intentionally so.

Folks like Notorious who don't know Wolf, continue to be offended! It's priceless (ps -- he's probably a little too busy to be hitting the AT, but I assure you, he's not on his ass).

notorius tic,

Thank you for your suggesting. We can start by adding the at your request 11th and the 12th Commandment suggest by Jester.

Commandment 11. Thy shall not do a hike half ass. If one shall hike only a mere 1,000 miles or less, thy shall not make any claim on being a true long distance hiker. To accomplish such a task one must have hiked at least 2,000 miles to be recognized as a long distance hiker.

Commandment 12. Thy shall take excessive hikes. Once a hiker has established him or herself as a true long distance hiker, they will continue to demonstrate their supreme ability by taken more challenging hikes. To be happy with the mere accomplishing of the AT is simple child play. To be true great, more hikers are needed. More challenging hikes are needed. To be truly great a hiker needs to be a true 4 seasonal hiker, able to hike in winter, spring, summer or fall without fear. Only then can one become GREAT.

Wolf

emerald
08-11-2007, 06:23
Commandments 11 and 12

I'm beginning to question whether I'd have any hope of being an adherent of two religions with 22 commandments! I would think it quite enough to follow the white blazes to Katahdin with 10.

Now we have 2 new commandments. To think I must simultaneously refrain from violating all 22 while hiking through Pennsylvania! Somehow, somewhere, if I wouldn't slip, I'd surely trip and fall.:eek:

I'm grateful I became a 2000 miler back in the good old days before HYOH and Wolf's Commandments when people just hiked.;)

Yahtzee
08-11-2007, 07:16
Shades,

I still think some semblance of pure trail goodness happens every year at the back of the pack. Those who start in May or who end up in the back end due to laziness or injury tend to just like to have a really good time. We would make plans to break them always ending up whereever the trail and the day took us.

Not sure if it is cos no one is behind you and don't have that sense of being in the middle of a migrating people. It's gratifying in a way to be in the back. I don't know why. But I think it is there, in the back of the pack, you find such rules and maxims are held in low esteem.

woodsy
08-11-2007, 07:20
notorius tic,

Thank you for your suggesting. We can start by adding the at your request 11th and the 12th Commandment suggest by Jester.

Commandment 11. Thy shall not do a hike half ass. If one shall hike only a mere 1,000 miles or less, thy shall not make any claim on being a true long distance hiker. To accomplish such a task one must have hiked at least 2,000 miles to be recognized as a long distance hiker.

Commandment 12. Thy shall take excessive hikes. Once a hiker has established him or herself as a true long distance hiker, they will continue to demonstrate their supreme ability by taken more challenging hikes. To be happy with the mere accomplishing of the AT is simple child play. To be true great, more hikers are needed. More challenging hikes are needed. To be truly great a hiker needs to be a true 4 seasonal hiker, able to hike in winter, spring, summer or fall without fear. Only then can one become GREAT.

Wolf

Well it is in the Hiking Humor thread.
Let's see, if I add up all the miles hiked since a lil boy, all the miles i've paddled since a teenager, all the hiking posts here at WB, all the miles marched in the Army, I might be considered not only a Great hiker but also a Great all round EXPLORER:banana

emerald
08-11-2007, 19:11
Let's see, if I add up all the miles hiked since a lil boy, all the miles i've paddled since a teenager, all the hiking posts here at WB, all the miles marched in the Army, I might be considered not only a Great hiker but also a Great all round EXPLORER:banana

:-? woodsy, you sound like someone who has a claim to the throne!;)

woodsy
08-11-2007, 21:00
:-? woodsy, you sound like someone who has a claim to the throne!;)

I don't know about that:-? I wouldn't want to have to memorize Wolf's now 12 COMMANDMENTS, hike 24/7 through snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, hail and darkness etc., etc. I've done enough of that already....Bring on the young bloods...the throne awaits THEM!:rolleyes:

emerald
08-12-2007, 08:17
I still think some semblance of pure trail goodness happens every year at the back of the pack.

If I got the call to hike a 2000-mile, unidirectional section-hike again, that's where I'd be. I'd start at Springer in the middle of May, finish toward the end of September and hike after most of the unhappy campers had folded their tents and gone home!;)

These days, Long Trail-length sections, day-hikes or maintenance appeal to me more. I like the freedom involved with being able to pick and choose. Life's short and there's an entire menu of activities to keep it interesting.:)

emerald
08-12-2007, 08:37
Bring on the young bloods...the throne awaits THEM!:rolleyes:

They'd better get started, they have quite a bit of catching up to do!:D

Me, I'm not much of a fan of monarchies, save for my stand of swamp milkweed in my native plants garden, where a different kind of monarch reigns and a bit of buzzing doesn't detract from more important matters.:sun

Wolf - 23000
08-12-2007, 11:39
I don't know about that:-? I wouldn't want to have to memorize Wolf's now 12 COMMANDMENTS, hike 24/7 through snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, hail and darkness etc., etc. I've done enough of that already....Bring on the young bloods...the throne awaits THEM!:rolleyes:

Ya right. I seem to leave most of the young bloods in the dust still begging me to call their mother even at twice their age.

Ask anyone of them to hike off season, see what their reply is? The throne awaits them; ya right. Anyone interested in taking a real hike let me know.

Wolf

emerald
08-12-2007, 12:15
Commandment 12 (in part): To be true great, more hikers are needed. Only then can one become GREAT.

Wolf

:-? The better to worship thine divine holiness!:o Thou art true G RE-AT! I always wondered what it might be like to take the GRE and I may never know.;)

I wonder if master Wolf turns water into Frosted Flakes at shelters for the weenies to breakfast upon?:D

emerald
08-12-2007, 12:41
Guess gold bond must have fallen into a post crevasse?:rolleyes:

woodsy
08-12-2007, 12:43
Guess gold bond must have fallen into a post crevasse?:rolleyes: :D

Maybe he's out camping:rolleyes:

woodsy
08-12-2007, 12:45
Anyone interested in taking a real hike let me know.

Whadaya say we head up Bigelow in January and bust up some snowshoes!

Route Step
08-12-2007, 13:56
Wolf, I seem to recall you borrowing a water bottle once out on the trail. How does that square with your statement in post # 63?

Wolf - 23000
08-12-2007, 18:19
Wolf, I seem to recall you borrowing a water bottle once out on the trail. How does that square with your statement in post # 63?

When??? I'm sorry if I don't recall someone lending me their water bottle but I don't? Could you please refresh my memory.

Wolf

neo
08-12-2007, 18:31
Wolf’s Commandments

:D then if ya dont ask i will not tell you i am carrying a cell phone
i bet you dont like kids or have any if family is not important to you
:cool: neo

neo
08-12-2007, 18:33
why don't you throw in though shall hike in an astronaut suit

:D or thalt shall not hike with a glucometer or insnsulin pen if your are a diabetic like me lol:cool: neo

neo
08-12-2007, 18:34

:D i have to agree:cool: neo

Wolf - 23000
08-12-2007, 18:34
Whadaya say we head up Bigelow in January and bust up some snowshoes!

Na, I was thinking of something a little harder. The Bigelow in January, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. When I came down off the Bigelows, there was a well broken trail coming down from day hikers who have hiked to the top and back. A good hike, yes but hardly a challenge.

I was thinking of some more.

Wolf

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 01:29
Na, I was thinking of something a little harder. The Bigelow in January, been there, done that, got the T-shirt. When I came down off the Bigelows, there was a well broken trail coming down from day hikers who have hiked to the top and back. A good hike, yes but hardly a challenge.

I was thinking of some more.

Wolf

As it is written:

OK, OK, quit pulling our legs.

Hikers. They're like collies. Great dogs, but if you don't keep them busy, they're just trouble looking for a place to happen.

Go take a great big I-don't-need-no-stinkin'-approval hike in the woods, ya big ornery galoot! Or run a mini-marathon with a pack on or something. The day is coming sooner than you think, big guy, when the hiker with the scythe starts making withdrawals on that big mass of muscle that carries you around. There will be time enough for this nonsense when you get old and you don't have the knees for anything but 5 milers and old stories about the old days.

Jimmers
08-13-2007, 01:42
At the risk of ruining a truly funny thread.......has anyone noticed that this is in the HUMOR forum??;) The tongue planted firmly in cheek variety?:D

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 01:50
At the risk of ruining a truly funny thread.......has anyone noticed that this is in the HUMOR forum??;) The tongue planted firmly in cheek variety?:D

I didn't mean to ruin the thread by inviting Death in....but haven't you've seen the cartoon with the ol' guy in the black robes? He's showing up and saying "The tone in your legs, your ability to sleep soundly on the ground, half of your hair, and the shape of your butt, hand it over. Oh, and the knees. I'll take the knees. The rest you can keep."

Bong, bong, don't ask for whom the bell tolls. Hit the trail, it tolls for thee.

Jimmers
08-13-2007, 02:27
I didn't mean to ruin the thread by inviting Death in....but haven't you've seen the cartoon with the ol' guy in the black robes? He's showing up and saying "The tone in your legs, your ability to sleep soundly on the ground, half of your hair, and the shape of your butt, hand it over. Oh, and the knees. I'll take the knees. The rest you can keep."

Bong, bong, don't ask for whom the bell tolls. Hit the trail, it tolls for thee.

Well that's cast rather a gloom over the evening, hasn't it?:p All the more reason to follow the commandments!:banana

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 13:26
Well that's cast rather a gloom over the evening, hasn't it?:p All the more reason to follow the commandments!:banana

Getting old has its down sides, but it beats the alternative....and hey, hiking gives lots of experience in not being a sissy, which is good. Old age ain't for sissies. Sissies die a thousand deaths, but tough old geezers only die once. Or something like that.

I think Wolf is going to make one tough old geezer.

gold bond
08-13-2007, 13:32
[quote=Brrrb Oregon;391725]Getting old has its down sides, but it beats the alternative....and hey, hiking gives lots of experience in not being a sissy, which is good. Old age ain't for sissies. Sissies die a thousand deaths, but tough old geezers only die once. Or something like that.

I think Wolf is going to make one tough old geezer

emerald
08-13-2007, 17:47
gold bond, your creativity is astounding!:rolleyes:

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 17:52
gold bond, your creativity is astounding!:rolleyes:

Some say the 40's are the most creative years.

BTW, what is the youngest age at which a hiker can be counted as a geezer? I don't think Wolf can be counted as a geezer yet, even if you consider the odometer miles. I think commandments ought to be handed down by the geezers.

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 17:55

BTW, what is the youngest age at which a hiker can be counted as a geezer? I don't think Wolf can be counted as a geezer yet, even if you consider the odometer miles. I think commandments ought to be handed down by the geezers.

How about this for a definition?
Geezer: "I used it, and I'll be darned if I didn't lose some of it, anyway."

My dad could out-hike most 30 year olds when he was in his 60s, but he couldn't out-hike what he could do when he was 40.

emerald
08-13-2007, 18:09

gold bond's probably still recovering from that camping trip 2 weekends ago. Camping's been known to make a man old before his time.;)

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 18:12
Camping's been known to make a man old before his time.;)

The only thing worse for that is giving up camping. :D

emerald
08-13-2007, 18:22
The only thing worse for that is giving up camping. :D

Well, maybe I'd camp with you even if I'd be older as a result, since I've never been near enough Mt. Hood to actually see it and have long wondered if it really looks as it does in pictures I've seen.

woodsy
08-13-2007, 18:27
How about this lil blue blaze (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16059&c=member&imageuser=7914%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/9/1/4/scan0004_291877) on Mt Washington Wolf, challenging enough for ya?

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 18:59
Well, maybe I'd camp with you even if I'd be older as a result, since I've never been near enough Mt. Hood to actually see it and have long wondered if it really looks as it does in pictures I've seen.

Well, most of the pictures you've seen were probably taken from the Rose Garden in Portland (the one with the actual flowers, not the arena), so camping isn't required. People summit from the Timberline Lodge side without ever putting a bag on the ground. It does really look like the pictures, though. My favorite time to hike it is July or very early in August. The snow tends to be gone and the lupine and other wildflowers are great.

One of our favorite old hikes is gone, though. There was a huge slide last winter or spring, where the trail from Cloud Cap crossed Eliot Creek. Where there used to be a multi-switchback trail coming off the moraine to a bridge, there is now a 50-75 foot dropoff.

Hike it today, kids. It is a new trail every day. You never know.

emerald
08-13-2007, 19:32
One of our favorite old hikes is gone, though. There was a huge slide last winter or spring, where the trail from Cloud Cap crossed Eliot Creek. Where there used to be a multi-switchback trail coming off the moraine to a bridge, there is now a 50-75 foot dropoff.

It's good you hiked that trail while you still could. No wonder you despise hikers who cut switchbacks!

Brrrb Oregon
08-13-2007, 19:51
It's good you hiked that trail while you still could. No wonder you despise hikers who cut switchbacks!

Oh, I don't despise them. I just despise the erosion....which this trail, being entirely made of scree, really didn't have.

Ol' Mama Nature was the author of that slide. You can respect Nature and refuse to mistreat her, but you really can't preserve her.

gold bond
08-14-2007, 09:09
I have got to learn how to do this quote thingy!!! It's killing me...hey that's wahat made me a geezer...trying to do the quote thingy!
One day I'll learn hoe to quote just one sentence or whatever as all you pro's do.
Sorry I've been off alot lately...we have set records for high temps here last week and this week ain't looking much better. We have had temps ranging from 102 Deg-108 Deg....I have seen the thermometers go as high as 110-112! So being in the Air Conditioning business I have been jumping! Alot of late nights and weekends!
As Arnold said...I'll be Bock!!!

emerald
08-14-2007, 09:29
Good morning, gold bond. It warms my heart to hear you're surviving the heat and that business is good. I regret deeply I won't have time to mess with you anytime soon.:(

Mags
08-14-2007, 10:06
I'm going "Couch to Fridge" in 2007. A friend plans on beating that record and going the "Couch to Fridge" yo-yo attempt.

Tough..but I think I am up for it.

emerald
08-14-2007, 12:04
Good morning, gold bond. It warms my heart to hear you're surviving the heat and that business is good. I regret deeply I won't have time to mess with you anytime soon.:(

Your proposal you PMed me in which you suggested we race and afterwards you prepare me a meal on the trail fit for a king was true great.;)

It's no wonder barred owls flock to the southern Appalachians and descend upon campsites at dusk wondering "who, who, who, who, who cooks for you?" I now know who they're seeking, gold bond. They're looking for you!

Were you to hook up with Dances with Mice, a genuine hootenanny would ensue.:D

Gray Blazer
08-14-2007, 12:32
#13 Thou shalt not have any victim mentality before me while hiking the AT.

I met a guy at Muskrat Creek shelter this past summer. I don't know how he made it that far. He had to have someone carry his pack up that last hill NOBO. He complained that he had had two knee replacements (one for each leg I assume). No one had told him about the long uphill walks (come on....what's wrong with you people?) :rolleyes: AND he wanted to know if there were any rocks on the way down to Deep Gap. I didn't tell him about the bear.:D
BTW Wolf, Thanks again for carrying my guitar up to Rocky Bald. I still got that pic of you and Sandman in my WB gallery (another shameless attempt to get people to look at my photos). Peace and love.......JJ

Wolf - 23000
08-14-2007, 16:28
[quote=Brrrb Oregon;391725]Getting old has its down sides, but it beats the alternative....and hey, hiking gives lots of experience in not being a sissy, which is good. Old age ain't for sissies. Sissies die a thousand deaths, but tough old geezers only die once. Or something like that.

I think Wolf is going to make one tough old geezer

Yea, tell me about it. I'm not really that old and already have guys under me half my age complaining I'm to tough or complaining they can't keep up.:-?

Wolf