PDA

View Full Version : Bear bells and hikers

woodsy
08-03-2007, 10:37
A guy's going on a hiking vacation through the mountains Out West. Before setting off into the boonies, he stops into a small general store to get some supplies. After picking out the rest of his provisions, he asks the old store owner, "Say, Mister, I'm going hiking up in the mountains, and I was wondering; do you have any bears around here?"
"Yup," replies the owner. "What kind?" asks the hiker. "Well, we got black bears and we got grizzlies," he replies.
"I see," says the hiker. "Do you have any of those bear bells?" "What do you mean?" asks the store owner.
"You know," replies the hiker, "those little tinkle-bells that people wear in bear country to warn the bears that they are coming,
so they don't surprise the bears and get attacked."
"Oh yeah," replies the owner. "They're over there," he says, pointing to a shelf on the other side of the store. The hiker selects a couple of the bells and takes them to the counter to pay for them.
"Tell me something, Mister," the hiker inquires, "how can you tell when you're in bear territory, anyway?"
"By the scat," the old fellow replies, ringing up the hiker's purchases.
"Well, um, how can I tell if it's grizzly territory or black bear territory?" the hiker asks.
"By the scat," the store owner replies.
"Well, what's the difference?" asks the hiker. "I mean, what's different between grizzly scat and black bear scat?"
"The stuff that's in it," replies the store owner.
Getting a little frustrated, the hiker asks, "OK, so what's in grizzly bear scat that isn't in black bear scat?" he asks, an impatient tone in his voice.
"Bear bells," replies the old man as he hands the hiker his purchases.

DeeHiker
08-03-2007, 11:48
That's funny! Actually, I was thinking about buying a bear bell to put on my hiking stick. I wonder if it really warns a bear....I don't want to be making alot of noise and annoying other hikers. Have you ever used a bear bell?

Rainman
08-03-2007, 11:51
I actually bought one of these once (and never used it). It made my wife feel better. It made my hiker buddies laugh out loud. We call them "Dinner Bells."

woodsy
08-03-2007, 11:54
Nope, wouldn't want to attract unwanted(hungry) company. Hence, walk softly and carry big stick.

ATSeamstress
08-03-2007, 12:00
I never wore them until I hiked the Smokies. I wore them on my shoes, and when I was alone, I talked to myself a sang a lot. I felt pretty foolish. One night at a shelter several hikers were sitting around having dinner. Down the trail, we heard the jingle of bear bells. In hiked a young, athletic man who had huge bells on his shoes. I didn't feel so foolish after that.

SteveJ
08-03-2007, 15:27
I actually bought one of these once (and never used it). It made my wife feel better. It made my hiker buddies laugh out loud. We call them "Dinner Bells."

A couple of weeks ago, I hiked, on and off, with Tinkerbell - a lady section hiking GA. She was, of course, named Tinkerbell because of her bear bells...

I was hiking, head-down, and came upon Tinkerbell and her hiking partner. They were excited, as Tinkerbell had just walked past a bear just 20 ft off the trail. She noticed something out of the corner of her eye, looked back, and saw a bear digging and eating something - presumably grubs. As she looked back, she saw it glance up at her. As she stopped to get a better look, it ambled away....

Did the bells scare the bear off? Obviously not... Did the bells let the bear know she was coming so that it wasn't surprised? presumably.....

superman
08-03-2007, 16:18
I have a bear bell but it gets on my nerves. It's easier to just hike with someone that you can out run. You don't have be fast...you just have to faster than the person you're hiking with.:)

Midway Sam
08-03-2007, 16:22
My bear bell experience...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=343877&postcount=12

I still chuckle everytime I think of that guy.

Landshark
08-16-2007, 16:40
I don't use bear bells, I figure most bears have read Pavlov.

DavidNH
08-16-2007, 16:48
Woodsy...this post of yours is classic! got a good chucke!

I suspect bear bells will drive hikers away but surely not the bears.

David

woodsy
08-16-2007, 16:55
Might as well just call them bells "Dinner bells" seeing that they are often found in Bear scat.

wrongway_08
08-16-2007, 16:59
Think a better use would be to tie them on your food bag, this way you dont have to guess/wonder when the bear took your food - you can watch him take it after he wakes you with the bell! :)

wrongway_08
08-16-2007, 17:01
My bear bell experience...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=343877&postcount=12

I still chuckle everytime I think of that guy.

Thats funny!:D

Crazy Legs
08-16-2007, 17:12
Think a better use would be to tie them on your food bag, this way you dont have to guess/wonder when the bear took your food - you can watch him take it after he wakes you with the bell! :)

Hey -- Good Idea! Personally, I try to be as silent as possible while hiking. I rather enjoy the wildlife I come across this way. Even if it is the occasional bear. This is also why bean are never apart of my hiking diet. ;)

weary
08-16-2007, 18:00
....."Bear bells," replies the old man as he hands the hiker his purchases.
An old one, but still a cold one (well cool anyway)

wrongway_08
08-16-2007, 20:48
The more wild life the better! No bear bells for me.

woodsy
08-16-2007, 21:38
Black Bears and nude hiking (information)

http://nudehiker.wordpress.com/2005/05/28/backpacking-into-black-bear-habitat/

RockStar
08-16-2007, 22:54
Black Bears and nude hiking (information)

http://nudehiker.wordpress.com/2005/05/28/backpacking-into-black-bear-habitat/

ROFLMAO I think that guy has an Albino Leech on his groin area? I didn't think you had to worry about those in winter?:eek: ;)

Monkeyboy
08-16-2007, 23:22
Not only you can tell the scat by the bear bells, but also by the overpowering smell of pepper spray....

OldStormcrow
09-04-2007, 11:42
I've always been afraid I would slip and fall on my bells, thereby inflicting serious pain upon my person......

Rainman
09-04-2007, 12:21
You just need to pack them in a stronger bag.