PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the JMT

Marta
08-03-2007, 12:16
Hello, gang--

I'm at VVR, about halfway through the JMT hike. I keep running into AT veterans. I started with Rocky and Swamp Fox and Babysteps. Yesterday Metric caught up with us.

So far, so good. The scenery and the weather are amazing!

Cheers to all,
Marta/Five-Leaf

Pacific Tortuga
08-03-2007, 12:37
Have you gone through Thousand Island Lake area yet. I hear there is a bear problem. OK, so there is always a bear prob/

this one tore through a tent and with the extrem lack of rain, natural food is scarse. Keep your food safe, place it near a hiker you don't like :)

MOWGLI
08-03-2007, 12:41
Have you gone through Thousand Island Lake area yet. I hear there is a bear problem. OK, so there is always a bear prob/

this one tore through a tent and with the extrem lack of rain, natural food is scarse. Keep your food safe, place it near a hiker you don't like :)

VVR is south of 1000 Island Lakes, so she would be beyond there already.

Ender
08-03-2007, 12:47
FYI, I had my mp3 player stolen when I was at VVR, so keep an eye on your stuff there.

That, and don't do what I did there an consume an entire bottle of wine, especially when you aren't used to drinking at altitude. I could have handled that down here at sea level, but not up there :p

The food there is good though. And enjoy your upcoming section! It's very pretty.

Pacific Tortuga
08-03-2007, 12:49
I knew you would know, I have not been there for some time and you knocked it out last year. I was not sure what direction she was hiking.

Time To Fly 97
08-03-2007, 12:51
VVR is still open? Butch passed awy in 2001. Wasn't sure if they would keep going with that.

MARTA - keep your eyes opened for pack-train chefs. I had some of the best Turkey I have ever had when one of them showed up at VVR to share.

Very different that the AT, no? May you see beautiful things at every turn.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Mags
08-03-2007, 14:44
Enjoy the JMT. Mile for mile, I think it is the most gorgeous stretch of hiking I've ever done.

Good stuff.

Cookerhiker
08-03-2007, 15:10
I very much enjoyed my hike on the JMT last year even though I didn't finish. I went a month later than you. How's the snowpack? Even a month later, I still had to trek over some snowfields.

Lone Wolf
08-10-2007, 08:31
Enjoy the JMT. Mile for mile, I think it is the most gorgeous stretch of hiking I've ever done.

Good stuff.

that'll be our next hike. finally tired of east coast hiking. The Long Trail hasn't been fun. lots and lots of PUD, rocks, roots, rain and viewless peaks

Mags
08-10-2007, 10:50
that'll be our next hike. finally tired of east coast hiking. The Long Trail hasn't been fun. lots and lots of PUD, rocks, roots, rain and viewless peaks

You'll love it out West, esp. on the JMT. Few PUDs, not many rocky and rooty trails. Switchbacked trail for easy hiking, AWESOME views.

Come out west my friend. :)

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2007, 12:09
What is a PUD?

Happy hiking!

TTF

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-10-2007, 12:13
PUD = Pointless Up and Downs