PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos in Georgia?

therumpus
08-03-2007, 19:08
I am proud to say that I hike my first section of what I hope is many more two weeks ago. For me, I am hooked and already planning next years leg. Never would I imagine that "hiking" would consume me. :)

Since I have no more than a few days on the trail, it is hard to know if what I experienced is the norm or a fluke. For example, I might have encountered one mosquito in three days at the beginning of my journey. Is this accurate for a mid/late July hike in Georgia? Next year, if I plan around the same time can I expect more of the same?

I searched the other threads for keywords: mosquitos and georgia, but all kept coming up as NE not Georgia. Any info out there?

Best!

FatMan
08-03-2007, 19:44
The Georgia Mountains are pretty much mosquito free. I have property at Grassy Gap (near Gooch Gap) and have never been biten by one.

And the reason is that they all live in the backyard of my house in suburban Atlanta.;)

scope
08-03-2007, 19:54
I can vouch for the lack of mosquitos on the trail in Ga (I assume its that way in all mountainous areas). However, I do not like hiking in summer due to plant growth along the trail and other bugs, namely bees and horseflys. Blue Mt. shelter had them bad last summer, but I was there in April and no bees at all. Fall through Spring I would say you don't need any bug protection in Ga.

oldfivetango
08-03-2007, 20:00
We had an extreme drought in the late spring to early summer in the
Southeast.Could have been a factor.
Oldfivetango

thestin
08-03-2007, 20:24
Skeeters aren't a real problem on the AT in Georgia. Not that much standing water for eggs to develop in.

Gnats are another story.

therumpus
08-03-2007, 21:50
I thought so. It is a strange concept (being Mosquito free). Not that I am complaining. :)

However, that helps lighten my pack for my next trip. No need for netting or ENO net. Not that I am an ultralight packer but I could believe how fast the so called ounces added up. I loved the work out but I would rather have worked out with longer miles with a lighter pack. But then again, I assume everyone feels this way.

DavidNH
08-03-2007, 22:14
Isnt Georgia mostly a non issue mosquito wise because of the time of year most hikers go through this state (early spring)? Wouldn't there be a lot of mosquitoes in June ? I don't know..just posing the question. I can say that Vt NH and ME would be hell in early June!

david

thestin
08-03-2007, 22:37
As I stated before, not enough standing water for there to be a lot of mosquitoes. A lot more marshy areas in the states you mentioned.

Gnats and horse flies can be a nuisance.

Pokey2006
08-04-2007, 06:45
I would think Georgia also has a longer insect season than those of us have in New England -- bugs in the north tend to be more agressive because they have, like, only two days of summer to get their fill of mammal blood before they have to hibernate again. A longer season means the bugs don't have to be so brutal.

I was oh, so pleasantly surprised by the lack of mosquitoes along the majority of the trail in the south. Some people complained about the gnats, but those are nothing compared with the skeeters and black flies of New England! Gnats actually respond to a tiny spritz of DEET on the bandana. Bugs in New England don't respond at all to anything.

therumpus
05-05-2008, 11:58
I wanted to move this up to the top again.

Any news out there for mosquitos in Georgia?

Thanks!

take-a-knee
05-05-2008, 12:21
I thought so. It is a strange concept (being Mosquito free). Not that I am complaining. :)

However, that helps lighten my pack for my next trip. No need for netting or ENO net. Not that I am an ultralight packer but I could believe how fast the so called ounces added up. I loved the work out but I would rather have worked out with longer miles with a lighter pack. But then again, I assume everyone feels this way.

Take the net dude, mosquitos aren't the only bugs.

Bulldawg
05-05-2008, 12:34
I wanted to move this up to the top again.

Any news out there for mosquitos in Georgia?

Thanks!

I was out this past week and I can say I have three bites on my legs. But I could have gotten those once I got home. I can say I did not see any mosquitoes, but the gnats are starting to swarm pretty good. I went through spots that had virtually zero gnats and then areas where they were horrible. But at least gnats don't bite. Not these anyway. They are more of a nuisance.

Rain Man
05-05-2008, 14:09
Here's a photo from August 2, 2003, at Woody Gap, GA. My daughter Grass with mosquito netting on, but only posing for a fun photo. The netting was not needed during our entire hike from Springer to Neels Gap, July 31 to August 3, 2003.

Grass modeling head netting (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1342&catid=member&imageuser=1293)

Not only did we have no bug problem, no real problem with over-grown vegetation either. Nor with the heat. I think the high for the whole hike was 74 or 76.

We did need the bug netting last July in the Shenandoah National Park, but only one day out of an entire week. Still, it was worth it when we needed it.

Rain:sunMan

leeki pole
05-05-2008, 14:39
It's really weird, but we're on the same latitude as Springer, albeit 200 miles west, and the drought must have made a significant impact on the 'skeeter population. I haven't seen one, and I spend a good bit of time outdoors early and late, prime time for those little buggers. Usually this time of year they're really active. Ticks, however, are very bad this year. I rarely get them (my wife is a tick magnet) but I've had problems already with me and my dogs and I keep Frontline on them religiously. So check close for those. Deer ticks are especially bad this year. Poison ivy is very prevalent as well. Sorry if I digressed a bit, but just want to give you a heads up.

Gaiter
05-05-2008, 16:22
an occasional gin and tonic keeps the skeeters away (i think i have mentioned this on another skeeter thread) i was one of those were if there was a group of 5 people standing around outside, i'd get 20+ bites and the other 4 would get maybe 5bites, then someone suggested drinking gin, and sure enough it works

peanuts
05-05-2008, 16:24
mmmm, never thought of gin as skeeter deterrent...
note to self, pack some gin:yea baby!!!

leeki pole
05-05-2008, 17:32
an occasional gin and tonic keeps the skeeters away (i think i have mentioned this on another skeeter thread) i was one of those were if there was a group of 5 people standing around outside, i'd get 20+ bites and the other 4 would get maybe 5bites, then someone suggested drinking gin, and sure enough it works
I think it's the juniper berries in the gin and the quinine in the tonic, if memory serves.

OwlsRevenge
05-13-2008, 22:08
Actually, the North Georgia Mtns are pretty much gnat free too. I guess if you've never lived below the "gnat line" you perhaps don't really know what it's like to really, reaaaaallly have gnats goin' crazy all around you! :)

Living 45 min. from Springer Mtn, and fishing in the n. ga mtns for most of my adult life, I can tell you that getting a mosquito bite while in our mountains is as rare as seeing a coyote. Maybe more rare, come to think of it. I've actually seen a coyote near Three Forks, but don't ever recall being bitten by a skeeter in all the years I've been fishin' up here. Like the other poster said - for skeeters you need calm water for them to reproduce....and there's not much standing water around the area...esp. in the last 3 years of extreme drought.

Thankfully, this year we've had more rain. But I still don't think you'll be bothered by skeeters. if you are, just yell and jump around alot. Always works for me, here at home. :)

take-a-knee
05-13-2008, 22:21
Actually, the North Georgia Mtns are pretty much gnat free too. I guess if you've never lived below the "gnat line" you perhaps don't really know what it's like to really, reaaaaallly have gnats goin' crazy all around you! :)

Living 45 min. from Springer Mtn, and fishing in the n. ga mtns for most of my adult life, I can tell you that getting a mosquito bite while in our mountains is as rare as seeing a coyote. Maybe more rare, come to think of it. I've actually seen a coyote near Three Forks, but don't ever recall being bitten by a skeeter in all the years I've been fishin' up here. Like the other poster said - for skeeters you need calm water for them to reproduce....and there's not much standing water around the area...esp. in the last 3 years of extreme drought.

Thankfully, this year we've had more rain. But I still don't think you'll be bothered by skeeters. if you are, just yell and jump around alot. Always works for me, here at home. :)

No gnats up there but I was eaten alive by noseeums north of Dicks Creek one summer. The guy I was hiking with was from the Adirondacks and he called them "punkies". The were coming through the insect screen on my tent.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 22:23
this is my kind of advice!

OwlsRevenge
05-13-2008, 22:33
No gnats up there but I was eaten alive by noseeums north of Dicks Creek one summer. The guy I was hiking with was from the Adirondacks and he called them "punkies". The were coming through the insect screen on my tent.

Yep. You are right. I have had one adventure with these little pests....actually made me leave the stream I was fishing, head to the car and drive an hour to another stream. Luckily, the second fishin' spot was no-see-um free.

thanks - i did forget about those little buggers...I'm not sure but I don't think they are around for more than a week or two though....thank God!

ScubaDooba
05-19-2008, 14:21
I'm a magnet for biting insects. The noseeums ate me alive one evening. I was under a tarp but slept with a mosquito headnet. They got right through that thing. When I woke up, it looked like a had chicken pox. LOL

If you're going to carry netting, you might as well make it noseeum netting.

I may have to give the gin&tonic a try! Best advice yet!

Bulldawg
05-19-2008, 22:16
I am about 25-30 miles south east of the AT here in Georgia and got ate alive tonight working in the garden!

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2008, 00:02
Actually, the North Georgia Mtns are pretty much gnat free too. I guess if you've never lived below the "gnat line" you perhaps don't really know what it's like to really, reaaaaallly have gnats goin' crazy all around you!

Gnat line? They forgot to draw a line around New England. If it bites and sucks blood, i think we got 'em!
We are lucky in most of the more northern areas not to have anywhere near the tick problems found elsewhere though.

take-a-knee
05-20-2008, 01:19
Gnat line? They forgot to draw a line around New England. If it bites and sucks blood, i think we got 'em!
We are lucky in most of the more northern areas not to have anywhere near the tick problems found elsewhere though.

IIRC Gnats reproduce most anywhere sandy soils are prevalant. I live right on the "Gnat Line" in GA, the fall line between the coastal plain (sandy soil) and the piedmont (rocky soil). In the piedmont gnats are rarely encountered.

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2008, 07:16
Okay, this dumb yankee looked it up and learned something about GA, bugs, and culture. Gnat line. Damn, an etymology and entomology lesson all in one.:-? (I had to look those up to make sure I spelt 'em right.) ;) Only here on WB do you learn stuff like this. :)

Bare Bear
05-20-2008, 13:21
GIN as repellent huh?
I will volunteer for the extensive testing needed. I will be back in Ga woods in June for two weeks then drive to Rocky Mount, NC and whenever possible giving the driving will try the theory.