PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna get fussed at...

Passionphish
08-03-2007, 21:27
But I was wondering if anyone has hiked with an Alice pack? And if anyone knows the weight and volume of the pack. I can't find that anywhere!!! Its just an idea. So don't go kicking me.

atraildreamer
08-03-2007, 21:41
Check out Sgt Rock's site at www.hikinghq.net (http://www.hikinghq.net) and do a search on Alice packs. I know that they have been discussed there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2007, 21:41
I found a large ALICE pack on ebay that list the shipping weight as 16 lbs.:

Description: The Large pack is used to carry the existence load with or without a frame. The main bag closes by means of a drawstring secured by a plastic cord lock. The top flap which protects this closure has a pocket with an outside entrance through a Velcro sealed closure. This flap is secured by two straps which completely encircle the pack and which are fastened by buckles located between the outside pockets on the main bag. There are six of these pockets on the outside, the flaps of which are equipped with strap and buckle adjustable closures and with snap fasteners for quick access. These pockets are tunneled with an equipment hanger above each. There is a pocket in the inside of the main pack, against the back There are drainage eyelets in the bottom of the main pack and the outside pockets. At the top of each strap there is a riveted metal hook, and a metal loop at the bottom. The capacity is approximately 70 lbs..
Includes: Heavy Duty Lightweight Aluminum Frame, GOOD Large Alice Pack, GOOD Padded Shoulder Straps and GOOD Quick Release Belt with Kidney Pad.

SPECS:
• Large internal packsack and radio compartment
• Compression straps
• Three large external cargo pockets w/cinching buckles
• Three small accessory pockets
• Top Flap with Velcroฎ closing internal pocket
• Conventional lashing or gear attachment patches.
• Approximate Overall Dimensions: 22'' x 20'' x19'' (55.9 x 51 x 48cm)
• Load Capacity: 70lbs/31.8kg.
• Made with spec nylon DWR duck.

emerald
08-03-2007, 21:45
I PMed Brother in Arms the link to your thread. He started south from Katahdin in June, but left the A.T. to accept a job offer.

I believe he indicated he would carry the pack you mentioned. He may not be WhiteBlazing at this time. If he is, he'd probably be able to answer your questions. If not, someone else may be able to help you.

The Old Fhart
08-03-2007, 21:58
In 1987 there was an exRanger with an Alice pack who started the same time I did at Nimblewill Gap but I never saw him after the summit of springer. I believe that packs have advanced greatly since the Alice pack was introduced plus it had different design parameters being made for combat operations. Given a choice, I'd get a different pack, unless you want to use that pack for some specific reason.

Passionphish
08-03-2007, 22:16
No specific reason. Just kicking the idea around. Its robust, simple, easy to pack. The ones I've seen are cheap. And I doubt I would have to replace it half way through. I don't know... Was curious.

Nest
08-04-2007, 02:08
I've used one for hiking. Others are currently hiking with packs that weigh more. Mine is stored away too deep to get to and weigh, but I would say it's worth considering. It is a little tougher (heavier) than most externals because it is designed for combat, but I think that's just getting into ounces. Roough guess would be around 6 or 7 lbs. Again, some Gregory's weigh that much.

hopefulhiker
08-04-2007, 07:36
I hiked with a guy for a while who used one in 05.. His pack weighed close to seventy lbs.. He had to get off the trail for good in VA because of some kind of injury involving the bones in the heel of his foot.. It was just too much weight on the foot I think... I prefer to go light weight..
But if you are trying to prove something.. go for it....

Just Jeff
08-04-2007, 10:29
There are some reviews at www.backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org).

Passionphish
08-04-2007, 10:31
Thanks for the link Just Jeff! I should have checked there first!

SoonerTex
08-04-2007, 10:46
I just checked the weight of my Alice pack and it was about 5 lbs. I do not have a frame for it. I use it for trips of one or two days. I think it would probably hold enough gear, but it is heavy. Others on this site would know better, as I have not yet done a thru. What I don't like is, without a frame, the straps really tear up the shoulders, to a point of having to take pack off to rest. I find myself carrying the pack over one shoulder and switching so I don't have to stop. I like the pack because it is easy for me to organize my gear, which is all about personel preferences.
SoonerTex

Passionphish
08-04-2007, 10:57
Thanks guys for your info. I have now read a review and realized that this was better in my head than it would be on my feet. I'll keep looking!!!!

Nearly Normal
08-04-2007, 19:35
I've been told that a few in the military sent to Afgan land switch to out of pocket gear. The stuff hikers use is lighter.
Has anyone else heard this?

Nearly Normal

Brother in Arms
08-11-2007, 15:38
I hiked from Katahdin to carratunk with a Meduim Alice Pack. And I found it was decent, but not perfect. The fact that it is simple was nice, 3 large outside pockets (kept water in those) one large pocket inside with an ajustable pocket inside of that and that was it. I used an East German folding foam sleeping pad tucked into the part where the frame attaches for a frame. Whick worked very well but got a little hot. I only carried about 30 lbs max though much more could be carried in one if desired but trust me you dont' want to carry more than 30-35 lbs in a meduim ALICE pack. At was about as much as I wanted to carry in that pack. When it got down 20-25 it was a much better, Im not sure I can count as an ultra light pack but definitly a light, but it is definitly very simple which I liked very much. It worked much better without the heavy metal frame which I never inteded to carry! One hiker named Groovasaurus said my pack was the smallest pack of all the southbounders he had seen. It could really carry a large amount of gear, one hiker couldn't believe how much I was carrying inside of it. Its also nice to tie things too, as it has several areas to attach other pouches, socks, water bottles ect. For it to be comfortable you had to pack it correctly after a week on the trail I learned this the hard way. Some days I fought the pack and some days it seemed easy and comfortable to carry. I started paying more attention to how I packed my gear and that made a huge difference. I also wore a riggers belt across my chest but no hip belt and this particular method worked well for the meduim Alice pack and was fairly comfortable but your chest and shoulders carried most of the wieght. One thing I found I didn't like about it was the shoulder straps they didn't have much padding which was ok because I hate bulky shoulder straps. But they seemed to want to turn in alot so I taped the straps that held them in place with gorilla tape and that fixed the problem. But I still have visible scars from where the right pack strap cut into my right shoulder. Overal a good and strong pack very very durable. But it is definitly old school. At one time I considered making a light wiegh wooden pack frame for it while I was on the trail there was a lot of dog wood and striped maple which is light and supple and I toyed with making a Iroqouis style pack frame for it but after I gave out some trail magic and ate some food this lightened the pack and made it much better to carry. I think the basic design of the pockets and main bag are very good, but the suspension system needs work. My field expediant frame worked very well but was the worlds thinest sleeping pad but I didn't mind. One hiker related that my sleeping pad was thinner than a dunkin doughnuts styrofoam cup.

If anyone has any questions about the Meduim ALICE pack let me know and I'll tell you what I can.

Thanks for the PM shades

Brother in Arms

emerald
08-11-2007, 18:50
Thanks for the PM shades

You're welcome, my friend. Hope your new job is everything you had hoped it would be!;)

buckowens
08-12-2007, 18:57
I've been told that a few in the military sent to Afgan land switch to out of pocket gear. The stuff hikers use is lighter.
Has anyone else heard this?

Nearly Normal

That is a fact as an SF buddy of mine did that himself a few years ago. And of course they get pretty good gear to begin with, but he was going in the mountains and wanted to be lighter.

When I sectioned in June there was a guy using an Alice pack. He was heavy, but finished GA with Roo and I... If you are on a budget, the military has been successfully rucking around heavy packs for years. It is one way to go if you cannot afford a nice light one. There are a bunch of lightweight weenies with the lightest gear who quit every year, so I am not convinced that gear will get you there. It does not for me, but I do like being lighter!!!:D

FFTorched
08-12-2007, 20:56
I was just discussing why the Army doesn't get away from ALICE packs or the new one MOLLIES. I think if companies like Osprey, Mountain Hardware, Hammersmith and others would just try and make gear the Military they could earn some good contracts. I was discussing it with a Sgt. of mine on a 24 hour duty and he agreed with me that the civillian stuff is up the the challege in many ways it's just they don't try and market to the military whereas the companies that make ALICE and MOLLIES hold the monopoly. I find the ALICE unbearable and because of it's rigid design. As a medic I find that lot of people that do extensive ruck marching seem to come down with stress fractures and other injuries, because the military expects us to cary a combat load of 100+lbs with body armor and all. Simply it takes a severe toll on the body.

neo
08-12-2007, 21:33
But I was wondering if anyone has hiked with an Alice pack? And if anyone knows the weight and volume of the pack. I can't find that anywhere!!! Its just an idea. So don't go kicking me.

yep i hiked from amicolafalls ga to deep gap in nc with a large alice pack and frame,total pack wieght was 60 lbs,i never let my pack wieght get over 30 lbs,i ditched the alice pack,i hike from deep gap in nc to pinkham notch nh with a golite gust or a equinox katahdin.:cool: neo

greentick
08-13-2007, 02:46
I carried an ALICE in Afcrapastan. More out of familiarity than anything else. I used the daypack from the molle system for my bugout vehicle pack until it got too cold then I just carried the lg ruck. Dont be fooled by the 70# weight limit. I have had 125# of aidbag, beans, bullets and batteries in one before. Some are made better than others. Some spontaneously decompensate at that weight. I was also issued a SPEAR system made by Gregory/Bianchi. Basically a Gregory expedition pack with a bunch of detachable pockets, rated for 125#.

unl1988
08-13-2007, 09:56
My two cents worth - -

After 15 years of carrying the ALICE either as a Light Infantryman (lived out of the ruck) or as an SF guy (also lived out of the ruck) I would recommend avoiding the pack for a number of reasons. My choiropractor appreciates the extra business that the ALICE pack has brought to him.

1. The pack was designed to carry very heavy loads (70 lbs would be light in the infantry or SF world) for mediumish distances. It was also designed for extreme durability, so the pack itself is very heavy. You have to watch out, you can put a whole lot of stuff in it.

2. The frame was engineered to withstand a very heavy load, especially during airborne operations (the opening shock of a parachute or the impact with the ground), not especially for comfort.

2. The straps were designed with a quick release in them so you could drop your ruck from a prone position. IMHO this weakens the strap over time and you would have to either carry a spare for the left and right, or have them available in your bounce box.

3. In 15 years, I rarely wore the hip strap, it was uncomfortable, and kind of useless.

There are several reasonably priced civilian rucksacks that will be infinitely more comfortable, have adequate durability and will be much lighter than the ALICE.

greentick
08-13-2007, 10:38
...2. The straps were designed with a quick release in them so you could drop your ruck from a prone position. IMHO this weakens the strap over time and you would have to either carry a spare for the left and right, or have them available in your bounce box.

3. In 15 years, I rarely wore the hip strap, it was uncomfortable, and kind of useless.

Everyone generally put a strip of tape around the quick release to prevent accidental inappropriately timed quick release:eek: ... of course this nullifies the quick release part.

Same here 17yrs never used the hip belt. The mentality was being able to drop it quickly if needed. Also, the frame is one size fits all (hehe). In my 20s I never thought about what all that weight was doing to my neck/shoulders/low back. I think about it frequently now....

Where when were you unl1988?

Me: 7th Group 92-95, 20th Group 95-04

scout005
11-14-2007, 21:28
Medium ALICE pack + Coleman/Ramflex plastic frame + mesh back band = the most comfortable backpacking rig I've come across. I also wear a small chest pack which balances the load nicely and let's me get to the items I need quickly.

Just a Hiker
11-14-2007, 21:34
Medium ALICE pack + Coleman/Ramflex plastic frame + mesh back band = the most comfortable backpacking rig I've come across. I also wear a small chest pack which balances the load nicely and let's me get to the items I need quickly.

Plus you can strap your 81mm mortar tripod on in case it's too light!!:banana

scout005
11-14-2007, 21:49
Dude, replace the crap metal frame with a cutdown plastic Coleman/Ramflex frame. Get a mesh back band. Makes it much lighter and really comfortable.

Bearpaw
11-19-2007, 01:03
I used a modified ALICE on the BMT in May 2005 because I wanted a more ventilated pack than my internal frames were allowing me in the heat and humidity.

I had first tried a LuxuryLite pack, which was a fiasco. It was OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced for what I got which was an interesting but only mediocre suspension.

Anyway, I broke out the heavily-padded after-market shoulder straps and hip belt I had used in the Marine Corps (I believe they were from Ranger Joes in Columbus, Georgia) and bought an ALICE with frame for about $35. The setup with my MEDIUM packbag was about 6 pounds. And it was OK for the six days I spent from Springer to the Ocoee. But I only carried about 28 pounds, a pittance compared to what I packed in the Marine Corps. I hiked later that summer with a similar load in my little Mountainsmith Ghost and found it carried more comfortably and vented almost as comfortably, so I haven't played with an external frame since.

BTW, I would GLADLY sell you the after-market suspension pads, frame, a medium AND a large ALICE bag cheap if you're interested! ;)

greentick
11-19-2007, 01:19
Plus you can strap your 81mm mortar tripod on in case it's too light!!:banana

HIGH ANGLE HELL BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former mortar maggot.