PDA

View Full Version : Central Va early Oct temps

stormin norman
08-03-2007, 21:34
Hopefully getting out for a nice hike in early October and in the planning stages right now. My question is - What can I expect the night time temperatures to be? Will I need a 20deg bag or will a 40 deg work? Thanks

thestin
08-03-2007, 21:42
It depends on how cold you sleep. It can get down into the 30s in early October if you get an early cold snap.

Alligator
08-03-2007, 21:53
I'd go with the 20.

Kerosene
08-04-2007, 12:48
Definitely go with the 20. Above 2,000' it will almost certainly get below 50F. The only way I'd go with a 40F bag is if I was carrying enough extra clothing and slept warm enough that I could extend the rating down to freezing.

You can check out average high/low/mean temperatures and record high/low temperatures at www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com). Just remember that most reporting stations are well below the ridgeline where you'll be camping, so consider dropping the average low by 5-15 degrees. Here is a link (http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/daily/USVA0309?climoMonth=10) to October temps for Glasgow, Virginia (just north of Roanoke and about 4 miles from the James Foot Bridge). The record low temp for each day in October is below freezining, while the average low is in the 40s for the first half of the month.

stormin norman
08-04-2007, 23:50
Thanks for the info. Will definately go with the 20 deg bag.

7Sisters
08-08-2007, 06:20
even if you go with a 20 degree bag, remember to take a light stocking cap and light gloves / mittens, full rain gear and a long sleeve non cotton shirt.

While the temps in early Oct can be really warm, if it's avg temps around the 50's that's prime for getting hypothermia during a rain storm.

Enjoy your trip - you are going during a beautiful time (the leaves changing and fall coming).

Route Step
08-09-2007, 20:47
Bring the 20 degree bag and sleep on it till 0200 if it is warm out. I sleep in a tent which gives me a little more protection, but a cap is a good idea. I also wear fleece socks at night.
I just hiked up to the scenic overlook on the North side and half way down on the Priest, and sweated bullets today, but come October it will be a nice hike.