PDA

View Full Version : Straw type water filters

Fenrir
08-03-2007, 23:48
Hey guys, I'm looking for a water filter for my 08 thru, but looking for something not so heavy. Not opposed to using aqua mira, but I've noticed a lot of "filter straw" type things lately, Bota H2On Demand, Lifestraw, and I think so brand called Timberline makes one. The problem is I can't find many reviews on them, I see that some are 1 micron (absolute or variable I don't know), but how do you guys feel about using them on a thru?

Thanks

Tobit
08-04-2007, 06:28
Straw filters are designed for emergency, not daily, use.

- Tobias

Pokey2006
08-04-2007, 07:03
Water filters are heavy. Try to avoid them. In camp, you can either boil your water, or treat it with Aqua Mira (or the like), or both, if it is really questionable. For drinking water while you're hiking, I, myself personally, used a Sawyer water bottle with a squeezable filter inside -- $28 at some Wal-Marts, or you can find it online. Surprised that I didn't see more people using it. I recommend it, because it allows you to "dip and drink" without a waiting period, and without having to carry a 1-pound filter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-04-2007, 08:01
The straws normally filter about 20 gallons of water at 2 microns. The CDC recommends filters be at 1 micron for safety. It does not filter out several things that people use filters to trap -- crypto and pretty much all viruses come immediately to mind.