PDA

View Full Version : Pine Nuts

squirrel bait
10-23-2003, 13:00
My roommate cooks with Pine nuts in an oil based garlic sauce with pasta. I read the labeling (something new to me cause now I want to know how many calories are in everything) and discovered that they are very high in calories. 300 in two tabelspoons. Anybody cook with these or know of any receipes?

Bunchberry
10-23-2003, 14:31
I cook with pine nuts a lot, and also eat them on the trail. An easy recipe that I do at home is to mince a handful of pine nuts and a clove of garlic, and to mix with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and some grated Parmesan; serve over pasta. (It's sort of like pesto without the fresh basil -- winter pesto.) You can add some chopped sundried tomatoes, also. All of these are fine trail foods. I love eating gourmet on the trail!

I also mix pine nuts in with gorp. One issue I've had is that pine nuts can start to go rancid pretty quickly. I don't like pine nuts that are more than a couple of weeks old from when I bought them. I think this may be a problem with the fat content of the nut -- I've also had problems with old macadamia nuts.

This is less of a problem with cool weather hiking, of course.

Happy eating!

DebW
10-23-2003, 16:31
Try couscous mixed with pine nuts and dried cranberries.

enLightened One
03-06-2004, 01:32
One word.....Pesto.

My wife makes this fresh but it can be purchased at the store. Very easy to make, look for recipes. It is primarily made from whole fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, olive oil and parmesean cheese all blended together in a food processor. It is extremely delicious on a number of things such as bread and such but is mainly used to top pasta.

Bon Apetito!

okpik
03-06-2004, 08:51
One word.....Pesto.

Bon Apetito!
One other word, Dehydration?
Think with all that oil I could dry it to a powder and reconstitute it without oil? I love pesto but carry dry, not even oil

smokymtnsteve
03-06-2004, 09:15
you need the oil that is where the calories are. and the flavor.

Doctari
03-07-2004, 10:14
One other word, Dehydration?
Think with all that oil I could dry it to a powder and reconstitute it without oil? I love pesto but carry dry, not even oil

Yes, add a little water first. Then stir in the oil. I have found that Extra virgin Olive oil WITHOUT ANY "CONTAMINATION" (not in food) keeps practicly forever in a sealed bottle. BUT, I have had it go bad in one warm day if anything is added to it. The most calorie dense food we can get is Olive oil, I always carry it.

I carry Extra virgin because it tastes the best. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it. When I reconstitute pesto, Just before I'm ready to eat I add about 1 Tblspoon (in addition to the about 1/2 T to reconstitute) & stir. YUM!

tarbubble
03-08-2004, 15:08
I carry Extra virgin because it tastes the best. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it. When I reconstitute pesto, Just before I'm ready to eat I add about 1 Tblspoon (in addition to the about 1/2 T to reconstitute) & stir. YUM!
extra virgin is also the healthiest for you and is the highest quality oil. first press, cold-pressed extra virgin is top of the line stuff. and yes, dee-licious!

ed bell
10-04-2006, 19:35
Recently had couscous and roasted pine nuts under fresh roasted veggies at the house. Very tasty. I really love pine nuts, does anyone use them on a regular basis while backpacking?

K-Man
10-04-2006, 20:03
I took this recipe from freezerbagcooking.com which includes pine nuts. It was darn delicious.

Moroccan Couscous: In a quart freezer bag put:
2/3 cup couscous
2 Tbl dried chives
1 - 2 Tsp curry powder
1 tsp low sodium chicken bouillon
1 tsp granulated garlic
6 sun dried tomatoes, diced
Handful of pine nuts

Pour in one cup of boiling water. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes in a cozy.

I also brought along a packet of Chinese hot sauce to add to the mix. There was a party on my taste buds that night...

ed bell
10-04-2006, 20:06
I'll have to try that. I was going to start a thread about pine nuts, but I found this one and decided to revive it. Thanks for the input.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-04-2006, 20:41
Pine nuts are a delicious addition to a lot of foods and do add a lot of calories.

sarbar
10-04-2006, 21:11
K-Man, so glad you like it! :) Never thought of adding hot sauce. Methinks I'll add that to the website!