PDA

View Full Version : Looking for company

Suzzz
08-05-2007, 12:57
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a hiking partner for 5 days from Baxter State Park heading south.

Here's the deal....
- I promised myself I'd start the AT the year I turned 40 and guess what? I'm 40.
- Finding a partner has proven harder than I anticipated. Been looking for a year.
- I love hiking but have limited long haul experience.
- I understand everyone has their own pace and have no problem walking alone.
- I am scared %$?&**$# of being alone out there, especially at night time.

So I'm looking for someone who has a few days off in September or October to spend a few days with me on the trail. I'm not looking for a babysitter and will not get upset if that person walks faster than me. As long as we can come to a compromise where the other person would stop and wait for me at the end of the day so we can sleep at the same campsite. I have all my own gear and would prefer no more than 10 miles a day as this will be my first long trip and I don't want to get in over my head. I'm also not a morning person so getting up at 4am is not my idea of fun. I'd prefer to sleep in a little bit and make up that time by walking into the early part of the evening if need be.

I am open to more than one person accompanying me and I have no preference for women or men. My only requirement is that whoever signs up for this remembers that although I've been hiking for years I've never done more than one-nighters. As far as my fear goes... I'm not scared of my own shadow but I am scared of the dark and scared of getting lost. Now whether these fears are justifiable or not they are real to me and that's why I do not want to make this journey alone. I am very brave when there is other people around. I'm also a very easy going person.

Dates are flexible.

iliketacos
08-05-2007, 13:04
Good luck in finding someone suzzzz, I wish I could be out there. If you do go, you will no doubt run into some folks on the trail regardless.

iliketacos
08-05-2007, 13:21
Also, don't worry about the dark/night time and being alone. I heard a good statement or some such thing about the idea that almost everyone gets a case of scared their first night out in the woods alone. The trick is to let it go. As to getting lost I think you will find the trail is very well marked. If you can make it to 40 I think you can handle it imho.

Grinder
08-05-2007, 13:42
Plus,
If you stay around the shelters, the odds of being alone are pretty small. September/ October should have the majority of the NOBO thru hikers coming through. Lots of company for the overnights.

Just a thought

Tom

attroll
08-06-2007, 13:07
The more I read about this, the more excited I get. I can't wait!!!

Attroll, I read the other post you suggested. Are you and Shutterbug planning to start at Mount Katadhin? I really hoped to start from there as this will be the start of my journey and MT K is the official start/end of the AT.
No we are not starting at Mount Katadhin. We are starting most likely at Jo Mary Road and heading south. I did not realize that you were wanting to start at the starting point. Sorry I mentioned it.

Quiet Chuck
08-06-2007, 14:17
50 miles south of Baxter will put you in the 100 mile wilderness area. Not the easyist area to get in and out of. I asume you've made plans for logistics such as pick-up, vehicle, etc. I have hiked that section, as well as driven the logging roads in the past and I attest trailheads & roads are not that easy to get to. For what it's worth, do the hike with or without a partner. Have a good hike, ME is excellent in Sept.

attroll
08-06-2007, 14:23
50 miles south of Baxter will put you in the 100 mile wilderness area. Not the easyist area to get in and out of. I asume you've made plans for logistics such as pick-up, vehicle, etc. I have hiked that section, as well as driven the logging roads in the past and I attest trailheads & roads are not that easy to get to. For what it's worth, do the hike with or without a partner. Have a good hike, ME is excellent in Sept.
I am from Maine and have been to this are through these logging roads many times. The main logging roads are always in very good shape and are maintained. So if you stay on the main logging roads you will be fine driving in. The logistics are pretty easy for us since we are heading southbound. we are going to most likely be dropped of at Jo Mary road and hike back to our cars in Monson.

If your referring to Suzzz then I am sorry for my responce. If you do not have the logistics planned on where and when you going to end your hike in the 100 mile wildersness this could be an issue. I once ended a hike in the 100 mile wilderness at Jo Mary Road and could not get a ride out. There was very little traffic. I walked for 1 1/2 hours heading out and finally got a ride.

Suzzz
08-06-2007, 14:46
Thanks for clarifying that ATTROLL. I still hope to find a hiking buddy and my plan is to leave a car at BSP and another one at the planned exit. If I have to hike alone, I'll more than likely turn around and come back to BSP after 3-4 days. Not my favorite plan but if I'm alone, better be safe than sorry.

Chtaffy
08-06-2007, 22:08
suzzz - I am finishing up the Long Trail in Vermont...hoping to be done in Sept. I might be interested in SB and getting some AT sections done. Let me know when you fine tune your dates.

Lilred
08-06-2007, 22:22
Suzz if part of your fear of the nightime camping are the noises, try using some earplugs. Keeps me from wondering what is going bump in the night when I can't hear it.

Like others have said, you'll probably find lots of folks at shelters. Unless you stealth camp, you probably won't be alone.

Good luck with your hike.

attroll
08-07-2007, 01:57
Suzz, when I am alone and the night noises start getting to me. I start listening to my MP3 player until I fall asleep.

Suzzz
08-07-2007, 08:39
Thanks for all the tips. You guys are awsome!

One of my boots busted open this weekend so I now have to buy a new pair. As soon as I have I'll go on an overnighter by myself and try to stay sane. I'll be going on this hike with or without a partner so I better get with the program. Not to mention that I'll now have to break in a new pair of boots. That's a bummer, I loved my old boots.

attroll
08-07-2007, 13:47
Break in the boots good before the hike. I would start wearing them every day, to and from work, around the house. I would not start a long hike with boots that are not broken in.

Gypsy"04"
08-07-2007, 16:49
Suzzz, I'm also from ME. I might be interested in going to do the wilderness. I did the first 10 miles out of Monson before my son hurt his leg and we had to bail. It's nice up there.

Suzzz
08-09-2007, 22:32
Been shopping for boots all week (both in store and on-line). I haven't bought hiking boots in many years. My oh my, so many choices... I have an excellent pair of hiking shoes and although I have good ankles, I realize I need boots on the AT, especially since I'll be going up Mount Katadhin.

And yes ATTROLL, not to worry I plan to break them in real good before I take them on a hike.

Thanks to all those of you who have offered to accompany me on my journey. I still need to confirm the exact dates with work. Then I'll contact all potential partners and we'll take it from there. Either way, I'll be hiking my first section this year.

tanpuma
08-09-2007, 23:04
hey there good luck to you, are you doing a total of 5 days ? or did I mis read your post.
I can not hike faster than 10 mph due to my physical challenges. I completely understand your limitations.
Have you thought of trying the athletic last boots, they require little break in. Or even approach mid cut boots. I find I am so much more nimble in difficult rock while wearing them.

tanpuma
08-09-2007, 23:11
above post should say 10 mp day not mph

Suzzz
08-10-2007, 06:12
Ha Ha.... Tanpuma, I wondered what kind of physical limitations you might have if "all you can do is 10mph". That doesn't sound like limitation to me. Geeeee! Ha Ha.

Thanks for the tip on the boots, I'll look into it.

Lilred
08-10-2007, 08:34
best advice I ever got for buying boots came from Jaybird. He said to wear them in the store for at least an hour. When I did this, I had store sales people questioning me about where the box was that the boots came in. LOL they were watching me real close....

I ended up buying a pair of Solomons. I'd avoid buying boots online. I've hiked in those Solomons for over 350 miles and have never even had a hot spot, much less a blister.

I haven't been able to find a partner that I know in my 'off trail' life yet either. And I've been looking for three years. I've given up. I have hooked up here at Whiteblaze last year and found a real good hiking partner.
But she's off galavanting around in Italy now......

Have you thought about posting a notice at a local outfitter's store?

weary
08-10-2007, 08:59
Thanks for clarifying that ATTROLL. I still hope to find a hiking buddy and my plan is to leave a car at BSP and another one at the planned exit. If I have to hike alone, I'll more than likely turn around and come back to BSP after 3-4 days. Not my favorite plan but if I'm alone, better be safe than sorry.
I hate to add to your problems. But Baxter frowns on cars parked by people who aren't staying in the park. You may get back and find your car towed to Millinocket -- 25 miles away.

When you register for camping space in the park, enquire about parking possibilities. Yes, you have to register in advance. The chances of finding a vacant spot in September without advanced registrations are pretty slim -- especially on weekends.

Weary

Alligator
08-10-2007, 09:28
Suzzz, I find trips during the full moon to be a bit more peaceful in the night hours. The visibility can be amazing.

Suzzz
08-12-2007, 21:19
Geeee Weary, Could BSP have any more rules?

I planned to take my dog then saw they didn't alow dogs. Then I though I'd go with my motorcycle (my other passion) but saw that bikes aren't aloud either. And now I hear they frown upon cars parked for a few days???

Is it like that in all US Parks? Here is Canada (and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion by implying it's better here) those aren't issues. Dogs are ok as long as they are kept on a leach and all properly licenced motor vehicules are aloud and can be left in designated areas as long as you've registered it and indicated an arrival date.

I understand Parks are fragile environnements and they should be treated with the utmost respect. I'm just asking out of curiosity if all Parks in the US have such strict rules.

In the meantime I'll have to come up with another plan for my car.

little bear
08-13-2007, 00:22
No not all parks in the US are like that....BSP just has a lot of rules, the Smokies are also like that.

Kirby
08-14-2007, 22:56
No not all parks in the US are like that....BSP just has a lot of rules, the Smokies are also like that.

it is for the integrity of the park.

Kirby

Fly By Mike
09-03-2007, 08:33
Suzz the good folks at the AT Cafe and Lodge in Millinocket (Ole Man and NaviGator) are doing a lot of shuttling these days and might be able to help you out. One plan would be to drive in to the park and leave your car at Katahdin Stream while you day hike the mountain. Then get a ride from there around to Abol and hike northbound back to your car. Then drive to Abol and make arrnagements with them there to leave your car there (usually not a problem) while you complete the rest of your hike.

I come and go a lot but if I'm in the area at the time you start your hike I might be able to help you out with transportation and/or join you for a day or two.

julstreehugging
09-13-2007, 19:58
Suzz, are you still looking for a partner to go hiking with? I'm 30 and i've hiked and camped but have not backpacked, i think a 10 mile a day pace sounds great. Looking foward to hearing from you.

Suzzz
09-13-2007, 20:33
Thanks for the offer Julstreehugging,

The answer to your question is yes and no. Meaning that I had to postpone my hike due to a major life changing event... the adoption of a little boy. However I hope to be able to take some time off in June 2008 and then I'll definitely be looking for a hiking partner or partners. So please keep me in mind.

Which part of Ohio are you in? How long of a drive would it be for you to get to Maine?

boarstone
09-13-2007, 22:26
Suzzz: If you only want to do sections of the At thru this area, or do just a short section, PM me here. I do resupply/shuttles for this section. I can be available to come in and get you if you don't want to do 7-10 days at once. I resupply at cooper brook road crossing, Map #2. Figure out what you may end up doing...keep me posted...:welcome