PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot!

Chaco Taco
08-05-2007, 15:46
I leave tommorow for Waynesville, NC then on to Standing Bear. Im starting get concerned about the heat and water situation. Anyone got any info for me??? I know its going to be low 90's Tuesday Wednesday. Is there any water??? I am seeing some isolated storms moving through and am curious about availability at certain spots.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2007, 16:05
While I have not hiked this section lately, I was in that area twice last week and it was raining heavily both times. The temps are running in the high 80s / low 90s with lots of humidity. The creeks I saw did seem to be low so it would not surprise me to find that high elevation springs would be dry.

Perhaps Curtis at Standing Bear could give you an update based on what those staying there have said?

Egads
08-05-2007, 16:49
I just hiked Big Creek to Mt Sterling and found water every 2-3 miles.

See below from the GSMNP.Gov website.

Water Problems - No water available at the following areas:
• Backcountry Campsites 4, 5, 6, 7, 16, 26, 42
• Double Springs Shelter
• Mollies Ridge Shelter
• Russell Field Shelter
• Spence Field Shelter
• Low water at Icewater Springs and Silers Bald

Camel up & tote a heavy pack if going to these areas.

Yes, it was hot & humid. No evaporation, completely wetted out my shirt.

Egads

StarLyte
08-05-2007, 17:23
:banana Have a beautiful hike Chaco! :banana

Chaco Taco
08-06-2007, 07:58
Im a little worried about the water situation. Weather reports are that there are scattered showers through most days. I just dont want to go and have to bail after 3 days. If I cant go past Hot Springs, Im moving on up to Damascus and hike around there for a coupe of days.
See ya'll

Waterbuffalo
08-15-2007, 21:29
I was at the GA/ NC border on monday my temp gauge read 98 deg. good luck

Pennsylvania Rose
08-16-2007, 08:55
This heat is unbelieveable - 99 degrees forcast for today in central KY. I feel for y'all in TN. The kids and I haven't even taken our weekly adventures the past few weeks. Usually we go exploring or creek walking once a week, but the creeks are all dried up. It's too hot to have fun unless you're also wet.

Any info about fire bans?

Chaco Taco
08-17-2007, 18:31
Past Snowbird last week it was in the low-mid 80's. Had to put on a windbreaker at sunrise on Max Patch. Beautiful. When I hit Hot Springs, things went up dramatically.

Brushy Sage
08-17-2007, 19:56
Today, Aug 17, my Carolina Mtn. Club trail crew worked near Glassmine Falls Overlook above the Blue Ridge Parkway, north of Craggy Gardens, elevation over 5,000 ft. No water is visible in the falls, as seen from the parkway. Temp at that elevation was 75 degrees.