PDA

View Full Version : Lean-to?

Suzzz
08-05-2007, 16:47
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to be asking this, not to mention that it's probably a stupid question, but here it goes. What's a lean-to? I figure it's a shelter of some sort but it has to be different otherwise it would simply be called a shelter right? I saw some pics in the lean-to section and the only difference I can see is that they have only three sides as opposed to four. Is there anything else to them?

And since I'm on the subject of shelter. Are some people doing the AT without a tent? Is it wise to assume one will always find a shelter? I doubt I'd attempt doing it without one.

Uncle Silly
08-05-2007, 16:54
I'm not entirely certain, but from what I've gathered, AT shelters south of a certain point are called "Shelters", and north of that point are called "Lean-Tos". It's kind of like the invisible "Sweet Tea" Line where, once you cross it (heading north), the restaurants bring you iced tea and a couple of sugar packets when you ask for sweet tea.

AT shelters are mostly (tho not always) 3-walled constructions. They're permanent, and maintained by volunteers, so their locations are known, and marked on AT maps and in guidebooks. It's not wise to assume any given shelter will be available at any given time -- shelters are first-come, first-served, so they can and do fill up.

Roland
08-05-2007, 17:12
When I was a kid, we used the terms Lean-to and Adirondack Shelter, synonymously. Because of this, I always believed Lean-tos originated in the 'Daks, though I don't know this for sure. I learned later in life, that the term Lean-to, was a regional term, and didn't have much use outside the northeast.

A characteristic trait of a Lean-to is its roof-line. The same term is sometimes used to describe a tarp-pitch, with the same roof-line.

Here's a site that sells Lean-to kits (http://www.thruthewoods.com/). Pictures are worth 1000 words.

Roland
08-05-2007, 17:40
~
And since I'm on the subject of shelter. Are some people doing the AT without a tent?

Yes. Some are using tarps. Others are using hammocks. Some may not be carrying a shelter of any type.

~
Is it wise to assume one will always find a shelter?

It is very unwise to assume one will always find a shelter with space available.

~
I doubt I'd attempt doing it without one.

Good choice. Best of luck, in your upcoming section!

Appalachian Tater
08-05-2007, 17:58
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section to be asking this, not to mention that it's probably a stupid question, but here it goes.

There are no stupid questions and if you open a thread and it is truly in the wrong forum, it can always be moved! Don't be afraid to ask for help.

SawnieRobertson
08-05-2007, 19:11
Maybe this is a good time to say this. Sometimes we walk blindly past shellters which we intend to visit. Then we have to retrace our steps or hike on. It can be very frustrating. I can think on one time I missed the turn off to a shelter in New Jersey. It's a very disgusting way to add miles to your hike. I met a fellow (Iceman) this year who was just about out of water. He had been depending on getting more at Trimpi Shelter but just walked right past it. Happily, I was coming from the opposite direction and could tell him that there was a stream (not mentioned in any guide book) in less than a mile on up the trail. What I am saying is that, unless one is very vigilant, the trail can most certainly be without shelter and/or water.--Kinnickinic

hopefulhiker
08-05-2007, 19:30
If you plan to do the AT you should plan to take some sort of shelter with you.. , even if it is just a tarp. Sometimes the shelters are full and sometimes you have to camp because of a bad storm.. It gives you a lot more options if you have your own shelter.. In my thru hike I did not once come across someone who was going without some form of shelter..

budforester
08-05-2007, 19:40
A "lean- to" is the construction type; there's just one slope to the roof. That term is not used much nowadays in my neck of the woods; call it a "shed roof" cabin, and the meaning seems more readily conveyed.

Uncle Silly
08-05-2007, 20:28
A "lean- to" is the construction type; there's just one slope to the roof. That term is not used much nowadays in my neck of the woods; call it a "shed roof" cabin, and the meaning seems more readily conveyed.

It's only been since getting around the AT and community that I've heard the term "lean-to" applied to solid cabin-esque structures. Before that I only knew the term as a type of primitive or emergency shelter that one could easily construct from fallen branches and such -- something they'd teach you in Boy Scouts.

Bare Bear
08-06-2007, 08:52
I met a couple folks without any shleters on my thru hikes. They are called Ultra Lite hikers or Beggers. They seem to think that their lack of gear enables them to boot others out of shelters or "You must make room!" as some kind of divine right..............:)

Tobit
08-06-2007, 09:24
I met a couple folks without any shleters on my thru hikes. They are called Ultra Lite hikers or Beggers. They seem to think that their lack of gear enables them to boot others out of shelters or "You must make room!" as some kind of divine right..............:)
Umm, not all Ultralight hikers are like this. My base weight is 7 lbs. but I always have a shelter of some kind. I rarely sleep in shelters as I find I get a much better nights sleep on the ground by myself instead of in the shelter with a bunch of smelly, farting, and snoring hikers. :p

- T

Monkeyboy
08-06-2007, 09:24
Not to mention, sometimes you might just be too tired or sore to continue on and decide to stop at the next available clearing to camp....

Suzzz
08-06-2007, 09:39
Thanks for the info guys! I'm now clear on what a lean-to is. As far as tents go, I would never attempt any kind of hiking trip without one and I think those who do are very brave. A tent is only a tent but somehow it gives me a sense of security. Mine will always be a must in my pack.

jlb2012
08-06-2007, 12:56
A tent is only a tent but a hammock is a good nights sleep.