PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering-'07

Mother Natures Son
08-05-2007, 17:51
How may on this list are planning to go to ALDHA's Gathering this fall? (Oct. 5-7th at Gettysburg College, PA) Lots of workshops and fun stuff to do. BTW, it only a short drive from the trail.

Mother Natures Son

TJ aka Teej
08-05-2007, 17:54
I've only been to the Hanover Gatherings, and am really looking forward to this year's Gathering!

Cookerhiker
08-05-2007, 17:56
How may on this list are planning to go to ALDHA's Gathering this fall? (Oct. 5-7th at Gettysburg College, PA) Lots of workshops and fun stuff to do. BTW, it only a short drive from the trail.

Mother Natures Son

I'm planning to go at least Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday. On Saturday, I'll be out most of the day with a PATC Trail work crew.

Mother Natures Son
08-05-2007, 18:03
Some of you folks may know this already, "Walkin' Jim" Stoltz, will be appearing at the Gathering this fall. His multimedia slide presentation, along with his legendary folk style has won him many awards. He sings primarily about nature and hiking and at last count he had over 25,000 miles underneath his boots. If you haven't had a chance to take in one of his shows lately, you owe it to yourself as a hiker to see his show. It is incredible! If the songs alone don't make you want to hit the trail, then perhaps his National Geographic style slides will.

Mother Natures Son

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2007, 18:16
Dinos are going to try to be there.

SawnieRobertson
08-05-2007, 18:31
Even if I have to walk the whole dadgum way! Say, that would be fun--Kinnickinic

ms doolittle
08-05-2007, 19:43
Nuh uh! I love Walkin' Jim! I've been teetering on going to this, I might have to go now. :)

Some of you folks may know this already, "Walkin' Jim" Stoltz, will be appearing at the Gathering this fall. His multimedia slide presentation, along with his legendary folk style has won him many awards. He sings primarily about nature and hiking and at last count he had over 25,000 miles underneath his boots. If you haven't had a chance to take in one of his shows lately, you owe it to yourself as a hiker to see his show. It is incredible! If the songs alone don't make you want to hit the trail, then perhaps his National Geographic style slides will.

Mother Natures Son

jmcgarrahan
08-06-2007, 07:28
ms doolittle, you better go, Low Branch and I will be there! Can't wait, to put faces with names.

Newb
08-06-2007, 07:45
How does the gathering work? Do people camp or stay in hotels. Edjumicate me.

Cookerhiker
08-06-2007, 08:12
How does the gathering work? Do people camp or stay in hotels. Edjumicate me.

Hey NewB - this is my first one also. Have you checked out the ALDA site and their gathering brochure (http://www.aldha.org/brochure.htm)? There's camping available or you can luxuriate in hotels. Perhaps some will camp in Caledonia or Pine Grove Furnace (but no half gallons of ice cream in October!:D )

Fenrir
08-07-2007, 18:10
If I go it'd be my first gathering too. Thanks again Jan LiteShoe, for pointing it out to me! But my big issue is how to get there? How does one get there if they are not driving? No busses, trains, or airplanes seem to go there. Anybody have any ideas?

SGT Rock
08-07-2007, 20:22
It is on our list of things to do. I just have to work it out with work.

Mother Natures Son
08-07-2007, 20:57
This just in..... Walkin' Jim Stoltz is considering making a "live album" at the Gathering this fall! ("Live At ALDHA" might be the name of the new recording.) This news came from a recent e-mail with Jim himself! He is not 100% sure of this right now but if his fans write to him and ask, maybe we all could be a part of something special! This should be good news to all those on this list who count themselves as his fans as it's been a long time since he made a live album. A side note, Gettysburg is only a short drive from rail & air service. (Harrisburg) I'm not sure if Gettysburg still has bus service or not. Check you Data book for this and shuttle service from the trail or Harrisburg. :clap

Mother Natures Son

ms doolittle
08-07-2007, 20:58
ms doolittle, you better go, Low Branch and I will be there! Can't wait, to put faces with names.
Gosh darn it, Jen! You're making it hard for me not to go....... :rolleyes:

Now........ for the other decision at hand.... :p

Wonder
08-08-2007, 08:59
Just to let everyone know....if you want to take some extra time, the PA Rennisance Faire is not very far from Gettysburg. HOur, maybe. I'm headed there when things slow down on sunday if anyone wants to join in!

Overpass
08-08-2007, 11:05
Skipped Trail Days in favor of the Gathering. Looking forward to it!

flyingduckmonster
08-08-2007, 11:22
I haven't talked to the boy about it yet, beyond mentioning that there's such a thing as "The Gathering," but I'm hoping to make it, especially since I missed Trail Days.

Are reservations or anything required for camping there? ALDHA's page was a little scant on details, or else I just missed where I needed to be looking.

Lyle
08-08-2007, 11:57
I've added this to my calander. Will be my first Gathering! Looking forward to it.
Walkin' Jim is GREAT! Have seen his shows a couple of times - excellent! A live album would sure be fun.

wallace
08-08-2007, 11:57
Does anyone know if there are tree's available in the camping field for hammocks?

Jester2000
08-08-2007, 18:38
Does anyone know if there are tree's available in the camping field for hammocks?

Hmmm. I was there in the Spring and I'm trying to recall. There are no trees in the field itself. But I do seem to recall that the creek that bordered the field on the north side was itself bordered by some trees. Mainly, though, it's a big empty field with a barn in it (The interior of the barn itself will not be used, though.

Lion King
08-08-2007, 18:48
I'll be there, its just a matter of finding a way from whereever the hell I am on the ADT at that time.

LK

SawnieRobertson
08-08-2007, 19:30
I'll be there, its just a matter of finding a way from whereever the hell I am on the ADT at that time.

LK

Dost thou have any idea where the hell you might be on the ADT at that time?

Kinnickinic

Lion King
08-08-2007, 19:38
Dost thou have any idea where the hell you might be on the ADT at that time?

Kinnickinic

Somewhere between Western Ohio and Denver on the Northern tier of the ADT.

The closer we get to the Dates of the Gathering the more I will know.

They are playing "Walking West With Freedom", so I sorta need to be there.
:D

Lyle
08-08-2007, 20:04
Lion King,

I will be heading to the Gathering from Michigan. If you can arrange to make it to the Toledo area, I could possibly get you the rest of the way. Keep it in mind as you are figuring out your options.

I'm a good friend of Butch's, so anything I can do to help you out on your venture I'd be happy to do. PM if you have any questions or want any other info.