PDA

View Full Version : Water from Shelter 501 to Port Clinton?

Painted Turtle
08-05-2007, 10:09
Hiking from 501 shelter to Eagles Nest next week does anyone know what the water situation is between these to shelters? Also from Eagles Nest to Port Clinton.

shelterbuilder
08-05-2007, 12:06
check your e-mail. :)

emerald
08-05-2007, 12:40
There have been a number of Pennsylvania summer hiking threads previously. If anyone can link them, please do. I'll bookmark them, so I can link them later as needed. Others might want to do the same.

emerald
08-05-2007, 12:42
Some information on summer reliability of Pennsylvania springs can be found in the Sub-Forum entitled Pennsylvania Shelters (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=261).

shelterbuilder
08-05-2007, 15:29
:-? Either that or I could take the odd-numbered days and you could take the even?:D

Well, I got back from an overnighter at the Arboretum and logged into MY e-mail and found P.T.'s query. And from the look of things, I'd better try to check out Blue Mtn. Spring - I've not seen it bone dry in 30 years! (I have a blow-down up that way, too, so maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone.:D ) I guess that we really DO need rain.

emerald
08-05-2007, 15:40
I pointed out yesterday someone should check out Blue Mountain Spring and post his or her findings to WP Shelter's register. Last I was there it needed last year's leaves cleaned out of it too, but I didn't have the time to fool with it then. Might be a good project for a hiker who isn't in a hurry?

Do you have any idea if it's profitable to walk downhill from Yeich Spring in search of water? Never went downhill far there as I do little summer hiking and it didn't concern me greatly. SOBOs from Maine will begin arriving in the next few weeks.;)

shelterbuilder
08-05-2007, 15:52
I pointed out yesterday someone should check out Blue Mountain Spring and post his or her findings to WP Shelter's register. Last I was there it needed last year's leaves cleaned out of it too, but I didn't have the time to fool with it then. Might be a good project for a hiker who isn't in a hurry?

Do you have any idea if it's profitable to walk downhill from Yeich Spring in search of water? Never went downhill far there as I do little summer hiking and it didn't concern me greatly. SOBOs from Maine will begin arriving in the next few weeks.;)

Yeich's Spring run-off disappears under the rocks just below the access trail to Eagle's Nest shelter and does not re-appear for at least 1/4 mile downhill...not practical. I always tell folks to look UPHILL first; there are 2 pools less than 50 yards uphill that last longer than anything else.

The stream from Greisinger's Spring is more dependable and easier to find: from the shelter, face due south and walk 'til you hit the boundary trail between State Forest and State Game Lands (just a stone's throw), turn right and walk to the first ravine (maybe 7 minutes). That's it. But I don't know if there's any water there right now.

emerald
08-05-2007, 15:54
sb and pt, I'd wanted to go for a hike today anyway. I'll check Sand Spring and Yeich Spring. More to follow.

I know where Greisinger Spring is located. I'll see if there's water there. I'm doubtful.

shelterbuilder
08-05-2007, 16:10
sb and pt, I'd wanted to go for a hike today anyway. I'll check Sand Spring and Yeich Spring. More to follow.

I know where Greisinger Spring is located. I'll see if there's water there. I'm doubtful.

Check out the old Hemlock Spring on the west side of Rt. 183 - I haven't been down there in quite a while. I never think to give directions to that one, but if it's running, it would make a good watering hole for NOBO's.

ms doolittle
08-05-2007, 19:47
Lots and lots o' water at Herlein campsite, about 5 miles "north" of 501. I didn't go down to the Hemlock Spring mentioned above, but I think someone else in our group did, and she said there was water. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Couldn't tell you anything beyond that.

camojack
08-05-2007, 21:47
Check out the old Hemlock Spring on the west side of Rt. 183 - I haven't been down there in quite a while. I never think to give directions to that one, but if it's running, it would make a good watering hole for NOBO's.

If that's the Spring less than a mile southbound from 183, it was running fine yesterday:

emerald
08-05-2007, 23:23
I'd better try to check out Blue Mtn. Spring - I've not seen it bone dry in 30 years!

A NOBO I met at ENS told me it was dry.

emerald
08-05-2007, 23:40
I sent Painted Turtle detailed information about what I discovered on my circuit hike today. My findings were consistent with what I expected.

The uppermost (walled) spring on Sand Spring Trail is dry. The lower spring was "boiling," but not vigorously. The spring farther downhill in a stand of royal ferns was slow but quite satisfactory.

Mud puddles at Eagles Nest Shelter, but sufficient for a NOBO I met to suck out enough water for cooking. I didn't bother to check Ox Spring because it was almost dark when I neared it. I expect both it and Greisinger Spring were dry.

It was lightly raining from the time I reached the A.T. junction with Sand Spring Trail until I reached my truck in the dark. It's raining still with 1/2 inch forecast.

Anyone who wants to know what the weather's been like in Berks County for the last 2 days, go here (http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KRDG.html).

emerald
08-05-2007, 23:55
SOBOs from Maine will begin arriving in the next few weeks.;)

Heard a report today from a late NOBO of his encounter with his 1st SOBO!

Painted Turtle
08-06-2007, 08:26
Thanks to all.
From what I can gather there is water at the following; Hertlein, Hemlock and lower Sand Spring. So I think my plan will be to leave 501 with my normal 5 liters. Refill at the other two spots.
No water between ENS and Port Clinton, that is not good, lucky it is short and sort of flat.

emerald
08-06-2007, 11:04
Painted Turtle,

Please update this thread by indicating what conditions you encounter on your hike afterwards.

You could help BMECC and hikers who will depend upon these water sources by writing down sb's directions to the run-off from Greisinger Spring and checking it out when you visit Eagle's Nest Shelter. You might also notify sb by PM as to whether or not the privy at Eagle's Nest Shelter needs attention.

Hope you have a wonderful hike in The Green Diamond.

Shades of Gray

shelterbuilder
08-06-2007, 17:32
Thanks to all.
From what I can gather there is water at the following; Hertlein, Hemlock and lower Sand Spring. So I think my plan will be to leave 501 with my normal 5 liters. Refill at the other two spots.
No water between ENS and Port Clinton, that is not good, lucky it is short and sort of flat.

I just got back from Hemlock Spring - it is surprisingly strong. When you get to the Fort Deitrich Snyder marker, the AT bears right on the old woods road, but to get to Hemlock Springs, turn left and follow the woods road to the second dead snag that's over the road, turn left on the path through the grass and in less than a minute, you'll see the spring (piped). This trail is blue-blazed, but poorly. Good luck.

Toolshed
08-06-2007, 20:30
SOG, and PT, I came up the Sand Spring Trail 2 weeks ago and found that there was plenty of water at the lower Sand Spring, but as SOG mentioned, nothing up top. Even 10 minutes further below sandspring, the water is flowing very well in the stream(I believe it feeds from several smaller drainage's.

I also saw a couple of bottles of water near the yellow gate - NB from the Shelter, about 2 miles N, as the AT comes out and crosses the dirt forest road road turn right and walk 150 yards to the gate. There may be another kind soul leaving some water there. Not to count on, but certainly a pleasant surprise.

emerald
08-06-2007, 20:51
FWIW, no bottles there yesterday.

camojack
08-07-2007, 01:15
I just got back from Hemlock Spring - it is surprisingly strong. When you get to the Fort Deitrich Snyder marker, the AT bears right on the old woods road, but to get to Hemlock Springs, turn left and follow the woods road to the second dead snag that's over the road, turn left on the path through the grass and in less than a minute, you'll see the spring (piped). This trail is blue-blazed, but poorly. Good luck.

That's the spring I posted the picture of HERE (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=388637&postcount=11)...starring Matthewski and Stonewall. :D

shelterbuilder
08-07-2007, 17:59
I pointed out yesterday someone should check out Blue Mountain Spring and post his or her findings to WP Shelter's register.

Blue Mountain Spring is, for practical purposes, dry - only about 5 drops per minute coming out of the pipe. I've never seen it like that, but there's been a lot of building in the valley down below, so those new homes are suckin' the water table dry!:( There is a note up by the sign for William Penn Shelter noting the spring is dry.

I even went downhill to try to locate water - there is NOTHING - a couple of muddy seeps way down the hill, but that's it. (I went so far down that I got lost on the way back up!:confused: :o ) Camel up, boys and girls, it's gonna be a long dry spell.

shelterbuilder
08-07-2007, 18:00
That's the spring I posted the picture of HERE (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=388637&postcount=11)...starring Matthewski and Stonewall. :D

Yep, that's the one!!:banana

camojack
08-07-2007, 19:38
Yep, that's the one!!:banana

Lousy picture though; I must've jostled the camera... :(

emerald
08-07-2007, 21:00
Heat advisory today, but not as hot as anticipated, only 90°F. Tomorrow more of the same, 94°F expected, 50% chance of rain.

Looks like conditions are apt to get drier before improving.:sun :sun :sun

emerald
08-12-2007, 23:38
The spring at Pilger Ruh was running from its pipe quite satisfactorily today.