PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze patches are here

attroll
10-24-2003, 02:03
The WhiteBlaze patches are in. I have a stack sitting on my desk right now. If anyone wants to purchase one I am ready to take orders. You can view the patch at this link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1426&papass=&sort=1 .

The patch size is 4 inches by 1 ½ inches. I have come up with a price of $3.25 each. I hope you all don’t think that is to expensive. I am making about 30 cents on each patch. I would like to make more but I am not in this to make money. I just figured the extra 30 cents could go towards the purchase of more patches and to help replace the $300 plus I put into it out of my own pocket.

If you would like to purchase a patch please leave email to [email protected] and include the following information.

Full Name:
Full Mailing address:
Number of patches you wish to purchase:

I will not send any patches with out receiving the money first. I will respond to the email telling you I got the email and will hold the patch/patches until I receive your money.

MedicineMan
10-26-2003, 07:41
Anyone know the address in which to send the dough?????

attroll
10-26-2003, 11:33
If you send the above information meantioned to the following email address you will get a responce with all the information you need.

[email protected]

illininagel
10-26-2003, 12:08
Just a suggestion...

If you get set up on PayPal, you can accept money directly from buyers via your e-mail account. It's free to enroll and free to accept incoming funds, provided that you don't sign up for the credit card feature. As you probably know, PayPal is one of the easiest, most efficient methods for transferring money over the internet.

You would also receive a confirmed shipping address from the buyer along with the PayPal funds.

Illininagel

Sly
10-26-2003, 13:13
Originally posted by illininagel

You would also receive a confirmed shipping address from the buyer along with the PayPal funds.

Actually only if funds are linked to a CC will you necessarily get a "confirmed" address.

Unless Troll wants to pay $.30 and 2.9% for each transaction, all funds should be sent from either the buyers bank account or Paypal balance in which case it's free.

That said, Troll can set up his account not to take CC funded transfers and simply sign up for a "personal account". If a CC payment is sent, Troll will be prompted to upgrade to a Premier account which can be declined and payment refused.

All and all it's probably worth looking into

attroll
10-26-2003, 14:44
Wow. Sly. I did not realize that. I do now. When I went and tried to except the payment it said I will be charged 2.2% plus 30 cents on every transaction. If I except credit cards through pay-pal I will lose money on this whole process. So as of now if you use pay-pal and it is transferred via credit card please do not pay by pay-pal. Unless you want to add 22 cents on the dollar and 30 cents for the transaction. Because I am not doing this making money and I can not do it via pay-pal and lose money. The 25 cents profit was not really profit. It was the extra it cost for the initial cost to get the account set up for the patch design.

This is the break down of one patch
$3.25
+ .3 cents (rounded off) for transaction fee or 2.2%
+.30 cents for transaction fee
+.37 cents for postage
---------------------------
$3.95 per patch is what it would cast to send it

$3.00 for the cost of patch that I paid with out my 25 cent profit
.70 cents the amount I am losing on each patch out of my pocket.

This is the break down of two patches

$6.50
+ .15 cents (rounded off) for transaction fee or 2.2%
+.30 cents for transaction fee
+.37 cents for postage
$7.32 per patch is what it would cast to send it

$6.00 for the cost of patch that I paid with out my.50 cent profit
1.32 cents the amount I am losing on two patches

And the price goes up the more you spend and the more I lose on this process. So now I have to deny everyone that has paid through pal-pal via credit card. Because I can not afford to lose money on this venture.

attroll
10-26-2003, 14:54
To all the people who paided through pay-pal via credit card. I would like to apologize to you for what I am about to do. Unless you want to pay the extra amount for the pay-pal fees for credit card transaction, I will be denying the transaction you sent me and it will not go through. If you would like to pay the fees please email me at [email protected] and I will figure out what the fees are and I will re-email you. I was not aware that there were credit card fees. I have my pay-pal account taken directly from my checking account and it is free. I was not aware that credit purchases required a fee.

Sorry for the any inconvenience.

Sly
10-26-2003, 16:16
Troll,

What's your Paypal addy, is it the same as listed here? I'd like to buy a patch, non-CC funded of course!

Also I think that 2.2% you quote is what they charge for a Merchant account, but I'm not sure of the qualifications in order to get one. Normally it's the $.30 plus 2.9% for a Premier account.

Just remember, if you ever upgrade, it doesn't matter if someone sends money from a Paypal balance, bank account or CC you'll get charged the fees.

attroll
10-26-2003, 18:24
I was thinking of upgrading. But if they are going to charge me for bank account transfers than I will not. I never knew I would run into this problem I have always transfered using my account with no problems. But that again I am not tranfering using a credit card. I have never recieved with it either until now. I should have known there was going to be some gimik using it.

illininagel
10-26-2003, 19:31
atroll,

As long as you only sign up for the PayPal "Personal Account", you can send money to anyone with an email address and may also receive non-credit card funded payments from others for free.

If you go with the "Premier Account", you can send money to anyone with an email address for free. But, you will pay a fee to receive funds, regardless of the source of those funds (credit cards, instant payment, etc.).

It sounds like you will want to go with the Personal Account to keep the costs down---actually to incur no PayPal charges. Others with PayPal accounts will be able to pay you for free also. Just don't accept credit cards as a form of payment. I'm not certain if someone can even pay you using credit cards if you have a Personal Account. But, if they can, simply "refund" their money through PayPal and all of the fees will be reversed as well.

PayPal can be a hassle at first. But, once you are up and running, it's a very convenient way for you to receive funds quickly and efficiently.

I hope this helps...Illininagel

attroll
10-26-2003, 21:35
I believe what I have been using is a Personal Account that I have been using for the last two years.

When I go to accept the payment a window comes up saying “Upgrade Your Account to Accept this Payment”. I am assuming that this means they are paying through pay-pal using a credit card. Right?

Sly
10-26-2003, 22:35
Originally posted by attroll

When I go to accept the payment a window comes up saying “Upgrade Your Account to Accept this Payment”. I am assuming that this means they are paying through pay-pal using a credit card. Right?

That's right. A non-CC funded transfer will not prompt you to upgrade.

Now what's your Paypal addy so I can order a patch?

illininagel
10-27-2003, 00:05
attroll,

Sounds right. Don't upgrade your account unless you want to pay fees on every receipt, regardless of its source.

If you retain your Personal Account, you will continue to be able to accept PayPal transfers for free.

I upgraded my PayPal account to the Premier, since I need to accept credit card payments on eBay.

I hope this helps...Illininagel

MadAussieInLondon
10-27-2003, 06:22
i have a premiere account too, you only pay when you move money off from paypal to your local bank/ccard. you can accept CC'd payments from anyone without paying for it, (premiere or personal). you only pay when you move it off from paypal to your local account. (unless it has changed ofcourse..... )

if it has changed, its a pity, and for the worse!! :(

Sly
10-27-2003, 13:26
MadAussie, it must be different for folks across the big pond.

We don't get charged to transfer funds from Paypal to a bank account regardless of which type of account and only Premier or Business/Merchant accounts get charged a fee per transaction.

Troll, you could upgrade your account and charge $4 per patch which is still reasonable.

Lugnut
10-31-2003, 01:52
AT Troll, In the flurry of confusion over pay pal, or whatever the method is, no one has mentioned whether you would accept cash by mail for the patches. It shouldn't be too difficult to wrap four ones (keep the change) up in paper and send them to you. Would this be acceptable? I also seem to remember pledging some financial support toward this project but don't remember the specifics.

attroll
10-31-2003, 02:20
Sure. But like you said you might want to wrap them up so no one can see them. I can handel that.

Streamweaver
10-31-2003, 17:29
A good way to send small amounts of cash is to put it in a greeting card.

Attroll, How about a money order or would it be easier if I just send cash??? Streamweaver

attroll
10-31-2003, 17:56
It does not matter. Money order, cash or check. What ever is easier for you.

JimSproul
11-05-2003, 22:58
Patch arrived today in Texas. GREAT JOB! They look much better than the scan. Really first class. Thanks Troll for the hard work and effort on our behalf.

illininagel
11-06-2003, 20:41
My patch just arrived today in Chicago. Very impressive! Thanks again for all your hard work in coordinating the production and distribution of this item.

By the way, I think you should price the patches so that you are able to recover your initial investment in the project. I appreciate your intent to do something good for our internet community. But, there is no reason you should be out of pocket for a significant portion of your initial investment. What I'm saying is that you should not feel guilty about charging a fair price (say $5 a patch) so that you can recover actual costs that you incurred. It's still a bargain at that price! (I was once a Cost Accountant in my past life...)

Finally, for all of those ultra-light hikers, I hope that applying this patch to my backpack doesn't add too much weight for my thru-hike....just kidding!

Thanks again....Glenn

attroll
11-07-2003, 02:12
I am going to break even if I sell them all. So I should not lose any money. I made the commitment to try and keep the site non profit. I am trying to keep it that way. I do appreciate all of you who sent a little extra in there patch money. It is greatly appreciated. It helps me with other fees like months server fees. I also have renewal fees for the forum and the gallery software coming up. They are due on a yearly basis. So once again thank you all for your support. Don’t worry about me I get a lot of satisfaction seeing this site staying up and helping others.

bulldog
11-07-2003, 02:28
One note about the Paypal. Your account becomes confirmed with either a credit card or checking account. To VERIFY your account you need your checking account.

asmtroop3
11-07-2003, 15:21
AT Troll,

Just got my patches in the mail.
Fantastic job, thanks.
To all who have a couple of bucks lying around, get a patch.
The colors are vivid and the banner up top of the page does not do the real thing justice.

Hope to see some on the trail.

LBJ
11-08-2003, 13:12
November 8, 2003
Are the patches still available?

attroll
11-08-2003, 13:26
Yes. I have about 70 or 80 still.

MedicineMan
11-08-2003, 22:25
My patches came in the mail today and all I can say is wow! And I am so glad you chose the profile of Roan Mountain for the patch (well I can pretend can't I?)...whoever you go to do the rendition is superb and agreed with the above poster that the real patch far surpases the internet representation. I will proudly place this on my pack. and while I'm singly the praises of Attroll, isnt it interesting how he has single-handedly created/maintained the best AT site to ever exist on the internet.
Whiteblaze is a bright spot for me, we hit the trail monthly but that isnt enough, and all that is here-from the photo albums, the trip reports and the gear reviews- helps my fixation on the Appalachian Trail and its uniqueness.
Thanks again Attroll.
One more thing, if any of you were ever a Boy Scout and sought after patches-either Merit Badges, Order of the Arrow, Camporee or Camporal; when you open the envelope from Attroll you will be taken back to your Scouting heritage when you see this patch!

Kozmic Zian
02-16-2004, 00:55
Yea....I want one...I'll send the money in on land post. Whats the address?

Big Dawg
02-16-2004, 16:46
just recv'd my patch the other day,,, AWESOME!! I Look forward to finding a place on my pack for it. I'm relatively new to this site, mostly look at posts, have posted a few,, but ultimately I have gained a lot of valuable info from this site. Thanks!!:clap

attroll
02-19-2004, 20:41
If you want to order a WhiteBlaze patch you can do so by clicking the button at the top of the page titled "WB Store". This will give you the instructions on what you need to do to order the patch.

I regret that we are going to have to raise the price of the patches for anyone ordering after today. I am all out of patches. I will be ordering some more this Monday. It takes two to three weeks to get them in. The reason we have to raise the price is because we are ordering a smaller amount this time. The first order was a large amount. The more you order the better deal you get. But I am not going to sink a lot of money into a big order and not be able to sell them. So I am going to order a smaller amount this time. I am not sure of the price. I will have to post the price after I call Monday. But if I remember correctly it was going to have to be $5.00 per patch. I hope that price does not discourage anyone. We will include shipping and handling in with the $5.00.