PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail

out-n-about
08-05-2007, 20:37
PLANNING ON DOING THE FOOTHILLS IN OCT. IF ALL WORKS OUT.IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER.:banana

Tennessee Viking
08-05-2007, 21:00
Just watch out for the Ravens Cliff section around Caesars Head. That is a rough climb.

ed bell
08-05-2007, 23:18
Just watch out for the Ravens Cliff section around Caesars Head. That is a rough climb.That's not part of the Foothills Trail, but can be incorperated into your hike. The Mountain Bridge area is a great hiking destination for those of us in the SC, NC Upstate area.

Mother Nature
08-06-2007, 07:30
I have done the Foothills Trail but unfamiliar with the Mountain Bridge area. I loved the FT and would be interested in other similar trails in that area.

Mother Nature

Nearly Normal
08-06-2007, 19:53
You may want to hike some of the spur trails.
The Fork Mountain spur will add about 12 miles to the hike but will strike the Chattooga River just above Ellicot's Rock. (tri-corner for NC, SC, Ga) It's marked with a sign if a trail Bozo hasn't moved or torn it down.
The river section is super. The escarpment along part of the river section is where Tarzan hangs his hat.

Get the map and guide. Very well put together.
Shuttles in the past have been easy through the FTC.
Parking is only secure at Bad Creek and Oconee State Park. Oconee is a good place to end up for the facilities.
I'm going in Sept or Oct depending.... e-mail me.

"I have done the Foothills Trail but unfamiliar with the Mountain Bridge area. I loved the FT and would be interested in other similar trails in that area."

Try a place called "Panthertown" pretty close to Cashiers. Great waterfalls, swimming holes, traceways, and bathtubs cut in the creek bedrock. It's still under undevelopment as a natural area. (Reclaimed from a developer). Lots of "goat trails" you need the Pamplet describing the trails to get around. You can probably Google it and I know a hiker in the area that can clue you. Good place to explore for a couple of days or dayhike.

Nearly Normal

Mother Nature
08-06-2007, 22:03
Been googling info on Panthertown Valley and can't wait to head up there! Thanks for the tip.

Mother Nature

KG4FAM
08-06-2007, 22:51
Been googling info on Panthertown Valley and can't wait to head up there! Thanks for the tip.

Mother Nature
If you need the map for that place (and you do need it, no blazes) you can get it at the Highland Hiker (the local outfitter) in Cashiers