PDA

View Full Version : Water Situation in GA

pyroman53
08-05-2007, 21:28
We'll be doing the Approach Trail to Unicoi Gap in early September. How's the water? What are the "go to" reliable water sources? I've been hearing about there being some rain lately in Georgia. What's it lookin like?

Pedaling Fool
08-06-2007, 16:24
I did Springer to Damascus in April this year; the water was much lower than March 2006 when I went through. However, it got worse the further north, I don't think you'll have any problems from Springer to Unicoi Gap.

scope
08-06-2007, 17:24
I'm interested if anyone has any recent experience (like in past few weeks)? We were in a nasty little drought there through early July, but we've had a lot of rain in Atlanta since then. I would think the supply is much better now in the Mtns.

I'll be doing this section SOBO later in Sept, so please post after your trip with a report.

SteveJ
08-06-2007, 17:42
I did Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap with my son a few weeks ago. The only really dry area was from Neel's Gap to Low Gap - I heard later that, while the pipe at Hogpen Gap was dry, if you hiked down stream a ways, there was water there... It's been wetter here in GA the last couple of weeks than it had been before we went .

We ran into a guy and his son at Neel's Gap who had hiked SOBO from Dick's Creek Gap to Neel's Gap - he indicated that water had been plentiful everywhere but Low Gap into Neel's Gap....

I did a trip report here if you didn't see it....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=382339&postcount=14

have fun planning!

Steve

mechengr
08-06-2007, 22:07
Just hiked the Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap section Aug 3-5, 2007. The 2 springs identified on the AT trail map(near Rock Spring Top and Baggs Creek Gap) between Neels Gap and Hogpen Gap are dry. There is water at Hogpen Gap. Load up on water every chance you get. Have fun.

Smudge
08-07-2007, 16:42
Did Unicoi to Dick's Creek July 16-18th, Sassafrass Gap water was just a moist spot at the base of the tree. Had to dig a hole and let the sediment settle. Deep gap shelter had a trickle coming out of the pipe up the hill from the shelter blue blaze trail. Watch out though, there is a gnarly yellow jacket nest at ground level a 100yds from the blue trail head. Low water for sure, carry a cup to scoop water to fill your hydration system or larger bottles... Camel up when you can!!

pyroman53
08-08-2007, 22:25
I'll be doing this section SOBO later in Sept, so please post after your trip with a report.

Scope: We'll try to let you know as soon as we get off the trail how the water flowed. We'll be home by 9/16. Is that soon enough?

scope
08-20-2007, 10:54
Scope: We'll try to let you know as soon as we get off the trail how the water flowed. We'll be home by 9/16. Is that soon enough?

Yes, that will be excellent timing.

BlackCloud
08-20-2007, 17:55

No, I'll be up there Labor Day weekend. If anyone else is up there before then, please opine.....

Two Speed
08-20-2007, 21:31
Can't reply directly to the water situation from Amicalola to Unicoi, but Skids and I hiked from Tray Gap to Dick's Creek Gap this weekend. The usually reliable spring at Deep Gap shelter was just barely running, and I do mean just barely. A refill was feasible, but didn't look like being much fun. As we got back down towards Dick's Creek Gap the creeks were running well.

Basically, it's pretty dry, but water was available as of last weekend. I would anticipate the smaller and higher springs being dry or running very poorly, with water being available at lower elevations. Experience reading a topo map to find water could be a huge advantage.

greentick
08-20-2007, 22:08
Y'all got any info on water North of Dick's Creek Gap? Heading out in about a week for a couple of days.

Two Speed
08-21-2007, 02:04
Sorry, nothing specific.

FatMan
08-29-2007, 18:15
Walked from Grassy Gap to Justice Creek and back today. It has been very dry the last three weeks but it did rain a couple of days ago. All important water sources are running, although you will be more successful with a pump.

Grassy Gap Branch - very light flow but usable - no sign but down the old grassy gap roadbed
Gooch Gap - Decent Flow
Gooch Mtn Shelter - trickle but usable

Yellow jackets and knats are very active.

Summer95
09-08-2007, 00:45
We're heading to Georgia for a short hike between Dicks Creek to Rock Gap. Should be on the trail 9/10 or 9/11. Anyone have an update on the water? I'll post one when I return, but that won't be until 9/21 at the earliest.

galaleemc
09-09-2007, 17:38
Got water at Trey Mtn shelter this morning - small pool of water. You would have to scoop or use a pump to get it. Did not see water until Dick's Creek and it was trickle on the south side and you need a pump there too. B Rohrer as told to Laura

pyroman53
09-11-2007, 15:57
Had water at the following locations from Amicaoloa to Woody Gap (working north tomorrow from Woody)
Black Gap Shelter (trickle but it'll work). None at Springer Shelter
Stover Creek
Hawk Mtn Shelter
Justus Creek
Blackwell Creek
Gooch Mtn Shelter
Gooch Gap both North and South

All sources are very good except Black Gap

Word is there is not much north of Woody eccept a trickle at Dockery Lake Trail and Low Gap Shelter. Time will tell.

scope
09-17-2007, 11:41
Anybody know anything about water at Frosty Mt.?? (or nearby)

Dizzy42
09-17-2007, 12:08
just got back on 09/09 -- no water most of the way fron Tray Mtn to Dicks Creek Gap. only source right before hwy 76 at end of section.

whitefoot_hp
09-17-2007, 12:12
hopefully this good rain we had over the weekend will liven things up...

troglobil
09-17-2007, 16:52
As of this weekend, very little water on Springer. New Stover Creek shelter source is dry, but water available short way down trail

briarpatch
09-17-2007, 17:19
Here is a summary of the info I'm sending out for email inquiries:

Water Info
=========
Pretty much all of the streams and creeks are still running, but the springs are drying up or are already dry. Carry extra water and fill whenever you get the chance. I heard over the weekend that Hawk Mountain is still running pretty well, but that Tray Mountain has dried up. I would carry 2-4 liters, if I were doing any extended distance hiking in Georgia right now. I'll append the latest updates I've had from the Ridgerunner below, this info is about 2 weeks old.

==========================
Black Gap and Springer Mtn. are dry and have been for a while- making the approach trail pretty tough. I've been letting people know that if things get really tough the steam about a mile and a quarter north of Springer is running. I know no one wants to go further, but if someone is in need its alot better than huffing it 8 back down the approach or 4 or so into the Hike Inn.

Besides that everything seems to be running.

The source behind Stover Creek Shelter is dry, but a few minutes hike north or south on the AT from the shelter and the stream is great

Hawk Mt. and Gooch are running fine.

Its the best stretch or trail as far as water is concerned.

===========

Low Gap is running---down by the shelter the stream is dry, but if you go up stream near the campsites the water is running

Hogpen Gap is running

Whitley Gap shelter is dry

It is dry from Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap

Slaughter Creek water source is dry

Woods Hole Shelter is dry

Woody Gap is dry

Gooch Gap is running

Gooch Shelter is running
=========
Bly Gap camp site is dry

Plumorchard Shelter is very good

Deep Gap Shelter is dry

Addis Gap is very good

Sassafras Gap is Dry

Tray Mtn. is dry

The Cheese Factory is running

Blue Mtn.--There is a small trickle coming from the source, however the pool that it is flowing into is quite stagnant. The water doesnt seem to be flowing out beyond the pool at a very fast rate at all.

The next campsite south of Blue Mtn is dry.

Chattahoochee Gap is dry.