PDA

View Full Version : Training Hike locales in MD?

Starsongs
08-06-2007, 11:30
All,

I'm new around here, just found out about this site a week and a half ago. I'm planning on making my first NOBO from Mt. Springer to Mt. Katahdin sometime within the next year or two. I'm looking for suggestions of good places to hike in MD for training. I know about Sugarloaf Mt, which is fun, but are there any others that are AT like?

Starsongs

wilconow
08-06-2007, 11:55
All,

I'm new around here, just found out about this site a week and a half ago. I'm planning on making my first NOBO from Mt. Springer to Mt. Katahdin sometime within the next year or two. I'm looking for suggestions of good places to hike in MD for training. I know about Sugarloaf Mt, which is fun, but are there any others that are AT like?

Starsongs

Maryland doesn't offer a lot of difficult hiking, including the 40 miles of the AT. I would suggest going about 1.5-2 hrs from DC to Massanutten Mountain. It's a rugged area and good preparation for some of the more difficult sections of the AT. The Great North Mountain area (next range west) is also good. Buy the PATC guidebooks

http://www.patc.net/store/

Maybe
08-06-2007, 12:45
Starsongs - I second Wilconow's recommendation - easy to get to, no admission (like SNP), no crowds. Signal knob is a killer hike (in the good way) with a great view.

Locally, the Lee-Custis Trail from Teddy Roosevelt Island to the W&OD is metro accessable and hilly. Not big hills, but almost no flat spots. You can take metro to Rosslyn and get an 8 mile out and back. Also in Arlington, four mile run trail between Wilson Blvd and Shirlington is very pretty and has some hill options.

Since all three of us are inside the beltway - if any of us are planning a local hike, let's PM the other two to check availability and save some money by carpooling.

Peace

Cookerhiker
08-06-2007, 12:57
I'm an ex-Silver Spring resident myself. If you haven't time for a long drive, the only MD portion close is hiking up Weverton Cliffs or driving up to Catoctin NP for some uphill hiking. But none of these tax you much.

If you're willing to leave early in the AM to avoid Beltway rush hour (weekdays) and trail crowds (weekends), I suggest Old Rag. As I recall, it's about 2,000' elevation gain. Once you're proficient at ascending it, you can handle the Trail.

minnesotasmith
08-06-2007, 14:53
I found that the northern half of the AT in that state actually offered some challenging hiking. Rocks, isolation -- only having a modest amount of uphill made for IMO incomplete training for NH and ME. I'd say you could hike there, and get trained well, if you just hike each hill you come to twice.

wilconow
08-06-2007, 15:06
I found that the northern half of the AT in that state actually offered some challenging hiking. Rocks, isolation -- only having a modest amount of uphill made for IMO incomplete training for NH and ME. I'd say you could hike there, and get trained well, if you just hike each hill you come to twice.

There is a steep and rocky section right after High Rock that offers a nice challenge.. but it's pretty short.

Crazy Legs
08-06-2007, 16:28
For a day hike, the Billy Goat trail at Great Falls is good. For extended hikes, Green Ridge State Park in Western Maryland has some interesting terrain. SNP and Massanutten are moderate hiking areas, but worth the trip too. In SNP - Old Rag and Little Devil Stairs are a must.

alanthealan
08-06-2007, 16:42
The hiking need not too difficult in order to train. In fact I would start of with easy hikes and then increase the challenge. Maryland offers great opportunities to get out on the trail and train. Easy access and good parking and a fair amount of varied terrain from the C&O at the southern end to the rocks near the mason-dixen line. Numerous shelters and dependable water (except Crampton's Gap) make Maryland user friendly for those testing their new gear. Check PATC.net form more info.

twosticks
08-06-2007, 16:54
All,

Starsongs

Greenbelt park has a decent 7 or so mile loop. That's pretty close in, just east of you on 193. You could also do the cotoctin trail. That's like 25 miles or so long and a pretty good hike.

Starsongs
08-06-2007, 23:18
Also, I forgot to mention that I take public transportation, so my training options are limited. I had thought about working upto a hike to Washington, D. C. and then take the bus and train back until I'm in shape enough to hike to and from DC. I need to figure out how to get to Sugarloaf Mt, because that's the most up and down I can think of in MD.

Starsongs

Cookerhiker
08-07-2007, 11:55
If you want your training to consist of hiking, start out with the ups and downs - small as they may be - in Rock Creek Park.

If your intent is to build stamina and improve aerobic fitness, I suggest cycling. Specifically, bike from Georgetown up the Capital Crescent Trail to Bethesda. 4-5 miles of gradual uphill which will benefit both your quads and lungs. After you've done this stretch, continue on the trail past Connecticut Ave, enter Rock Creek park, and cycle a steep uphill towards the Walter Reed Annex. I used to commute via bicycle occasionally and went home this way. A good workout.

On weekends, cycle through Rock Creek Park when Beach Drive is closed. Starting from near the Kennedy Center, cycle as far north as you can, eventually reaching Lake Needwood in Rockville. Cycling possibilities are endless. For assistance and route suggestions, contract the Washington Area Bicycling Association. (http://www.waba.org/) Metro allows bikes on trains during non-rush hours and nearly all buses have bike racks.

Cycling will help you and tax the body less than jogging.

7Sisters
08-07-2007, 15:53
If you want to stick to the AT in MD, another option to get excellent fitness would be to fast pack the AT.

Essentially what you want to do is get a full pack on, hit the AT and walk as fast as you can, for as long as you can. Where you will get great benefits is stretching your fitness, while you won't increase your ability to climb, you will greatly increase the aerobic capacity of your entire body.

Walking for 6-7 hrs at 3+ miles per hour with a 30 lb pack is not easy and will really go a long way to building up your entire body. Again the short coming will be your climbing legs. They will come pretty quick on the trail though.

wrongway_08
08-07-2007, 17:01
Get your pack loaded and head to Patapsco State Park. It has some long uphils and lots of them.
Take 195 West till it ends at the park and ride, go across the road and find one of the 4 trail heads, start hiking. I mountain bike there for 3-4 hours and you dont cross the same path 2x.
If you want PM me or post and we can head out there. This place has steeper hills then Catoctin (I hike there a lot) and rocky sections to help get those ankles in shape.
This place is about 25 minutes from Westminster.

Cookerhiker
08-07-2007, 18:31
If you want to stick to the AT in MD, another option to get excellent fitness would be to fast pack the AT.

Essentially what you want to do is get a full pack on, hit the AT and walk as fast as you can, for as long as you can. Where you will get great benefits is stretching your fitness, while you won't increase your ability to climb, you will greatly increase the aerobic capacity of your entire body.

Walking for 6-7 hrs at 3+ miles per hour with a 30 lb pack is not easy and will really go a long way to building up your entire body. Again the short coming will be your climbing legs. They will come pretty quick on the trail though.

Get your pack loaded and head to Patapsco State Park. It has some long uphils and lots of them.
Take 195 West till it ends at the park and ride, go across the road and find one of the 4 trail heads, start hiking. I mountain bike there for 3-4 hours and you dont cross the same path 2x.
If you want PM me or post and we can head out there. This place has steeper hills then Catoctin (I hike there a lot) and rocky sections to help get those ankles in shape.
This place is about 25 minutes from Westminster.

Good suggestions but remember, she doesn't have a car.

Starsongs
08-07-2007, 19:08
I can get to Rock Creek Park via public transportation, and there's also Lake Frank. Lake Frank is a woodsy park with some fairly short but steep inclines.

Starsongs

wrongway_08
08-07-2007, 19:12
How far are you from Westminster? Baltimore? and Fort Meade? Thinking of ways to work around the car issue.

Topcat
08-07-2007, 19:13
you can also take the train from dc to harpers ferry since you dont have a car and do out and backs or see the outfitter for shuttles and hike the trail around there. better yet, find a hiking partner local and pay for gas for him or her to drive while you both hike

wrongway_08
08-07-2007, 19:46
I think I am close to you, I could pick you up and we could go hike, Harpers Ferry is a really neat place, after hiking we could float through some rapids and swim to cool off!

modiyooch
08-07-2007, 21:27
I would do the AT roller coaster from Rt 50 to Bears Den. I enjoyed that 14 mile hike. You could always extend the hike to Hapers Ferry.

wilconow
08-08-2007, 10:19

a park in baltimore/howard co has "long uphills". thanks for the laugh

wilconow
08-08-2007, 10:22
A good option is to look into some hiking clubs. many of them meet at the vienna metro to carpool, so you could take metro out there.

http://www.mdoutdoorclub.org
http://www.mcomd.org/
http://www.patc.net
http://www.mwrop.org/

BlackCloud
08-08-2007, 10:37
Maryland Heights, across from Harper's Ferry, offers the toughest that MD has to offer. Amtrack ticket from Rockville to HF is (was?) $8 one way.

To make a weekend of it, you could hike MD Heights one day, camp at the C&O hiker/biker a few miles upstream, and then hike the Loudon Heights loop the next day. Weaverton Cliffs, several miles downstream off the C&O, also offers a nice up, albeit easier then the other two...

Programbo
08-15-2007, 20:48
Also, I forgot to mention that I take public transportation, so my training options are limited. I had thought about working upto a hike to Washington, D. C. and then take the bus and train back until I'm in shape enough to hike to and from DC. I need to figure out how to get to Sugarloaf Mt, because that's the most up and down I can think of in MD.Starsongs

Hello..Long ago when I first started hiking and didn`t drive I would go on day hikes with the Maryland Mountain Club..Or is it the Mountain Club of Maryland?...I`m sure there are plenty of nice folks in the area who go up there for day hikes who would be happy to have some company..Just post in the hiking partners area... Bicycling is always a good training method since it builds leg strength and stamina...Even just the C&O Canal is good and easily reachable...The best exercise for hiking is simply hiking

Programbo
08-15-2007, 20:53
Weaverton Cliffs, several miles downstream off the C&O, also offers a nice up, albeit easier then the other two...

Don`t sell Weaverton short..That climb can kick your butt if you aren`t in shape yet...Of course now it`s a lot of switchbacks..Back in the 70`s it just went straight up :eek: ......Just reaching the cliffs is less than half the distance to the top of the ridge..The rest of the way (Cliffs-Ridgeline) isn`t steep but it`s a steady uphill trudge

Newb
08-16-2007, 07:42
I'll pile on here, as I live in Alexandria and hike the area around here every week. If you rely on public transport your options become limited, but possible.

Amtrak service to Harpers ferry leaves at night and goes to DC in the a.m. Take the afternoon train and hike up to the shelter above Weverton cliffs. The Hike southbound out of Harpers is relatively strenuous, as there is nearly constant elevation gain all the way south to the Blackburn center. That's a full days hike with overnight opportunities along the way (and beer at highway 9 :)

The outfitter at Harper's Ferry will shuttle you for a fee so that you can do a multi-day hike back to Harpers. I suggest getting shuttled down to hwy 522 (near Front Royal) and hiking back north. You'll make some strenuous climbs as well as face some long ridge walks and the roller coaster.

Footnotes
08-17-2007, 16:39
I live very near Harper's Ferry and use MD Heights for training. Amtrak is not the best option for you to get out here. MARC commuter trains are more plentiful. They go into DC thru Silver Spring in the morning and starting at about 1:30 PM in the afternoon you can get rides out to Brunswich (on C&O canal abt 2.5 miles from Harper's Ferry) and HF. they run until about 7:30 PM at night. The schedule is online if you google. Amtrak is a different animal and also a possibility. The MARC fares are cheap. There is a Comfort INN in HF or the Hilltop House for lodging. Rode them for 13 years before retiring.

naturejunkie
08-20-2007, 11:34
I hiked alot in Gunpowder Falls north of Baltimore in preparation for my hike. There are several sections that offer differing terrains. If you're going NOBO, there shouldn't be a real need to tackle the biggest mountains/hills you can find, just hiking hills often should suffice. If you're going SOBO, hike up and down as many mountains as you can before leaving and then hike some more.