PDA

View Full Version : What do the orange stringy things do on my pack?

The Wisconsinite
08-06-2007, 22:09
Man, I'm just the thread starter today. Anywho, I just took out my brand new REI UL 45 pack for a weekend of camping, and I loved it. Only one problem though. My pack has really skinny shock-cord like things at four corners (picture here (http://www.rei.com/ProductDisplay.do?productId=48111560&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=&img=/media/1013947.jpg&view=large) at REI website). They look as if I'm supposed to use them to tie stuff down with, so I tried tying down my 4.5 lb new tent, and then the ends broke off. Since the rest of the pack is built pretty sweet, I think I'm not using them right, because why on earth would you make one piece of a nice pack very crappy? So what do they do? They're the orange strings in the picture, at the four corners of the pack on the back. They have plastic drawcord things on them.

Any takers?

Jim Adams
08-06-2007, 22:11
Are they internal compression straps?

geek

Midway Sam
08-06-2007, 22:12
Lashing trekking poles, ice ax, etc.

Midway Sam
08-06-2007, 22:12
Heh, from the page you linked to...

"Simple, lightweight tool attachments let you quickly stash trekking poles and ice axes"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-06-2007, 22:17
I have the same pack - women's version - and the thingy are supposed to be to attach stuff, but as you have noted they are very filmsy. I don't use them - I tie heavier, outside gear to the webbing straps on the waist belt and run the outer portion of the line thru the part that attached the lid to the main pack. This seems to make the weight balance better and the lifters keep it from dragging down my waist belt.

The Wisconsinite
08-06-2007, 22:20
Should I cut them off? I've broken two already. You'd think for something as important sounding as an ice ax you'd have something a little beefier.

And I believe I only have one compression strap at the top. At least that's what the blurb says. Since they broke when I pulled on them, I doubt they would compress much now :)

Appalachian Tater
08-06-2007, 22:21
The close-up from one of the similar packs confirms that they are the lashing-cords for equipment. I don't think I would trust them for anything heavier than my hiking poles while climbing hand-over-hand.

I would take the pack back to REI and talk to someone about it and get them to exchange it for a new one.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-06-2007, 22:22
The compression strap adjustment system is inside (http://images.rei.com/media/1020300.jpg)

The Wisconsinite
08-06-2007, 22:32
Ha! This is hilarious, I just opened up that image, and noticed the zipper on the inside of the top compartment. I had another pocket I didn't even know about. Sweet! Who knew? Life should be this good all the time.

Anyways, what do people use for strapping things onto their packs? Rope, some sort of stretchy cord, good old fashioned twine?

And what are these webbing straps you strap things to? I have mesh pockets, but no webbing that I know of. Do you just mean the strap that adjusts along the side of your hipbelt to your pack?

Appalachian Tater
08-06-2007, 22:40
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.html

You can see the straps on the sides of the pack, and on the back. I keep my tent vertically on the outside back of the pack and somtimes put my poles in the side pockets and strap them down. They are also compression straps and are stronger than the body of the pack.

Midway Sam
08-06-2007, 22:46
Ha! This is hilarious, I just opened up that image, and noticed the zipper on the inside of the top compartment. I had another pocket I didn't even know about. Sweet! Who knew? Life should be this good all the time.

Anyways, what do people use for strapping things onto their packs? Rope, some sort of stretchy cord, good old fashioned twine?

And what are these webbing straps you strap things to? I have mesh pockets, but no webbing that I know of. Do you just mean the strap that adjusts along the side of your hipbelt to your pack?

Just curious, did you buy this pack at an REI brick and mortar store, or did you buy it from the website? If you bought it at an REI store, I would be sorely disappointed. When I bought my first pack at REI, the guy wouldn't let me even try it on until he explained every single bell and whistle and why I "needed" said bells and whistles.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-06-2007, 22:49
Ha! This is hilarious, I just opened up that image, and noticed the zipper on the inside of the top compartment. I had another pocket I didn't even know about. Sweet! Who knew? Life should be this good all the time. This pack has all kinds of little pockets.
Anyways, what do people use for strapping things onto their packs? Rope, some sort of stretchy cord, good old fashioned twine? I use parachute cord.
And what are these webbing straps you strap things to? I have mesh pockets, but no webbing that I know of. Do you just mean the strap that adjusts along the side of your hipbelt to your pack?Yes, and then run the line over the flap that attached to the webbing that secures the lid.

The Wisconsinite
08-06-2007, 22:58
Off the REI website. I'm in NJ near NYC without a car, and thus far haven't figured out how to get to one via public transportation. I just picked up all new stuff, mostly off REI outlet, but this one was on sale and I used my joining gear mail coupon. I like it a lot though, even though it may not do all I want.

I was kind of making myself wait, thinking I should finally get something really good, but then I realized I'd be waiting for such a long time because I couldn't figure out how to get everything good all at once on my budget. So I finally said, I'm not buying into the "I need awesome perfect expensive gear" mantra, and just picked up everything I needed off REI outlet. It was the best decision I've ever made, like everything came together all at once, a tent came on sale for $70, (an REI sieera dome 2 (http://www.reioutlet.com/REI-Outlet/product/750075)) then I got 15% off the backpack on sale, and then I got a new pair of hiking shoes for $40. I just picked up a optimus crux stove (http://www.reioutlet.com/REI-Outlet/product/758704) for $40 too, so I'm doing pretty good for around $220 plus shipping. Oh, and a lexan spork for 93 cents, I got that too :)

earthbound
08-06-2007, 23:59
The rei return policy is that if you aren't 100% satisfied, you can bring it back. It sounds like you are having quite a lot of trouble with the pack (wrong size, broken things). A pack is a big deal- you want it to fit right and feel comfortable. You could bring it back to rei and then try on several other packs until you find the right one. they will explain everything to you about the packs (or try!) If you like the 45 UL you probably would like the 60 UL, the REI Ridgeline might be worth a shot as well. A trip to REI might be worth the drive so that you can look at a bunch of gear before you buy it- packs, tents, water stuff, cooking, and so on.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-07-2007, 07:59
Wisconsinite, you've mentioned some of your equipment and it is good gear, but on the heavy side for backpacking. You really may want to consider trading the UL 45 for a UL 60 (it cost $40 more). The UL 60 Cruise isn't that much different from the UL 45 Quick as to features. The weight -2# 9oz vrs 3# 2oz.

The big difference is the UL 60 has more space (3,661 cu. in. or 60 liters) and can handle a heavier load. Overloading the UL 45 is going to cause you back pain and ultimately will cause the pack to fail. It is designed to carry a max load of about 30 to 35 pounds - fine for people who have a top of the line down sleeping bag that packs down to nothing, use a tarp or tarptent and an alcohol stove -- Not good if your bag is closer to 3.5# and bulky, you are carrying a canister stove and 4+ lb tent.

Outlaw
08-07-2007, 08:54
I'm in NJ near NYC without a car, and thus far haven't figured out how to get to one via public transportation.

Campmor is located in NJ. You should check them out... it'll be worth the short bus trip or bumming a ride from a friend.

Toolshed
08-07-2007, 10:12
Did you also know about the little whistle incorporated on the chest compression strap??
We bought a couple of these when they were marked down to $39 last year. Not the greatest packs, but certainly they are handy and for only $39 work great for light overnights and lending to friends.

RadioFreq
08-07-2007, 10:46

I have an older REI 60. I carry my CCF mat vertically on the back of the pack held in place by two small, lightweight bungie cords hooked horizontally to the webbing straps.

My older pack has a series of webbing running down the back of both sides for me to strap anything to. Yours (based on the picture) apparently has only 3 rings (plastic?) on each side for strapping across the back. It would appear that REI has reduced the pack weight several ounces by going with the three sets of rings instead of the straps. I think your version is an improvement.

gearfreak
08-07-2007, 10:50
My pack has the same setup, but the top has velcro bands instead of the strings. I'll sometimes attach my trekking poles to these lash points when I'm hiking long flat areas. I don't think they're designed to hold much more weight than that. :cool:

The Wisconsinite
08-07-2007, 14:07
I think I might cut them off and replace them with parachute cord. It seems like the best thing to do since they're useless right now. Will that void the return policy? :) (I might leave em on a little while longer until I decide to return or keep the pack).

Appalachian Tater
08-07-2007, 14:11
Don't cut them off in case you want to return it.

Outlaw
08-07-2007, 14:51
Don't cut them off in case you want to return it.

I agree. You'll void the warranty. In its current condition, you could return it as a defective product.