PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike late Sept/early Oct

Scrollner
08-06-2007, 22:57
I'm planning a 5-6 day section hike for late Sept/early Oct. Anywhere south of the SNP is doable. Does anyone have any suggestions? (I'm used to hiking in FLA and just recently did some hiking on the AT)

Nearly Normal
08-07-2007, 00:34
Foothills Trail, time frame is perfect.

Nearly Normal

generoll
08-07-2007, 00:41
a few of us are planning a weeklong section hike of the BMT through the Smokies. fairly easy days, partly along troutstreams and with only a couple of significant climbs. Mid October is the timeframe.

Scrollner
08-07-2007, 14:12
What is the BMT???

buckowens
08-07-2007, 14:14
Just did Bly Gap to NOC in 5 days and it was very nice. Good water and a great workout!!

7Sisters
08-07-2007, 14:22
Hello Scrollner,

If you want to stay on the AT, I would recommend hiking a couple different places:

1 - Smokeys
2 - Roan Mtn area (to include Hump and Little Hump)
3 - Damascus north to Grayson Highlands

Honerable mentions:
There are also some other magnificent sections. One of my favorite views on the southern AT is from Spy rock. Another great trip would be starting just south of Dragons Tooth Cove and heading North past McAffee Knob and Tinkers Cliffs.

All of these trips are centered around spectacular views. I'm a huge fan of above tree line experience and large views and these places contain them.

If you're looking for more forrestry there are some other great spots.

Scrollner
08-07-2007, 14:23
7 Sisters,
Great to hear from you! I'm definitely into the views, If I wanted woods I'd stay on the FLA trail!

SawnieRobertson
08-07-2007, 18:57
Well, given the dates mentioned, I'd forget wanting to hike south of SNP. I'd start wherever and hike to Caledonia State Park and then get a ride to The Gathering.~~Kinnickinic

Scrollner
08-07-2007, 19:12
Well, given the dates mentioned, I'd forget wanting to hike south of SNP. I'd start wherever and hike to Caledonia State Park and then get a ride to The Gathering.~~Kinnickinic

Sounds like a great idea, but... I have to stay within a days drive of my home in Florida due to time constraints, which means the south of the SNP for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-07-2007, 19:22
What is the BMT???The Benton MacKaye trail (http://www.bmta.org/)

JHambone44
08-07-2007, 22:56
I am interested in finding people to hike with. Not many people that I can find that are into hiking. I live in South Florida, so as far as I have found it is not a popular thing to do. Are you looking for more people to join you, Generoll? If so, do you know the dates you'll be going?

Scrollner
08-09-2007, 17:44
a few of us are planning a weeklong section hike of the BMT through the Smokies. fairly easy days, partly along troutstreams and with only a couple of significant climbs. Mid October is the timeframe.

generoll - when you get some firm dates for this, let me know. Sounds like a great hike!

I am interested in finding people to hike with. Not many people that I can find that are into hiking. I live in South Florida, so as far as I have found it is not a popular thing to do. Are you looking for more people to join you, Generoll? If so, do you know the dates you'll be going?

Florida does seem to somewhat lacking with hiking interest. However there is the Florida trail, which is great to hike during the winter months, and the state forests have a trailwalker program, which has hikes in the state forests throughout the state. You could also look for a local hiking club on the Florida trail website: www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org)