PDA

View Full Version : New Backpack

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 00:01
I am in the market for a new backpack to hike the A.T. with. What are some inexpensive(150$-250$) backpacks, that are worth the money.

Nearly Normal
08-07-2007, 00:46
Granite Gear

Nearly Normal

Questtrek
08-07-2007, 01:05
Well ...there so many backpacks out there especially between your price range of $150 to $250. You could go to an outfitter and they could possibly set you up with a backpack that would be heavier then some peoples base weight. If your going to be hiking that AT you probably don't want a pack that weighs 7-8 lbs. You should decide if you want to go lightweight and buy your gear accordingly. Your backpack should be the last thing that you buy. If your gear weight is 15 lbs and under without food and water then you should take a look at some Gossamergear packs (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pack_matrix.html) or even these Six Moon Designs. (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=10&cat=Packs) If yor load is heavier 16 -19 then that I would probably take a look at the packs from Brian at ULA-Equipment (http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm). His packs can handle loads up to 40 lbs and are more durable then the others. Lighter weight of the backpacks doen't always mean that they will cost more. Sometimes they end up a lot less then those that you will be sold in an outfitters store. If your going really light then theres always packs by Fanatic Fringe. (http://www.fanaticfringe.com/page5.html) This is just to start you off. I like the Circuit from ULA and the Mariposa Plus from gossamergear myself. All of these are still under your $250 mark you set. Your pack and your sleeping bag will most likely be your most important choice fo comfort. Hope this helps you.

Heater
08-07-2007, 01:22
ULA packs are great but he has closed down shop until December.

Questtrek
08-07-2007, 01:30
Yeah, ULA is closed but you can still order and or check the distibutors listed to see if they have some in stock. If Icehiker12 is going to start the AT this fall then that won't work, but if he/she is starting next spring then it will work. ULA opens back up December 1st.
It all depends on what Icehiker12 wants. :)

sixhusbands
08-07-2007, 07:13
Gregory makes several, very durable packs that will withstand the daily grind of the AT. I use the Forester style, about 4300 inches and it can carry evrything you need and it is very comfortable. It is a bit pricey at $250 , but well worth the money in the long run.

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 11:25
Yes, I was thinking about the ULA backpacks but they are closed. I will be NOBO in spring 08. I liked the look of the Atmos 65 and the Aether 65, has anyone had experience with those packs.

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 11:40
i mean the Aether 60

big_muddy
08-07-2007, 11:44
I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. It is a wonderful pack and lighter than Gregory's.

iesman69
08-07-2007, 11:50
Gypsy04 has a GoLite Pinnacle for sale for $100 obo

Tobit
08-07-2007, 11:54
Which is a really nice pack. :cool:

- T

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 11:58
Yea i saw that, then looked on the website. It can hold a lot more than i thought it could, and its only around 1lb n 3oz.

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 12:00
1 lb n 9oz

Icehiker12
08-07-2007, 12:08
What about the GoLite Quest Pack?

floyd242
08-08-2007, 15:50
I went to a couple outfitters with a list of the packs I wanted to try. I'm a pretty big guy 6'2 250 so I knew it was going to be a pain to find something that fit right. I ended up with an Aether 70 L which is heavy but feels oh so good on my back compared to everything else I tried on. It wasnt even on my list because of its weight but I walked out of the store a happy man, I even payed full price and didnt care one bit. I've used it on 4 or 5 overnights and one 5day since then and I'm still happy with it.

I guess my point is, trying the packs on made all the difference.

I tried on the Atmos 55/65, granite gear vapor trail/nimbus meridian, multiple gregory packs, REI ridgeline (I think thats what its called) and a few others. Each with a 30-35lb load.

FWIW the nimbus meridian was a close second, but I knew the Aether would feel better with heaver loads and sometimes I like to pack more than I should... I may get a nimbus meridian in the near future just for the option.

Smudge
08-08-2007, 17:04
Gregory G-Pack!! Awesome pack. Very light and simple!!

cannonball
08-08-2007, 17:53
NOT ANYMORE;)

springerfever
08-08-2007, 20:02
I recently picked up a GG Nimbus Meridian from The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry which was on SALE. A spectacular pack that weighs about 3.5 lbs and can comfortably handle 35-40 lbs easily with a great suspension that is very easily adjusted. Swapped out the medium hipbelt and harness for large directly through Granite Gear, and they are a pleasure to work with.

Check out this review.........

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_nimbus_meridian_backpack_review.html

Its all about comfort and design so pick out a pack that fits YOU properly and load up YOUR stuff to compare size and carry.

Tobit
08-08-2007, 20:04
Check out this review.........

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/granite_gear_nimbus_meridian_backpack_review.html

Note that the review is only available to paid subscribers.

springerfever
08-08-2007, 20:18
Awfully sorry about that. I thought it would link over...........You can get a pretty good idea of the pack's merits by simply Googling ---Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian---and that won't cost a dime.

-or-

you can sign up for the year membership....lots of good information on the lightweight hiker gear/trends and ways to lighten the load.

Icehiker12
08-08-2007, 23:14
Yea thx,, will be headed to REI in the next few days to try on different packs.

Nightwalker
08-08-2007, 23:24
i mean the Aether 60

I totally wore out an Aether 60 over the last few years, and now use an Aether 75 so as to be able to carry my Dog's stuff as well. I'm going to send the 60 back to the factory to get reworked, and they won't even charge me for it.

Osprey makes the most amazing packs that I've used, and I've had some decent ones. Gregory and GG are good as well, which are two brands that I have*. I'm sure that there are many other good ones, but I'll never buy another HEAVY Jansport again. :)

-------------------------------------------------------

*I have the gearhead disease. It's just so tragic.

dbs
08-18-2007, 16:57
Trying them on is by far the best way to get what you want but if you decide you can't live without something from ULA I have a Circuit I wont be using again. Dave