PDA

View Full Version : Who's used the New JetBoil equipment?

Cindy from Indy
08-07-2007, 09:06
I really like the concept of the JetBoil way of cooking food while on the trail. However, I see the trail vets using tried and true equipment.

Just curious if anyone has any feedback regarding the new-fangled equipment?
Does the food stick terribly to the inside of the JetBoil mug or pan?
How does it handle in windy conditions?

Thanks for any and all feedback!:D

mrc237
08-07-2007, 09:26
If I'm cooking something using a JB I always put the olive oil in first then add food or water. If you keep the flame low you'll never burn food in the pot. Works fine in cold and windy conditions!

Pedaling Fool
08-07-2007, 11:33
If I'm cooking something using a JB I always put the olive oil in first then add food or water. If you keep the flame low you'll never burn food in the pot. Works fine in cold and windy conditions!
I do the same. When I first got the JB I made the mistake of putting either powdered milk or hot chocolate in it with water then boiling it. It burned to my cup and took forever to get the stuff out.

I use a regular backpacking pot with the JB. I've looked at the new JB pot, but have never used it, it seems too bulky for my needs.

hopefulhiker
08-07-2007, 15:10
I used the Jet Boil on the first part of the trail in 05. It is really fool proof and boils water fast.. but I dropped it in favor of a light weight alcohol stove..

digger51
08-08-2007, 00:54
I love my Jet Boil. Since I use the freezer bag method of cooking (putting my meals in a ziplock freezer bag and adding boiling water) I don't have any problem with food sticking. Just boil water and pour it into the bag.

neo
08-10-2007, 12:27
I really like the concept of the JetBoil way of cooking food while on the trail. However, I see the trail vets using tried and true equipment.

i have been using my jetboil 2 and a half years now,i just bought the pot stabilizer last week http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Pot-Support i mainly boil water backpacking,but i break out the fry pan kayaking and car camping:cool: neo

neo
08-10-2007, 12:33
I love my Jet Boil. Since I use the freezer bag method of cooking (putting my meals in a ziplock freezer bag and adding boiling water) I don't have any problem with food sticking. Just boil water and pour it into the bag.

i use my jetboil for freezer bag cooking,here is the spoon i use and highly recommend http://www.rei.com/product/745318 it long handled for diggig deep,i love it:cool: neo

neo
08-10-2007, 12:40

jetboil not that new been around over 3 years now:cool: neo

neo
08-10-2007, 12:43

here is a pic of the president of jetboil i stayed at his house in hanover on my section hike in oct 2005:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9043&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9044&c=member&imageuser=3462

he is holding my jetboil in this picture

Cindy from Indy
08-10-2007, 12:59
Thanks Neo,

You certainly do seem to have the right connections regarding this product! :D

I think I will get one and mess around with it and see what it's limits are.

Thanks for the input!!