PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Georgia Campsite

THEmapMAKER
08-07-2007, 13:10
Does anyone know of any campsites between Gooch Mountian Shelter and Woody Gap?

THEmapMAKER
08-07-2007, 13:26
Are there campsites at grassy gap?

Appalachian Tater
08-07-2007, 14:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=340867

Get the pdf database from above the Article Menu on that page. It seems like there are campsites in that stretch.

max patch
08-07-2007, 14:20
1. Gooch Gap for sure. 2. The site of the old Gooch Gap Shelter - anyone know if this is easily found? Been a while since I've been there. 3. Top of Ramrock Mtn has a campsite, but no water IIRC. Best spot of all these for views.

Dances with Mice
08-07-2007, 16:16
Along that stretch I remember there being many places where one could pitch a tent and some places where one could get water but the only place to pitch a tent near water was Gooch Gap.

Kerosene
08-07-2007, 18:11
There are some pretty tent sites (but no water) at the summit of Ramrock Mountain, about two miles south of Woody Gap I think. Great view all the way to the Atlanta skyline on a clear day.

FatMan
08-07-2007, 19:59
There are several campsites in that stretch. However, campsites near water are few. As mentioned, there is a large camping area at Gooch Gap with water nearby. The water is down a steep path and is marked with a sign. The area is right at FS42 so lots of people often set up camp in the area. There has been a huge blue tarp pitched with a mean dog for the past three weeks.

Another option with water is at Grassy Gap. About 1.0 mile north of Gooch Gap you will cross over the old Grassy Gap roadbed. Follow the roadbed down about 50 yards and you will see Grassy Gap Branch is to the right. The creek runs year round and is fed by springs. You can camp anywhere on the old roadbedbut watch out for poison ivy.

Grinder
08-07-2007, 20:41
not quite whqt you qsked, but there is a nice camp site on a stream about three miles past woody gap. Has a nice big cleared area with a fire ring.

there is a nice campsite a mile an a half before the new Gooch Shelter at a creek too.

I don't recall anything with water right where you are asking

THEmapMAKER
08-08-2007, 13:26
Thank you all for your suggestions. It think I will be staying at grassy gap like FatMant suggested!

cutman11
08-08-2007, 22:16
LOL this thread reminds me of when I was hiking that section. I had planned to camp right on that great view spot at ramrock, but when I arrived, there, laid out before my eyes, was a large red and white checkered tablecloth, an empty picnic basket with a couple empty wine bottles, and a guy and girl....well, lets just say they were "celebrating" their anniversary or some similar holiday...needless to say, I moved on before "coitus interruptus" occurred.....LOL...

Nightwalker
08-08-2007, 22:35
1. Gooch Gap for sure. 2. The site of the old Gooch Gap Shelter - anyone know if this is easily found? Been a while since I've been there. 3. Top of Ramrock Mtn has a campsite, but no water IIRC. Best spot of all these for views.

The old shelter site is just to the left as you cross the road at the gap. The camping there is very good. The water was nice just a few feet further, at least in May.