PDA

View Full Version : Rock Climbing.

FFTorched
08-07-2007, 13:51
I am trying to break into the sport and wondering if any of you climb. Yesterday I went to REI and bought some Madrock Phoenix shoes and a Black Diamond Momentum harness. It came with a caribiner and belay device. I was wondering what else I need or where I can go. Obviously I need rope but I'm not at the stage where I'm climbing out of a gym I want some experience with belaying and climbing first. I go to the gym tonight to check it out, I will probably get a membership.

Also if anybody knows any good sites with imformation. I also ordered the Mountaineering handbook of Amazon last night and should have it around friday.

Outlaw
08-07-2007, 14:57
Check out Eastern Mountain Sports. They have a climbing school. http://www.emsclimb.com/.

Gym climbing is awesome, but it is a lot different than being on rock.

shelterbuilder
08-07-2007, 22:18
I am trying to break into the sport and wondering if any of you climb. Yesterday I went to REI and bought some Madrock Phoenix shoes and a Black Diamond Momentum harness. It came with a caribiner and belay device. I was wondering what else I need or where I can go. Obviously I need rope but I'm not at the stage where I'm climbing out of a gym I want some experience with belaying and climbing first. I go to the gym tonight to check it out, I will probably get a membership.

Also if anybody knows any good sites with imformation. I also ordered the Mountaineering handbook of Amazon last night and should have it around friday.

There used to be two indoor climbing "palaces" in the Reading area: Cliffhangers (near Fairgrounds Square Mall in Muhlenberg Township), and Reading Rocks (?) near the Berkshire Mall in (I think) Wyomissing or West Reading. I haven't climbed in years, and I'm not sure if they are still in business, but you might want to start there.

Toolshed
08-08-2007, 10:14
FFT , I cannot help you with the NC locale, but I used to climb and I did work at a climbing gym in the NorthEast for a few years.
Get a good harness and spend good on your shoes. It makes a difference. You will learn to belay at the gym as well as a basic pulley toprope setup.
Once you start to become experienced and comfortable on the wall and with your form (3-6) months, you might wish to try try some toproping outside.

Most Gyms have networks of folks who take weekend trips to crags in various areas to toprope. I am sure you will make many friends and learn quickly about the sport.

shelterbuilder
08-08-2007, 11:36
Hey, when I posted the info for the Reading area, I thought that your location was Hershey. Sorry about that.