PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottles on a Z-55

Passionphish
08-07-2007, 19:31
I purchased the Gregory Z-55 backpack and love it!!! I just love it. But it has one major set back. No water bottle pockets. I'm considering taking a drop pouch (probably a gas mask) to carry two bottles and some extra stuff. But if there is a better way I want to know.

I've looked at the "add-on" water bottle pockets from various manufacturers and I just can't settle on one. Any body got some suggestions?

The Wisconsinite
08-07-2007, 20:00
Sew a mesh pocket on with some elastic to hold in the bottle. Or, if you can find it, rip one off an old pack and sew it on. It would be really easy sewing too, like hemming pants I bet. Or sewing something on the hipbelt to hold one sideways, although that would require some figurin'.

bigcranky
08-07-2007, 20:34
Dana Designs made something called a Wet Rib, which is a pouch that hangs from the shoulder harness. It holds a water bottle and some snacks, camera, that sort of thing. We have a couple of them floating around, and they are useful. I think Marmot is making the Dana gear now, you might check.

burger
08-08-2007, 09:53
I have a Z-pack, too. I carry my water bottle in a little bottle holder (basically just a foam cylinder about 3" wide and 6" high - something a lot like this (http://www.monash.edu.au/merchandise/water-bottle-holder.html)) that I attach to the front of my shoulder straps with a few long pieces of velcro. This was the perfect size for a 1-L coke bottle.

D'Artagnan
08-08-2007, 11:42
I look at this pack every time I visit my local outfitter and the absence of side mesh pockets for water bottles has been the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. I think Gregory goofed majorly on this one. Who is in their design department? Mustn't be too many LD hikers.

Passionphish
08-08-2007, 19:29
I don't think so either D'ARtagnan. I love the pack. It is robust for its weight and easily organized. But the water bottle thing is just a major stickler. I "pulled the trigger" due to the toughness of the pack. All the other light and fast packs were either uncomfortable or to flimsy. But this pack REALLY needs water pockets. If only just one.

Long Stride
12-31-2007, 13:51
I found a real simple inexpensive water bottle holder called the AQUACLIP for only $3.00, price included shipping, and it works great on backpacking trips. The Aquaclip snaps on the water bottle neck then clips to your belt, pocket, or waistband like a canteen. I like to clip my spare bottle of water where its more accessible to reach while hiking, and this neat little bottle holder allows me to do that. Another great thing about the Aquaclip is that its made in USA.

Long Stride
12-31-2007, 13:55
The Aquaclip has a website at www.aquaclip.com (http://www.aquaclip.com)

whitelightning
12-31-2007, 14:13
I also have the z pack and have had the same complaint. I use a OR bottle holder that I can attach to the hipbelt. I use the 1 liter size. It's fairly simple and lightweight. I also use a camelbak style hydration system with the pack.

Here's a link to OR bottle holder: http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_insulat_organize/WBT

chezrad
12-31-2007, 14:14
It's interesting that I stumbled on this thread today as well as another about carrying water. :-? I just finished an article about front water carriers yesterday.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31150

This was my solution for this very problem. :sun

PS. Does the pack look familiar?

Deadeye
12-31-2007, 14:43
I sold my Z in part because of the lack of pocket (but mostly because it hit me in th a$$ wrong. All of the above appear to be good solutions, another is the Mountainsmith sidekick water bottle holster. Good luck.

Passionphish
12-31-2007, 21:39
Deadeye: I have sold my Z as well. This is an old post. But I went with a GoLite Pinnacle instead. It had all I wanted and none of what I didn't. I did have to add a hipbelt pocket. But I grabbed one from Gossamer Gear for cheap. It works perfect!