PDA

View Full Version : sobo thru hike starting late september/early oct?

timbo6585
08-07-2007, 23:15
i've been wanting to hike the AT for a few years now and would be able to start this september. i would be starting sometime between the 25th and the very end of september.

how possible or realistic is this? i dont have a lot of winter hiking experience, but i think if i get the right gear and hike wisely i'd be alright. my biggest concern from the little bit i've read is getting through the whites and mt washington. from what i see it takes about 4 to 5 weeks, so i'd be going through there by early november. im assuming the 4 to 5 weeks is a 20 mile a day average. if possible i could push to a minimum of 25-30 miles a day just for the first few weeks if it meant a safer passage through the whites.

while im at the whites is it possible just to play it by ear and make a push through when it appears relatively safe, or is it always pretty hairy up there in november?

after i get through that area do i have much to worry about as i continue south concerning severe winter weather? my other question which will probably reveal my greenness is what do you do about rivers in cold weather? i know just walking through rivers in the warm summer is no worry, but how do you deal with that in winter?

thanks for the advice and suggestions. if it seems possible im definitely interested in giving it a try this fall, but if it seems to dangerous ill probably look into the florida trail or something.

-tim

thestin
08-07-2007, 23:46
I've always thought that the time you're talking about would be a great time to start a hike because of the fall weather.

Unless you're a very strong hiker, 20 miles a day sounds very ambitious. Days start getting pretty short by that time in the fall.

DavidNH
08-07-2007, 23:57
Timbo,

You most likely will run into problems big time. Assuming you start at Katahdin October 1 and you have optimum weather condtions.. you might hit the Mahoosics and then the whites in 3-4 weeks if you are anything less than a speed hiker with amazing endurance. Maine is tough!!!

The **** will hit the fan so to speak when you get to New Hampshire. By mid October Winter frequently is setting in (if you haven't already had it damn cold and snowy in the Maine Mountains you sure as heck will in the whites!). Winter in the whites is serious business. In the presidentials.. sub zero windchills and conditions requiring full winter gear are a real possibility.
In the Whites you will be hiking at elevations of 4000-6000 feet and you have a full day stretch above tree line in the presidentials. Additionally, the Madison and Lakes of the Clouds huts close up by mid October!!

Now You could hike from Katahdin as far as Grafton Notch, then jump ahead (hitch or be driven) to Hanover, NH and continue then finish up missed section another time. But then your hike will be a section hike and not a thru hike.

I will add that you COULD see winter conditions in Maine (on the Bigelows, Saddleback, the Mahoosics) as early as mid October. It is VERY likely you will find winter conditions in the higher elevations of the Whites by mid to late October.

If I were in your shoes, I'd aim to get through the white mountains by Columbus day at the very latest, and preferably a week earlier!!!

DavidNH

DavidNH
08-08-2007, 00:04
25-30 miles per day in Maine? Its one of the most beautiful states on the trail. You wanna rush through it?? Much of the state you ain't gonna be doing that kinda milage. The Mahoosics are very rugged and will slow you down. The 100 mile wilderness is no picnic. You have streams to ford. Forget about bridges! There are plenty more mountains in the state and the treadway is some of the trails roughest. Aim for more like 15-20 miles per day in Maine. Even that is VERY ambitious!

The whites in November? Don't even think about it unless you are fully equipped, have crampons and ice axe for the higher peaks and full winter gear and skills! As I said in my previous post, by Columbus day the weather goes down hill and winter sets in most years.

David

timbo6585
08-08-2007, 00:15
thanks for the feedback. it doesn't sound very reasonable to try the AT right now. id still love to do it but i dont have a death wish nor the severe winter hiking experience to try getting through that area during november. i was reading up on mount washington at wikipedia and it doesn't seem like something to mess with.

i guess ill save the AT for another day and check out some other trails for this fall, thanks for the advice.

thestin
08-08-2007, 00:23
You could still have a great experience by starting further south, especially if you like hiking in cooler weather. The only drawback would be hunting season...but that would be a problem no matter where you started.

Even if you started at the halfway point and went south, you could have a great time.

Just my 2 cents.

hammock engineer
08-08-2007, 07:04
Good Call. I am in Andover, ME right now waiting out a little rain. It took me 26 days to make it 246.4 miles. Maine has some of the toughest hiking that I have ever seen. The biggest difference is that it is prolonged hard, and not in little sections. There are longs sections of rocks and roots. When there is dirt it is usually flooded out or muddy. A few places are nice though. There are easy parts, but there have only really been 3 sections so far that I think we doable for me in turning out 16 miles per day.

Having said that, I really like hiking in Maine. I would love to come back and spend the month of August rehiking it sometime. Great swimming to be had all over the place.

When my TJ post for yesterday comes up in a few days give it a read. www.trailjournals.com/nater (http://www.trailjournals.com/nater) . I was really cold, and saw a couple young girls in a hiking group almost hypothermic. It was 50 deg +/-, but what blowing rain and sustained winds. Nothing to take lightly. In the time frame you are looking at it would be a lot colder and the same conditions.

Something else to consider is that you would not see hardly anyone. That doesn't leave a lot of room for error should you hurt yourself.

Maybe you should consider a long section hike. Figure out where the southbounders are when you want to start, and start south then. If it helps there are 4 more here, probibly 4 within a day or so ahead of me. The bulk is a couple weeks ahead of me now. Probibly in the whites or just south.

TJ aka Teej
08-08-2007, 07:31
There will be many hikers heading south from Katahdin in September, mostly Flip-Floppers. I always advise late season MEGAs to plan on getting south of Mt Washington by Oct 1st. The Ferryman will tell you that he sees southheading hikers right up till he hangs up his paddles.

sixhusbands
08-08-2007, 08:38
I started my SOBO on Labor day and I had cold rain and snow all through the trip. But I was prepared for it.. crampons, -15 bag, plenty of cold weather clothing, extra food and goggles. Very few stoves work well in the winter and you will need to keep your water from freezing. Trust me , trudging through snow and slush will slow down even the strongest of hikers. Your pace will be slower and you will be burning more just to keep warm! This something that is very critcal when you plan out your meals. You are alone most days on the AT and a lot of places are closed for the winter seasons, so you do not get the luxury of the goodies at the huts or the trail angels.

I do not paint a pretty picture but it can be done.... but 20 mile days are unlikely until you get out of Vermont. Plan , Plan , Plan and be carefull!

mrc237
08-08-2007, 08:53
Do a SB Long Trail Hike! http://www.greenmountainclub.org/ or go NB from Mass. if it gets too cold there are plenty of bailout places.

DavidNH
08-08-2007, 09:36
Timbo,

MRC 237 has a great idea. If you wanna do a trip starting late september early October hike the Long Trail Southbound (Canada border to Mass Border). You get good insight into long distance hiking and 100 miles of the trip are part of the AT. I think hiking the Long Trail is the best training you can possibly get for hiking the AT. If possible allow a month to do this 270 mile trail. Allow three weeks as an absolute minimum.

The scenery will be great and of course Vermont is world famous for is fall colors!

You may run into some winter weather but I would say Mt Mansfield would be your only real concern. In anycase it won't be nearly as harsh as the Whites.

Hiking South you finish at Williamstown, Ma and can then get a bus back to where ever home is for you.
David

hammock engineer
08-08-2007, 10:07
I was on the Long Trail in the north last October. The nights were a little chilly, but great days. The trail was a little hard to follow in places with all the downed leaves, but that makes it fun. The northern LT shelters are more like small cabins than the AT shelters too. I a little nicer in bad weather. I was told it was a mild October too.

Mags
08-08-2007, 10:15
MRC 237 has a great idea. If you wanna do a trip starting late september early October hike the Long Trail Southbound (Canada border to Mass Border).

I third (4th?) that idea. The LT in fall will be awesome! Go SoBo to walk with fall. I'll add one final suggest, go ~20 miles further south trailwise and finish on Greylock. What a better place to finish a New England fall hike of the LT than the highest point of Massachusetts? You'll enjoy the view of the autumn leaves all over the hill sides. Well worth the extra time to finish there.

firemountain
08-13-2007, 20:36
Everybody that has already replied to this thread speaks the truth. I am going to say though that a winter thru hike can be done and has been done many times. If you are experienced and enjoy the cold then you could have a great time. I will be starting my thru this year on Oct 8. Despite being in great shape and having a winter thru under my belt already I will not be doing 25 mile days in Maine. Maine and NH are tough! I also know and understand that the weather can do anything.

Last year in the whites on Oct 3 I stated at Pinkham Notch and went to Mizpah hut which was a 14hour day... this year Mizpah will not be open when I arrive. There are several possibilities but I will wait to decide.

I love hiking!

Katherine
09-02-2007, 06:58
where would you suggest starting? I too will be hiking in Sept several years from now, southbound.
-katherine

emerald
09-02-2007, 11:56
A SOBO End-to-End of the LT could continue to Springer Mountain. A NOBO AT/IAT hike from The Maine Junction to Katahdin or Cap Gaspé could follow at a later time when the weather is more favorable.

In some respects what I describe above is the opposite of what many others have done before by completing a NOBO A.T. hike and later finishing Vermont's Long Trail. At least some thru-hikers are worn down to the point they don't have much left by the time they reach Katahdin and it's too late in the season to even think about the IAT.

Maybe someday it will become common to hike from Springer Mountain or some point south of it to Canada via Vermont's Long Trail and pick up the next year at the Maine Junction?