PDA

View Full Version : Sources For Small, Reliable (No Leak) Zip Closure Bags ?

headchange4u
08-08-2007, 16:14
I have been trying to find a source for small zip closure bags, like those shown at BPL (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/microzip_2x3_bags.html). 3.19 + shipping for 16 bags in not a good deal, IMHO.

I would like to get some various sizes for carrying stuff like hebs and spices, Parmesan cheese, fire starters, etc. I wanna find some that will stay closed in a pack and do not easily leak or tear easily. I won't be carrying liquids in them but they still need to be reliable.

I would like to find a store that sells them so that I won't have to pay shipping costs by ordering them from the internet.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-08-2007, 16:34
I use "snack size" ziplocs. At 3 x 6, bigger than the ones you show, but I use them for exactly what you're going to.

Off topic, but do you know about the central KY get together this weekend? Have you checked out the new outdoor store in Richmond?

peanuts
08-08-2007, 17:02
hc4u, rei carries the bags that you are speaking off. they come in 2 sizes and i think they are $.10/$.15 each. i use them to carry spices, nido, batteries, cell, and some of other nickknacks.

SloHiker
08-08-2007, 17:03
Good selection and the only drawback is that you must order in quantity which is really no big deal as you can use them for years and share with others. I've been dealing with them for years as a good source for all sorts of materials for DIY projects.
http://http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?sesnextrep=621930126999960&partnum=&pagenum=1414&cad=&psearch=&selectfamily=&search=&pagetype=&catnum=112

SloHiker
08-08-2007, 17:06
Try this link .....

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?sesnextrep=621930126999960&partnum=&pagenum=1414&cad=&psearch=&selectfamily=&search=&pagetype=&catnum=112

mikeinFHAZ
08-08-2007, 18:28
breast milk bags. about 3x6" and have double zip closure. Made by Lansinoh. when my son was younger, I stole these from mama and used them for various items. find 'em anywhere.

RockStar
08-08-2007, 18:47
Not zip closure but, odor proof. www.ursack.com

Nightwalker
08-08-2007, 22:41
Go to a crafts-type store like Michaels ar Hobby Lobby. You can buy them cheap there. My ma-in-law has 'em byt the butt-load. I also take meds in them. We call them "crack bags," but those would likely be a bit smaller, I'm guessing. :sun

digger51
08-09-2007, 10:28
If you know someone in the military they sell them in the military clothing stores in packs that include sizes from small one ounce to up to one gallon. These are so strong I use them to pack dry clothes in to put in my pack.

Cuffs
08-09-2007, 10:53
Nightwalker beat me to it...

Craft stores have great mini zip locks in various sizes, 1x2, 2x3... Crafty people use them for beads and such, so Im sure they work pretty good. WallyWorld has a variety pack of them for less that $3 for 15 or 10 of them...

headchange4u
08-09-2007, 11:02
i
I use "snack size" ziplocs. At 3 x 6, bigger than the ones you show, but I use them for exactly what you're going to.

Off topic, but do you know about the central KY get together this weekend? Have you checked out the new outdoor store in Richmond?

No, I didn't know about the gathering this weekend. Got details?

I have seen the new store in Ricmond. It's "Mike's Hike & Bike". It's a small store but they do carry some nice gear. They have Golite packs.

Go to a crafts-type store like Michaels ar Hobby Lobby. You can buy them cheap there. My ma-in-law has 'em byt the butt-load. I also take meds in them. We call them "crack bags," but those would likely be a bit smaller, I'm guessing. :sun

That's great. I will check Micheals when I get a chance. I will also check out WalMart.

whitefoot_hp
08-09-2007, 16:16
you can also get a set of small nalgene bottles, might weigh a bit more but are more managable.

headchange4u
08-10-2007, 09:10
I have small Nalgene bottles that I use for things like soap, olive oil, etc: mostly liquids. They take up a lot of space in my pack, plus there are some things, like spices, that I don't carry enough to use a Naglene bottle. The little bags would be handy.

whitefoot_hp
08-10-2007, 12:29
true. i have seen a thing at wally world that is a small salt shaker type deal but has three small compartments in it for carrying different seasonings... might check that out...

Crazy Legs
08-10-2007, 15:49
I've used a regular zip lock baggie with a "skin"of duct tape. Not hard to make, durable, easy to patch 'if' necessary.

headchange4u
08-10-2007, 16:30
I've used a regular zip lock baggie with a "skin"of duct tape. Not hard to make, durable, easy to patch 'if' necessary.

That's a pretty good idea. I may try that.

headchange4u
08-10-2007, 22:27
I went by Micheal's tonight and bought 200 2x3" bags for 2.79. 200 for less than 3 bucks. Sweet deal.

I took one of bags and blew air in it and then squeezed it to check the durability of the bag and the zipper seal. It took a couple of really hard squeezes and the bag popped but the zip closure held. Seem pretty tough to me.

atraildreamer
08-11-2007, 10:29
See post #13:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9552

wudhipy
08-11-2007, 14:58
:cool:We've used a combination of small Nalgenes for stuff like coffee and other repeat don't wanna mix with other items especially liquids. We,ve always used regular zip loc bags just being careful of the placement in the pack so as not to subject them to undue pressures. We're gonna be in Richmond sometime soon...where is this new outfitter?

headchange4u
08-11-2007, 16:44
Mike's Hike and bike on on Main St, close to the intersetion of Lancaster Ave.